[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.38 MB, 896x1280, 1366746996041.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
465524 No.465524 [Reply] [Original]

Howdy /diy/, /k/ommando here. Was wondering if you guys had a preference as to a whetstone for sharpening blades? I usually have my grandfather do up all of my blades, but he's getting on in years and I don't want to bother him with it, so I was looking into doing it myself. Specifically looking to sharpen smaller pocket knives. Any help would be much appreciated.

Will dump some random survival shit in the meantime.

>> No.465527
File: 36 KB, 400x399, 1366746787397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bamp.

>> No.465528

>>465524
Just about any artificial stone of correct grit will work. A softer stone will make sharpening faster because it won't get build up swarf on it. A softer stone will deform faster and you'll need to flatten it from time to time. Stones with two types of grit are nice.

>> No.465529
File: 354 KB, 856x1193, 1366746916911.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>465528

Thanks for the quick response. What is considered a "correct grit"? Sorry, knives are not as much my forte as firearms.

>> No.465531

>>465529
I'm not that other anon and can't help much on grit selection, other than to say you don't usually need a coarse stone unless the blade is all fucked-up (machetes and camp knives usually need that). If it's a pocketknife or field knife that doesn't see much blade-nicking damage, medium to fine will do. Some people just use diamond plate, which has fine diamond shards in it. That's also what you'd use to flatten a whetstone face. Use a little oil when sharpening, too.

>> No.465532 [DELETED] 

>>465524
ask gramps fool, the faggots round these parts all just learned off youtube like me. speaking of that . . .

http://www.youtube.be/Lm53mCOQTR8

>> No.465533

>>465531

Thanks for picking up the thread. What type of oil would you recommend? Like, cooking oil, motor oil, CLP?

>> No.465534
File: 24 KB, 448x542, 1366747095270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>465532

I would, but usually asking a question like that leads to something like...

"Oh, you wanna learn how to sharpen knives, eh? Funny story about that, oh hang on, I gotta check my blood levels, I'm hungry, you wanna grab something to eat?"

I love my grampa, but he's a silly guy...

>> No.465555

>>465533
You can use water or oil on a whetstone, but you don't actually need a lubricant. It aids in removing the swarf. The type of oil actually doesn't matter, but a mineral oil or thread cutting oil won't gunk up your whetstone like say Canola oil would if let to dry if you forgot to clean it one time. If you get a waterstone, you have to use water and not oil on it. You can also use diamond polishing grits to make a slurry if you want a really nice mirror shine.

>>465529
The rougher or duller the knife edge the larger the grit. The sharper the edge gets and the smoother the blade the smaller the grit. It is like sanding wood. Unless you really screw up your blade edge, just use a medium to fine grit.

>> No.465563

I like Naniwa stones. They are a rather hard stone. I use an 800 and a 3000, then finish up with some of the white compound on a strop. Leaves your knives sharp enough to shave with.

>> No.465592

I use an original Colorado Beaver Teeth Sharpener my asshole bio-dad left behind. It's 2 ceramic rods set at the proper angle. It works great for maintaining an edge. I saw that Spyder makes a similar thing for sale on amazon.

>> No.465646

>>465524
whetstones are an overrated waste of time.

use a steel honing rod normally.
If a blade is really dull, then use a ceramic honing rod until it is kinda sharp, and then switch to the steel rod.
But don't use the ceramic rod normally, because it takes off metal every time it is used.

"but it don't sharpen serrated knives well?" yea, that is true...
...but nothing really does other than the CNC setup that made the blade in the first place. get smooth-ege knives from now on.

>> No.465686

>>465646
Honing is different than just sharpening. You hone after you've done the initial sharpening. Honing maintains the edge between uses while sharpening repairs or an edge or finishes creating an edge.

A honing rod is something you use after you've used your knife, before you use it again, or after you've used a whetstone to get rid of the burr.

>> No.465701

>465524

You should ask your grandfather to teach you how he does it. It'll be a great experience and you'll get way more out of his feedback on your own technique than from this internet site.

>> No.465708

>>465524
maybe gramps would be willing to show you his technique?