[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 6 KB, 201x251, im.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
46167 No.46167 [Reply] [Original]

i am trying to make my own vodka i am trying to do so without it being costly or timely does anyone have any ideas?

>> No.46173

>>46167
You won't be able to do it cheaply, unless you are distilling a rather large amount of vodka. Also, if you live in the US, it is a felony to make your own spirits without a permit

>> No.46175

>>46167
not sure about making it from scratch, but i know if you fill a big bottle with chunks of pineapple and pour vodka on top then let it sit in the fridge for 10 days, it's amazing. tastes only like pineapple.

>> No.46191

ONE ADVISE:

Don't. It seems you are not experianced at the field of home-destillation.
Making Vodka is hard. You must yeast potataos n shit, then destillate it without methanol getting in your ways. And the Making of Vodka includes LOTS of Methanol.

To gain experiance in this field I suggest:
- Make a Sugar/Water mixture.
- Yeast it
- Slowly destillate it, Everything that comes out from 65 degrees Celsius to 75 degrees is methanol.
- Pour away the Methanol
- Raise Temperature to 78 degrees
- 90-95% Ethanol (good alc) comes out. result depends on the type of destill and the process
- Mix it 1:1 with water. This makes it drinkable
- Flavour it. You don't want to drink pure alc, do you?

>> No.46198

>>46175
tepache motherfucker! do you drink it?

http://patismexicantable.com/2010/07/crazy-for-tepache.html

>> No.46209

Make moonshine instead

>> No.46218

You know all those old tales of moonshine making people go blind?

Yeah, that actually happened. It's methanol poisoning.

Distilling your own spirits is awesome. But get some experience under your belt first.

This will take the two things you said you didn't want to spend on this project Time and Money. Fuck this up and your Vodka could leave your blind. Forever.

>> No.46226

step 1: buy 200 proof alcohol
step 2: pour in some water

There you go. You have made your own vodka

>> No.46230

>>46226
NOPE.jpg

>> No.46322
File: 86 KB, 298x288, 1315161313674.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>46218
That is a fucking myth.

I could not even make methanol is I wanted to. Dry distillation is not something you do at home.

You would have to be the biggest screw-up on earth to make methanol while trying to make ethanol.

Those stories came from people mixing methanol into their moonshine to make it stronger, of drinking methylated spirits.

>> No.46324

>>46322
Or making their still out of an old radiator and not cleaning out the antifreeze.

>> No.46334

>>46226

That's how you make Popov vodka.

>> No.46338

>2011
>not calling it wodka

>> No.46341

>>46322
>>46218

You can avoid that by making kombucha instead of vodka. It just looks grosser.

>> No.46344

>>46167
The oil industry uses activated charcoal with a specific aperture size in the granules to cold-distill ethanol up to the level where it can be used as vehicle fuel, and you can buy this type of activated charcoal online. I did the research a few years ago on how this is done, but I never bought any of the stuff to try it myself. Allegedly there is also a way to use dry ice to cold-distill, but I never got it to work.

At any rate distillation without a license is illegal, and you should not attempt it without the proper licensing.

>> No.46381

>>46167
make a airlock/bubbler thingy (don't know the name) or go by one
get a still or make one yourself (i did that)
get a big container with a lid or cap.

If you want to make lots of ethanol cheap,pour 20L of water (no chlorine) in to a big and REALLY clean container, add 3-4kg of sugar stir it up real good.. then add regular baking yeast 50 to 100grams is just fine, put on the lid and leave it alone for 3-5days at around 20degrees Celsius.
now it shouldn't bubble any longer.

here comes the part where you have to be careful, you don't want yeas in the still, as it will leave a bad taste in the ethanol. separate the brew from the yeast, i would recommend pumping the up the brew, (or from the start using a container with a tap, so you could first tap off the yeast and let it settle, tap a little of the brew and discard that, then use the rest) , so you don't have to move the batch, and you don't stir the brew, this minimize the risk of the yeas whirling up from the bottom.

let the rest of the batch rest for a day, and check if any yeast have settled, get rit of that.

when you have collected your brew and it is as free yeast, distillate it, collect the output when the steam reach 73 to 85 Celsius..

distillate it once more from 73 to 80, if done right you should end up with something like 90 to 93% ethanol..

made a electronic controlled fermenter and still for a school project.

>> No.46443

step1: find chemistry grade ethanol (~100%) form chemistry supplier
step2: dilute to taste, or be a man and take it straight
step3: ?????
step4: profit

>> No.46452

>>46443

>step4: profit

step4: get drunk

>> No.46511

>>46443
Step4: encounter bitrex

>> No.46531

>>46511

wouldn't that be in step2 ??

also from most diy brew shops (ausbrew if you live in australia)
you can pick up flavorings for ethanol such as whiskey, baileys , ect.
but im not sure if they would have flavoring for vodka or if you would need one.

>> No.46797

>>46443

>step 1: buy 200 proof alcohol
>step 2: pour in some water

At work, I have access to 200 proof USP grade Ethanol. We use it as a solvent and cleaner. I (of course) took a sip of it, and it nearly removed the skin from my tongue.

Important Safety Tip: Don't forget Step 2.

>> No.46802

buy the cheapest vodka you can get.... run it through a water filter however many times it takes for you to stand it...

mythbusters proven.

>> No.46825
File: 112 KB, 604x453, NOT-SURE-IF-TROLL-OR-JUST-VERY-STUPID-%28n1299498207760%29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>46322

>> No.47235

>>46797
What you had was probably denatured, so as not to be taxed as booze, which keeps the price way down.

>> No.47662

>>46825
Oh shit son, a reaction image. Oh boy do I look stupid now.

The most common way to make methanol is dry-distillation of wood. Not something you just happen to do while making your own moonshine.

>> No.47697

>>47662

Also, ethanol (supposed to be the main component of moonshine) is an antidote to methanol.

>> No.47727

In russia Vodka may be cost is 3$ of bottle, but i like pure alcohol.
Try find medical spirit in any drugstore, it pure Ethanol, drink it.

>> No.47732
File: 456 KB, 220x147, 220px-Ethanol_CPK_ani.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>47727
Also, remember it:
methanol -> technickal spirit - DEAD or ILL
ethanol -> medication and eating spirit - HAPPY

>> No.47739 [DELETED] 

>>47727
Also, remember it:
methanol -> technickal spirit - DEAD or ILL
ethanol -> medication and eating spirit - HAPPY

yep

>> No.47740

Holy hell, there is such an amazing amount of misinformation in this thread.

Google "Making a world class distillation Apparatus" and start reading the Homedistillers.org forum.

It is exceptionally hard to produce dangerous amounts of methanol with traditional fermentation, not nearly enough to kill you are make you blind - hell of a hangover and shitty, woody tasting alcohol but not dead.

>> No.47743
File: 469 KB, 1127x1590, mini_explained.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For a bunch of self-professed diyers, you guys seem to be be mostly retarded about making some booze.

Making vodka is piss-easy. Basically, it's neutral spirits, so you can use anything, and the majority of commercial vodka is made from grain, not potatoes. However, if you're going to follow the laborious potato route don't forget to strain the mash pretty well - the barley you used for your starch conversion is going to burn the fuck out of your boiler.

And get some activated carbon. Your first few times you're bound to fuck it up and let some nasty tails or harsh heads into the mix; just filter and enjoy.

www.homedistiller.org

>> No.47744

>>47740
>>47743

homedistillermind

>> No.47841

inb4 OP blows up his house and finds illegal still explosions aren't covered in his insurance contract