[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 74 KB, 625x393, above_the_auto_parts_store.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
453556 No.453556 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/!
Are any of you involved in a DIY music scene? I know here in Philadelphia, we have a pretty broad and awesome network of basement venues and art spaces and other DIY venues. I've always loved these places because of how nice everyone tends to be and how community-oriented it is.

Does anyone else get involved with this sort of thing?

>> No.453624

I'm a DIY artist in south Florida. Dunno if we have much of a scene for that here. We have a general local music scene, but I don't think that counts.

>> No.453627

Quite a sausage fest you got there.

>> No.453634

>>453627

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Looks like every one of them should be wearing Fedoras.

>> No.453637

I used to be into the Philly and a bit of the Baltimore scene, moved to new Hampshire for a year then moved back to PA.

>> No.453638

>>453556
WTF IS DIY MUSIC SCENE?

I seriously don't get it, and I live in Philly. Is it just dirty hipsters making drum sets out of
garbage and clanging together live wires?

I am very DIY minded but I dont listen to music where people make their own shotty instruments and touch two live wires together,

>> No.453655

>>453634
fuck you that's Lightning Bolt one of the greatest bands ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rha2EeCSu0

>> No.453668

>>453655

I meant mostly the crowd.

That video rates in the top 10 of shittest things I've ever listened to though. It was incoherent mumbling and the same 4 power chords in EXACTLY the same way for 4 minutes.

>> No.453696

>>453668
I checked it out because you said that vid was so bad. I was unprepared for that. That is easily one of the worst bands ever.

>> No.453697

I read about this on the innernets:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2013/03/boston_police_catfishing_indie_rockers_cops_pose_as_punks_on_the_internet.html

>> No.453714

>>453655
nearly 40, 000 people are either deaf or assholes, or deaf assholes. that sucked fart.

>> No.453722

>>453668
>>453696
I just watched around 45 seconds of that video. I honestly can't believe that anyone would seriously listen to the entire clip, much less a concert featuring this band.

I am no prude, I have always prided myself in being someone who can find some kind of music that I enjoy in every genre. Country, rap, classic rock, classical, punk, r&b, hip hop, whatever.

Far and away the worst 45 seconds of noise that I can recall ever having listened to.

Can you please share a brief bio of yourself? So curious as to what influences someone to enjoy this.

>> No.453733

went to my first house show that had to do with la record. great music, but way too many hipfags

>> No.453748

>>453655
this is probably a joke but these diy shows are literally like this no exaggeration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwYVVCimZgA

Also, this thread probably belongs in /mu/

>> No.455114
File: 381 KB, 798x900, 31a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>453668
>>453722
>>453714

>> No.455120

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MhRj_48-7w
You should have posted a more entry level Lightning Bolt song

>> No.455125

>>455120
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MhRj_48-7w

That was no better than the first. Literally same guitar "riff" over and over and over behind a slightly changing but simple drum pattern.

>>455114

Too deep? No, I just know shit when I hear it.
It's the same fucking thing over and over again for however long...

No melodies, no harmony, no build up, no progression, nothing that stands out... Nothing that normally makes "music". It's literally just the same fucking thing over and over again.

Not even normally a hater on peoples choice of music, that really just plain sucks.

>> No.455137

>>455125
That guitar is actually a bass, and Brian Chippendale is one of the best drummers out there. Anyway, you don't like them that's fair.
But you're wrong.

>> No.455146
File: 6 KB, 200x200, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455125
>No melodies, no harmony, no build up, no progression, nothing that stands out... Nothing that normally makes "music". It's literally just the same fucking thing over and over again.
>implying music has to follow a formula

>> No.455152

>>455146

I was implying that it should follow something.
Or else it's the same shit over and over again...

Generally music does something interesting. That's.. you know.. why it's cool to listen to.

>> No.455541

>>453556
yo OP cum to NEWBEDFORD, MA, the best diy collectives i promise, mad indy shitt here to.

>> No.455543

>>455152
The music does do something. You're actually listening in the wrong way.

That's seriously a thing. It's your expectations of the changes that you want, that you've heard before that are ruining the music for you.

>TFW when /diy/ doesn't Psychoacoustics.

>> No.455566

>>455543

>tfw when /diy/ is slowly slipping into a /mu/tard style hipster pissing contest

>> No.455623
File: 241 KB, 736x676, 1313792574361.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455543

I'm one of the few people I know who listens to damn near anything. Pop, rock, hard rock, metal, all things electronica, some classical...I have techno opera lying around, FFS (there should be more of this, BTW).

A lot of this (read: pop and electronica) tends to be fairly repetitive. I'm just about the ideal audience for this, but 25 seconds in I was wondering when the actual song was going to start. I gave up at about 45 and started flipping through the video, only to discover that, as others have pointed out, it's basically some asshole hammering on the same four chords over and over. LITERALLY so in the case of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rha2EeCSu0..

I would be willing to bet real cash money that the vast majority of people who enjoy this are on the low end of the bell curve. It's really...not good...

>> No.455721

>>455623

>I'm one of the few people I know who listens to damn near anything
> I'm just about the ideal audience for this
>It's really...not good

>hipster doesn't like hipster music
>hipception

>> No.455913

>>455623
>No no I'm not wrong
>It's just bad
>I think you can flip through process orientated music to find the good parts
>Dude wheres the drop?

Trust me, you don't listen to everything. Get yourself some Bulgarian folk music, some Phillip Glass, some Paulina Oliveros. Now you're talking out there. Every style of music you've named is hook orientated.

You've even admitted you like repition but not that repitition. It doesn't build at the rate you expect it to.

In that song he uses octave displacement, heavily syncopated drum rhythms, the idea is diminished into the little chromatic motif straight after and a vocal idea comes in. Then it starts to get louder and the drum ideas get more manic, more and more emphasis of off beats and a strong 16th implied rhythm. And that's by 1:41

There's actual work gone into this stuff, you know, so don't be so conceited. There's more music and more audiences for it than you'll ever discover in a lifetime. Even a dozen lifetimes.

And there's 5 chords by the way.

>> No.456018

>>453556
These plebs don't like Lightning Bolt.

Anyway, I participate in the music scene here in Louisville, Ky. We have tons of basements, warehouses, etc. Lots of people putting out their creative energy.

Keep the dream alive.

>> No.456020

>>455913
>Bulgarian folk music
Fuck yourself.

>> No.456054

>>453655
>>453668
>>453696
>>453714
>that
>>453722
>>453748
>>455125
>>455120
>>455146
>>455137
>>455623
>>455721
>>455913
>>456018
>>456018

HOLY FUCK. THIS MUSIC JUST SUCKS TO SOME PEOPLE.

YOU MAY ENJOY IT, BUT A MAJORITY OF OTHER PEOPLE FIND IT TO BE A STRAIN ON THEIR EARS.

There's too many of you hipsters with your fucking asinine pseudo-intellectual musings in Philly, gtfo off the internet.

This is exactly why going into CLA was the worst idea ever. You guys are fucking everywhere and clueless.

>> No.456055

>>456054
AS a matter of fact, I think I know who thetalented /diy/eris that posted this in the first place.

Some patrick music faggot. IDK you seem ok, but your hipster trash.

>> No.456205

>>456054
>Being this mad that some people have reasons to like music that you don't agree with
>Calling things psuedo intellectual because you don't understand them

Get off /diy/. People like >>455623
are the worst. No interest in looking outside what they already think.

>> No.456224

>>455913
>>453556
THIS HAS BROUGHT ALL OF MY RAGE DOWN. HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKK

SHIIIITSRAGEBREAK

Also,

Seriously, diy music is FUCKING EASY. I know three DJ's and two bands who self-produce and distribute their own music.

Also, on another couple points:

basement venues/art spaces are not DIY venues. Rigging up a fucking abandoned articulated trailer with a shitload of speakers and lights and blasting out a rave/punk gig in a farmers field on a weekend is fucking DIY. having to jerry-rig shit together when light systems pull half the thing down mid-gig because of the near riot going on is fucking DIY.

You goddamn hipsters have no fucking bollocks, and no fucking idea. Go out, break shit, and live your fucking life!

>> No.456257
File: 41 KB, 600x459, tumblr_lhaddfcyjw1qzrblzo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this thread reminds me of my youth, visiting my grandmother's place in the summer. She lived across from a dairy farm, and so there were great stretches of field for the cattle to roam. Along one of the fields, there ran a small road for maybe one to two miles, right on the edge. Halfway down it got real close to a small nearly stagnant brook the cows would tread through and, on occasion, shit. So, when I passed, what I would do is take rocks (the bigger the better) and heave them high up into the air to make a nice satisfying plop in the cowpies. The resulting craters were ugly and gross, just like this thread.
That was one hell of a toss, op

>> No.456289

>>456205
Haha, trust me on this one. If I wanted to understand musical structures I could.

However, I don't have an interest in that because I am not a music maker. Perhaps I should have used pedantic instead of pseudo-intellectual.

>> No.456328

>>456224
I'd agree that DIY venyes as a concept are hilariously conceited.

Actually self producing and releasing a product that isn't self indulgent shite is hard work. You've no one to help you step outside yourself, so creatively it's easy to just keep circle jerking with whatever comes easiest to hand. I know hundreds, I'd consider maybe 2 or 3 good. Myself not included.

>>456289
I'm sure you could. I'm sure musics way easier than technical stuff because there's nothing to understand in music. Just like the way candy tastes good because they put good tasting things in them. Totaly straight forward and no critical or objective thinking required.

Pedantic? Does go fuck yourself sound pedantic enough? The real phrase you wanted was "Raping my misinformed mouth anus with truth". If you don't know what you're talking about, then but the fuck out. I don't go dicking around telling people how to do shit I don't understand. This board is about helping people, and misinformation and uneducated opinions don't have much weight in the work/doesn't work world of DIY.

>> No.457101

This thread has been garbage but the topic isn't. I live in San Jose and there is a moderate DIY music scene here. There are a few punk houses that are still in operation, and at least one warehouse downtown, but I think they just went legitimate.

>> No.457115

I live in Orange County, CA. A warehouse with a couple bowls for skating opened up a few months ago in Santa Ana. Tons of rad shows happening there, though I'm betting it will get shut down soon enough (they sell beer, and despite checking ID's, they clearly have no license).
I don't know of any houses that are currently having shows, but things sorta rotate through in neighboring Long Beach.
LA has a few awesome spots. The Smell has been around forever in DT LA. They generally don't have shows I'm interested in, but they still happen. There's also a few oddball places here and there in LA. Blue Star Cafe does (or did) have some pretty good outdoor shows in some industrial district off of Alamitos.
Does anyone know if the 6th St. Warehouse still has shows? I saw a few totally rad shows there on the halfpipe.

>> No.457116

>>453556
>>457115
Also, the 2 times I saw Lightning Bolt (6th St Warehouse a few years ago and the Smell earlier this year) were AWESOME.

>> No.457133

Damn I wish there were some good DIY music out there.. this is only promoting the stereotype that you need a record deal/tons of capital to actually be worth a shit and it's depressing.

>> No.457361
File: 96 KB, 178x189, awyeah.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.457365

I ran a DIY club (workers volunteered, bands took 65-75% of door) for a few years in the late 90s early 00s, and have booked hundreds of basement/garage shows.

I'm from Omaha, so the grass roots/DIY thing got kind of retarded for a while when all the Saddle Creek Records stuff blew up. It was nice though when you could go see fantastic bands for $5, and they still left with more gas money than at places that had a $15 cover charge.

>> No.458864
File: 121 KB, 960x540, Beds collective June 2012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We throw illegal raves, im part of a sound system. (England)

Basically we set up medium - large events in any type of venue we can find for example: barns, fields, quarries, warehouses and forests.

We often get large turn outs of over 1000+ people. It's expensive and we often get out stuff seized by police and arrests are made at the end of the party. It's all non profit so any money we do make goes straight back into throwing the next party.

Heres a pic of a party we did June last year in an abandoned barn.

>> No.458868

>>458864
What's it like trying to throw illegal raves in america?

Police in the UK don't give a fuck, theres ways around the law to get out seized equipment back. Also the police wont try and shut down a party until the next day.

Is it possible to throw illegals in the US? Or would it end in everybody there getting arrested and charged?

>> No.458879
File: 621 KB, 440x247, 1364527944523.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Know how to how up four 2-way speakers to a mini amplifier? Or rather, anyone know a good DIY source I could use to learn how to wire boom boxes?

>> No.459452

>>458868
It depends on local laws really.

I've had huge parties on private land and as long as the police aren't suspicious of rampant drug use they leave you alone.
If you're on abandoned/public land they'll shut you down pretty fast sometimes, although we've gotten away with it in the past.

>> No.459490

Hmmm beeing part of it? How exactly? I atended a lot of diy stuff in my country, Slovenian here. We have a nice tradition that is slowly getting ruined tough.

It was basicly a bunch of squatters starting it out and today its a huge thing with severall "clubs" that have concerts non stop, and its basicly legal by now.

If you want to know how it looks like google images for Metelkova. Its quite a culture shock for a lot of people, but the most friendly people you can find.

>> No.459727
File: 105 KB, 960x639, nuclearhammer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Toronto underground metal cult reporting in. We've had two incarnations of the Hellhaus and other illegal rackets over the years. The time has come for another location to emerge. Great bands and (mostly) great people.
Pic Related

>> No.459742

>>453556

I'm in a band in Brooklyn. I'm not that into my band but I do it for fun. I've been to a few DIY venues and they sort of sucked. I have a few friends in Philly (Ever been to Pat's Hole, OP?) and that was ok.

In my opinion, most musicians try too hard and I get pretty put off by a lot of the people I am around. Sweaty basement shows aren't ideal. I know I sound like an asshole but this isn't really well thought out.

>> No.459743

>>453722

I saw them live and they were pretty entertaining for the most part. They were really loud and I hadn't seen anything like them before. I have one of their albums and to be honest I never, ever listen to it.

>> No.459745

Hipster is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else's authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you're probably sensed the pattern on your own).

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the au-thentic Us from the inauthentic, ironic,Them.

You can't define what that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That's because you don't use hipster to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren't for your own insecurities, nothing that a hipster could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - "Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I'm certainly not like those filthy hipsters!"- so you project those feelings onto others.

>> No.459747

>>453627
Why should people care if there are women or not at some venue?

>> No.459748
File: 14 KB, 240x320, 1339716626171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>/diy/ talking about music
i though /mu/ was bad at that, guess i was wrong

>> No.459749

>>455623
>
I'm one of the few people I know who listens to damn near anything. Pop, rock, hard rock, metal, all things electronica, some classical...I have techno opera lying around, FFS (there should be more of this, BTW).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wait, wait, I'm going to reply seriously, I just need to-

PFFHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.459751
File: 32 KB, 236x421, 1362957534157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455623
>I'm one of the few people I know who listens to damn near anything. Pop, rock, hard rock, metal, all things electronica, some classical...I have techno opera lying around, FFS (there should be more of this, BTW).

>> No.459756
File: 2.99 MB, 4896x3264, 1367630555206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455623
>I'm one of the few people I know who listens to damn near anything. Pop, rock, hard rock, metal, all things electronica, some classical...I have techno opera lying around, FFS (there should be more of this, BTW).

>> No.459760

>>455913
Whoa, this is actually a really accurate analysis. Thanks anon and fellow Lightning Bolt fan.

>> No.459771

>>459745
hipster detected

>> No.459792
File: 103 KB, 500x334, question-3104227.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>453722
>a concert featuring this band
>a concert
>concert

>> No.459797

>>453627

>being afraid of masculinity

That's a Lightning Bolt show which has some of the craziest and most violent crowds. It's a great outlet for testosterone since it is violence in a controlled way. Only closeted fags would find it gay.

>> No.459801

>>459760
Thanks! I imagine I missed alot, as that's from a single listen through while annoyed at some "I know music, I once listened to a guy play a violin" guy.

I love their John Peel session the best. Absolutely amazing performance. That, The Flaming Lips collab and Hypermagic Mountain.

>> No.460262
File: 74 KB, 600x290, Greece_Athletes-Furious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>459797
Yep nothing gay about a large group of sweat soaked males in a hot enclosed space rubbing against each other. Hey, want to get together, oil each other up and wrestle naked just like the ancient greeks?

>> No.460276
File: 1.12 MB, 2560x1920, 2012-09-05 16.14.40.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

other Philly fag here going to try and clear some stuff up, diy music isn't what we are talking about it is diy ethic, and Philly has a huge diy punk scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4K-DqXN5HQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

along with awesome burgers.

>> No.460329

>playing music is illegal
so did they catch all the meth dealers or what?

>> No.460336

>>460262
I'm down

>> No.460340

>People shitting on lightning blot
>people shitting on going to concerts because lol its gay!
I thought /diy/ was one of the different boards.

>> No.460350

>>460340

Any discussion on 4chan involving subjective matters tends to turn to shit, no matter which board.

>> No.460406

>>460262
>>460336
>/soc/

>> No.460408 [DELETED] 

How do I make the next great record on my shitty Windows 7 laptop?

>> No.460428

...and that's when /diy/ decided never to discuss music ever again.

>> No.460910

>>460350
It's not subjective. Their are objective merits to any style of music that you do have to recognize. Subjectivity is just a fancier way of saying "Yeah, I dunno man, whatever, it's gay."

>>460428
You can take the /diy/ out of the Audio Engineer, but you ain't ever gonna take the Audio Engineers out of /diy/

>> No.460917

This thread turned to shit. Back on track guys, lets talk about making shit happen.
We used to rent out old Legion halls and get temp liquor permits. $10 at the door and $5 pints means some pretty good cash even if only like 100 people show up,

>> No.461336

>>460917

Fucken jew central or something?

Seriously, you should come to slovenia to the alternative music places, booze is cheap as fuck, in some places you even pay what you want, and guess what. People pay more than the booze costs because they know the more they pay this time the better the party next time will be.

Has to feel bad living in such a jewish community man. Altough that was my generation, not sure if i could trust the younger generation with this.

>> No.461338

>>461336
Fucking.
Retard.

>> No.461344

>>460910
>It's not subjective
>people claiming that lightning blot isn't music because it isn't structured
>it very much has a structure
>people being so uncomfortable in their own sexuality that they call shows gay
Nah, it isn't subjective in the slightest

>> No.461358

>>456018

lol, Louisville. Home of the backwater Mountain folk.

>> No.461381

>>461336

In a sea of stupidity, this is the worst shitpost of them all. And I was one of the people that shit talked lightning bolt earlier...

Sorry guys, I know this has been beat to death, but /mu/ is impossible to actually talk music anyway.
I have studied music with some interest for years, by way of instruction in classical and jazz and "didactically" theoretical/chronological and mathematical in a classroom setting.

Both my parents are/were musicians, my mother toured in a band for a few years. I have been in a few bands, and have played a few gigs and whatnot. I play piano, saxophone/clarinet and guitar and am teaching myself violin to teach it to my 2 year old daughter.

As I have mentioned before, I listen to a lot of music. Many genres, many venues, etc. i used the term "concert" as to elicit common vernacular, ergo: a live performance before an audience. I wasn't implying "VAN HALEN CONCERT, BRAH"

>>455913

See, here is my point. You have very accurately described this piece. The problem is, to use analogy, a very similar well articulated description could be made of a drunk stumbling out of a bar.

It is difficult to critique something like music without sounding condescending. The problem is determining what is qualification to judge. I feel a lifetime of devotion to the study of music is an aspect of qualification that I may posses one day. Until then, my sophomoric understanding will be that in spite of the various rhythm changes and volume fluctuations, lightning bolt will be a quickly forgotten blip in a quickly forgotten genre-blip.

>> No.461507

>>461344
>Implying that being ignorant of a topic is the same thing as a topic being subjective

You're really going to do this? Just cause you pulled the red wire cause you didn't know any better doesn't make it subjective, it makes you someone that makes decisions without knowing the full story : an idiot.

>>461381
>Until then, my sophomoric understanding will be that in spite of the various rhythm changes and volume fluctuations, lightning bolt will be a quickly forgotten blip in a quickly forgotten genre-blip.

You sound mad, bro. What the fuck is Techno if its not a bunch of rhythm changes and filter sweeps? Dropping the kick and a white noise build before we hit DAT MAD PHAT BASS is alright but a dissonant chord? Bach can do fuckin' weird solos in his Brandeburg No. 5 but Chip can't come in on an off beat?

Look, it's not even your fault that youve inherited this weird cultural thing we have where unfamiliar things are bad things. What is your fault is your inability to admit that your myopic view of music is hindering your understanding of it and that critical analysis is NOT the way to go. You don't say what's good and what's bad. You list everything and you go from there.

>Sorry guys, I know this has been beat to death, but /mu/ is impossible to actually talk music anyway.
I have studied music with some interest for years, by way of instruction in classical and jazz and "didactically" theoretical/chronological and mathematical in a classroom setting.

I've been studying it since I was 12. I've done music, the math behind music, arranging music, recording music, I teach music and I gig. However, none of those things make me right. Stop trying to defend yourself and what you like and actually figure out why you hate some music, rather than just dismissing it.