[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 129 KB, 500x507, Cumaru wood fire resistant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
444885 No.444885 [Reply] [Original]

Your thoughts on taking a Mobile home frame,and building something that's not so....trashy.. on it?

>> No.444888

What advantage does this have over building from scratch?

>> No.444890

>>444885
Well, the problem will be that you're still in a mobile home park, as they tend to not drop doublewides on standard blocks. pre-fabs and tilt-ups are pretty nice nowadays. Have you been diligent in your research?

>> No.444891

>>444888
In this day of age you can't really be dependent on having a Job, in a certain location for the rest of your life,like folks did a few generations ago.

With a trailer, you can simply take your home with you. Also,investments such as solar & wind power would not be lost, if you were required to move.

My Sister who's a nurse is married a pipeline engineer , they were making a nice living in North Dakota.

Out of the blue he was offered a job that paid 120+ thousand in Oklahoma.

If they had such a home, all they would of needed to do is buy a plot of land, pay some movers to transport the home,and connect utilities.

Moving a home that's built on frame with wheels would be cheaper than buying a new home all together.

>> No.444892

>>444888
Mobility.

>> No.444894
File: 61 KB, 375x296, a-frame-house-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>444890
Why does it have to be a trailer park?

Did you ever read my original post?

Why not build something like an A-frame on the mobile home frame?

>> No.444899

>>444894
a frames are just as trashy as boxy mobile homes. May as well build a box and have more usable area

>> No.444901

>>444899
It is only trashy if you have a shitty imagination when you design it.

I'm betting you are projecting your own failing imagination to envision anything non-trashy.

>> No.444903

>>444891
>>444892
Since when are mobile homes actually mobile? I was under the impression a mobile home got dragged from the factory to the park, dropped off and that was the extent of its mobility.

If you plan on picking up sticks and moving every 2-3 years, rent something.

>> No.444904

>>444885
The frame can only handle so much weight, if you get too elaborate with it it'll bend and fail when it's being moved, that's why they're built as flimsy as they are.

>> No.444905

>>444894
A frames are crap. You exchange less natural lighting for... less living space.

>> No.444924

>>444905
How do you sacrifice natural lighting? Literally the entire south facing side could be glass.

>> No.444931

>>444924

>Literally the entire south facing side could be glass.

if you live in the nothren hemisphere, that is backwards. you will roast in the summer.

ideally, all the glass would face north if you live in the northern hemisphere.

>> No.444939

>>444931
Depends on your insulation and type of glass. Northern hemisphere and southern facing argon glass would allow for natural lighting without sacrificing r value

>> No.444940

>>444931
Although I recognize location in the northern he,I sphere is a contributing factor.

Also I hates a frames myself too.

>> No.444963

>>444924
You are loosing out on window possibilities along 2 walls: A frames are narrowish rectangles. The 2 long sides of the rectanges are your "roof". These will be without windows.

Of course, you can some big sky-light type windows. These are more expense then normal windows. And as an owner of a skylight, I'll also point out that they are much more trouble then a regular window.

>> No.444964

>>444904
Is it possible to reinforce it?

>> No.444969

>>444939

i'm not talking about r value.

i'm talking about greenhouse effect. if you let light through glass, the light is the energy that heats your interior.

a glass southern wall is a mistake in the northern hemisphere = too hot in the summer.

a glass northern wall is a good idea = more natural heat in the winter.

>> No.444990

>>444903

I was thinking the same thing. I've never actually known anybody to move a mobile home. I've never even SEEN one being towed.

>> No.445001

>>444990

originally, in the 40s or so, they actually were mobile homes, meaning that you could tow them with an automobile. those mobile homes were about the size of modern campers.

as they grew, of course, it became necessary to use a proper truck to move them around, so technically they still are mobile homes, but not like they used to be.

and if you ever want to piss an RV owner off, refer to his vehicle as a mobile home.

>> No.445003

>>444969
> more natural heat in the winter.
um, wat? Would you explain this please?

>> No.445054

>>444969
>a glass southern wall is a mistake in the northern hemisphere = too hot in the summer.
That's why they invented curtains.

>a glass northern wall is a good idea = more natural heat in the winter.
I suspect it might vary depending on your latitude. But here in Southern QC, a north facing window is a net loss of heat in the winter. A south facing window is a net gain... as long as it has a nice high r factor.

>> No.445068

>>444885
by the time you gut it and dispose of what you're not gonna reuse, you'd be better off starting from scratch

>> No.445069

>>444964
If you're going to go to all that trouble in the first place, then why not just build what you want from scratch, or if you really want a house that big why not skip the whole hassle of making it "portable" (if anything of such size could still be called that) and buy a used home somewhere for cheap that needs some fixing up and do what you want to it? What you really want to do would require it to be broken up into several pieces otherwise you couldn't transport it on public roads with any sort of truck, and do you have any idea how astronomical the transport costs would end up being, let alone the wear and tear on the structure itself every time you moved it, and the risk of serious damage if they fuck up while moving it? There are very few original ideas in the world anymore, so when you have an idea you should ask yourself "who else has done this, and why hasn't it been done before" and go look for those answers first, you could save yourself a lot of time that way.

>> No.446301

"Moving a home that's built on frame with wheels would be cheaper than buying a new home all together."

But not nearly as pleasant to live in. Also, who said "buy"?

If you make 120K/year you can afford not to live in a tiny box and you can still save plenty of money. Unless rent is insanely expensive, rent instead if you move often.

Then moving becomes much simpler. Instead of paying a towing and setup crew to drag your box cross-country, you just load a straight truck with your shit and drive it yourself.

Mobile home frames are shit. I know, I've harvested them and cut them up to use for the metal.

A "home" is a cost center. If I banked 120K a year and needed to be mobile I'd fucking RENT.

I have the fab skills and all the equipment to build a 40-foot ISO container into a tough, mobile home and make the interior attractive. I have two for shop buildings. Unless there were some other compelling reason for me to do that, I would prefer not to live in a house with that form factor.

Once you change that form-factor, such as going multi-container, your mobility is limited.

>> No.446381

$120k is considerably above the median income in Oklahoma. You can get quite a nice house here with that kind of money.

Also, it's generally cheaper to buy a home. Consider $150-250 lot rent per month (or mortgage payments if you're buying the land), plus the payments for the mobile home, and you'd be better off just buying a house.

Resale value on a mobile home is crap. Buy it for $50k, live in it for five years, sell it for $20k if you're lucky. That's because the build quality is crap on most mobile homes, and they tend to fall apart if exposed to children or stumbling drunks.

TL;DR if a home is an investment, a mobile home is like buying Enron stock.

>> No.446668

>>444903
> Since when are mobile homes actually mobile? I was under the impression a mobile home got dragged from the factory to the park, dropped off and that was the extent of its mobility.

Correct. The reason why mobile homes of full size hardly move again is the stunning cost of legally moving one. Generally $3500-5000. So they end up largely left in place while being sold then re-sold, usually around the $3500-5000 price point, until it ends up abandoned to the mobile lot for back rent. Then it's sold and re-sold until it gets so trashed that it's scrapped.

>> No.447401
File: 68 KB, 800x600, dusk800x600idc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Modern A frames look fantastic and will probably last longer with all the new materials at your disposal

I wouldn't mind building one and just say its a shed getting my self a P.O box and living relatively cheap for a while

might look at some land and borrow a camper van, I pay about £680 a month for rent not including council tax

If I blow some savings on a deposit and get a cheap mortgage on some land and it works out cheaper and more substantial to have I might actually build one

Not to worried about planning permission because it would be so obscure they wouldn't see it or be able to get anything in to dismantle it

Could probably live in it long enough for it to be classed a legal dwelling, unless they have changed some laws to stop it