[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 20 KB, 600x569, gilesmillercardboardfurniture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
43476 No.43476 [Reply] [Original]

This is now a cardboard furniture thread.

I am looking to make some cardboard shelves and, if successful, will look into making a cardboard chair/couch.

Anyone have experience in the cardboard arts?

>> No.43611

This is the one official bump I will be making.

Might bump later with my progress on shelves.

>> No.44175

Good idea.

If, you know, you want your fat ass to break the cardboard that you painfully crafted into a toilet, certainly.

Keep us up to date if you have future brilliant ideas.

>> No.44186

op there's been both experimental and commercial cardboard furniture made since at least the 1960's

but from a quick search just now:

Some keys to keep in mind when designing furniture from eco-cardboard.

Durability:
Stress points need to be focused down on the honeycombs. With cardboard the strength is in the direction of the cardboard. To test this kick a side versus an end. The end pushes back while the side bends.
Coating: it is essentially a paper product… so you need to consider ways to prevent moisture damage. Lots of cardboard furniture are used for the novelty and not long-term because it’s so susseptible to water damage. If you want yours to last you need to consider things like a coating or sealant to prevent humidity or liquids from making a quick end to your design. The Wiggly Chair (a famous card-board chair design – and a personal favorite of mine), for instance, goes through several stages of coating protection, so it’s able to last a lot longer than you’d otherwise believe.
Like I pointed out above, you also might want to consider strengthening your design with something. Dowels and particle board are two items that are often woven into the design to add strength, often seamlessly.

http://www.groopti.com/blog/index.php/resources/how-to-make-furniture-design-from-eco-cardboard-recy
cled-material/#more-3265

can't offer any personal experience.

>> No.44191
File: 30 KB, 500x333, FY1PAV6FTNHEID6..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think I might make this one. Seems baller.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboard-Chaise-Lounge/

>> No.44199
File: 28 KB, 240x233, eco-friendly-chair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im more interested in using it outdoors, as a base for a grass chair.

>> No.44222
File: 92 KB, 468x600, cardboard-kit-of-parts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the plans for cardboard shelves.
There's no official instructions, but it should be easy enough to figure out by looking at the picture.
You need to make multiple cut outs of each shape to make one shelf. And of course if you stretch out the dimensions you could make a long shelf or tall shelf, but I think the square shelves are pretty nice.
I was thinking about making a bunch of small shelves, then making one long shelf that takes up double the space so I can stack it on top of two square shelves.

>> No.44228

did a furniture project in college using carpet tubes that were about 6 inches in diameter and 6-8mm thick strong as fuck. i first cut them to length then routed 4 slots in each at 90 degs and slid them together, worked a treat but weighed a ton. the beauty was you could keep going so chairs, benches and tables worked well. throwing some safety glass on top for a table was pretty good as it made a feature of the overlapping pattern of tubes

>> No.44231

>>44199

Fuck I love /diy/.

>> No.44234

>>44199
Probably not going to work out that well. Cardboard loses pretty much all of its strength when it gets wet.

>> No.44239
File: 49 KB, 628x685, tube.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>44228
quick and dirty google sketchup for you showing 2 routs as the basic idea, remember the four routed slots need to be twice as thick as the cardboard, so 12mm for a 6mm thick tube

>> No.44240
File: 54 KB, 775x300, animal-friendly-cardboard-trophy-head-busts-rhino-deer-moose-xl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really furniture, but I think these are pretty neat.

>> No.44241

>>44234
fill it with earth, the cardboard just gives the shape

>> No.44246

>>44234
Once the soil is in place / packed the cardboard doesn't really matter.

>> No.44268

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OOGDeZjMk go for it

>> No.44274
File: 453 KB, 150x149, 1279078247889.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxD9UuiSAFo

>> No.44305

>>44240

Any instruction video or walkthrough you can post? I have a decent lot of cardboard in my garage, and feel I could do this.

>> No.44702

>>44305
I found it on /po/ when they were trying to figure out how to do it.
I believe you have to pay for the instructions, but you can try asking /po/ to see if they've gotten a hold of the scanned instructions yet. If not someone could have have make their own version.

>> No.44726
File: 28 KB, 1000x340, paperpedic-bed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2011
>Not sleeping on a paperpedic bed

http://kartongroup.com.au/products/paperpedic-bed-cardboard-bed

>> No.44738

OP here, didn't realize the thread had continued.

Got pissed at the shitty cardboard pieces I scavenged from around campus and gave up for the time being.

Going into Philadelphia with my friend to get a bunch of 8'x4' cardboard pieces. He claims he knows just the place to get them for free.

This thread will obviously die in the meantime, but will start a new one when the time comes.

>> No.44750

>>44738
>Go to a 24/7 Walmart at around midnight while they're stocking
>Ask a person with a cart of empty boxes if you can take them
>They'll probably let you take the whole damn cart if you give them a empty one

It means less work for them and profit for you.