[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 39 KB, 640x480, Green Russian Big Muff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
428614 No.428614 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/.

I would like to start making effects pedals for guitars. However, i looked up the schematics for a simple fuzz pedal,
and it is very complicated. I can understand a magnetic pickup, tone and volume circuits, and simple things like
that, but the pedals are over my head. What can i do to better understand pedals? I was thinking of getting a diy
pedal kit, but something seems gimmicky about them. Maybe as a last resort.

tl;dr, what can i do to better understand fairly simple electronics?

>pic related, the God-tier Sovtek Big Muff.

>> No.428628

diystompboxes is an amazing website with an amazing community on the forums. There you'll find all the information or links you'll ever need for building guitar pedals. Make sure you read the FAQ and search for answers before starting a new thread.
If you're looking to buy some components try taydaelectronics for super cheap parts.

Besides that, you can learn about things like gain, diode-clipping, and function of many component groups by googling it.

>> No.428629

>>428628
I already know what gain, clipping, capacitors, and things like that is.
I could also wire the input/output switches, but i wouldn't know where to wire them to. See my situation? Attaching the resistors, transistors, capacitors, etc. to the circuit board in correct order is my primary problem. Is there a certain order, a certain list of necessary components for all pedals or does the parts list change between different kinds of pedals...?

Sorry for being a dummy here, everyone's patience and help is appreciated.

>> No.428636

>>428629

>I know what gain, clipping and capacitors are
>I have no idea how to use capacitors in a circuit

So you know what capacitors look like.
You may have a faint idea of what they do.

I know what airplanes are too, it doesn't make me an Aeronautical Engineer.

>is there a certain order

Yes, it's called a Circuit. It's not "an order" it's placing components where they need to be so they modify the signal or supply clean power.

>do the parts list change between certain types of pedals?

Yes... Do Engines change between cars? What about brakes?

If you're really wanting to understand pedals you're going to need to start from the beginning and not try to dive in at the middle.

http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/e101-1.htm

http://101science.com/Radio.htm

Google "Electroincs Tutorials" or "Electronics 101"

Not trying to discourage you... But you need to start from the beginning...

There is no "Royal Road" or a "Quick and dirty" path. If you try to cut corners you'll waste money and time...

>> No.428653

>>428614
DEFINITELY checkout diystompboxes.com and also the link on the page called geofex.

They are THE best places to learn the ins and outs of effect building.

At diystompboxes there's a section called 'begginers section' ...I highly recommend checking that out. It's the perfect introduction to building your own effects.

Just so you know I already have a stompbox thread here >>428002

So if you have any questions just ask me, or don't be afraid to ask questions at diystompboxes. They are the most helpful and friendly place from begginers to the most knowledgeable gurus. There are no stupid questions there.

>> No.428655

Also kits aren't gimmicky. It's great practice for learning to solder and if you get a good kit it may teach you a thing or three. I would just avoid 'diymodkits'... some of their designs are fundamentally flawed where they would never work.

>> No.428727

>>428636
that is the kind of help i need. I see what your saying about starting from the beginning and i appreciate it.

>>428653
Sorry bud, i honestly didnt see that thread last night. checking it out now.

Thanks to all of you!

>> No.430405
File: 123 KB, 816x612, 20121011_222825.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

argh, wtf, 4chan thinks im spamming

>>428636
slightly harsh, but true.

the big muff is a bit complicated than usual i believe
i built a fuzz factory, 16 components iirc excluding pots, switch ect.
>pic related
>google fuzz factory schematic
>4chan thinks im spamming

if you have no idea what you are doing, schematics like this is the best. just solder the components in and cut races at red squares.

>> No.430412

>>430405

>>430405
>cont'd

now, for actual understanding i would scope the different stages and compare to see what they do with the waveforms.
have access to an oscilloscope and a signal generator?

simple understanding of electronics will go a long way.

learn by doing my good man.
maybe you could make a common/simple one. and experiment with cap values and transistor biasing(resistors).

>> No.430421
File: 326 KB, 2092x1396, 20121016_191715.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>430405
>old pic before paint and fancy knobs.