[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 478 KB, 1920x1080, metro-2033-screenshot-16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
427468 No.427468 [Reply] [Original]

'Evening, gentlemen.

The journal/portfolio from Metro 2033. I've been aching to get one for ages now, all since the game came out and I've also been feeling unproductive lately. Put two and two together... I'm gonna attempt to replicate the portfolio.

I've already got most of what I need, elastic paper holders, lots of leather cut outs from other porfolios (for the pen holders and such ) a fairly decent compass that I can probably glue on using superglue, so on so forth. There is one thing I lack though. The portfolio/big-leather-pad-thingamajiggah. I've been looking far and wide for a good one. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places or the wrong words but it seems impossible to find one similar enough.

Can the wonderful people at /diy/ help me in my quest? I'm not a great craftsman so it's way out of my skill level to produce one from scratch but I'm not completely worthless at it either. I'm up for anything though.

>> No.427658

Bump?

>> No.427679

>>427468
>The portfolio/big-leather-pad-thingamajiggah. I've been looking far and wide for a good one. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places or the wrong words but it seems impossible to find one similar enough.

You mean the backboard for mounting everything too? You can use 1/4" luan board, since everything seems to be covered in leather. Thick cardstock would also work, but obviously not as durable.

>> No.427739
File: 36 KB, 474x316, cutting-board.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A plastic cutting board.

>> No.427761

>>427468
I assume that is leather covered wood, so just get a cheap clipboard.

>> No.427778

>>427739
Huh. Not OP but that seems like a good idea.
Now. About that lighter.

>> No.427783

>>427778
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_kw=Trench+Lighter+WW1+Lighter

A friend of mine collects lighters. They're, uh, pretty cool.

>> No.427793

I've heard that it was based off Soviet era officer's bag. You might do a search for those to get an idea.

>> No.427811

>>427793
This one? http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Product_234_Russian_Army_Officer_Uniform_Leather_Documents_Map_Bag_||_Case.html

>> No.427833

>>427468
>Broken FOV: The Game.

Please don't touch Metro 2033 unless you want a sea sickness simulator or a GPU Stress Test.

>> No.428086
File: 137 KB, 640x480, DakGz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The image is the journal which came with the collector's edition from Germany or something. Seeing as how it's pretty much the >>427811 (thanks for the link by the way) I can probably just harvest most of the parts from it OR just use it as a base and remove some of leather pieces so it becomes only the main thing (excuse my terms here, coffee shortages at baseplate) and then just a little flap which I can cut open, reinforce with >>427739 or plywood with rounded edges so that it gets that kinda "notepad" feel to it. A lá iPad case. After that, just sow the things, roughen it up, smash it a bit. Make it look like it survived the apocalypse and the life in the metro.

>>427679
I was thinking of just getting a cork rectangle thing and then cover it in leather and give it some nice stitching to finish it off, or grab >>427811 and give it a bit of a makeover.

>>427833
Apocalypse RPGs are a passion of mine, so are making props from them. Any intelligent being can change it in the .ini files. Game was pretty fucking good other than that, though.
>>427783
I tried finding some good trench art lighters, managed to find a nice one with hinges made from a 50. BMG for 30 bucks. It's pretty good but not great.

>> No.428122

>>427833
I've played and beat the game on Ranger Hardcore and had no troubles. You must be new to FPS games.

Also, two old 5770 cards worked fine with highest settings and tweaked .ini highest settings.

>> No.428149

>>428122
The game defaults to like 45 degree field of view. That's about like looking through a paper tube unless you're playing on a console with the screen across the room from you or something.
People who play a lot of FPS games are more used to an FOV of 60. I personally prefer around like 110 like quakelive defaults to.

Anyways, related to the OP...
I wonder if the in game prop for that clipboard could be decompiled for a better look. I could take a crack at it, but I'd have to re download the game, and spend some time poking around at things... I'll post back if I can figure out anything.

>> No.428155

>>428149
If you could do that I'd be extremely thankful. I believe there's 3 versions of the model: open, closed and when Artyom holds it. The one when Artyom holds it I don't really care for, but the other ones would be EXTREEEMEELY helpful.

>> No.428180

I am watching this thread.
I hope you produce some win because this might be my next good (cheap) project.

>> No.428186

>>428149
Just change the FOV for christ sake. Are you going to complain that the game defaults to normal difficulty too or something equally as daft?

>> No.428401

>>428186
It's not easily accessible. If I remember right you have to change several config files. If you had to go into config files to change difficulty it would be equally annoying.

>> No.428412

>>428401
To change your Field Of View you will need to edit two config files.These two config files can be found in the locations as follows.

\User\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033\user.cfg

The AppData folder is hidden by default, to show this folder you will need to go to Tools -> Folder Options... -> View tab -> Mark the circle next to Show hidden files, folders and drives.

\Steam\userdata\XXXXXX\43110\remote\user.cfg

The X's are to signify a number that is specific to your Steam account, there should(Unless you have multiple accounts) only be one folder in the userdata sub-directory.

Range is 1 to 90.

>> No.428418

>>428412
Yeah, not really the end of the world, but I just meant to kind of back up what the previous anon had said about the game having kinda crappy FOV, especially for people who get scared of editing config files, which I don't, but it shouldn't be a requirement just to play a game.

I didn't get very far in metro before getting distracted and quitting the first time. This thread makes me want to give it another go, especially since I went and reinstalled it to get at the game files.

And to update on trying to extract the model from the games files, I've been making slow progress. I think I will be able to get it into 3ds max, at which point I can do anything with it. I really only have much experience playing with the internals of Source engine games, and this seems a lot less convenient. I have work late tonight, so I might end up having to stop and go do that, but I'll post if I can get any further. I'd really like to see OP do something with this project, seems like a really cool item to make.

>> No.428467
File: 758 KB, 1280x720, map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428418
alright. I didn't have time tonight to fuck around with textures and stuff, but I at least found the model and converted it into an obj file. You can probably open this in sketchup, I haven't ever used it, but it's free and I bet it can read obj files.

You could also probably make some pretty nice schematic like pictures in autocad or something too if you'd like.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34905329/map.obj

It looks a lot like a padfolio to me. I'll post again if I ever do anything. Sorry for the kind of shitty render, pic related, but I should go get ready for work now.

>> No.428479
File: 682 KB, 1280x720, map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428467
wow the color profile in that image is messed up or something. lets try this again

>> No.428650

>>428479
Thanks a metric fuckton. That helps a lot on getting a more dynamic virew on it. Before I looked into it I thought it was just a notepad and not a portfolio with the ability to be closed. Once again, thanks.

>> No.428693

Basically what I'm planning to do is get my hands on that Russian map case, inspect it closer and if everything checks out good I'll remove the right 'pad' along with every part on it, place them on the middle pad after I give it a bit of a 'makeover' with a piece of leather, to get that look that's on the metro version.

Put on this cheap compass, place some broken pencils there, put in some note that I'll write out on a typewriter or something and then I'll just toss it around a bit, give it some cuts here and there to make it look 'post-apocalypse'.

Sadly, it seems like that map case will take a while to get to Sweden so I'm afraid I won't be able to upload a progress thing within the nearest 12 days. I'll probably create the thread again and hopefully it won't turn to dust.

Thanks again for that obj file.