[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.78 MB, 1173x4609, sprinterwip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
427187 No.427187 [Reply] [Original]

Posting this again here as I swapped out the AC unit used in the previous image. The MES 600 wouldn't work due to needing water to be pumped and using some kind of radiator and pump would have been more of a hassle compared to the DC 8500.

Anyway for those who aren't acquainted with this project:
Stealth Van
>10 kWh battery bank
>800w Solar Array
>EV Charger (J1772 ready) (50 cents per kWh)
>160A Alternator
>Wall outlet via inverter

>> No.427193

>>427187
Also to avoid the same question coming up...

>Showers
Many gyms nationwide offer showers, equipment, and pool usage for $20-30 a month, I just recently saw one open in town for $10 a month and it runs 24 hours a day. Truck Drivers commonly pay around $5 a shower at truck stops. Truck stops can be costly if taking more than 6 showers a month, but it's feasible to shower about twice a week when a person isn't getting themselves dirty. For example sitting down and driving all day, or working in an office. There are methods of showering in the van, however with the electrical equipment used in this project it is not advised. If showers can't fit into the budget, consider beach showers, they're cold at times - but free.

>Toilets
The simplest way of explaining how to handle bathrooms in a van is to think about what a person normally does when they're in a vehicle and need to use the bathroom. What is done? They look for one. Many people are no strangers to public restrooms, some are dirtier than others, but usually hardware stores, hospitals, and renovated 24 hour gas stations have the nicest public restrooms. If an ambulance can get to a hospital quick enough to stop a person in any given area from dying from a car accident, it shouldn't be difficult to hold it long enough to find a bathroom.
That said, it's possible that nature calls in the middle of no where, on christmas when everything is closed, or perhaps the middle of the night. Foldout camping toilets are an alternative. Simply fold the stool out, take two trashbags (no spills), do the business, and toss the bag out like a dog walker would. Don't forget toilet paper and some febreeze.
Portable Camping Toilet: http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/portable-camp-toilet-p6747.aspx

>Laundry
Laundromats are the obvious choice. Most even have free wifi today, so electricity can be saved by bringing a wall charger in for a tablet or laptop while the clothes are washing.

>> No.427219

>>427187
>stealth van
Quite a lot of money and effort just to get hassled by the cops all the time.

>> No.427826

Thanks for the update OP.
I contributed in previous threads with some mechanical drainage advice. Not so great with electrical though.

Any pictures of the project underway?

>> No.427829
File: 30 KB, 422x433, time burgular.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>427219
Consider what your doing right now.

>> No.427873

This...looks pretty rad.

My two cents: you might want to think about some screening behind the rear doors so that you could open them to get some fresh air when you're somewhere that stealth isn't such a big deal without bugs being an issue.

>> No.427889

Given the total cost wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a mobile home and just pay for electric. Yeah they aren't an rv or a stealth van, but who cares.

>> No.427910

>>427187
Have you considered making adjustments to the car itself? With that fuck ton of weight you have there you should consider upgrading the suspension system or tuning the engine to better accommodate it.

>> No.427914

>>427193
It sounds like your day will revolve around finding a shower and toilet. What kind of life is that?

>> No.427916

>>427910
Its a cargo van, its meant to take weight.

>> No.427922

>>427916
I know but he's got 8 batteries (536 lbs) at the very back of the car. It's a work car sure, but I would look into its maximum carrying capacity and possibly distributing the weight more evenly/putting it close to the center of the car.

>> No.427927

>>427922
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/passenger-van/specifications/2500-high-roof-170-wb/12

Max Payload: 2368 to 2811 pounds depending on model. He's probably fine.

>> No.427928

Have you considered adding insulation to the living quarters for both sound and heat insulation?
Also, I would add a peephole in either the rear door or accordion door.

>> No.427930

>>427927
...that being said: I just found a max roof load of 330lbs on the highroof model, so that MIGHT be an issue.

>> No.427932

>>427927
Yeah. I'm wondering what weight the car was designed to operate optimally at though. Because this is weight that will always and forever be in the car, I imagine the engine could be tuned in such a way to operate most efficiently under it. Also, the tires will be put under a lot of strain as well I would think.

>> No.427935

>>427932
...Investing in one of those little computers that can dick with the injectors might not be a bad idea. I know you can get them a lot cheaper on chinese importer sites. I still think the OEM suspension would be fine, the max load is usually pretty safe-sided, especially on a commercial van like this, they tend to be loaded with stuff pretty constantly in their normal life and I'd imagine the manufacturer probably takes that into account. That being said: if its a used Sprinter, new shocks probably wouldn't hurt. Rock Auto is usually the cheapest place to get that sort of thing.

>> No.428253

>>427219
Exactly, where the hell do you think you're going to park that pedo van?