[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 157 KB, 472x316, beehive600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
425370 No.425370 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk bees.

Interested in getting my own hive.
Anyone here done this?
Tips, trick, money savers, etc.

>> No.425378

Top bar hives are fairly simple to make but not legal in most areas of NA.
Once you have a hive built and ready start looking for swarms. Letting a few friends know you're looking for bees sometimes pays off wonderfully. In my area there is a strain of mite and winter resistant honeybees bred for that went wild. Found this out by talking to a cab driver.

>> No.425379

im allergic to bees and I really want to be a beekeeper. this adds nothing but yeah there you go

>> No.425385

>>425370
apparently, using local honey can help lessen pollen allergies, over time. less chance of a reaction than allergy shots, and tastier.

>> No.425393
File: 392 KB, 602x408, beehive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>425378
>Top bar hives are fairly simple to make but not legal in most areas of NA.
Why is this?
I live in MI and built 2 top bar hives.
>pic closely related

>> No.425436

>>425393
It's felt by some that Langstrom hives are easier to keep clean and thus prevent the spread of disease and mites.

>> No.425662

>>425393
Top bar hives are only good if you want to harvest the wax every single time. They are not good for honey production, because you destroy the combs each time you harvest the honey. The ratio of wax to honey is something like 1 to 8 where it takes like 8 pounds of honey to make 1 pound of wax because the bees need to eat the honey to make the wax and are not making more honey while they make the wax.

>> No.425671

I considered this because apparently you can do a fuckton of different things with all the beeswax

>> No.426382
File: 99 KB, 721x600, 721px-Langstroth_Frames.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Think I should probably do a langstroth type hive.

>> No.426407

As always, the best advice is to find and join the local bee keeper's association or similar group in your area. They often have tons of tips for your specific local as well as free or sharply discounted tools, frames, and hives you can get. You can make a few friends there and be able to have access to various types of help including the use of someone's honey extractor.

>> No.426415
File: 118 KB, 497x400, 1327948156232.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hear that if you allow the bees to size their own heneycomb, they will self-regulate in order to disrupt the life-cycle of mites, which would otherwise destroy your hive. So don't use those lazy sheets which force them to make your size comb.

The hives I had a decade ago died from this mold disease thing. It sucked.

>> No.426432

>>426415
Most of the time the comb is reused so many times it eventually becomes black over the seasons. I don't think resizing occurs int he manner you are referring to, in relation to the starter sheets.

>> No.426440
File: 168 KB, 800x600, comb pics 010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just found this:
http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~heaf/beekeeping_for_all.pdf

>>426382
Now I'm not so sure...
As much as I'm interested in maximizing honey production, the ease of maintenance and things like >>426415 are making me lean towards top bar or warre type hives...

>> No.426453

>>425370
this is the very first thing you should be awere of; Varroa destructor, check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

if you don't perform varroa treatment properly your hive would collaps within days from the evoluation of varroa mite.

>> No.426542
File: 77 KB, 260x569, yotsuba010110s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426453
God dammit.
Now I'm all worried...

How do bees in the wild deal with this? If it was really that big of a problem, wouldn't they all be dead?...

>> No.426785
File: 1.47 MB, 2592x1944, SAM_0333.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426542
I really don't know how the wild ones deal with varroa, but since you're aware of varroa, it's easy to get rid of this destructors. What my dad's do is to smoke all the hives at midday with a special pesticide inside the smoker. So, enlarge your knowledge the more you know the less you fail. Good luck.

pic related one of my dad's hives.

>> No.426818

>>426415
Please, stop posting about things you don't know about.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/documents/m08138.pdf

>>426440
If you want honey, use Langstroth. It is pretty easy to do.

>>426542
Don't worry about it. Bees are pretty good with pretty much anything except pesticides. You only need to check on your bees once every 2 weeks. During that time you look for parasites and use countermeasures when you find them. Bees have natural defenses against pests. If they suddenly have problems with pests, it is more than likely your own fault and you need to do more research on preventive measures.

>> No.426837

I've only recently been in talks with national biosecurity agents and out of the knowledge I've been given I can offer a few suggestions. Look into any courses you may find at local trade colleges. We have a beekepers diploma here. That would give you a decent understanding. also from what I gather beekeeper's rely on a steady income of honey production as well as (least importantly) contractually pollinating farms that require pollination from the honey bees. Various nuts, fruits and cotton rely A LOT on the pollination from beekeeper's hives as well as pollination from wild bees. A typical Almond farm over the course of 2 weeks in the flowering season may spend up to 13 million dollars on pollination from bee keeper's.
Just something to think about, if my knowledge can help you

>> No.427018
File: 371 KB, 534x400, mitsubachisubako.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As with most everything, the 'traditional Japanese method' seems to be the best and easiest.
Why does this always happen - I'm not even weeb I promise...

Sharing some things I've found.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mituro36
http://warre.biobees.com/japan.htm
http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~kansatu/index.html

>> No.427054
File: 15 KB, 361x271, 109383784679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426818
>http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/documents/m08138.pdf
BITCH, I SAID I HEARD, not I KNOW FOR SURE

FUCK YOU

at least I was trying to help, thanks for the correction

>> No.427059
File: 34 KB, 768x432, PDVD_307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426818
>>427054
BITCH MOTHERFUCKER DID YOU EVEN READ THE STUDY YOU POSTED?

The researchers FORCED CELL SIZE, which was exactly what I said NOT TO DO. I didn't say SHIT about laying down small size cell foundations.

Let the bees do what they do, bitch. They've been dealing with the problem longer than we've known it existed.

KNOW-IT-ALL MUTHAFUCKA, SUCK A DICK, BITCH

>> No.427080
File: 500 KB, 394x222, oprah_bees.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.427153

>>427054
>>427059
Sop being a sperglord.

>> No.427919

>>427018
>ARR HAIR GROULIOUS NIPPON

>> No.428296

>Caring about bees
>Not buying Monsanto Pollinex and Monsanto Immuno-boost RoundUp Cornhoney.
laughingpostapocalypticgirlsingasmasks.jpeg

But seriously, been thinking about doing this myself in the near-future. Have a perfect area for it.

>> No.428425
File: 374 KB, 824x445, Screenshot - 04012013 - 05:45:41 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>https://www.youtube.com/user/mituro36
So I've now watched all this guys videos.
This really seems like the way to go.
>easily diy (just some very simple woodworking)
>low maintenance
>most 'natural'
Anyone here who actually keeps bees care to point out some potential problems they might see with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BK4rRrgNP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVBp1RAJKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85YEErp5xPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZldnd9wMLU

>> No.428429

>>425370
I live in a part of my country that knows its shit with bees
Just wanted to say to you, god speed OP, and don't give up
it's a nice hoby/job

>> No.428435

>>428425

the main problem with warre hives and other non-Langstroth/TBH designs is that you cannot pull out the frames of comb to inspect them. Removable frames are required in most of the US (by my understanding) as they're the only way to inspect the interior of the hive. Most folks who do use these non-standard hives are already proficient beekeepers and understand how to interpret hive activity without actually sticking their noses into the hive.
As I've suggested in previous 'I want to be a beekeeper' threads, newbees should get in touch with their local beekeeper association, or at least their regional apiary inspector, and start with a simple langstroth hive.
If you want to be all hipster/edgy, then go for it, but don't expect me to shed any tears when you get butthurt over loosing your colony because you missed signs of swarm/supercedure cells in your bespoke hivebox.

>> No.429965
File: 46 KB, 500x375, img020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428435
They have hives as my school with a little info sign. I got the guy's email and number.
There's a couple different bee association group things in my area.
There's a beekeeping seminar coming up at the big farm supply store.

How do you feel about top bar hives?

One of the draws to these nonlangstroth hives is how easily diy they are.
I don't really have money to throw at this...
I also like how much more 'natural' they seem - Sorry if that's too hipster for you.

We'll see what happens I guess.
I'm not super worried.

>> No.429980

hivemind.

>> No.429995

>>429980
http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/seeley.shtml

>> No.430009

BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

>> No.430012

>>430009
Piezo thread?

>> No.430022

really want to buy some australian native bees. no sting n shit. what do i need to keep them?

>> No.430387
File: 77 KB, 968x708, mygirls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429965
First off, go check out beesource.com, their forums are probably the best free resource for a newbee, and their forums contain all kinds of tips & instructions for folks who want to DIY with simple TBH designs.
Contact the beekeeper who's responsible for the hives on-campus, and tell him that you're looking to get started in beekeeping, and ask him if you could observe him next time he inspects/works the hives. I imagine that he'd be willing to help out an interested newbee and either let you observe/help with those hives, or possibly hives elsewhere if legal BS prevents him from letting you help on-campus. I'd definitely suggest attending the LFS seminar, which will probably give you a 1-2 hour overview of the basics of hive management, and a showcase for the stuff they want to sell you to start a hive (easily $300-500 for basic woodenware, protective gear, tools & packaged bees... which you probably is more than you can/want to drop on it.)
I'd _really_ suggest joining one of the local bee associations if you're serious about this, so much about beekeeping is regional/local, from the timing of nectar flows, local suppliers, inspection/legal issues, etc.
Assuming you're in the US, then your biggest challenge may be actually getting bees. I'm in the northeast, and like the past 3 years, everyone 'sold-out' their projected stock of packaged bees before the end of last year. The delivery of 3# packages from Georgia has already been delayed at least 2 weeks due to weather. Your best bet will be to get lucky with a local beekeeper who is willing to sell you a 'split' or if your local beekeeping association has extra packages (unlikely), either option can be expected to cost you $90-150.

If you want to get started cheaply this season, then look into making a simple TBH, and see if you can get a commercial 3# package, or a local split. Otherwise, invest in a a swarm lure and hope for the best.

pic: some of my girlfriends

>> No.430470
File: 30 KB, 242x251, me-and-my-bitch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bzz bzzzzzz,
Bz bzzz bz Bzzz, bzz Bz bzzz bzzzz bzzzzz bzz bz bzz. Bzz bz bzz bzz bzz, bzzzzzzz, bz-bzzzz bzz bzzzz bzzzz bzzzzz bz bzzzz bzz bzzzzzz bz bzzzzz bzz bzzzzzzz. Bzz bzz bzzzbzzzz bzz bz bzz bzzzz. Bzzzzzzz, bzzz bzz bz bzz bzzz bzzzzz bzz bzzzz? Bz bzzz, Bz bzzzz bz'z bzz bzzzzz bzz bz bzzzzz bzzzzzz bz bzzz bzz bzzzzzbzzzzz, bzz bzz bzz bzzz bz bz bzzzz bzz bzzzz. Bzz bz bzzz bzzzz bzzz bzzzzzz bzz bz bzzzzzzz bz bzzzbzzz. Bzz'z bz z bzzzzzzz. Bzzz bzz bz bzzz bzzz bzzz bzzz. Bz'z bzzzzz bzzz bzzzzzz. Bz bzz bzzzzzz bz bzz bzzzzzzz bzzz, bzz bzzzzz bz bz bzzzzzbzzz bzzz. bzzz bzzzzz bz bzz bzzz, bzzzz bzzz "bzzz bzz bz bzzzz bzzzz Bzzzzbzz bzzzzz?" Bz bzzz bzz bzzzzzzz B'z, bzz bzzz bz bzzzzzz bzz bzzzbzzzz (Bzz bzzz bzzz bz; Bzzz bzz BZ bzzz). Bzz bzz bzz bzzzzzz bzz bzzzz bzzz bzzz bzzzbzzzzz. Bzzzzz bzz bzzzzzbzz. Bzz Bzzzzzz: Bz'z bz bzz bz bzzzz.

>> No.430708
File: 29 KB, 500x500, 1355228182419.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>430470

>> No.430732

>>430470
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Bzz BzBz Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bzzzzz bz bz bz bz bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

>> No.431283

>>430470
you are my new idol. and icon. I may even go full-on tripfag wtih this. tyvm.
this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen a 'I want to keep bees' thread. some have been more succesful than others. should I bother pulling together notes from the previous threads (which I have cached, somewhere) and see about getting a bee/faq going and see it archived somewhere. should I bother? or just post pone and see if anyone cares?

>> No.431439
File: 39 KB, 387x429, 1362873485944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>431283

I, for one, support this idea. Do it for all the beekeepers around the world who visit this board

>> No.431464

>>425385
any source on this?

>> No.432002

>>431464
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-raw-honey-and-allergies-and-resveratrol-debunked/
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000318;p=0

and I have annecdotal evidence of this with my family members and others in the local beekeeping community. YMMV

>> No.432715
File: 45 KB, 356x400, img044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>431283
DO IT!
Get it added to the old sticky.

Which apparently I can't find the bookmark for...
Oh man, if I lost it that would be awful...
Someone help me.

>> No.432716

>>432715
http://fourchandiy.com/
Was it just this?...
If so it's changed A LOT since last I checked...
cool

>> No.434156

bumping this to save it from page 10. If any other beekeepers have suggestions or input, post it here and I'll add it to my FAQ.

>> No.434242

I support this thread.

Queen breeding for hive splits can be particularly lucrative, and doesn't take much more skill than wax and honey harvest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64cKn4rLNM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
However, brood preparation for hive splits and nuc production takes a bit more planning, but there are plenty of books and videos on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTvp1lupHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

>> No.434248

>>432715
>>432716
https://sites.google.com/site/diyelmo/

Send me a mail and i will add it there, send it to the new page and im sure the other guy will add it too, he is a cool guy doesnt afraid of anything

elmoroyd@gmail.com

>> No.435047

ok! archive swarm is go! will produce the docs for the betterment of beeks everywhere. Anyone have immediate issues or questions? I'm in the NE with 2 strong hives that have overwintered well. looking to split my strong hive to stave off last year's swarm, which worked out very well.
I believe that our packages/nucs/queens from georgia were delayed until at least last week, again this year. Mother nature and lucky management gave me two strong hives and a nice surplus of honey to harvest. both hives look good. time to see what the second season with these two very differently tempered hives will bring. I hope to split for a friend or two, but not sure about how much I can expand without finding an out-yard...
Does anyone have some immediate questions? fellow beeks, sound-off? how do your ladies fare? will post gratuitous spring beehive pr0n if prompted. vaguely warm freshly hatched chicks, lots of 'em.

>> No.435053

>>435047
pics or it didn't happen

>> No.435059
File: 27 KB, 500x364, 1363298569278.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>>/z/

>> No.435079
File: 90 KB, 400x400, 35870260.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.435502

>>435059
Haven't seen that in a while...

>> No.435539

How much money is there in this? or more realistically, how much honey?
would love to start making my own mead from the bottom up

>> No.435911
File: 24 KB, 366x301, You Have My Sword.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>435539

This. I want to support honey bees and reap the rewards as well.

>> No.436050

>>435539
A quick google search suggests over 30lbs per hive, depending on region.

>> No.436079

>>435539

I have 6 double stack supers at the end of the property backing up to a couple fruit orchards and I do about 75lbs per super per harvest, which we do about 3 or 4 times a year depending on how active they are during the summer. Could do more but we leave at least a 3rd in the box untouched.

Really it depends on how large the hive is, how established it is, and how much food/water the bees can get a hold of. We're pretty dry here so I supplement the hives with a large trough which helps bump the production.

Mind you honey is about 12 lbs a gallon so 75lbs from one hive is a hell of a lot of mead.

If you live in an urban environment go for a shallow super, remember to not harvest more than 2/3rds until the hive gets established, and plant lots of all season flowers near the hive with a ready slow moving clean water supply, hummingbird feeders with just water work ok.

>> No.436115

I downloaded a "survival" torrent a few years ago, it was something around 5GB then, and is probably larger today. In the mix of survival information, In the food folder there was a folder on beekeeping- everything you want to know and more.
Apart from this collection, I have never seen so much information on the subject all i one place.

>> No.436142

>>436115
There's a hell of a lot of trash or non-beekeeping survival guides around. Mind linking to the one in question?