[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 25 KB, 645x676, Office-Chair-High-Back-Chair-Swivel-Chair-Arm-Chair-Mana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
421265 No.421265 [Reply] [Original]

Lately I've noticed when I've sat down on my computer chair this fart smell comes from the cushion...I'm wondering what can I do to get rid of it?

>> No.421268

stop farting. buy new chair.

>> No.421272

Don't know.. Try to let it aerate outside on a fresh day

>> No.421278

buy a camera and hide it to monitor your chair. my office mates did something similar to mine.

>> No.421283

Don't sit on your chair naked. It seems your butt germs have infected it.

>> No.421320

i've got the same question but for my car.

over the years my farts have sunken into the fabric of my car seat so riding in it is equivalent riding in a big fart all day.
how can i get the odor out of the cushion and uphosltery?

>> No.421321

stop shitting on your chair
i dont even dude, i fart in my car seat AND office chair like a mexican eating beans and brussel sprouts 3 times a day and neither smell like shit

>> No.421322

>>421265
>4chan and their digestive problems

baking soda? Febreze? leave it out in the sun?

>> No.421323
File: 80 KB, 1024x683, creation_of_the_bro_fist_by_thestink411-d2uf9k4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Haven't had to deal with this one myself but generally there's the same method to cleaning things.

Step 1: Aerate it.
It could just be that your chair (Be it car or office) hasn't had enough airflow. So, lets push some air past it. You could do so passively by just opening the windows/doors to get a good flow going past it or if you're more aggressive about getting that stank out you could point fans at it. Maybe even beat it with a stick a few times if it's one of those cloth seats to get the dust out. Be creative.

Step 2: Chemicals
Try spraying some Lysol or something similar on it. Could mask the scent/kill bacteria enough for it to be tolerable. If that's not enough and you don't think it'll damage the chair go ahead and hit that with some cleaner. Not sure about leather (You may have to go to step three for that) but for cloth I'd make some sort of wash using watered down cleaner, dump it on it/work it into the material with my hands and then dry it out somehow. If putting it out in the sun for a day or two works to dry it I'd do that, or maybe use a heater to do the job. (Far enough away to not make it melt/catch fire.

Step 3: Nuke that bitch
If you REALLY want that chair to stop stinking and none of the above steps worked it may be time to just scrap the material. Take a thread remover and take apart the seams holding the fabric together being careful to remember how it all fits together still. (You may want to make a drawing of the pieces fitting together before it's completely apart. Go to a craft store and get some foam or whatever that closely matches the material that's in it and carefully carve it to match the original. If the stink is in the fabric itself then get some new fabric and reupholster it at the same time. I don't think leather would hold enough of a stink to be a problem but this would be a good time to give it a good cleaning as well.

Then just sew it back together and whala, you've got yourself a non-stinky chair.

>> No.421324

>>421323
Oh, forgot to add that on the aerate step I'd probably try vacuuming it too.

>> No.421367

>>421324
if you vacuum it you may want to try adding some of this powder stuff they sell for making carpet smell good. It's pretty much just baking soda with some kind of fragrance I think. It's pretty cheap and it makes my carpet smell good so it may work on your chair depending on the material

>> No.421411

>>421265

get your ass some NATURE'S MIRACLE, availabl at pet stores. get a quart ($20). SOAK the chair seat in it. probably take a couple days to dry.

it's an enzymatic smell kill. absolutely clear, harmless, looks and feels like water. will not harm any cloth or plastic that i can think of.

shit's fantastic.

>> No.421522

>>421265

Once you solve the problem, I recommend laying a towel down to sit on after. Change it out whenever you need to, if you do. Personally, leather computer chairs make me sweat like nobody's business, with or without pants on. But if I throw a towel down I don't have that issue.

>> No.421798

Put it in a huge durable bag, then wrap the opening of the bag and use a strong vacuum on it. Spray febreeze on it