[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 86 KB, 500x198, 1289847085504.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
42044 No.42044 [Reply] [Original]

'sup /diy/, I had no idea were to go so I just came here. I want to start doing stencils. Not in a DURR SO EDGY ANONYMOUS but in a fun urban banksy kind of way. Is there a special place where I could get some info on learning to do so? An info thingy? not the one about doing stencils inside a paper bag. Special colours I should get? I have a pretty big wall I could use in my backyard to practice so that's not an issue.

Pic somewhat related.

>> No.42055

I gave someone else tips on stencils in this thread
>>41071
Deviantart should have more tutorials on stencils if you need them.
Colors are all up to you; usually black is the standard, otherwise you can get something really bright. Matters on what kind of surface you're spraying on and what kind of message you're trying to get across...or just color preference. Personally I'm quite fond of a metallic electric blue myself.

>> No.42057

>>42055
thanks

>> No.42059

for everything not fabric: best things I've found (use stencils frequently): manilla folders, or the huuuuge magnetic sheet you can get at craftstores. shit doesn't tear, you can roll it up, just use a spray-on adhesive, and it's amazing, and you have the stencil pretty much forever. etc. manilla folders good for small pieces or layers.

for fabric, I use freezer paper. The kind with the waxy back (usually the roll has something about it being good for arts&crafts). You can't reuse it, though, which sucks.

>> No.42086

If you're just interested in a DIY thing, stencils aren't quite the way to go. I mean, they're fun, but I find a lot of DIY ingenuity goes into stuff like wheatpasting. Just making the paste alone is fun and easy and you can make some awesome stuff.

However, if you're set on stencils, more power to you. What do you mean by info thingy, though? Website? All I can think of is the diy network website, it should have some stencil how-tos there.

>> No.42143

>urban banksy kind of way.
You're thinking of wheatpasting.

And it's all trite as shit right now. You're better off not even trying.

>> No.43472

>>42044
>>come on /diy/
>>see picture of MOCAD
>>lol'd

>> No.44452

/po/ often has some stencil threads

>> No.44478

>>42143
Since when is Banksy associated with wheatpaste?

>>44452
/po/ doesn't have info regarding how to stencil. They just trade shitty cliche pictures of stuff.

OP: Just look online. There are shitloads of tutorials on youtube and other sites. There are forums devoted to stencilling (Stencil Revolution for example). Stencils are fucking easy (unless you plan on doing large, complicated, multi-layer jobbies.

Also, fuck Banksy.

>> No.44479

stencilrevolution was pretty cool a few years back - check if they're still around.

They've got some tutorials, but more importantly some legitimate artists doing stencils/t shirts/stickers/wheatpaste.

>> No.44487

>>42086
>If you're just interested in a DIY thing, stencils aren't quite the way to go. I mean, they're fun, but I find a lot of DIY ingenuity goes into stuff like wheatpasting.

Don't listen to this guy. I don't know what the fuck he's talking about and I've done both stencils and wheatpaste. Stencils are just as "DIY" as wheatpaste. And don't require you to stand over a fucking stove like a housewife.

Both are fun. Try them both if you're interested, but if you want to do one, don't let someone sway your opinion.

>> No.44499

since when is banksy not hipster related?

>itt; hipsters

>> No.44530

>>44499
I don't know if I'd go so far as to call Banksy hipster material.

He's just the artist people get into until they discover that he's a hack, media-whore, sell-out, and not actually very talented.

He was one of the first artists I was interested in when I first got into stenciling, but I discovered and met others who actually did amazing things with stencils and are doing it for something other than the money.

>> No.44783

Banksy is the artist people hate when they feel that they've gotten deep enough into street art culture that they can't rep anyone mainstream.

>> No.44820

street art has no culture. 99% of it is made in illustrator by hipsters who can't take the time to understand graffiti or the highly esoteric culture that comes with it. doing legally questionable installation projects isn't a recent phenomenon, and the only so called street art worth mentioning would fall under installation work

>> No.44840

>>44820
This
I have been doing graffiti for about 3 years now, I find stenciling to be so easy and uncreative that whenever I see one I want to punch them in the dick. Real graffiti is better in every way, it takes creativity, flow, soul, an understanding and appreciation for the culture, and some proper fucking use of paint.

>> No.45038

>>44783
That has a degree of truth to it. But I don't like Banksy because I got into different artists and learned that Banksy isn't as talented or original as most people think. There are other artists who are very well known that I love. People who may be almost as well known as Banksy. Fuck. I even like Sheperd Fairey more than Banksy.
>>44840
Spoken like someone who's not capable of doing a beautiful stencil. If I wanted, I could argue that writing your name on a wall in a way that's not even able to be read my the majority of the populace doesn't take any skill. Especially since it doesn't take as long as a good, multi-layer stencil.

However, I won't because we both know that's bullshit. And if you were less ignorant, you would know that your statement about stencils is just as bullshit as what I typed up there.

>>44820
I was going to disagree with you, but then I noticed you said 99%. Yes, most people who do stencils are a fucking joke, but there are a few who do amazing things.

>> No.45060 [DELETED] 

>>42044
UMM retards, banksy was doing graff for decades before he started doing stencils. And he is fuckin amazingly talented (watch "exit through the gift shop") he just gained noteariaty for his stencils and rode that wave. His range of styles are huge, everything from true graff, to stencils and even sculptures. Not his fault (though hes probably laughing) that amerifags jumped on his work like a frat boy on a roped out slut and made him a millionare.

Not to mention his political shit, IE the blow up doll dressed as a guntamino(sp?) detainie he put up in disney land, or my favs the work he did in Gaza, like to see you fags go out to a war zone to paint your art on a huge ass wall surrounded by sand niggers with guns.

>> No.45074

>DURR SO EDGY ANONYMOUS
>fun urban banksy kind of way

But there is no difference.

>> No.45090

>>45060
>oh hey i watched 'exit through the gift shop' now i know EVERYTHING ABOUT STREET ART EVER

he switched to stencils because he was the slow one of the crew he hung out with and couldn't tag shit up as fast as them.
shepard fairie is a cunt.

watch 'bomb it' though, it's real fuckin neeto

>> No.45113

>>42044
fuck yeah that pic is of the Museum Of Contemporary Art Detroit. i go there all the time.

>> No.45114

>>45090
so because i recomend a doco to someone you assume all my knoweldge on the subject come from that? lollolwot? it just happens to be the one most related to the topic at hand. im hardly going to tell him to go watch "kings and toys" when it has nothing to do with stencils, banksy or the points that have been raised.

>> No.45295

>>45090
I loved 'Bomb It'. Great doc.

I didn't really care much for 'Exit Through The Gift Shop'.

>> No.45433

>>45295

I'm still coonvinced we're being trolled by the whole movie.
Or at least I want to believe we are.