[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 466 KB, 2816x2112, 1353831634404.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
420356 No.420356 [Reply] [Original]

been thinking about making pic related.
how would i go about doing this.
any phone suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.
would i be able to make the wrist mount out of carbon fiber? if so how?

also total newfag here.

>> No.420366

Buy a wrist guard and tape your phone to it.

>> No.420394

Hey look, it's my wristlet!

I made a thread about it with process pics... I'll try to find it on the archives.

>> No.420399
File: 448 KB, 2112x2816, IMG_0007 (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here ya go. I'll monitor this thread if ya have any questions. :]

Good luck!

http://archive.installgentoo.net/diy/thread/336587

>> No.420415

>inb4 wrist cancer

>> No.420424

>>420415
lol'd

>> No.420425
File: 176 KB, 1615x1028, pip2013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Done one, few months ago.

Phone used: Nokia C7 ( But works for anything of comparable size. )

Materials needed:
- 2 straps from headlight
- 2 fasteners (from old backpack )
- classic rubber mousepad
- some rubber bands
- 40 cm of string (shoelace can be ok too )
Then you put it all together.

The final product is not the best looking, but it is functional. And suprisingly robust. I use it mostly for running.

>> No.420430

>>420425
Dude that's awesome! Nicely macguyver'd, haha

>> No.420436

>>420430
Thank you. The inspiration to do it, was in fact the picture OP posted, so BattlemechDood, I tip my hat off to you, sir.

>> No.420443

/diy/ read my mind. I'm gonna make one of these (or something similar) for cycling this summer. Mostly gonna use it to listen to music and see my speed.

>> No.420451

I have been pondering the craftsmanship ideas behind this kind of phone holder for a while now and after seeing this thread I think in going to attempt to piece this together as well but I wanted some thoughts on a cover of some kind, maybe a flip cover to protect it while its on my wrist and not in use, I tend to break a lot of watches by smacking my arm accidently into walls, etc. Any help would be appreciated I will keep a new thread tomorrow once I start work on the project, first post on diy, any tips? Also sorry for horrible grammer I'm writing this post on my phobe

>> No.420450

>>420399
Nice computer, I particularly like that siding.

>> No.420457
File: 231 KB, 2048x1536, 741023_10151249097928922_1756227454_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420450
Hahaha, I was in the process of building/tuning it. Here it is now.

>>420451
In the old build thread someone suggested just having a piece of flexible transparent plastic that covers the phone and closes with velcro or something.

I am considering adding metal bars around it, sorta like a roll cage.

>> No.420468

>>420457
Oh man, it looks even better now.

>> No.420470

>>420468
The thermal properties of the cardboard are... aw fuck it

>> No.420471

>>420468
It's a third gen true quad core i5 overclocked to 4.6 if that makes up for how shitty it looks!

>> No.420505
File: 129 KB, 640x480, c2ASq9n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420425

I too made one. Showed it off in a /g/ edc thread not too long ago.

>old larp leather bracer
>Galaxy Note II
>Shitty case
>Bluetooth Headset

Pretty much a prototype but I use it frequently at school. I've been wanting to add more to it and build a platform where I can add more than just a battery, phone and headset. For instance I'd like to still use the backside camera of the phone since I go urbexing every now and then.

>> No.420514

is this a bomb??

>> No.420529

>>420514
If you are here for the Allah meeting you're in the wrong place, i belive that's on /pol/

>> No.420532

>>420425
dude, you just strapped your phone on your arm.
>>420505
>I use it frequently at school.
so... you're saying you still a virgin?

>> No.420538
File: 90 KB, 490x769, 1256851334831.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420532

>> No.420541
File: 450 KB, 300x215, ohyou.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420532

>> No.420552

I think it would be a good idea to take a piece of wood and carve it up into the shape of the phone. Then use that for thermal molding a custom case (no melty phone).
Look into Kydex (or the equivalent IE: milk jugs, soda bottles, planters, buckets, etc) and the techniques that go into home made gun/knife sheaths/holsters

The hardest part is working out a flat periscope (long mirrors maybe) for the camera so it can be used while worn. That or do enough of these projects a company starts making models with lenses on the edge.

Anyone else think the pipboy should come with a sonic screwdriver peripheral.

>> No.420634

The iWatch is going to render everything here obsolete.

>> No.420648

>>420634
There's a special sense of satisfaction, in making something like this on your own (not to mention having the ability to modify it without risking breaking a several-hundred dollar device)

>> No.420719

>>420356
just wait for the iwatch and other line of watch-sized tablets to become available.
the future is coming hold your horses.
pretty soon everyone smartphone will be on their wrist

>> No.420727

>>420719
Yeah and the heads up display contact lenses will be sweet. Till folks start driving off the road from pop up adds.lol

>> No.420780

>>420634
>>420719
>>420727
I don't think you people know what board you're in.

>> No.420782
File: 243 KB, 1600x1106, _MG_0294[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's a line of "smart watches" out right now that frankly suck ass. The only one I found worth buying costs $250 - the cost of a smart phone - and smart watches have less functionality.

I'm excited about the iWatch because onve Apple gets their product out there, competitors will have to step their game up. Once the iWatch is out for a few months, I anticipate Android powered watches that try to match the functionality and beat the price (that's the strategy for competing with iPad/iPod/iPhone/iRan, right?

Until then, I'm gonna strap my phone to my wrist for cycling this summer. I'm thinking of taking one or two of those straps that come with MP3 players (remember those) for strapping to your arm, and Velcro.

>QUESTION FOR PHONEWRISTFAGS:
I want to play music and see my speed while cycling. I'll find an app that uses the GPS to display just the speed (I found one once with white text on black background) that uses less battery, but having the GPS receiver and screen on is still gonna sap up battery life. Then, even more when streaming music - less if I use headphones (but the cords get in the way) and more if I use bluetooth (cheap headsets are just one ear and poor for music) so there's drawbacks to both. And, really, I want to use one of those map apps that uploads my track to a website so i can see my stats later.

How am I gonna do all this without killing my battery half way through my ride? The penultimate solution would be a generator to charge it while riding, but then I don't think I'd want to go the wrist route because then I'd be tethered to my bike. An extra battery? One of those "charge anywhere" batteries?

Okay I went full nerdtard on this post, and have changed cycling from exercise and fun to "Oh God i need to wire my bike up to the Matrix while I ride". Or I could just buyfag out and get a speedomoter, but that wouldn't do all that other cool nerd shit.

>pic related, but not me. The fat chick's socks tho

>> No.420793

>rough draft
>CAD model
>3D model or papercraft

>> No.420800

>>420782
Magsafe style USB cable and a dynamo

>> No.420799

>>420356
The wrist mount in OP pic looks like leather.

If you wanted to use plastic, there is low-temperature thermoplastic that you can heat up with a heat gun, then cut with scissors and bend into shape. When it cools (to room temperature) it hardens. It is usually sheets 1/8" thick. Some places have different colors available. The "no-color" option is a milky white and paint doesn't really stick to it very well, so get it in the color you want if you can.

You need a heat gun to work with it, or you can dip it in boiling water for a few seconds. A hair dryer won't get nearly hot enough.

The medical places selling low-temp plastic sheet want WAY too much money for it,,,, but if you want that perforated mesh they have, you might be stuck paying out the nose for it. I've not seen the mesh sold through other places.

There's a few "inventor supplies" websites that overcharge a fantastic amount as well.
SEARCH online, this shit is CHEAP. It is the same plastic that milk jugs are made from. It's not made of gold or platinum.

One name-brand of the sheet is Kydex, search for it online. It is often used for making the plastic holsters for guns & knives, as well as a few other hobby-related things.

>> No.420931

>>420800
>Magsafe
I admit that I'm not familiar with Masafe connectors, so I Googled it, and it seems to be just a proprietary USB connector with magnets in it, so I'd still be tethered to the bike.

If I were to do this route, I suppose I could mount it to the handlebars, but then I would need to use Bluetooth for music, since I don't want to be tethered to the bike.

>> No.421053
File: 39 KB, 640x480, jabra-halo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420782
>(I found one once with white text on black background) that uses less battery
Actually, it takes slightly more power to display black on an LCD than white because the backlight is always on, so to display black, it has to align the crystals to block out the light.

>cheap bluetooth headsets are just one ear and poor for music
I use the Jabra Halo, which you can get for <$60. It has decent audio quality for both ears and also has a mic for making calls. I recommend it. Pic related.

>How am I gonna do all this without killing my battery half way through my ride?
BattlemechDood's project (the pic from OP) uses an external battery strapped on. It would also make a lot of sense to have your display turn off after a reasonable time (e.g. 5 minutes). If you want to check your speed, just press the button to show the display.

>>420799
Or just buy a wrist brace or forearm guard for $10.

>> No.421082

>>420356

>ITT: How to look like a autistic virgin.

>> No.421085

>>421082

>inb4an

>> No.421273
File: 9 KB, 250x250, charger_light.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>421053
>it takes slightly more power to display black on an LCD than white
Oh man I had no idea about that.

>Jabra Halo,
Probably a great headset, but too bulky for cycling. I was picturing the tiny little things that clip on your ear because it wouldn't really get in the way.

> have your display turn off after a reasonable time
i can't do that either. It's just my personal preference, but I like to check my speed once every few seconds. Maybe I'm a little OCD, but I really only feel satisfied if I keep my speed constant the whole time.

I think what I'm gonna do is get a digital speedometer for the bike, and velcro the phone to my arm or wrist and use earbuds with a really long cord I can route through my t-shirt, and then also run that GPS mapping app. If that seems to kill the battery, I'll use one of those external "charge anywhere" deelies like pic related.

>> No.421398

What is the point of making a wrist phone, or having a smart watch when Google is going to render that technology obsolete by the end of the year?

>> No.421402

>>421398
What is the point of any DIY project?

>> No.421511

Let's say I made one of these to play airsoft (communications, controlling bluetooth claymores and simple sentries, flashlight...).

How would I protect the screen from pellets and still be able to type? I thought of a transparent plastic screen with hinges, but I would appreciate ideas.

>> No.421515

>>421511
Bluetooth keyboard and scratchpad combo. Look on amazon, <$50