[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 11 KB, 363x430, 100_1000c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
395042 No.395042 [Reply] [Original]

Hey diy, I am horrible at creating things, can anyone give a dumbass simple-ish ideas/ instructions on turning an old bike into a pedal powered butter churn?

>> No.395049

>>395042
Wow, second!!!

>> No.395056

Offhand, I'd say look at Bicycle-powered generator builds, then just replace the generator with your churn.

It also might be easier to start with an old exercise bicycle, I know a lot of bike generator setups are like that.

Don't forget to do your RPM calculations so you don't turn the churn too fast.

Some inspiration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAZIDFMRXY

http://victoria.ac.nz/physics-resource-centre/demos/Circuits_and_Electromagnetism/BicycleGenerator/BicycleGenerator.htm

>> No.395063
File: 48 KB, 600x362, 028-040-02.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.395066

Looks like you'd do better to start with an old hand crank egg beater?

>> No.395120

OP, better idea!

Get 1 or more very clean gallon paint can(s). Fill 2/3 with heavy cream, and salt if desired. Seal well. Take to local home store and ask them to put it in their mixer, tell them to run it twice for good measure.

When it comes out - fresh butter!

I've done this a few times, made so much fresh butter I gave some to friends as gifts. If the people at the paint store ask to open it before or after mixing, just be honest, they are usually interested and excited to see it work, never had them say no (after all, how could cream fuck up the machine any more than paint?)

>> No.395179

>>395120
Holy fuck! I work part time at a home improvement store. I am so fucking doing this later this week.

>> No.395994

It it actually economical to churn your own butter? Or are we just /diy/ing for the sake of it?

>> No.396012

>>395994
Not everything /diy/ed has to be for economical reasons. Sometimes doing it yourself produces better quality. For instance, fresh churned butter is creamier and tastes better than store bought.