[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 8 KB, 250x210, 1360214909988s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
392100 No.392100 [Reply] [Original]

saw this on /pol/ thought it would fit better on here.

this has me interested, being self sufficient, off the grid.

>> No.392102

shameless bump

>> No.392104

>>392100
Your failures are many:

- bumping on a slow board after 3 minutes.
- posting a fucking unreadable thumbnail as content
- providing little or no detail or background about what you want to talk about or why
- No question, no content contribution, no conversation starter.

sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage sage

>> No.392125

Theres a shipping container thread here. It's probably the cheapest way to live off the grid: >>389539

>> No.392127
File: 112 KB, 1061x892, gjE5b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

contributing

>> No.392144

Is there a way to collect the heat generated from composting? Like some sort of stirling engine powered by a composting toilet?

>> No.392173

>>392144

Sure. Just have a series of pipes inside the compost material to absorb the heat. Its a balancing act though. Let the compost get to hot and you can have a fire. Cool it down too much and the composting reaction stops. Our ag department had one of these systems for their experimental compost pile. One too many fires forced them to put it in. I don't know how hell it would work for liquid waste though.

>> No.392176

>>392125
1/10, atleast made me reply

>> No.392210
File: 57 KB, 381x501, otg screenshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A few weeks back in an Off-The-Grid thread, I posted my collection of OTG documents, how-tos, do-it-yourself tips, and general permaculture information.

Here's the .tor link, I'll be seeding until 2pm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/om9olav3l9qph9n/Off%20the%20Grid%20Club.rar.torrent

>> No.392211

>>392210
2pm est, you have 5.5 hours

>> No.392223

>>392144
>Is there a way to collect the heat generated from composting?

Heat and pressure in the compost pile is what turns organic matter into so-called "fossil fuels"
drawing off this heat would slow the process.

We layer-in vent piping in landfills, to prevent anything really useful from forming by stripping away hydrocarbons in their earliest stages, before more complex chains can form. This also acts to vent heat, and increase the overall lifespan of the landfill, ensuring that future generations will be able to enjoy them.

>> No.392235

>>392223
holy dicks, what?

>Heat and pressure in the compost pile is what turns organic matter into so-called "fossil fuels"
drawing off this heat would slow the process.

False, the heat is simply waste heat generated BY the organisms that break down your pile. They do not create fossil fuels, they convert nitrogen and phosphorus into forms usable for plants.

I'm stopping there, 5/10 for making me respond.

>> No.392238

>>392235
http://sustainablog.org/2009/07/an-inconvenient-truth-about-composting/

>> No.392242

>>392238
attempts at aerating compost to increase oxygen result in an increase of Nitrous Oxide released, stripping even more nitrogen from the compost reducing it value as a fertilizer.

>> No.392246

>>392238
If you're producing methane with your compost pile, you're doing it wrong.

What else would you do with waste and scrap? If you simply throw them out, they'll end up undergoing the same reactions in a landfill at a less efficient pace, and the resulting fertile soil is mixed with heavy metals and nondegrading trash that renders it useless for growing.

We can't have a net of zero effects on the planet, but we can sure as hell bring our carbon footprint down as much as possible.

>> No.392247
File: 18 KB, 709x532, thermo1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392235
>the heat is simply waste heat generated BY the organisms

tiny demons spawned in the depths of hell by satan himself, imparted with supernatural abilities, capable of defying the laws of nature.

>> No.392248

>>392247
That's not what he's implying at all. Cellular respiration is exothermic and some of the stored chemical energy is released as heat. People don't like to explain the process every single time so they say things like 'waste heat generated'. Stop being a fucking goob.

>> No.392249

>>392247
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolism

>> No.392250
File: 41 KB, 902x639, ProcessFlowDiagram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392246
You are incorrect.

ALL organic matter can be safely converted into usable fuel, not just plastics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKvZ8OO0pVE

>> No.392251

>>392250
Well yea, but we're talking composting, not gasification.
Separate processes.

>> No.392257

>>392251
you've mastered a means of isolating the two processes in favor of composting? you should publish immediately. If your system recaptures carbon at the same time, rather than merely blowing it off as a waste byproduct, you'll make billions, and gain the respect of humanity.

Meanwhile... converting organic waste into usable energy is already being done with zero waste byproduct.

>> No.392258

>>392210
Thanks

>> No.392259

>>392257
Gasification:
Gasification is a process that converts organic or fossil based carbonaceous materials into carbon monoxide, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. This is achieved by reacting the material at high temperatures (>700 °C), without combustion, with a controlled amount of oxygen and/or steam. The resulting gas mixture is called syngas (from synthesis gas or synthetic gas) or producer gas and is itself a fuel. The power derived from gasification and combustion of the resultant gas is considered to be a source of renewable energy if the gasified compounds were obtained from biomass.

Compost:
Compost (pron.: /ˈkɒmpɒst/ or /ˈkɒmpoʊst/) is organic matter that has been decomposed and recycled as a fertilizer and soil amendment. Compost is a key ingredient in organic farming. At the simplest level, the process of composting simply requires making a heap of wetted organic matter (leaves, "green" food waste) and waiting for the materials to break down into humus after a period of weeks or months. Modern, methodical composting is a multi-step, closely monitored process with measured inputs of water, air and carbon- and nitrogen-rich materials. The decomposition process is aided by shredding the plant matter, adding water and ensuring proper aeration by regularly turning the mixture. Worms and fungi further break up the material. Aerobic bacteria manage the chemical process by converting the inputs into heat, carbon dioxide and ammonium. The ammonium is further converted by bacteria into plant-nourishing nitrites and nitrates through the process of nitrification.

Straight off wikipedia.
They are not the same, and not similar.
Get this out of your head.

>> No.392260
File: 185 KB, 604x548, 1288032778014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392210
Thanks, I was looking for something combining all of it like that lately!

>> No.392262

>>392259
>Gasification

I see you were able to follow as far as the first stage of the diagram that I posted. >>392250

Do you need help understanding the rest, or can you figure it out on your own?
Gasification is just the first step in the process.

>> No.392265

>>392262
The rest is distillation, a relatively simple process.

>> No.392266

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5PWM1nOh3Q

>> No.392272

>>392260
>>392258
no problemo

>>392210
2 and a half hours left, then hopefully someone else is seeding.

>> No.392273

Wow, I'm pleased to return to see my question not only answered but thoroughly discussed and dissected. In a completely civil manner.

I love you /diy/, don't ever change.

>> No.392275

>>392248
>People don't like to explain the process every single time so they say things like 'waste heat generated'.

I was surprised to see that schools still teach kids that wood burns.
I suppose it's just easier to mindfuck a child, than to actually explain how the gasses which burn are released by the heated wood.

>> No.392276

>>392275
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlogiston_theory

>> No.392287 [DELETED] 
File: 75 KB, 800x654, sanc_wood_dugout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Good Morning!

I want to build/dig a hole going straight down about 12ft that will then open up into a room. Basically I want to make a secrete room underground. Either in my back yard or out in the bush somewhere.

I know it will take quite a long time as I will have to hand dig most of it.

Any advice from builders or engineers on what bracing I should use to prevent collapse. Also, any advice on getting some power into it if I build it out in the middle of no where. Won't need much power, maybe a constant 2400watt 240 volt connection for a small fridge and toaster/TV.

DIY pics on this subject would be a BONUS!

Bumping with anything you guys want!

>> No.392294

>>392272
Not complaining, but it's less diversified than I tought (but still very interesting). Would you mind if I started a thread here to see if people have more info to put into it?
(I'm mostly interested in the reconstruction side)

>> No.392297

>>392100
Lots of dumb ideas in that graphic, or just plain not feasible ideas.

>> No.392300

>>392294
go for it. I believe I stuck a readme in there allowing people to do so.

I'll look for the thread later today so I can grab and seed the newest version

>> No.392308

>>392297
>just plain not feasible ideas.

I love the way that people dismiss things so easily.

forget about waste. recycling will never pay for itself. It will always take more energy to recycle, than to shove it up your ass and sit on it.

pffft, solar panels could never provide 100% of your power needs, stick with a reliable diesel generator.

a heatpump could save you millions over a LIFETIME, but who lives that long? It would cost you thousands RIGHT NOW out of pocket to set it up. It's just not worth the investment for small scale. If you were an corporation, it would be different.

Wind generator, LOL. If they worked, power companies would be installing them everywhere.

>> No.392318

>>392300

>>392315

>> No.392376
File: 634 KB, 1163x747, JeanPain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392144
Have a look at this book. This guy pulled heat and methane gas off his compost piles:
http://burlingtonpermaculture.weebly.com/uploads/4/2/8/9/4289790/anotherkindofgarden.pdf

>> No.392398

Why do people constantly shit on solar panels and wind/water turbines.

No, they will not power a fully running modern day house without a prohibitively large infrastructure.

What they do is they harness energy out of systems that are, for our purposes, infinite or completely renewable.

And, while solar panels typically produce power equal to only 17% of the solar energy touching it and wind turbines produce power equal to roughly 50% of the wind energy moving the rotors, you must keep in mind that the original sources are free and are/caused by outside systems.

The fact that solar panels and wind turbines aren't on every roof on the planet is mind boggling. The RoI makes it worthwhile for anyone to purchase or make them.

>> No.392423

>>392308
To save a million on heating, assuming I live 55 more years, I'd have to be spending 1500 a month.

>> No.392433
File: 30 KB, 213x312, Richard_Proenneke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dick Proenneke. Y'all are a bunch of fags if ya don't know him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

>> No.392434

>>392433
>dem feels

>> No.392471

>>392308
Do I really need to point out the problems with every single thing in that pic? I don't have time for that.

Most of the ideas there are pie-in-the-sky ideas that aren't practical. Water electrolysis uses more energy than you can get from the hydrogen. Wind has to be there in the first place, and you need to live somewhere where you're allowed to have a turbine. Can't use hydroelectric unless you live near a river, and you have to have permission to do that anyway. Solar panels are nice but it takes >10 years to pay for themselves. Most cities/counties/states have laws preventing you from collecting your own rain water, believe it or not. Ground source heat pump is only good for supplementation. Septic tanks need to be serviced or they turn in to a nightmare. I suppose all this is fine if you're counting on the End Of The World coming and expect to HAVE to do everything yourself, but then you need an entire compound that's defensible, enough space for farming and livestock inside it, and enough people and weapons to defend it from the outside world, which will overrun you and take all your shit, and leave you dead, dead, dead.

Summary: This is a dumb thread except as a thought-experiment.

>> No.392480

>>392127
Thanks.

>>392125
Also a great way to save on a grave.

Not so /diy/ but I loved the show "the good life", you're self-sufficiency idea reminded me of it.

>> No.392533

What most opponents are really saying is: "I have to pay a fortune to live every month, so you should too" These same people, as a prior anon pointed out, even support imposing restrictions and regulations to prevent you from from saving money. Yeah they jelly.

Others argue against alternative energy, because they have investments in energy companies which they hope to profit from. In addition to bad mouthing alternatives, they will sometimes throw in a promotional plug for their investment of choice, as their recommendation, which makes them easy to spot. For example: "solar sucks lol I use bloobermons gasoil in mycars, it's the best"
Take their "sage-ing" advice with a grain of salt.

Legitimate arguments do not include the wording: I don't has time to sit here and explain why it don'ts work lol I has better things to do, but take my word for it, I"VE never seen efficient solar solar panels.

Satellites of course drop like flies within days of deployment, due to the defective solar panels in them. Had those satellites be powered by bloobermon gas, we'd have satellites that work.

Clearly, energy companies are using wind power. It works, but you'd have to buy an old electric golfcart, to get a good size DC motor capable of generating any useful amount of power, and your golf cart would be worthless if you took the motor out of it. bloobermons gas won't let you down

>> No.392558

>>392433
He's a big inspiration for me.
And not just for diy, for living on your own terms in general.

>> No.392664

Solar/wind/watermill is all good stuff for off-grid use if you have the land and maintenance regimen to support it. It will never be cheaper than grid power, but it will let you get off the grid.

A lot of people don't consider the importance of where and how you use different generation methods. Where solar & wind doesn't make sense, is as a basis for the grid itself. They simply don't provide the necessary return on investment (materials, land footprint, etc...).

Solar panel production in particular is anything but green. Massive amounts of clean water is needed and toxic waste produced. The things don't last forever, either. They slowly wear out under the sun and become less and less efficient as they degrade.

>> No.392669

>>392558
>>392434
>>392433
All the documentaries are on the pirate bay. I guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

>> No.392670

>>392127
>live off the grid

>electricity grid

Umm....

>> No.392695

>>392670
>being this much of a nigger
Off the gird means off the main societal grid, not that you cannot have your own grid.

>> No.392704

>>392695

I read that and figured it was because the OP mentioned living off the grid then posted a picture of a setup that is very clearly connected to the power grid. The caption even suggests that you'd be selling power to the grid through alternative energy.

Regardless, "off the grid" is a term that applies to the power grid as readily as the connection to society. It's up to the poster to clarify if they've been vague, and not for you to shove words in their mouth.

>> No.392752

Ever hear of community power grids. For example, some small gated communities have implemented their own power, water, sewer, cable tv and internet services. I do maintenance on the satellite, cable, and internet in one such community.

It's a very wealthy Golf-club neighborhood. The houses are 8000sqft minimum. Each home built in the community pays costs of their portion of the systems, sewer pipes, water pipes, cable, wiring etc. They don't get free installation like a regular cable tv company. they have to pay a lot to connect, but after installation their costs for everything is a fraction of typical bills. They are only paying for fuel, and maintenance which is shared by all of the home owners.
These people could burn money just for fun, and they went "off grid" so i'm convinced.

Imagine if everyone on your city block shared one high speed internet account. That's essentially what they have. 5 satellite dishes and some antennas feed their cable system, which it one rack, and a series of amplifiers. Every house gets 400 channels, and again it's like they all share the cost of one account.

They have 2 big turbines, and concrete pads for 2 more in the future. Only about 40% of the homes have been built, but they are ready to expand.
Their own reverse osmosis water plant, and sewage treatment plant. Their own police force, with security systems and cameras everywhere, even though it's gated and no one get in unless they are on a list.

>> No.394504
File: 353 KB, 900x2793, 1330222586729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here you go