[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 750 KB, 1055x951, grave.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
386814 No.386814 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ this is the first project I'm posting here. It's a stealth van / capsule home that is going to be powered by 4 195w roof mounted solar panels, and a battery bank consisting of 12 6v 225ah golf cart batteries. This will power my needs of 2 tablets, a laptop, a 4g hotspot, a few led lights, and 2 fans or a 500w ac/heater. I plan on doing this with a ford econoline E350 cargo van which will become my new software development / sleeping quarters.

>Solar Panels (x4)(195w ea)
http://www.grapesolar.com/index.php/products/modulesandkits/gs-s-195-fab3/
>Charge Controller (40a mppt)
http://www.civicsolar.com/product/blue-sky-energy-sb3024il-duo
>Battery Tender
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-800-Waterproof-Charger/dp/B000CITKCE/
>Battery Desulfator
http://www.altestore.com/store/Deep-Cycle-Batteries/Desulphators/Battery-Life-Savers-BLS-1224-B-Battery-Saver-Desulfator/p199/
>Batteries (x12)(6v 225a Trojan T-105-RE)
http://www.trojanbattery.com/products/t-105plus6v.aspx
>1000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-2203-Elite-1000W-Inverter/dp/B0030GJ3EA

Still looking for recommendations on fuses and cabling. Would appreciate if anyone with electrical experience would look it over and tell me what they think. Also please don't tell me to use a generator, it's loud, emits toxic fumes, and will ultimately cost more money between inflation and constant refueling.

Also answering any questions.

>> No.386825

bedding will be this futon I picked up at wal-mart for pretty cheap. Plan on making it fold and clip to the interior wall when it's not in use or if I need to access my battery bank.

Also I want to try to put Faraday insulation when I do the interior of the cargo area to protect against emp from either solar activity or war, should also protect against electromagnetic emanation surveillance or physical attacks on my devices. I'm using a 4g hotspot so I may have to connect it to an external antenna.

2 fans will be used in place of the power hungry 500w ac/heater except for when it's needed.

Showers will be done after my morning trip to the gym in the locker rooms.

Bathroom usage will be like it has always been in a vehicle - you either drive somewhere, or pull over and figure out what to do. I plan on getting a foldout chair toilet with a double lined trashbag for emergencies, the bag can be tossed like you would if you walked a dog. It sounds a lot worse than it is, most of the time you're going to be parked SOMEWHERE, usually there will be a bathroom nearby. If you're in the middle of nowhere - who cares what you poop in?

Refrigeration will be done using a 40w cooler, mainly just for cold beverages. My food will either be dry food / vegetables or I'll eat out (something you can afford when you don't have to pay rent or utilities).

>> No.386834

god i love crazy people who actually understand some tech. i'll admit that i love you for entertainment value, and no other reason.

>> No.386862

>>386834
Heh, what in particular crossed the line to crazy?

My problem is that I'm smart and lazy I guess. I don't want to work to pay for a couch that I won't have time to sit on. So basically I've decided spend 10k up front and I'm set for the next 20 years. All my income can go into savings after food, gym, and internet costs. I don't need a big house, my own bathroom, kitchen, or living room. I just need a comfortable place to sleep at night or sit and write some software.

>> No.386870

>>386825
Don't make the futon fixture too permanent, yore gonna want to be able to replace it once the humidity gets to it.

I mean you DO know how much moisture a human emits?
In such a confined space you're looking at a healthy dose of condensation inside all your electronics' nice cool metal casings.

>> No.386872

>>386862

For the record, I'm not >>386834 but you crossed into crazy when you got to EMP shielding.

>> No.386895

>>386872

Yes, this. And this anon >>386870
is spot on. I've lived in a van before and it sucked balls. After a few hours everything had a layer of moisture on it, windows all fogged up, etc. You can feel the moisture in fabric like your clothes and bedding. Makes it uncomfortable to sleep in, at least for me. I could never sleep more than about 4-5 hours before I woke up from the moisture and couldn't get back to sleep.

I wish people would have the chance to try these things out before they jump into it so they can fully understand the drawbacks.

>> No.386898

>>386872
Yeah I'll admit that has some crazy vibes to it, but really there's no point in buying a battery desulfator to extend my battery life to 20-30 years if a CME hits earth and fries my equipment. It only costs about $50 more to insulate it from the start, and then I'm protected from any maliscious magnetic/radio waves. Just trying to protect my investment really. It's pretty feasible that a CME can destroy electrical infrastructure that isn't hardened against it. Whether or not it happens is a different story, can't be too careful I guess.

>>386870
It will just be 2-3 screws with hoops on the end that I can clip the end of the bed to using some d rings. Very replaceable. I was actually considering a lower watt evaporative cooling air conditioner, but decided against it for that reason, plus I live in florida.

>> No.386900

>>386895
would it make a difference if I told you I'm a floridian used to high humidity?

>> No.386902

>>386898
The "everything rots so no reason to build anything to last more than a decade" state?

>> No.386922

>>386902
pretty much, I have a reverse horror story from moving to a dry climate after living in florida all my life.

I moved to north texas 3 years ago, and when I first got there I kept coughing up blood because I breath out of my mouth when I sleep. Every morning for 3 months I'd repeat this routine, until finally I found a job and purchased a vicks steamer, blew that on my face every knight and slept like a baby.

I'll tell you though, I was actually more worried about the van being too dry on the inside instead too humid, when I get in my car during the day it's dry from having the stale air sit in the sun. I think if there is a humidity issue worse than what's outside I could run the fans with the windows cracked to get air circulating. Hopefully my insulation will work though.

>> No.386942

>>386922
Thing is, electronics like low humidity, humans like moderate humidity.

And a constant night draft... pneumonia isn't just a cold climate thing.

The issue is that you'll be spending what.. 12-18 hours a day in the car, that's a lot of humidity.
And somehow i doubt you'll be sitting with the dors open for everyone to oogle your bedroom/techlab.

Can't stop you, but... think hard man.

>> No.386958

>>386942
well I'm from /g/ so I'm not really concerned about my computers, I replace them every 2-3 years anyway. My tablet can take it, my laptop is a thinkpad so it won't die for anything less than a direct lightning strike as far as hardware is concerned. My battery equipment is going to be in a steel enclosure (with antistatic lining). This has to be done not only to protect the batteries, but to contain their heat.

I think there's a misconception that I'll be spending 18 hours in the van. One of the nice things about not being rooted to a home is that you can get out more. I can do anything I'd sit in my van doing during the day at a park or a coffee shop. It's actually more beneficial I go to a library or the mall during the day so I'm not cycling my batteries and draining power unnecessarily.

I appreciate your concern nonetheless. Had I not already developed this living strategy over the last 5 years some of these points would be good to take into consideration.

>> No.386959

You could also make a quick moisture sink with some silica (sold as cat litter a lot) or calcium chloride or something. just a thought. Its a small space, so it wouldn't take much.

>> No.386967

>>386958
Ah, read it as you were going to work and sleep in your van.
If you set up a decent vent to run when you're out interior climate should be manageable, maybe even better then the average home the get aired out far to rarely.
(Man al that shit they hammer you with in janitor training sticks, full draft 3 times a day minimum 5 minutes)

>> No.386972
File: 1.62 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20130114_231245.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>386959
heh, maybe I'll bring my cat after all.

>> No.386976

>>386972
inb4 peta, I know it's still a bad idea lol.

I was thinking about doing it with rice though when it was mentioned. Any differences over silicates?

>> No.386982

>>386972
Place will stink up fast, unless you're on of the few that actually dares to let cats be casts and ignore the "cat-raping pedofile pyromaniac satanic teenagers" every other American seems to expect lurking on every corner.

>> No.386983

>>386976
Silicates are better at it.

>> No.386985

>>386967
I'll definitely look into this, mold is my biggest worry concerning humidity and I definitely want to avoid that in any case.

Are we talking something similar to a bathroom vent?

>> No.386993

>>386985
Yeah, the issue is protecting it from rain, debris and asshats.

>> No.386994
File: 15 KB, 300x304, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Instead of an Econoline, why not start with a Sprinter that's tall enough to stand in?

>> No.386996

>>386993
An active fan vent to be specific, maybe a big lazy one so it won't make too much noise.

>> No.387006

>>386994
It doesn't look as wide on the top, Do you know the roof's dimensions?

I went with E350 because they're are a dime a dozen where I live so they blend in perfectly.

>> No.387034

>>386814

I'm saying this especially because you mentioned you're "good for some 20 years". I'm afraid you might pump some 15-20k on something that you'll soon be forced to abandom because life. However, it can still payoff if you hold it off long enough as to make "profit" out of it. I'm sure you have weighted the options, but you'd probably be percieved as some kind of weird vagabond hobo (which you are, dirty hippie)

>> No.387057

>>386994
Sprinters are pretty uncommon stateside, and aftermarket is for shit here.

>> No.387065

>>387057

Uncommon? Its sold under the Dodge brand here and they're all over the place out here in California. I don't know about the aftermarket.

>> No.387090

>>387034
Well I definitely intend on using it until something better comes along, so if it doesn't outweigh my investment then I probably won't look twice. Right now I'm about to be fresh out of college, so I can see this holding me off throughout my internship phase while I work part-time to cover what's left of the initial cost and my other small bills.

Once I land a good paying job I'll be in a position to reconsider my living situation, although I'd imagine it would be better to continue minimal living arrangements while accumulating wealth.

>> No.387097
File: 156 KB, 791x717, balloonfrog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Very cool idea. Best of luck to you. As a friendly tip, most downtown areas have unprotected power outlets at the base of the trees. That's what they plug the christmas lights into in the winter time. They don't have the resources or the interest to prevent people from leeching off of them provided it's not 24/7. You'd have to feed the meter, but this is a good way to grab a very cheap recharge if the weather makes solar charging impossible.

>> No.387099

Solar is good, but have a small turbine for night time airflow/recharges too.
The humidity problem can be solved by looking online for dehumidifiers that use power blocks to convert from AC to DC, cut out the middle man and you got a low power dehumidifier. Just build your own bed by hand, get a mattress for it either as a replacement or just throwing a futon frame away. Much better to use those 4''-5'' closed cell foam mattresses(will usually have to cut some away, useful for other area's too). A dehumidifier will do most of your cooling needs too in a moist environment, as long as you get rid of excess moisture outside of van(drip tube, one way valve, outside)

>> No.387100

>>387065
They used to be marketed as a Dodge...that ended when Daimler sold off it's interests in Chrysler...

It's actually a Mercedes Benz...and they arn't as uncommon as one would believe, but they are quite expensive...

>> No.387103

Make it a loooooveeee shack

>> No.387104

>>387034
also it's 10k firm. I totalled my modifications to TOTAL at 4.2k, I'll give it 500 dollars of wiggle room. E350s range from 3k to 5k for a decent used model.

I could get a newer model for about 10-15k, but I'd rather take my chances and go to a mechanic if anything goes terribly wrong. The initial cost is the biggest hurtle for this project and I don't need to drive very far for the time being. I'll put more money into the vehicle later on if I stick with it.

>> No.387107

>>387097

Also, parking's usually free from like 7pm to 7am. So he could plug an extension cord in, and use that to power space heaters and other shit that's too hungry to run off the batteries. It'd keep the inside nice and toasty at night so he could sleep more comfortably.

>> No.387108

>>387099
oh you are evil for mentioning to this for me, I've been considering one of these since their output is big. Will consider this after I get everything else done since it will be a bit more expensive.

>> No.387123

>>387107
Was sort of avoiding dicussing the illegal aspects of this, but you're very correct. I don't want to do it at the library because the gubments already are cutting financing for them in my area. But I'd totally sit down in a courthouse cafe and charge all my electronics to full to save my battery bank. I was actually looking at those hybrid vehicle charging stations for my battery bank - but it's an unfamiliar area to me at the moment.

I could also apply for foodstamps if I wanted to, all I have to tell them is that I'm living in my vehicle. Thanks to social norms I could live comfortably on their dollar since I'm not complient with them.

I am a bit of a moralfag sometimes though.

>> No.387131

>>387123
>and charge all my electronics to full to save my battery bank

The battery bank too. Most of all. Why not? You're gonna be parked overnight anyhow. They won't notice the draw. It's an insignificant cost to the city, less than a dollar most likely.

>> No.387138
File: 67 KB, 190x177, 1357245459992.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>387097

>> No.387142
File: 56 KB, 640x480, 2312321357894353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any love for step vans OP?

>> No.387149

>>387131
you make a good point sir. I'm being paranoid the feds will catch on, but I know if I don't shit where I sleep and change my locations frequently this shouldn't be difficult.

each battery does 75 amps 6 volts for 115 minutes. So at 450 watts (ac running on normal) it will total at 23 hours of constant power draw. This of course is under ideal circumstances, 20 hours is more in the ballpark. Not sure how long they'll take to charge. Would I just replace the line going to the charge controller with a grounded wall jack?

>> No.387157

>>387149

I'd use independent smart chargers. One for each battery. I'd plug them all into one of those long power strips used for server farms. This ensures every battery winds up fully charged, a poor man's BMS. The cord coming from the power strip is what you actually plug into the grid.

>> No.387159

>>387142
I certainly wouldn't mind it, but they look harder to manuver through a mcdonalds drive thru which makes it a little less practical. Although I do like the additional space. The deciding gripe for me would be that the exits are more confined and that makes me feel claustrophobic, which probably doesn't help for this sort of lifestyle. Also I'd be tempted to spend more money on better solar panels since there's more space, not really a negative, but I want to keep it minimal.

>> No.387164

>>387159
I'm not >>387142 , but:

Solution: have a bike stowed in there. it'll cut down on fuel cost too.

>> No.387170

>>387164
You're right, fuel cost is another thing that had me worried about larger vehicles. I'm a good driver but those box trucks make me worry because I've never driven anything that large. A bike would certainly change things. Does a normal drivers liscense apply for these trucks?

>> No.387174 [DELETED] 

>>387170
Yep. You only need special licenses if you're driving large vehicles commercially.

>> No.387178

>>387170
Yep. You only need special licenses if you're driving large vehicles commercially. Plus Im sure those are under 26klbs

>> No.387191

>>387170

I think a CDL is leagally required in this case. As for fuel mileage you'd be getting 8-12mpg with a fair load out of a 350 - similar to a cargo van. Its a fantastic platform space wise if you're in it for the long haul (lel). Gotta pay to play!

>> No.387203 [DELETED] 

>>387191
nope, check CDL exemptions. (op said he lives in florida)

>> No.387205

>>387191
nope, check CDL exemptions. (op said he lives in florida) http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/dlclass.html

>> No.387216

Not reading all this so far, because i already see a huge issue with it...

If you park near any tall buildings, people will see the solar panels and right away realize whats going on, and call the cops.

>> No.387219

>>387216
Who the fuck would call the cops because they saw what MIGHT be solar panels on the top of a truck? As long as he doesn't park in one place forever he'll be fine.

>> No.387220
File: 60 KB, 800x600, 35076765452355543.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ambulances: prewired, spacious, plenty'o storage cabinets, and secure. Nobody would rob an ambulance.

>> No.387221

Being a freshman in college, I will have to consider this route... I want to accumulate wealth just as you do. First pay off those bitchy student loans.... then invest a good amount of my post-college earnings. Hopefully that will allow me to live a financially healthy life.

Either this or move back in with my parents... I'd rather do this and go from place to place, city to city. Kind of seeing the country on a low budget while working. Gas will suck though....

>> No.387225

THAT GUY IS PARKED SOMEWHERE WITH SOLAR PANELS ON HIS ROOF, CALL THE COPS HE'S EATING THE SUN.

But really, I don't think this will be a problem. Florida's geography doesn't allow for large buildings in most locations due to soft soil.

>> No.387230

>>387225
This. If they even fucking noticed. When's the last time you looked at the tops of cars close enough to notice something like that. Fucking never that's when.

>> No.387234

>>387220
Except for every druggie looking for pillz.

>> No.387237

>>387221
Happy I could help, my situation is not very different from yours. I feel somewhat hopeless when I look at apartments in my area compared to job oppurtunites and wages. I have 3000 pulled out for a loan this semester and just started a new part time job (a true miracle), between the two I hope to have this going within a couple of months. Can't think of many better places to put the money towards at this point.

I've considered shipping the van to europe once I have enough cash in my savings and just enjoying life from there on out. Freelance programming for odd cash to keep myself occupied.

>> No.387240

>>387237
youre gonna want to make sure it fits in a cargo container then. http://www.foreign-trade.com/reference/ocean.cfm

>> No.387243

>>387240
thanks for the link, I've checked it out before out of curiosity but didn't think twice about bookmarking it.

>> No.387252
File: 35 KB, 652x580, 2012-02-15_023802_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>387243
it looks tight..

STANDARD 20'

INSIDE LENGTH
INSIDE WIDTH
INSIDE HEIGHT
DOOR WIDTH
7'8"
7'10"
7'8"
7'6"

>> No.387258

>>386862

Dear God, this is absolutely the worst investment idea I have ever read, besides the Facebook IPO.

You will never make any money you put in back. It doesn't take a financial wizard to figure out vehicles and electronics are two of the worst investments as they start depreciating once they are sold. Also I hope you have insurance when your vehicle gets rammed by Pedro who is driving with his cousins 98' Civic, but that is probably the least of your concerns with this monstrosity as a living/investment home.

Ultimately, poor investment, poor security, and way too simplistic of a plan. I would take that $10,000 and put a down payment on a piece of property that would actually provide a sound investment. Heck, a trailer home would be better than this.

Not sure if a troll, idea is not well thought out, waste of money, and defies common logic.

>> No.387275

>>387258
saving all the money you'd pay in rent with the ability to spend it at any point along the way, while not being tied down to any particular spot on the map, and living frugally all bad ideas?
What property can I buy in 2013 for 10000?
Its not investing in the dollar, or in gold, or assets. It's filling 21st century human living requirements, and saving all the rest. It's not living in a van, it's sleeping in one. It's living on earth, I don't need to pay to sleep in a $100,000 home, I don't need to rent a kitchen and a toilet for $700 a month. I just need a place to sleep comfortably at night.

Having that basic need filled leaves me with something money can't buy, freedom. I could stop working so as long as I could feed myself. With that in mind, I work when I want to, because I want to. I have freedom from selling myself into part-time slavery. I can work the jobs I want to because thats what I want to do, not because it's what I have to do in order to have a roof over my head.

From that, any investments I do make are much more meaningful, because of choice - not cost.

>> No.387284

>>387275
>Having that basic need filled leaves me with something money can't buy, freedom.
I'm sure Bill Gates hates not being able to do whatever he wants...

>> No.387290

Oh my! Where to start! I do a lot of camping in my van, including a bit of stealth camping. If you need to be stealth, a Sprinter, an ambulance and a Step Van are all out. You want a very common looking soccer mom family "custom" van. Light colored, with windows that open and provide ventilation. Kept clean. No stickers, nothing distinctive. You need to keep your possessions to a minimum. Can you make do with one nice laptop? You need to be super organized, have a place for everything and ALWAYS put things back in their place. Just a few days and most people need a break from sleeping in the van. Full time van dwelling is harder than you expect. You can easily spend more than you save on rent by driving more and eating out more.

>> No.387291

>>386814

I like the materials list op, but this is fucking retarded. Are going to shit in a chair and bathe in a bucket?

By a fuckin motorhome and park it in the Walmart parking lot for the love of god.

>> No.387300

>>387284
bill gates has alot of money, alleviating him from stress concerning where he gets his future income, it's a similar feeling.

>> No.387304

>387275

>What property can I buy in 2013 for 10000?
Alright, I stretched that a bit. There are some bank owned properties that will accept down payments for that much but are few and far between (also Detroit).

> It's filling 21st century human living requirements, and saving all the rest.

How do you plan on saving your money? If you travel around the country it sounds you won't have a steady job ? How will you register your vehicle and apply for jobs without a steady home? Will eating out everyday, fuel, car maintenance (and your electronic maintenance for that matter), along with all the other expenses really amount to savings?

> have freedom from selling myself into part-time slavery..From that, any investments I do make are much more meaningful, because of choice - not cost.

I kind of wish you will go through with this and see how you would reflect on your plan in your fifties.

All the luck to you.

>> No.387305

>>387291
no, I shit in toilets and bathe with hot showers. Why would sleeping in a van prevent this?

>> No.387310

>>387304
I'm a developer, I can work from where ever I can get an internet connection. You don't need a house to apply for jobs, just a mailing address.

Food costs as much as it would if you owned a house. Fuel costs as much as it would if you owned a house. Car Maintenance costs as much as it would if you owned a house.

All without the bills of owning a house.

In 30 years I won't have any less money than if I owned a house. With the current real estate market, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that investment regardless.

>> No.387325

>>387290
My laptop uses as much power as both of the tablets combined. It's career related and easy to power. I don't own much else. I agree with most else except cargo van instead of soccer mom for masculinity reasons, especially the uninteresting van camouflage.

I don't see how I'd spend more eating 5 dollar footlongs and 5 dollar pizzas every day than I would on rent. I'd still need to buy food if I paid rent, I'm not a good cook.

>> No.387333

From experience in Europe, be prepare to get your solar panel stolen. Don't matter how secure they are.

>> No.387338

>>387333
That bad? What if weld?

>> No.387341
File: 73 KB, 800x600, 126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP you should seek the wisdoms of vandweller on /o/ for valuable insight. It may take a few days/weeks to reach him but his experience mirrors what you are suggesting minus the tech stuff. There are some things a van can and cannot provide but he will fill you in. Best of luck to you and happy travelling

>> No.387345

>>387325
Depending on where you park, a cargo van can look more suspicious. It can look (to a thief) like a tradesman's van full of expensive tools to steal. It has less ventilation. If I was going that route, I'd add a roof vent or two.
Nothing wrong with hotdogs and pizza, but eat a balanced diet. Get a propane stove and heat a can of vegetables once in a while. Make a sandwich. Drink some juice.
I can't over stress the importance of keeping your stuff organized. We use clear plastic containers for most of our gear.

>> No.387347

>>387305

Who/what will provide you with access to their showers and shitters 24/7?

Have you ever had food poisoning or flu like symptoms?

By something with rudimentary bathing and toilet facilities.

>> No.387350

>>387345
I didn't say anything about organization because I'm naturally meticulous like that. I am going to eat healthy, I was just giving an example of how eating out still isn't that expensive if you do it right. I have a propane burner I'm intending on using for a cheap homecooked meal every once in a while.

>> No.387354

>>387347
I go to the gym and shower after my workout. I don't know how many 24 hour gyms there are - wouldn't surprise me if there were a few locally.

For the toilet I'd just use the bathroom like I normally do when I'm driving and nature calls. If a toilet isn't near I'll pop out the foldout toilet shit into a double bagged trashbag and toss it like I would if I were walking my dog.

>> No.387360

>>387347
>Who/what will provide you with access to their showers and shitters 24/7?
I'm going to address this. We have done quite a bit of stealth camping. I've yet to need to get up in the middle of the night to shower. We usually park in front of 24 hour business and use their toilets. The toilet issue isn't bad if you choose a parking spot with it in mind.

>> No.387359

>>387338
the problem is that a van roof is not really solid, your panel can be fix really wellll it's not going to stop anyone to use an angle grinder to go around your bolt or the welding, or even use a car or a winch to just rip them off like it happen to me of some of my friends.

also try to get friendly with cab driver/ delivery man if anything happen you'll have hundreds of cabs driver going arround the city to help you, they also know about everything that happening or where are the good/bad safe place to park

>> No.387361

>>387345
I also forgot to mention I have a chl and a beretta m9 should I need to protect myself. I don't think I'll need it though.

>> No.387362

oh and also harbours have good facility power/water if you manage to get the keys off someone, with is normally isn't hard if you meet someone living on a boad

>> No.387366

>>387361
I doubt you want to park in any neighborhood where you are likely to need it. I'm more worried about being woken up in the middle of the night by the police that I am about facing criminals.

>> No.387368

>>387359
whats ironic is the batteries and equipment hidden under the bed are worth 3x as much as the panels.

>> No.387377

>>387366
one thug or the other amirite?

>> No.387378

>>387362
nice tip, I live in tampa and havent checked the harbour out at all.

>> No.387420

>>387159
You want to live in a van to save money, but you intend to pick up McDonalds? Nigga, you gay

>> No.387425

>>386814
You're a poorfag looking to save money and attain a secure and comfortable lifestyle?
Look up videos by a guy called ksabrs45.
Right now, China has a massive demand for and massive shortage of ESL teachers. The Chinese government is willing to pay decent money for ESL teachers. Learn Mandarin and teach English.

>> No.387439

solar panels, even in the best conditions won't be enough to charge that many batteries. you can charge them with the engine's alternator, but be sure to upgrade to a heavy duty 300A+ alternator and an idle control

>> No.387442 [DELETED] 

>>387377
No, not that at all. Almost all of my interactions with the police have been positive. I just want to be awaken in the night, checked out and then told to move on.

>> No.387443

>>387377
No, not that at all. Almost all of my interactions with the police have been positive. I just don't want to be awaken in the night, checked out and then told to move on.

>> No.387450

>>387439
they just need to pull 5 kw to replenish to full, an 800w array can do that.

>> No.387462

>>387310
>In 30 years
no plans for a wife and kids then? or to that matter, any social life.

>> No.387717

Faraday doesn't work unless entirely sealed. in the world wars they filled the joints of the field outpost walls with steel wool to complete the cage.

>> No.387731

>>387462
My girlfriend is actually who suggested I pursue the idea, I was willing to enlist in the military to provide a comfortable lifestyle for her but she wanted this instead.

Not planning on kids, my friends won't care.

>> No.387883

>>387731
Is it going to be you AND the GF in the van? I hope you are both on the skinny side!
Instead of the futon, consider building a flat raised platform. We did that in our old van. We put our mattress on the platform and used the space under as storage.

>> No.388665

>>387883
I'm about 6' 135 lbs, shes about 5'4" 100 lbs. Both skinny as rails.

>> No.388672

>>387717
talked to my friend about putting the 4g antenna extender in and he said I could possibly make it retractable to keep the Faraday cage effect yet still get signal when I need it. I don't know if an external antenna would really need to retract, my clear 4g apollo hotspot could be disconnected from the antenna and theoretically that would be the end of it, right?

>> No.388961

>>388672
Your Faraday cage is never going to be 100% effective anyway. In theory, having your disconnected coax hanging loose inside your van could provide a path to admit a little RF inside. On that end you have a connector (SMA?) which is not resonant, so it is unlikely that you will see any difference with it.

>> No.389002

>>388961
so basically I'd have to ground it when it's not in use or do you think it be so minuscule I shouldn't bother? I have doubts my electrical equipment will really be affected by a cme leaking through disconnected antennas.

>> No.389038

>>387341
just go to the archives

>> No.389047

>>389038
I checked out some earlier. He has alot of the same ideas, I'm doing it on a slightly larger scale as far as wattage goes. I'm also looking to use 4g instead of wifi, so basically you park where ever you get bars and has a good view.

>> No.389114

>>389002
>so minuscule I shouldn't bother
Absolutely.
What is the purpose of your Faraday cage anyhow? I took it that you desire to shield your equipment against stray RF interference.
If you envision somekinda SHTF scenario and are attempting to protect your equipment from the EMP from the nukes, we are doing this all backwards! Your van's electronic ignition will be dead and you will be immobile.

>>389047
>larger scale as far as wattage goes
Why? It is cheaper, simpler and more trouble free to cut your power needs to the minimum and go with a smaller system. We've not slept longer than 6 nights in a row in our van, and we don't run computers, so I see how your power needs exceed our's but I think you may be making this more complex than necessary.

>> No.389133

No one will see this, but here goes. As a 4x4 guy, the first components I think of when I think of a mobile, off-the-grid power source are a 250+ amp alternator
>http://www.motorcityreman.com/05esevan4.html
and an isolated dual/triple/etc 12v battery setup
>browse rv forums
couple that with a decent tripplite/ xantrex alternator and you've got bulletproof power.
>inb4 "ive gotta run the van to charge the batteries!
you need to run the van to get to shower/ food anyways

>> No.389149

>>389133
I think you are exactly correct. OP isn't talking 'bot any extended boondocking. This should be more than he needs.

>> No.389159

Put small automotive whirlybirds into the roof of your van. Vents at the base will allow full airflow throughout the van and cost nothing to run.

>> No.389696

>>389114
Well I'm honestly not very concerned about nukes, more about geomagnetic storms induced by solar flares. A nuke produces a higher emp and I plan on eventually getting away from areas likely to be attacked. Solar flares/CMEs are unavoidable, so my van will likely endure where the power grids do not. Since I am going offgrid it's my responsibility to implement a failsafe on my power system. Not many powergrids have proper infrastructure to insure their region doesn't experience blackouts if a large CME hits. I'm not a doomsday prepper, but it bothers me how easily modern living could come to a hault in such an event. There faraday cage is only one extra step I do before my wall panels, and very affordable - so I figure why not? At this point as long as I can get the 4g antenna to work I'm satisfied.

My needs are very basic.
>AC
350-550 watts, or 2 40 watt fans when the temperature is fair.
>Computers
65w laptop (only used for programming or design), 18w transformer prime, 12w nexus 7 (girlfriends). These will usually be charged at businesses or work. The tablets don't consume very much power and last for over 8 hours on battery, up to 16 hours with my transformer + keyboard dock.
>Refrigeration
48w thermo electric cooler, I like cold drinks, it's a 20th century luxury I can't give up.
>Lights
Sounds odd but I am actually using 2 white luxeon led from my custom built lightsabers, they're super bright and only consume 3.5w, they have semi transparent reflective wrap lining the tubing which amplifies that brightness. Plus seoul p4 leds are cheaper than most led lightbulbs if you can wire them yourself.

That's it. Maybe a heating pad instead of the fans for winter nights that aren't quite cold enough for the 500w ac. I plan on doing this for a while so I'm trying not to cut too many corners.

With an 800w solar array and 12 6v batteries rated for 115 mins @ 75 amps, It seems very feasible.

>> No.389722

>>389133
I'm not sure I understand, I'm still pretty new to electrical stuff, auto components are foreign to me - my brother usually assists me here, I fix his computers. Mind giving an explanation to a (semi)idiot?

>> No.389729

>>389114
>>389696
Also part of the benefits of having my network within a faraday cage is great signal strength within a contained area since no signal leaks. I will have immunity from any localized network attacks, and my wifi signal will never give me away.

>> No.389747

>>389159
I like it, I think I can actually use 2 of my larger cpu fans. I'm envisioning a tube with a fan on each side and a 6x2 inch cutout in the middle. Pretty simple, those computer fans use very little power compared to what I'll have available.

>> No.389873
File: 32 KB, 500x500, boatvent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You and I have very different philosophies and ideas of likely scenarios*, but I hope some of my input is (at least a little) helpful to you.
IDK, about whirleybirds, since you want to be stealth, but something like a couple of solar boat vents should help a lot. Pic related.
>>389133
Is all about upgrading the van's alternator and having a second (isolated) "house" battery. It would charge every time your van's engine was running. IF you were willing to do without A/C, heat and 'fridge, it would more than meet your needs.
* I think you are way off-track by thinking "I NEED A/C and cold drinks", while thinking you can live within the limited space in a van.
I also don't agree with the NEED to implement a failsafe on your power system while being willing to depend on others to provide showers and toilets.
I'm not trying to shoot holes in your plan, but to be blunt, it sounds more like a justification to have a elite tacticool mobile IT van than a reasonable way of avoiding rent.

>> No.389953

>>389729
Just your 4g signal, which is harder to spoof/obfuscate and easier to trace back to you.

>> No.389954
File: 35 KB, 238x195, 1359958416760.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ever hear of a place called radio shack?

>> No.389955

>>389873
Though at least he's not talking about carrying quadrotor drones with cameras and belt-fed .22's.

>> No.390010

>>389955
>implying OP isn't FPSRussia.

>> No.390139

>>389873
Thanks for the boat vent idea, those look perfect.

My 'needs' are based off of my experience being homeless in the past, a cold beer and air conditioning can be quite morale boosting. They're 2 modern day comforts I could give up, but for the longhaul I'd definitely want to have if I'm going to jump into this. I'm familiar with packing light and using the bare essentials, I just want a little more modern day comfort out of this experience.

>> No.390168

nice idea. lead-acid batteries make som wierd gasses i think. I dont know how your car works with locks and alarms, but if you want to able to lock door and turn on alarm from inside, you should find a way to connect a flip switch to a cable that enables locking and alarm on.

If ur paranoid, maybe buy a dome security camera to put on the roof, and put it low so its not the first thing one sees,

You could also buy an Arduino micro controler, which you can hook allot of sensor, like if the connection brakes, notify your computer=on your solar cells=if connection brakes alarm. and temp sensors. arduino u can manage power relays from your computer if your a good programmer do allot of cool stuff.

Dome camera can also be retractble with using a servo and arduino,

Proximity sensing when ur sleeping like http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/ProductID/83/Default.aspx
hooked up to your arduino, doesnt need computer to detect, only arduino, write some code that if> allot of movement=send notification to computer to capture camera, if ur good at programming / or maybe sound alaram without computer on.

If you need help with Arduino schematics and coding, i can help

>> No.390196

>>386814
>stealth van / capsule home
Be sure to paint "FREE CANDY" on the sides, black out all the windows, and park it down by the river, and practice muttering to yourself all the time, let your hair and beard grow out, etc.

>> No.390217

>>390168
ah, I'm relieved to see some security ideas! I have considered the camera idea up top to monitor my solar panels, it seems like an overkill though. When I was in foster care as a child they used these magnetic sensors on the windows to sound an alarm when they were opened so staff would be notified of potential runaways. I think if I put a magnetic sensor on each of the panels, and one directly beneath it on the roof of the van, they would work to alert me of any movement occuring with the panels - not only to catch theives but to tell if they're coming loose. I think it would still work off battery power aassuming the solar panels are disconnected. I was more interested in using a webcam mounted to the back of the van - attached to one of the tablets while it's in the car dock. That way I can bypass my rear view mirror with my tablet, although at night I could see this idea falling apart and becoming unnecessary.

Do I really need an arduino or raspberry pi for something like this?

Concerning the batteries, they are sealed, no leaky sulfuric acid, and they'll be in an enclosure. I'm also getting a battery powered carbon monoxide / smoke detector that will go in the center of the van. I'm a smoker so that means I'll have to switch to e-cigs so I don't trip the alarm.

>> No.390547

>>390217
>I'm a smoker
There is a good way to save quite a bit of money.
I keep saying "simplify your project", but the backup cam is a good idea.

>> No.390598

>>387123
Those battery banks have 480 volts of power surging through them. Your batteries would fry.

>> No.390605

>>390598
depending on where you live you could find standard outlets in some places too. cold places often have them for block heaters, also charging stations for older EVs or pedelecs have regular voltage.
Im not too familiar with electronics but there should be some way to transform those 480V into something useable no?

>> No.390612

>>390605
>depending on where you live you could find standard outlets in some places too.

Why not just find a transformer box and step down the voltage from 240 to 120 and then run the wires to your electronics? Oh wait, this is called stealing.

>but there should be some way to transform those 480V into something useable no

The reason why they use 480 volts at these charging stations is because it charges batteries quicker. If you wanted to use their electricity to charge your batteries you'd need a pretty hefty AC to DC convertor.

>charging stations for older EVs or pedelecs have regular voltage.

No such things as regular voltage. AC runs in the wires as 240 volts and then is stepped down in the local street transformers to 120 volts. Homes use both 240 and 120 for different purposes. If you want to charge your batteries with AC you need to get an AC to DC convertor.

>> No.390616

>lead acid batteries
>inside the van
>batteries vent corrosive hydrogen sulfides
>BOOOM

>> No.390617

>>390168
Definitely get a camera!

You don't know who's going to be outside your van if you happen to be in a bad neighborhood. If its a cop and you roll down the window with a gun in hand, the cop will freak out and may threaten to shoot you and take you to jail. If its a thief with a gun and you don't have your gun in hand, the thief will be able to steal whatever he wants.

definitely get a camera.

>> No.390618

>>390612
>calls even residential primary power 240v.
wut.jpg
it depends how they engineered it but I've seen 10-16kv regularly, aerial and buried. 20kv - 40kv is overhead in perfectly normal and accessible places

but your point of Regular voltage' stands

>> No.390619

>>390616
Yeah, lead acid batteries are probably going to be a safety hazard. If I were you I'd go with nickel iron batteries. They are long lasting batteries that will last decades even if you accidentally overcharge them all the time.

>> No.390624

>>390618
yeah you're right. i did a little more research on it and it seems as though there are two 120v lines that go into the home and where there needs to be 240v the two lines are combined. the wires hanging in the street are 10-40 kv depending on pop density.

>> No.390625

>>390612
derp obviously you'd need a converter/charger to use even standard outlets, but those are cheap, small and readily availiable.
and i would assume anyone who uses a battery bank has some means to charge those batteries from a household outlet.
thats why i mentioned places that offer those.

>> No.390630

>>390625
Yeah the means to charge a battery from 120V AC is relatively cheap, however getting a converter for 480V is going to be quite expensive.

>> No.390641

Not to shit on the thread, but I think this battery system won't be up to the task without multiple charging sources.
>3 banks: 24v @ 225Ah
>total output = 24v @ 675Ah
>40A max charge current

>675 / 40 = 16.875 hours from 0% to 100%

With that controller it would take 8 hours of max current to take those fuckers from 50% to 100%
That's assuming those panels will putout 40A (they won't) for those entire 8 hours and no load on the batteries.

Those panels are listed with a voltage of 36.3v @ 5.38A if I am reading the page right.
That means with the four panels in parallel the max output current is 21.56A and that is with direct sunlight. Which means you can only charge like 20% capacity a day in a well chosen parking spot and a clear sky.

A possible solution is to reconfigure the banks into 12v banks and run a "Battery Separator" (not isolator) from the vans charging system.
What the separator does is it waits till the cranking battery is fully charged then connects the battery banks to the alternator so they can charge as well but gives the crank battery priority.

>> No.390678
File: 114 KB, 1020x706, IMG_20130205_040650.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here again, see there have been multiple posts about my electrical system since I left the thread . Will have to read / reply tomorrow, drew this earlier as a sort of layout. Will have to work a few things out concerning the batteries.

>> No.390685

>>390641
OP sneaking one more comment in for the night.
I wanted to mention the batteries are rated individually for 115 minutes at 75a (450w), so at that power draw per battery, that's 12 x 115 = 1380 / 60 = 23 hours.

16 hours to charge them should work out assuming I'm not pulling more than 600w continously?

Isn't it the job of my inverter to manage power draw from the batteries? For charging the bank the mppt charge controller will charge them at 100% what my solar array pulls until they're around 90%.

>> No.390724
File: 73 KB, 1497x991, alarm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For the solar cell security

-can get all the stuff from radioshack
- youve prob though of this, but make a panel control box with flip switches and LEDs for: the solar cell thing, turning on and off car alarm from inside.

piezo buzzer u can get at radioshack maybe

>> No.390752

>>389747
The point with whirlybirds is they use the tiniest of breezes and need no electricity. Hell, they spin for hours off a single poke.

>> No.390755

>>390685
You should note that for a lot of regular vehicle batteries if they drop below 80% maximum charge they get damaged.

>> No.390843

>>390724
wow man thank you so much! I was thinking about putting some form of cage to secure them in place from wind & theft, while only covering the borders so I don't reduce their efficiency. It doesn't really hail where I live but I worry if I should cover them with additional glass... but that could hurt efficiency.

>> No.390933

>>390616
I've given this a second look, so as long as I ventilate the enclosure containing the batteries I think I should be fine. I'm going to seal the batteries off in a wooden enclosure, line that with antistatic wrap, and have a 2 large computer cooling units on each side cycling air out of the sides of the van, possibly with some chicken wire outside the fans. Should be a low cost fix concerning both money and electricity. For safety reasons, I think I'll add a steel plate over the top of the enclosure just in case.

I visited this link below, and people have had no problems with batteries in their bedroom.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/country-living-forums/alternative-energy/152237-keeping-batteries-bedroom.html

The batteries are sealed but I'll honor your advice and take precautionary measures.

>> No.390935

>>390933
also nickle batteries have a terrible discharge curve and I don't trust that they can handle cycling very well over prolonged usage.

>> No.390943

>>390617
You know what, I'll do it. I have a webcam sitting around that I never use, so I guess it won't be much additional work to implement this.

My problems:
>Positioning
>Weather Endurance
>Recording? Live Feed? To my laptop?

Right now I'm envisioning a swivel to pan it 360 degrees, but I have a usb cord hanging from the ceiling when my laptop is being used elsewhere. I'm open to suggestions.

>> No.391200

>>390685
>Isn't it the job of my inverter to manage power draw from the batteries?
An inverter converts DC to AC. Any devise which runs on DC doesn't go through the inverter. Run as much as you can on DC. You can even turn the inverter off when not using AC.
Do you already own this van? If so, I recommend camping out a bit, getting a feel for what it will be like.

>> No.391206

OP it's gonna suck to live in something you cannot stand up in. Take the time/money and save up for a sprinter or something to ghetto mod.

>> No.391210

>>386862
20 years?
So just completely giving up on that dream to ever touch a woman?

>> No.391385

>>391206
Yeah I'm looking at sprinters now, e350 was a good starting concept but I've spent the day checking out sprinters and like the additonal space.

51 inches of height vs 75+ of sprinters.

they're also wider, the 70 inch long futon I was panning to use with the e350 will fit the width of the sprinter, whereas on the 350 it would only fit the length.

I'm 6' and won't be able to sit in an e350 without arching my back/neck.

Know of a good place to buy them? Cheapest model I've found is 11k, any cheaper than that and I noticed they're usaully busted up or have 300k+ miles.

>> No.391388 [DELETED] 

>>391200
Everything I use runs on ac I believe. I'll still be drawing my power from the 1000w pure sine wave inverter listed in OP, no? I'm wondering if running on dc is mandatory if my bank is full and it's bright outside. I know it's smarter, but couldn't I just run it to the inverter?

I haven't made a purchase yet, still molding the ideas together. I've slept in my buddies van on our road trip for a few weeks. It was the heat of summer and I remember little apart my hair dripping with sweat and drinking warm cans of mountain dew. I couldn't consentually revisit the situation without fans/ac.

>> No.391408

Someone on my FB feed alerted me to this.

Sup?

>> No.391429

>>391408
Nice to meet you, I am OP.

feel like sharing any tips? I think I read in some archives you had a solar array?

>> No.391434

>>391429

Indeed. It's 200 watts and I built the panels myself for the experience and to save the money.

Panels are two years old and put out nearly as much power as they did when I first built them, although the enclosures are showing wear.

A few things off the top of my head...you already know that even on deep cycle batteries you can only get about half the amp hours they're rated at - at most, before the charge drops off, so you should plan accordingly.

This is why I would never try to run a heater off a battery but I had the pleasure of living in San Diego. I did have an AC but rarely used it unless I was plugged into shore power.

Get one of those Fantastic Vent Fans and you won't even need an AC, depending on where you are. Those things can move some air.

>> No.391436

>>391434

One more thing I wished I would have known.

If you have a choice, find a van that has what's known as an ambulance kit option. This basically allows you to install a second alternator that is used exclusively for onboard storage batteries. The voltage regulator off the standard alternator will damage deep cycle batteries, something I learned the hard way.

>> No.391442

>>391434

>>391434
I was intending to use the heat/ac similarly, except maybe off battery here and there if it's necessary. The ac I found is a climateright (formally called petcool) 3500 btu (350-550w) ac/heater.

The van I found today while searching already has a built in inverter which I'm assuming pulls from the alternater.
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2002_Freightliner_Sprinter+2500_170512286_4

I don't know much about alternaters apart from what others have mentioned here. Another discussion we were talking about was the electric car charging stations but I think the consensus was that they're too powerful.

just curious, do you write for stealthvandweller.com?

>> No.391446

>>391442

I do not.

The issue isn't the amount of constant power draw with the AC but the surge to fire up the compressor which is about 3x the wattage of it running.Pure Sine inveters aren't as friendly to wattage spikes as modified sine.

There are inverters that you can get that are all-in-one units; both chargers and inverters. I have one in my van rated for 1500 watts. When plugged into shore power, it charges the batteries and when off from it it will draw from the batteries. Also, while plugged in, it will allow power to "pass through"

I never finished my blog but there's some good info there I wrote up a while ago that helps.

vandwellersteve at blogspot dot com

>> No.391450
File: 2.31 MB, 3872x2592, Our_Sprinter-023.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>391446
I'll check it out, is that inverter listed there? I'm interested. I was advised to go with pure sine but if modified sine works better for this then I'll definitely go with it. They look more affordable. I? should be said that the ac I mentioned listed a 500w surge rating.

The fantastic vents look good but florida gets HOT and muggy, ai can be skeptical of anything short of AC sometimes. If I can find the roof dimens for these sprinter vans I'll need to verify that there is space for a larger roof vent. This image I found doesn't suggest that 4 panels will fit with it. Fortunately the cabs roof is fair game for the panels.

>> No.391451

>>391450
also I've had someone mention health concerns with lead acid deep cycle batteries, care to weigh in?

>> No.391452

>>391450
>>391451

There are some issues with modified sine, that while I never experienced personally, others have reported. The main issue is that sensitive electronic equipment might not work or it might have its life shortened. Sine inverters are about twice as expensive as modified sine, but you shouldn't need those unless you're running a heart monitor or an oscilloscope. The general consensus is that anything that has an inline converter (power tool chargers, Xbox power supply, etc) should be fine although I noticed that they ran hotter than they did simply plugged into a standard wall socket or shore power.

Fantastic Vents are 14 inches square. Nearly every cargo van has a space that large specifically designed for pass-through eqiupment where there won't be any structural members under the sheet metal of the roof.

The only real concern I've seen has to do with either the electrolyte leaking (the quality of lead acid batteries varies significantly as opposed to something like AGM enclosed batteries) and the hydrodgen that vents during charging (which is a fire/explosion hazard)

>> No.391454

>>391452
What did you use to cut your vent hole?

For the battery concerns, I think that was more or less what was mentioned. I'm putting them in an enclosure mentioned here >>390933 so if that's it I think it will be fine. I saw you mentioned earlier you killed some batteries so I was thinking explosions lol.

Also, assuming your batteries are charged, do you ever run anything directly off solar when they are? If so, I'm wondering how to go about this.

>> No.391460

>>391454

Just a jigsaw with a metal blade, nothing fancy.

That enclosure isn't too different from what I built, never had issues.

You never want to run anything directly off solar for the same reason you would never hook anything directly up to a car alternator. You need the battery there as a buffer.

A few solar controllers have something called a "load" circuit but that's only designed for running small things like fans and lights, and nothing that actually puts a strain.

>> No.391495

I hope that when you live this alternative lifestyle, you realize that you dont need electronics so much.

>> No.391592

>>391460
loving the blog man, I clicked a dozen or so links for you.

I've watched a few video reviews of different charge controllers and was hoping that's what that light was for. Small things were exactly what I wanted it for, like my battery ventilation fans and 2 3.5w leds. Do you know if I just wire them in and I'm good to go?

>> No.391596

>>391495
I'm a software developer and a tech enthusiast, you be hardset to catch this guy without a computer in my hands.

>> No.391813

>>391592

It took days to find out what that circuit was for and if I needed to hook something up to it or not. It just provides a place for extra power to go when the batteries aren't charging or using all of the charge. You'd have no problem running some 12 fans or LEDs off of them. Just never hook anything powerful or an inverter to that circuit and you'll be fine.

>> No.391822

>>387216
>>387219

Who the fuck cares? It isn't illegal to have solar panels on a vehicle, nor is it illegal to live in your vehicle. Even if someone DID call the cops they'd probably ignore the call.

>> No.391866
File: 58 KB, 800x600, interior_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here again posting some of my findings from today.

Now that I've decided on the sprinter instead of the e350 I've found numerous resources from people who have modded them.

I even found someone who has already made a blender setup of the van layout. The bed in this picture is queen sized however, I'm going with a full sized bed so it will fit lengthwise to the width of the sprinter - so there will be more space than this.

I've also gotten the wonderful idea of putting it on a track and have it raise and lock to the ceiling when it is not in use.

I like the sprinters height, but I'm going with the 64" normal roof, this is because the sprinters roof tapers out if I get a model with a heigher roof. So basically I won't be able to fit as many solar panels or would have to sacrifice the fantastic vent. 51" of e350 to 64" of sprinter is the foot I'd need to sit upright with headroom. Standing isn't necessary.

I like the screen idea on the side of the compartments where I'd put the baskets, I could easily make a tablet mount to lay down and watch some episodes of workaholics, although I'd probably need to get some speakers for it. Shouldn't need much since I have a portable headphone amplifier for my audiophile headphones already.

With some nice bamboo tiling and a rug it could look very nice.

I don't know if sprinters need to be modded to have the front seats turn around, but it would be perfect for the front desk while I use my laptop to get work done.

>> No.391877
File: 6 KB, 250x250, f22b81a5-a97c-4a2a-bdda-46867a45e66d.jpg.250x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>391866
still haven't posted the bed here yet. here it is, pretty light. It is 2 sections with a metal frame behind each section. Pretty much every walmart has them on display.

Right now I'm looking more into my power arrangements again. I have a 3 24v battery banks planned out in OP but only went with 24v because of how I've seen other systems laid out. 16200Wh no matter how I lay my batteries out, I'm considering going 12v but I'll need to re-evaluate my charge controller, cable size, and inverter first. Switching from pure sine to modified sine since it's cheaper and vandweller recommended it.

I don't know what fuse to use on the positive line into my inverter. Anyone care to explain how to determine which fuses I'll need?

>> No.391899

>>391877

Where in the world are you?

>> No.391925

>>391899
Tampa.
It's super nice sleeping weather lately, I give it a month or two and it will be really hot and humid again. Wouldn't mind traveling with the seasons.

>> No.392135

>>391925

Go with a 12 volt system. Finding 24 volt appliances stateside is a nightmare.

>> No.393582

>>392135
will do, do you mind sharing an email address if I ever come across any situations where I need your advice? I promise not to spam your inbox, you just seem like a knowledgeable contact to have. If you don't want to share your info publicly my skype is forty-lashes.

>> No.393826

OP maybe you should live in a converted school bus instead.

>> No.393846

>>386895
Maybe he could use a chemical desiccant to keep everthing dry

>> No.393929

I see a few issues with your plans

Faraday cage seems unfeasible, and not likely to work well. You could make a small one and lock your portable equipment in it.

A/C units have a starting surge that far exceed their normal listed wattage. I have seen converted vans similar to what you want, they only used the air conditioner when they were plugged into ac power.

Florida is not the friendliest place to van dwell. the cops can hassle you if you don't have a good place to park. If they didn't, 4 million Northerners would migrate down every winter and live on the side of the road. (See "Tin Can Campers")

>> No.393976

I skimmed through the tread, cool idea OP.. but if you think you're gonna be able to spend 20 years living in a van trouble free, LOL.

>> No.394097

>>393826
I wouldn't mind the extra space, but it's just so long that I wouldn't be able to drive something that large. My stepdad actually did something similar, he had a full out bus conversion on a van that belonged to a racing crew.

And now I'm wondering why I just realized this and haven't asked him any questions yet.

>>393929
I've recently decided to just have my battery bank in a faraday cage, with an additonal section the the enclosure to house my charge controller, inverter, battery tender, and battery desulfator. That way if I have a fuse on the line in from the solar panels, no overloads will occur, and for the line out I can place an outlet with a built in breaker - and connect a surge strip to it. With this setup my vans body can act as a semi-faraday cage (vehicles can take lightening strikes), and have my important electrical equipment housed in a smaller faraday cage.

I'm aware of the surge, vandweller recommended a pretty good inverter that can handle the surge. I'm starting to look away from the ac for now, that will be done in the last stages of the van. Right now my big concern is getting as much PV as I can fit on the roof without exceeding the dimensions.

>>393976
I don't expect to live anywhere for 20 years without problems. Problems will occur no matter where I go. What's important to me is that I have a roof over my head at night and get some comforting sleep so I can work, save money, and spend it doing things I enjoy.

Even in a house bad things could still happen - natural disaster, appliance failure, debt. Some of these things I won't have problems with in a van. Hurricane coming? I can pull up to the 3rd floor of a parking garage and even a catagory 5 hurricane will have less than 20mph winds inside a parking garage. I like having the option of getting away from a bad area. Debt? With the van costing 11k and modifications running 4k, I'd only need to work a year to get a return my investment since most of that can go into savings.

>> No.394373 [DELETED] 
File: 97 KB, 1000x1000, LRPLW2712.PNG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey for you guys who recommended the cameras, I found this for my 2 android tablets.

http://www.jr.com/lorex-corp/pe/LRP_LW2712/
>Record video and audio / Remote viewing / Motion-triggered recording / Indoor & outdoor monitoring / 2-way talk / Easy setup / Accepts up to 4 cameras
Getting security through feeling secure at all times is what this Wireless Video Monitoring System from Lorex Technology is all about. This system can be monitored locally through included monitor or remotely with your iPhone or iPad. Use Skype as a Communication tool to interact with one camera remotely. After all, security is calming.

Has sd card support which is a huge plus for me because I've completely moved over to sd cards lately since I've been doing android development. I have a 64gb micro sd fixing to be dated this year so it would be the ideal candidate for surveillance storage. They both use under 12v dc so they could definitely run. I have have 8 months of unlimited skype credit for calls with my 4g hotspot so I could monitor my panels from pretty much anywhere. How's that for a security system? I wouldn't even need an alarm since I could track my shit where ever it went.

>> No.394374
File: 97 KB, 1000x1000, LRPLW2712.PNG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey for you guys who recommended the cameras, I found this for my 2 android tablets.

http://www.jr.com/lorex-corp/pe/LRP_LW2712/
>Record video and audio / Remote viewing / Motion-triggered recording / Indoor & outdoor monitoring / 2-way talk / Easy setup / Accepts up to 4 cameras
>Getting security through feeling secure at all times is what this Wireless Video Monitoring System from Lorex Technology is all about. This system can be monitored locally through included monitor or remotely with your iPhone or iPad. Use Skype as a Communication tool to interact with one camera remotely. After all, security is calming.

Has sd card support which is a huge plus for me because I've completely moved over to sd cards lately since I've been doing android development. I have a 64gb micro sd fixing to be dated this year so it would be the ideal candidate for surveillance storage. They both use under 12v dc so they could definitely run. I have have 8 months of unlimited skype credit for calls with my 4g hotspot so I could monitor my panels from pretty much anywhere. How's that for a security system? I wouldn't even need an alarm since I could track my shit where ever it went.

>> No.394387 [DELETED] 

Also if anyone wouldn't mind answering a simple solar question, here it is:

http://www.grapesolar.com/index.php/products/modulesandkits/gs-s-100-ts/
These panels have a maximum system wattage of 600, I am looking to use 8 of them for a total of 800 watts. Does the maximum system wattage mean that when wired in parallel it cannot exceed 600w? So if I wired 2 groups of 4 panels together would be 400w x 2, it's okay since neither exceed 600w?

>> No.394483

Why not just a blow up mattress that you can blow up and deflate every night?

>> No.394492

>>394483
enjoy 0 comfy

>> No.394521

>>386967

Whoah whoah, Janitor Training? I though it was just 'push the mop'...
Tell me more!

>> No.394922

Just remember friend that all lead-acid batteries will gas some hydrogen when being charged so make sure that you build some type of vent system for them.

>> No.394930

This would be a lot cheaper and easier with a school bus, OP. And it'd be less sketchy for you continue to keep your kitty. You could even convert the school bus to run on vegetable oil. Pick up some hippie red neck chicks and make luff. Plus this is apparently a trend so you'd get less weird stares when you mention you live in a school bus than a van.

>> No.394984
File: 53 KB, 640x427, quad cag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

have you bought your econoline, bud? If not, buy this instead! It's out of my own reach unfortunately but would feel better knowing it went to a /diy/er
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1974_Mercedes-Benz_408+Quad+Cag_175165542

>> No.395024
File: 130 KB, 1056x302, batterybank.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>394483
I'm going to put the bed on a sliding track so it raises out of the way when it's not in use. I'm also going to make the back panels of the bed split into 2 halfs so I can turn it into a seat. Since the battery bank is going to be 50" x 18" x 18" along the back door area, it will basically create a nice corner sofa with the bed if I get some extra cushions to put on top of my bank enclosure.

>>394984
Oh man it looks so roomy! Only problem is that it's a little too pricey for me. I wouldn't mind a hippie wagon, although it's probably safer to have a cargo van concerning the police. I'll take note of this vehicle anyway in case I change my mind again, sprinter is working for now.

>>394922
noted and I've designed this system, plus an additional one for my charge controller, battery tender, battery desulfator, and inverter.

>>394930
the cat idea was a joke, there's no way it's a good idea to carry a cat through a situation like that. I'd end up wasting power having to climate control the van when no ones in it because the cat would die.

Plus they make noise when they're alone, the one I'd end up bringing is a LOUD bombay that gets louder when I'm not around (she's clingy). Last thing I'd need is for the cat to meow while I'm inside walmart, then be portrayed on the 5 o clock news as an animal abuser who locked my cat in the car with the windows up.

I've looked into biodiesel conversions, and they will work on pretty much any diesel van / bus / truck.

>> No.395027

I.T.T. OP voluntarily gets v&ed. Nice setup, all the best.

>> No.395032 [DELETED] 
File: 1.76 MB, 1176x3807, sprinterwip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395027
thanks, here's my blueprint so far, I've changed a lot since OP was created. Still a wip so this isn't finished yet. Will be adding the bed / compartment info soon.

If anyone knows a way I can put some kind of lock on the roof tracks so my panels don't get stolen, please share your ideas.

>> No.395041

>>395032
also I fixed that bottom left panel that wasn't connected to positive in the diagram

>> No.395142

>>395032
>lock on the roof tracks
Just a good tamper-proof fastener in the rails, on the panels, anywhere something comes apart? Fill the rails with security-bolted spacers, etc.

>> No.395273
File: 14 KB, 781x318, slider lock.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395142
I had thought of tamper-proof fasteners, but the security-bolts pulled up some better results for them, thanks!

This is what I've thought of just now to fix the 3 rows of panels to the 2 horizontal tracks. the curved exposed part of the lock will be facing inward, underneath a panel, so it will be unlikely to be cut.

4 locks, 4 keys, and they'll be in the safe with my gun.

>> No.395303

OP, you don't plan on mounting the panels flat do you? They work like that a little, but 10 times better if they face the sun.

>> No.395341

>>395303
I'm more concerned about dust buildup when they're flat. I think flat is as good as it gets, they'd attract too much attention at an angle, be more subject to air flow, and will have a few more watts at best since the van will be moving periodically. They'll still be facing the sun when its higher in the sky.

>> No.396187
File: 2.42 MB, 1176x4806, sprinterwip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Updated my image a bit, had the panels in series for some odd reason. I just need to put some outlets and switches on here and I guess there's not much else. Maybe the insulation / sound barrier stuff I found. I'll leave paint and flooring out of this.

It's coming out a little more expensive than I imagined, but there are quite a few bells and whistles that can wait.

>> No.396405
File: 1002 KB, 1094x585, Screen-Shot-2013-01-29-at-3.05.46-PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All done. What do you guys think?

>> No.396435

>>396405
Nice van.
I bet the cops never harass you

>> No.396536

Hey op what is the point of stealth van?

also, why dont you include a bathroom in there since you're going a little psycho you might as well go full psycho

>> No.396628

>>396536
For the record this post isn't mine >>396405

The stealth van is simply a cheap comfortable place to sleep at night. It blends in with other vehicles by resembling a plain cargo van used by utility / maintenance works, so it has elements of urban camouflage and plenty of room inside.

I'm interested in the idea because I'm 22, and almost none of the jobs I'll work in the next 5 years will provide enough income to live in a decent apartment, pay the rest of my bills, and still have time to enjoy it. A part time job can't pay the bills in this day and age unless you live frugally. So that's what I'm doing, cutting down my expenses to what is necessary.

I don't include a bathroom because it's not necessary, there are bathrooms all over the place - I don't need my own. I did mention a fold out camping toilet for utter emergencies, but it is unlikely to be used much since I can just pull in somewhere and use their bathroom.

>> No.396648

>>396628
some /b/tards just use ziplock bags for solid waste disposal. convenient one hand operation, wipe with the other hand, then zip and dispose.

>> No.396656

>>396628
that sounds neat even if you do have another home its like your movile station.
you can visit another town without paying hotel

>> No.396677
File: 40 KB, 392x270, Classic VW Camper Van.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396656

>> No.396772

>>396656
yeah, I like that it doesn't root you down to one area either, since these vans get a good 20mpg it's actually feasible to apply to jobs 2 hours away since you can just find a place to park in that area.
The option of just dropping everything and leaving exists.

>> No.396779 [DELETED] 

you can use a 5 gallon bucket with good lid :) for bathroom purposes. the size makes it easy to sit on.

>> No.396798 [DELETED] 

I lived in a sedan car for over 5 years maintaining a full time job. I eventually went crazy and now get social security for it and dont have to work. I wish you luck on your endeavor though.

Keep in mind, one time they locked me up for "digging in someones yard". I lost my car (and 3 months). I wasn't digging for anything, I was walking back to my car from the library around the corner.

>> No.397287

>>396772
ARe you planning on incluidng any special security measures?

>> No.397315
File: 1.36 MB, 3264x1840, IMAG0061_BURST002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have you made any calculations on the power needed from your solar cells?

The amount of energy that you need to store?

Most of your appliances (all), a regular (pwm) sine inverter would be sufficient as all have switch mode power supplies. this type of inverter is also more efficient.

Why use such high capacity batteries, rather connect several in series, with lower capacity, this way you reduce losses and wire gauge

conduction losses is P_loss = Ohm * Current^2
Where Power is P_con= Volt * Current
Energy stored in batteries is also E_stor = V * Ah

Notice the ^2 this is something that makes losses rise fast..

Find a DC/AC converter that supports 100 - 155V, this way you have higher efficiency, and lower currents in your inverter.

Your solar cells should also be connected to an individual boost / flyback converter with PPT for optimum efficiency.

As for heating, I would recommend a heat pump, or some solar heater panel, perhaps build together with your solar panels.

- this could be done by a thin sheet of glass above your solar cell, and thermally insulating the a box around it, then making cold air enter one side and sucking warm air from another side, this air goes the wan then...

as for vehicle I would recommend a Mercedes Sprinter.

Pic is frome one of my road trips.
Chairs and table can be moved, and bead unfolded to make room for 4ppl..

>> No.397413

>>397287
yeap >>396187
-locks on 4 ends of the tracks, the holding element facing inward, 4 different keys stored within a safe bolted to the floor inside the van.
-tamper-proof fasteners
-security camera that doubles as a backup camera, stores data to an offline sd card, streams to skype so I can check from my phone or tablet so as long as I leave an internet connection for the receiver.
-sprinter has car alarm (someone posted this in another image)
-alarm for solar panel disconnect (not for just theft)
-concealed handgun liscense with a beretta m9.

>> No.397427

>>397315
You may want to see my image here >>396187
Solar Panels = 800w, there will be some loss from laying flat, but it will be in parking lots or on the roads, so I expect a good amount of that to still make it.
I'm looking for 4kwh a day, my charge controller is bigger than I need and it's mppt so I shouldn't lose anything.

My battery bank stores 10800watts (12v x 225Ah x 4)
I don't look to use power all day so that should provide power for 2 days without any recharging.
I have 2 6v batteries in series, and 4 in parallel (12v). I went with 12v because most of my dc load is 12v. So it will minimize inverter loss.

I'm going to set up an alternator to charge the batteries as well.

My inverter can charge the batteries from wall outlets, I've considered renting a cheap storage unit to charge my batteries and store a small refrigerator (maybe a couch to hang out there while they charge. I haven't decided on this yet, it's a wait and see how it goes first type deal.

Right now for serious air conditioning / heating I'm looking for a dc system built for semi trucks. I found this one.
http://www.dcairco.com/index.php/products/trucks/dc-8500
Only problem is I can't find their price.
Your heating system seems like I decent idea though.

Converters I haven't looked at, although I am looking at some ultracapaciters to minimize the power draw on my batteries by pulling from the capacitors which charge from the batteries.
This thread describes the idea. I need to research more on how to wire these safely so they don't go boom.
http://www.altestore.com/forums/Renewable-Energy/Technical-Discussion-Other/Using-Ultra-Capacitors-To-Extend-Battery/index.php/topic,2402.0.html

I have decided on a sprinter as well. Sprinter 2500 with 144" wheelbase.

>> No.397439

The idea is very interesting and can be done in a /fa/ way if done correctly. Is the van you're going to be using diesel? If so, you can save yourself some money by converting it to veggie oil. I'd spend lots of money on all this if I were you since you plan on living in it for 5 years. Mine as well make it fancy as fuck.

>> No.397440

>>387220
i came to the same conclusion after browsing ebay. the real advantages are the insulation and wiring. cabinets like you said are also a nice bonus. it's cheaper than the entry level RVs.

>> No.397454

>>397439
in a /fa/ way? I've got the interior design covered, went to ikea last week for some ideas, I think I can get a nice minimal 21st century environment going. I'm staying away from wood patterns because I want it to look modern 15-20 years down the road, and I think wood looks too classical.

As for biodiesel, ever since I thought of this 7 or 8 years ago I've wanted to do this. I know the process, but it is going to be low priority and one of those things I'd do after I'm finished and want something to occupy myself with for a weekend.
The ultracapacitors are the same way, it's just too expensive and more work to do initially. I think it's better to get everything else working, work for a bit to make sure everything is paid off and I have the resources to make it happen.

>> No.397456

>>397440
do those things have ultracaps or pure sine inverters for defibrillators?

>> No.397460

>>397413
Have you considered including more extravagant security measures.
Like a remote fake sound emmiter,hidden sleeping gas chamber, or maybe remotely operated arms to bash the thieves from a distance?

oh my god i just imagined it it so cool

picture this:

you are in a club minding you business when suddenly your cellphone rings

VAN IS UNDER ATTACK

so you get to a place where you can work quietly
fire up the remote systems, unlock the door and wait for th burglar to get in

once inside close it
fill it with sleeping gas and if that doesnt work a robotic arm with an iron ball on the end starts beating him and you control it like a game
wow cool

>> No.397462

>>397460
7/10 you had me going man.

>> No.397467

>>397462
hey it was not a troll atempt i've just let my imagination fly of course it's silly to consider to do that but wouldnt it be rad??

>> No.397518

>>397467
I think lead rounds are the best enforcement I could have.

>> No.397520

>>397413
I'm just thinking about how awesome this setup would be with google glasses when they come out.
I could have a skype webcam running constantly in my the corner of my glasses to literally see two places at once. Some pretty badass augmentational use could come later on with these wireless cameras.

>> No.397521 [DELETED] 

>>397520
cyberpunk as fuck

>> No.397534
File: 46 KB, 284x405, 1063962.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>397520
>I'm just thinking about how awesome this setup would be with google glasses when they come out.

pic related

>> No.397577

You could just move to the midwest OP. I live in a small city of around 60,000 people and you can get a 2 bedroom for 20k or a 2 bedroom trailer for 5k

>> No.397580

>>397577
I used to live in north texas and the houses were cheap, I just got bored out of my mind there.

>> No.397631

>>397580
get a job you fucking loser. Lol. an apartment is like 500-600 a month? maybe 150-200 for utilities food 50-100. Thats less than 1000 a month when rounding up. Even if you can only get a job making 12 an hour thats still plenty. DO LANDSCAPING ANY FUCKING IDIOT CAN DO THAT, time to grow up dipshit. lol

>> No.397635

>>397631
While I don't disagree with your sentiment, your going to be in a world of pain when you grow up and learn what it actually costs to live a somewhat comfortable life.

>> No.397649

>>397631
I have 2 jobs. I don't want to rent things for $600 a month that are free or that I won't use. I don't need a kitchen, bathroom, living room, swimming pool, or garage.
I can go to a gym for showers, equipment, and a pool for $20 a month.
I can buy food and prepare it pretty much anywhere.
I can pull over anywhere in the city and find a bathroom.
And I can park a plain white cargo van almost anywhere without so much as a look.

The bills with an apartment include water, more electricity, insurance, more furniture, for what? A bigger box with more rooms in it? This is all on top of the cost of a vehicle and it's insurance and gas.

Why work more? Is it not understandable someone would want to work less and do other things they enjoy?

I just need a place to sleep at night and work on software, the rest of my income I can save or invest. It's always puzzled me people in new york city pay so much for apartments they don't use when they're out exploring such a living city. I'd only see myself coming back at night to sleep.

>> No.397693

>>397521
Yes altough OP in real life would probably be that creepy stranger that you DO NOT want to speak with, and 2x for girls.
in our imaginations you will live our dreams close to a sci fi novel.

this is not sarcastic, it's a huge achievement, congrats

>> No.397702

>>397649

I think you'll get very frustrated by living from a van. Short term is fine but eventually you'll understand why people own houses

>> No.397763
File: 5 KB, 185x200, CoolFreeze-CF-35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

found this 12v dc, 45w refrigerator, fits 41 cans.
http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/Portable-Refrigerators/products/?productdataid=81809

>>397702
I don't think so. I understand why people own houses, and I also understand why I've chosen this instead. I'll count my money if I get frustrated, that will calm me down.

>> No.397783

>>397763
seriously thinking you know is different from knowing.
Have you lived years of your life without a fixed home???
I don't think so listen to the guys with experience

>> No.397795
File: 32 KB, 400x378, drink+water[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why the fuck has no one mentioned drinking water yet?

OP, a human body requires minimum 2L per day, not including water for washing hands. Even if you plan to stay by a 24 hour toilet, the water in them can be cleaned septic water or bore water (thus undrinkable). This means you have to buy bottled water, or find fresh water taps every few days to refill a jerry can.

realistically, the cost of petrol, buying food (you cant eat 5$ food for the rest of your life, lol no nutrition), car insurance including insurance for all the shit inside, bottled water is not going to be cheap enough to outweigh the lack of comfort from living in a fucking van.

>> No.397798

>>397795
Listen to this guy op
we know you are a stupid teenager with no idea of how real life is like that wants to "beat" the "system". And part of our motivation is making fun of how stupid you are.

But you should listen to us before you end up alone crying inside of that shitty death trap that's going to cost you all of the little money you have.
All because you didn't want to man up and live a normal life

>> No.397814
File: 57 KB, 500x598, 1356719870070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>397798
Live how you want, "normal" life is for people who have no imagination and think if everyone else is doing it then it must be the only way to live. Man up and do what you want. If you enjoy sheltered camping van life is the way to go, if you are a spoiled conformist yuppie wannabe you should hide from the world at the safety of you home.

>> No.397815

>>397814
haha
1)answering man up to someone who told you the same think. Insecurities much?
2) "the world" is made by "conformist yuppies"
like us, who do you think pays for all of your expensive gadgets if the goverment didnt take the money away from hard working people towards creating shitty jobs for you useless guys we wouldnt share our wealth with useless like you

>> No.397823 [DELETED] 

>>397783
yes I have actually. I was in foster care as atalented /diy/erand ran away a lot. I'm no stranger to homelessness. I've lived in houses, hostels, tents, squathouses (with and without electricity), cars, trucks, vans, rvs, travel trailers, sheds, alleys, trees, drainage pipes, boxes, you name it, I've slept there for at least 2 weeks.

So pardon me if I don't heed your expert opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, just please quit acting like you know what is best for anyone other than yourself. I'm here to talk about electricity and other cool diy shit, not whether or not I should go with this.

>>397798
See above. Why are you such a jerk?

>>397814
thank you. I will. I'm not doing this to be different however, plenty of people have done this before I have. I'm doing it because I don't need much to get by in life :)

>>397815
I pay for the things I own. You don't employ me, I employ myself by developing software and providing security solutions. Lose your sense of entitlement.

>> No.397824

>>397783
yes I have actually. I was in foster care when I was a teenager and ran away a lot. I'm no stranger to homelessness. I've lived in houses, hostels, tents, squathouses (with and without electricity), cars, trucks, vans, rvs, travel trailers, sheds, alleys, trees, drainage pipes, boxes, you name it, I've slept there for at least 2 weeks.

So pardon me if I don't heed your expert opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, just please quit acting like you know what is best for anyone other than yourself. I'm here to talk about electricity and other cool diy shit, not whether or not I should go with this.

>>397798
See above. Why are you such a jerk?

>>397814
thank you. I will. I'm not doing this to be different however, plenty of people have done this before I have. I'm doing it because I don't need much to get by in life :)

>>397815
I pay for the things I own. You don't employ me, I employ myself by developing software and providing security solutions. Lose your sense of entitlement.

>> No.397829

>>397795
I have mentioned Jerricans previously I believe, I have 2 of them filled with 10 gallons of water, and I just posted a 45w fridge I can use to cool water.

I don't live in Somalia. You can pull into any gas station or fast food restaurant and ask for a free cup of ice cold water you can pour into a bottle to carry.

I've worked in a vitamin/organic food store, you can easily live $5 in food costs a day with a multivitamin every morning. It's not like I'm spending any more on food (or anything else really) by sleeping in a van.

>> No.397830

>>397829
also I need water for my battery banks anyway.

>> No.397831

>>397815
I'm not the anon you are talking to.

I'm a farmer. This is the best damn way of life ever. Everyone that said, "farming is hard work", is a complete fucking moron that has no clue what they are talking about or were using terrible methods that actually create more work to do.

Shit, I work like maybe 60 hours out of an entire year. That's like 2 hours for 30 days of work. The rest of the time I do hobbies, 4chan, etc while the vegetables grow. I can my food and also sell it for profit.

Here's the thing though.

Since I hardly ever do any real work, yet have enough money to do what I want to do, everyone and their brother calls me a loser. Why? I mean I pay my bills, put food on the table, and do pretty good for myself. Well, I'll tell you why. I don't live up to the nose-to-the-grind-wheel mentality every single person I know has. They all want to work themselves into the ground with 12 hour work days just so they can bitch about how much they work. when they meet me and learn about my life style they usually become all "I'm better than you because I actually work hard".

Yet, they don't take vacations, because they can't afford to. They all have medical bills and chiropractor appointments. They all feel stressed out all the time. They all can't wait for retirement. They all are still paying for their latest car and latest large flatscreen TV. The list rolls on.

So, I ignore them and keep to myself on property I own with vehicles I own, which the bank does not own either of, and basically have a good time with my life doing whatever I want when ever I want.

>> No.397842

>>397831
what are you doing to make farming so easy? sounds like what I want to do with my life but everything revolves around day jobs. i have far too many hobbies and books to read than working in an office everyday will allow

>> No.397847 [DELETED] 

>>397842
he probably went to school for it, the guy over in the agriculture department at my college always have the best bud and they all seem to be potheads but some of them are making decent money off commercial farming.

>> No.397848
File: 103 KB, 500x750, bob balaban.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck the dream killers ITT. I have 100% faith that OP will come through with his plans and enjoy his van life until he has enough income to afford rent.

>> No.397855

>>397831
Oh yes you must be a millonaire.
>>397842
Then just quit and go do what you want! dont worry about the consequences of not having a steady income

>> No.397862

Just found this
http://thermoil.com/

They put this crap in the lead acid batteries and started welding on top of them without the battery exploding acid all over the place.

Says it reduces water consumption as well. Add the ventilation to this and now all I have to concern myself with are the ultracaps.

Also does diy have any ideas on a homemade combiner box? It just looks like a bunch of diodes in a box priced for $60-100.

>> No.398339

>>386814
may i suggest an hybrid electric motor for the truck

>> No.398393

Van: windowless work type. Check
Electrical system: solar, batteries, wiring. Check
Appliances: 12v fridge/freezer, 12v microwave, Mr. Heat Propane(truly most cost efficient heating), single burner stove. Check
Bet/Furniture: Wall mounted, split bed. shelves with elastic, etc. Check
Alternative transport: bike, bus pass, check.
Alternative power: External Plugin(normal, electric car, etc) Check
Laundry: Laundromat, bucket with special plunger, clothes line(doubles as awning with tarp). Check
Shower: Gym membership, shower bags. Check
Water: Solid jugs, uv wand, coffee filters, pump. Check
Toilet: (emergencies) bucket with lid, kitty litter. Check
Florida: AC(van) (Trucker ac's EXPENSIVE!) Fan with air flow allowing moisture barrier, dc powered dehumidifier(cheap/work if right brand)
Portable AC's (look for power brick models, one or two caaan be adapted for 12v use). Check
Insulation and flooring: Linoleum, foam in walls/floor. Check
Living the dream, living on only dollars a day, Beyond Priceless.

>> No.398455

>>398339
my buddies been trying to talk me into it but I just don't have the money to plan that far ahead yet.

so far I'm putting off an ac since I found a 12v 30a semi truck unit for 1000, seat swivels, and biodiesel conversion. I'll look at this plus vehicle work when I've paid the rest off.

Ideally I'd like to set up a hybrid battery bank with ultracaps from the getgo, so later on I could look at car charging stations for my batteries. Once that step is done I could possibly set the vehicle to run off electricity, but I don't think lead acid is ideal for this. It may have to wait until I can afford nickel iron or lfp batteries.

>>398393
no microwave, racetrac and 7-11 have those, plus microwaveable food.
I may get a propane burner to boil impurities out of water for my battery banks, but gas running in a confined space isn't appealing to me. Someone posted using my panels heat to warm the van, I like that idea.

Everything else you said is pretty accurate though.
My bills are:
>4g unlimited wifi (2 hotspots, 1 to stay in van for online cameras) -$60
>skype unlimited calling - $5
>gym membership - $20
>laundromat - $15

So 100 a month, plus whatever I pay for food and insurance. Add $70 a month if I get a storage unit for a freezer and battery hookups.

I make about $900 a month working part time, so at least 500 of that goes into savings. So 5 years at that rate is about 32k saved with interest. From there my options are open, I could reinvest that into a 15kw ni-fe battery setup and survive for the rest of my life without putting another cent into the van, or I could get a plot of land and move my system over to a 30x15 shed with a loft.

>> No.398456
File: 112 KB, 800x600, conversion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>398455

Nickel Iron would be worse as it has a lower energy density than lead acid. Lead acid is used all the time in DIY conversions. Pic related.

>> No.398462

>>398456
it's heavier, but I'm only at 500lbs right now and the sprinter can tow alot more than that. My bigger problems with lead acid is their lifespan, hydrogen fumes, and maintenance. I've ventilated the system and found some thermoil to greatly reduce fumes / watering requirements, but when it comes to overcharging I'm kind of screwed.
Nickel Iron has no drawbacks apart from weight, and for that reason they are more expensive. Ideally I'd like to forget my power system even exists, with lead acid I can't.

>> No.398463

>>398462

You solve the maintenance and fumes problem if you go AGM. Absorbant Glass Mat is a sealed, no maintenance lead acid battery that doesn't emit fumes or require watering. RV batteries are typically like this.

>> No.398464

>>398462
actually scratch that, you're right, I lose 30% charge in nickel iron off of just heat.
lfp then?

>> No.398466

>>398463
I thought agm can't compete when it comes to deep cycle? I've heard they have 400-500 cycles on average.

>> No.398468

>>398466

The type RVs use are called deep cycle marine gel. They're sealed like AGM and don't need watering, or emit fumes. They are however huge (1.5ftx1.5ftx1ft approx) and expensive, around $100 per battery and you'll need 12 of them to propel the van at a useful speed. That won't leave room for much of anything else unless you're very creative with interior space or weld an undercarriage that can hold the batteries.

>> No.398477

>>393582

Sorry, just got back to this thread. It's not really a secret.

eurobeatjester at gmail

>> No.398480

>>397795

This is not a problem. I had a six gallon jug in my van that was removable for fresh/drinking water. all you do is pull it out and refill it at the supermarket.

>> No.398484

>>398462
tow weight =/= max load weight.

If you want that many batteries you're going to blow your tires out ever 2 miles.

Electrical Engineer here, we used a 180 Ah 12V AGM battery for a project and that thing weighted over 80 kilo's.

Also: If you want any feasible lifespan out of your batteries, you need to prevent it from discharging lower than 20 percent. the lower you go, the max amount of cycles will drop down to only a few dozen times.

If you want more than a few years I'd recommend atleast 30 to 40 percent max discharge.

>> No.398493

>>398484
Well I sized my bank down to 10.8kw from 16kw to save $600 and cut the weight by 300lbs. While I don't think I'll use more than 5kwh per day, I can't say with certainty that the 800w system will prevent me from ever reaching those levels, but on average I think it will replenish what I use daily, with the alternator and shore power picking up any slack. The ultracapiciters should still charge under low light conditions that the batteries can't charge from, so at night I can still get that ~40w per hour going to my ultracaps.

I think I will do a cutout in the floor and sink the bank down into a cage with a top opening I can access the leads and water vents from the inside of the van in events of power failure or weekly maintenance. I need to be careful with this because I want to keep my batteries away from my gas tank and other hot vehicle parts.

I think 3-4 inches will stick out of the top, I'll just raise the floor a couple of inches. This will save me having to cut holes in the sides of the van for vent ducts. It will end up working out this way because the bottom chasis will be in between two banks of 4 batteries for me to ground them to.

I'm now considering getting a second charge controller and running a small ultracap bank to pull power from so I can cut power to my batteries when they're all full capacity and run certain things off solar through the ultracaps as they are receiving charge.

I may not even have to get a second charge controller, I could just set up a switch between the two banks.

>> No.398497

>>398493
does anyone know where I can find a picture of how a sprinter 2500 with 144" wb looks from underneath?

>> No.398561

Why not use a bus and black out the windows instead?

bonus, you can drive in bus lanes.

>> No.398600

>>398561
Too big, might as well get an rv.

>> No.398699

If you are doing this >>398493 , just have exhaust vent near a propane heater, safe and works. For the batteries, try to have a couple high quality capaciters to draw power directly from the solar cells too, more expensive wiring wise, but will save on battery useage. Gulf cart batteries are cheaper/lighter, and easier to replace. That and its FLORIDA, land of the Gulf Cart! Your laptop can be wired directly into your electrical system, reducing wasted energy and heat. LED's, check. Solar or otherwise powered fans, check.

Just remember to get the suspension checked over/ enhanced. Can be done if you know non-dealership mechanics for less than $2000. Otherwise just get RV trailer jacks, electric even to save time, money, and wear and tear on your suspension. Will help with unwanted movement too...

>> No.398724

>>387220
>>387234

Junkies would break in in a heartbeat.

>> No.399244

Try to run as much appliances as possible from 12V DC

>> No.399779

>>398699
>>399244
I could put a vent in for it, I sort of already have one for my fan vent. I'll consider this further, one thing I want to avoid is cutting too many holes in the vehicle.

All of my electronics can run off dc.
Laptop - check
Transformer Prime - check
Nexus 7 - check
45w Thermoelectric Refrigerator - check
12v DC Air Conditioner / Heater - check
fantastic fan vent - check
Security cameras - check
3.5w Luxeon LED with buck converter - check
2x 80w fans - check

my problem is that with the computers and some other products - they have car cigarette adapters I want to avoid cutting.

Are there any cigarette lighter hubs that run off 12v dc for me to plug these into?

>> No.400002
File: 850 KB, 1608x1360, setup1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay I think my power system will look something like this.

I've added a capacitor bank for use without batteries. Kind of wondering if my charge controller dc load terminal pulls from battery or solar.

Does it look alright? Grounding will be where it's appropriate.

>> No.400021

>>391877
Have you considered hammock(s) instead of a mattress?

>> No.400026

>>400021
can't say I have. I would imagine it's better for weight, but my aluminum frame bed doesn't weigh that much more. I'm well under my payload capacity, I think I'm pulling a thousand pounds total and thats about the weight of a filled passenger van.

>> No.400028

>>391877
In fact, I slept on a low tier futon mattress for a while. Shit sucked bad. I'm a pretty avid lightweight camper. ENO hammocs are durable for cheap, and light. I'd even just go with a $6 closed cell blue foam camping pad from walmart first, the comfort isn't that much different and the price/stowability is way better.

>> No.400029

>>400026
It's more about space imo. You can maximize space by unclipping one end when not sleeping, or using it as a chair to sit in also. Stowing a hammock is massively easier.

>> No.400031

>>400026
see>>400028
These will most likely be more comfortable than anything besides really nice futon mattresses. Even the cheap foam ikea matressess are way better.

>> No.400033

>>400028
that futon is the one I'm sleeping on now, it's not bad because it's not just one big cushion like most futons, the ones with the ladder-like railing that the mattress molds to. This one is 2 peices on a flat surface with rails on the opposite side, so no stiff metal to feel - only cushion.

I checked out those hammocks, my concerns are their length, as I was planning to lay side-side to conserve space, and the way they arch your body seems like something that could hurt your back if done over an extended course of time.

>> No.400034

>>400029
You may not have seen this post >>396187
I had intended to put the bed on a lifting track to get it out of the way, the futon pieces can be reassembled into a corner sofa as well.

I COMPLETELY AGREE ABOUT THE IKEA MATTRESSES.
Got a full sized one on the shopping list, even took a picture last trip so I wouldn't forget.

>> No.400036

>>400033
In the hammock you lay off-center, called brazillian style I think. So, depending on your height, the width of the hammoc is the real issue. I'm 6'1" and I use the mid-width ENO. Never heard of back issues, but I'm sure you figure out how to sleep in it right and which one works for you quickly. If your mattress is comfy then I would only be concerned with the effort and space to store it daily in addition to it collecting moisture / dirt / other creatures. Hammock suffers from none of these realistically, and can be thrown in with the wash. I've tried all of these things for sleeping and like the hammock, but use the next-to-cheapest ikea mattress to look more normal and have sex more than once a year.

>> No.400040

>>400034
Yeah, missed that trying to catch up with the thread to my reply. I'm sleeping on the full size ikea now. I do recomend the next up from the cheapest model. Being comfortable while you sleep is worth an extra $50 for 10 years, since you'll spend 1/3 of your life there.

>> No.400041
File: 1.71 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20130209_184142.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>400040
I looked at this one, the foam felt the best out of all the ones I tried.

I think the one to the left was the cheaper one.

>> No.400043

>>386814
I was a truck driver for a while OP. The living conditions are similar. Your idea is awesome, go for it. One warning, it does get hard to keep dirt out.We had to take our shoes off as soon as we got in the cab.

>> No.400044

>>400041
I think I went with the one below that. Memory foam is comfy but special if you've never slept on it before. Density is the name of the game with memory foam, with Tempurpedic as the gold standard at (I think) 5 lbs. a cubic foot. They are very hot and sticky against the contact side, and heavy. Having used both types of foam I personally preferred the nicer version of the non-memory foam ikea mattress.

>> No.400050
File: 40 KB, 264x483, compartments.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>400043
if you drove trucks do you mind sharing any useful 12v stuff you used? what AC perhaps?

Also here is how I was going to do my storage, shoes would be off as soon as entering, which should line up center with the side door. I'm going to make 2 transparent plexiglass sliding doors for it so nothing comes out. Bolt the thing to the ground and walls.

>> No.400052

>>400044
Just checked, I went with the fonnes, for the same price as your pic. According to the ikea site, the memory foam goes up 50 bucks for the full. I like a really firm sleep surface but opted in to using the support struts that go under it instead of just leaving it on the floor. Barely any difference though, might be in my head. If you like memory foam and don't mind the wieght, the extra thickness might be worth it.

>> No.400053

>>400044
this one was a pad, it seemed pretty light to me - but I can't say I picked it up much. Another seller for me is that it can be rolled up and out of the way.

>> No.400062

>>400050
Well, the peltier cooler mini-fridges are a must. I think you had one listed earlier. You can pack them with a lot of food, remove any shelving and stack food. I've seen drivers use inverters, but often motor carriers prohibit their drivers from using microwaves, stationary inverters, or heavy appliances. I've recently heard of someone using an induction single-burner cook top to stealth cook inside. Microwaves are said to be the most energy efficient way to heat food though. In general we tried to do things the simple / easy/ minimalistic/ usually low current way. Laptops, wifi, cellphones / voip. Even saw one guy with a micro projector who would watch movies in his truck. Too much beyond that ended up being dead weight or in the way. Over specializing just made guys with smaller living space often. For the shoes and dirt I recommend a heavy floor mat as your first step in the door. The stiff bristled shoe scraping type are great, as long as they don't hurt to step on bare footed.

>> No.400064

>>400062
Oh god, can't believe I forgot eink readers. I read a lot of books while OTR. Also, those cooler styled miniature fridges require defrosting if you run them regularly. Watch out for ice or water collecting in them. Wet cheese sucks.

>> No.400067
File: 671 KB, 1366x934, TFPfeb7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>400064
heh, I'm a pretty big tablet guy. Have a nexus 7 for the lady, and a transformer prime that gets 15 hours of battery use. Some of my money comes from android development too.

And yeap, got that fridge thing figured out. I've been looking at 12v truck ac's but barely rarely am I finding pricing information.

I'm staying away from microwaves because power requirements, and they're available in classier gas stations. Kind of encourages you to eat better without having a microwave I'd imagine.

I'll have a propane burner for boiling water, I'd probably grab another pot for cooking simple stuff like macaroni or spaghetti.

>> No.400069

>>400067
Actually, eating out is what gets you, health and budget wise. You can cook anything in a microwave almost. You should be fine cooking with the single propane burner inside if you have a stable set-up. You will have the luxury of grocery shopping every day if you want, also. Buy a lot of fresh food in small quantities. You'll definitely want a good vent system if you cook in the cabin much or all your belongings will smell like a restaurant kitchen. If you've got propane on hand, there are some small 'indoor safe' heaters that rock. Won't need it in Tampa often, but a warm place is nice when you do need it, or if you travel. It seems to me your only heavy current draw is a cooling system. I lived in Tampa one summer without a/c. It was hell.

>> No.400072

>>386814
It is possible a tiny home setup would be cheaper and more comfortable for you.

>> No.400086
File: 13 KB, 305x450, W110206-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>400069
My parents are poor and I remember one summer the electricity was off for 2 weeks, Muggy ass 85-90 degree weather. As the sweat dripped from my eyebrows I watched a tootsie roll on my dresser melt into a puddle. Inside with the window covered.

The fantastic vent should do the work, although I'd probably just open the doors at a park. I'll still look for the indoor-safe stuff anyway, propane leaks don't always occur when you're cooking.

Speaking of gas leaks, I found this hydrogen gas detector that scans for dangerous H2S battery levels and sounds and alarm. With this, the thermoil solution, and my battery bank ventilation, I don't think I'll ever need to worry about those fumes again.

I was going to get a carbon monoxide / smoke detector too.

>> No.400088

Why didn't you just get a huge old RV and put bigger solar panels on it and live in it rather than a shitty van lol?

>> No.400090

>>400088
it's less noticeable and gets better gas. more panels more money.

>> No.400118

>>386814
i'm doubtful the inverter will handle the heater, do more research. why: can't remember the math, but had a sub 1000W appliance plugged into a similar inverter, tripped its safety every time

>> No.400154

>>399779

You can get the cigarette lighters at most truck stops as spare parts, can directly wire it in too, usually comes with fuses.

If you are rising the floor a bit, the shoe and dirt thing won't be as big a deal, linoleum will cover your easy cleaning things well.

The death/risks from using a Mr. Heater/ Propane stove inside is actually low with proper ventilation; which you are definitely having in your vehicle.

Use the heater/ac unit only for the ac, unless you are plugged into a mains for power. Propane is definitely cheaper and more efficient for heating and cooking, though the low power dc microwaves do work, they take several minutes to just cook popcorn.

Most modern smoke detectors also have CO2, and CO detectors built in. Some even have radon detectors. 9vdc. Check.

>> No.400211

>>400002

The LOAD terminal pulls from the solar, and is not needed.

>> No.400247

DIY, stop helping make the ultimate pedovan....

>> No.400408
File: 13 KB, 210x280, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>400118
the inverter in OP has been switched since posted see >>400002

>>400154
I was considering vinyl floor tiles, I found a guy at http://www.stealthsprinter.com/ with a setup similar to mine, except not quite as much power. He used vinyl flooring.

I found a hub with 6 cigarette car adapters for 8 dollars, it plugs into an existing cigarette adapter but I may be able to split the cable and have it work directly off battery.

I'll probably just use propane like you mentioned, the only issue is that since it needs ventilation - heat may escape.

The smoke detector I found at home depot has a 10 year battery and detects both like you said.

>>400211
thanks, I'll definitely avoid that then.

>> No.400538

You probably already know about this guy, but just in case you don't: cheaprvliving dot com
There was a guy on /o/ a while back who lived in a van in socal. here is one of the archived threads: m dot chanarchive dot org / 4chan/o/7242/vandweller-finishes-his-van-also-q-a

>> No.400540

>>400538
sorry for the stupid links, damn thing thought it was spam 5 fucking times

>> No.400575

>>400540
vandweller has already posted in this thread a few times haha.

>> No.400585
File: 121 KB, 640x480, 1336094426075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>386814

First thing OP, you know what makes HP?

Weight reduction, Replacing the steel with fibreglass casts would save you power to spend elsewhere.

Otherwise, looks okay.

Go check out ecomodder.com there is a huge list of changes that you can make to the body of any vehicle to reduce resistance and weight.

All car lovers understand this. Have you not though about revamping something with a lighter body and better aero dynamics than a brick on wheels?

Cover that rear well btw. Any case check out the list and ignore all the engine mods unless that is something you can pull out of it.

Personally I would buy an old corolla and start yanking out everything and rebuild it. Light weight. Lots of roof and hood room, plus you could get it passably street legal by the safety standards built into that car.

Might even get enough power distribution to carry 600 lbs.

>> No.400630

>>400585
That's definitely something I'll consider down the line. The upfront cost is about as much as I can afford for now. With the money I save I could reconsider something like this at a later date, but for the time being I'm not very concerned with gas mileage as the sprinter should get a decent 20 mpg stock. I am not planning around long distance traveling at this moment, but definitely will in the future.

As mentioned previously, shipping the van overseas could happen down the line - so something like this would fit into the budget to cut down shipping costs.

>> No.400666

>>386814
>Faraday Cage
>4G hotspot

But that wont work.

>> No.400669

>>400575
Yeahhhhhh, tldr.

>> No.400678

>>400666
I've posted I'm only housing the electrical equipment in the Faraday cage now.

>> No.400812
File: 10 KB, 296x405, Peltier-Cooler-400W.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright I think I found a suitable low wattage air conditioner for this project.

These 300w peltier coolers are used to cool traffic light cabinets that sit in the summer heat and need to stay cool to run properly, or data centers that want to cut electric costs since servers are already demanding high energy amounts. Servers need to stay cool to operate, just like people.

The problem is that they run on 24v dc and everything I've set up is for 12v, but they also run on ac so they could be that one luxury I use ac power for when it's necessary. They're cheap enough to buy 2, and are 400x400mm so it would fit on the back doors beneath the windows. The cold air inlet is perfectly positioned over the bed area, and there will be a curtain closing the area off from the rest of the van, so I could sleep in my very own server cabinet haha. I doubt they'd look strange on the back of a cargo van, since they're commonly seen on city infrastructures.

They even do heat, and that runs off 12v dc I believe.

>> No.400831

>>400812
peltier coolers are not as effective as heat pumps (normal air conditioners).

iI *KNOW* that you think peltiers would be really nifty to use here,,,,,,, just like solar power would be nifty to use.... but solar panels cost a lot for what little power they put out, and so the first rule of solar power is that you reduce your total energy requirements as much as possible. Peltiers is exactly the wrong choice. Get an RV air conditioner instead.

>> No.400835

>>400831
I haven't ever used a peltier cooler so I have nothing but assumptions really.
Solar Panels are free energy once the initial cost is paid off, and the only energy that will work with this project that wont require money to be continuously pumped into it over time. I've already did the step you mentioned, but I'm still not willing to cut cold air out of my lifestyle when I only need to cool 250 cubic feet from an 800w solar array.

when you say they're not as effective as heat pumps are you referring to the energy cost?

>> No.400840

>>386814
Going to put money into savings.. Will you not needs bank for that? If so, will the bank not require a fixed address in order to grant you an account? Won't you require an address for other things anyway?

>> No.400842

>>400840
Are you saying that saving money is outlawed to people without a address?
If the bank doesn't want my cash that will be a first lol.
I think you just need a mailing address.

As long as the cash isn't carried across state lines I think it's fine to store it in a safe. I could manage it online, or just exchange it for gold and make more interest.

>> No.400843

>>400842

>As long as the cash isn't carried across state lines I think it's fine to store it in a safe.

are you talking about the usa? is it illegal to carry cash across state lines in a safe? how would they ever catch something like this? and your sentence implies that i can take it out of the safe as i cross the state line and then put it back in.

clarification please.

>> No.400846 [DELETED] 

>>400843
if you're pulled over you'll be arrested for money laundering if it's over a certain amount.

I don't know if any instate laws exist for transporting larger sums of money, but I know for transportation of guns they need to be in the trunk or out of immediate reach (like in a safe) with a concealed weapon permit.

>> No.400849

>>400843
you'll be arrested for money laundering if you carry a certain amount of cash across state lines and leo finds out.

in state it shouldn't make a difference. guns are the only thing that need to be in a safe if you don't have a concealed permit.

>> No.400853

>>400849

while you may be correct, in what way is money "laundered" by moving cash across a state line? i though money laundering involved changing the source of it, as in setting up a restaurant to appear to be the source of income from your drug deals.

in other words, i can drive from one side of texas to the other with a car full of cash, but if i go 10 feet further, how is the money laundered? it isn't like you have to convert the cash from texas currency to oklahoma currency.

>> No.400856

>>400853
My source of this information is sitting next to someone on a greyhound and listening to their story on my 1400 mile trip of why they were on the bus.

These 2 guys from texas had 30,000 they were going to take to california and buy a bunch of weed, then return. So he didn't lie about his intention to me...

When they got to Colorado, they were pulled over for a routine traffic stop, and right as the cop was about to let them go he noticed a shoebox underneath the seat, the cop asked to see what was in the box and found the money. They said were arrested due to federal law regarding the money, and got off in houston which also matched their story about their dad bailing them out of a jail in colorado.

They could have lied, but I don't see why they'd need to when they told me they were just thankful it was for that instead of for possession with intent to sell.

>> No.400872

>>386814
>>386814
This totally looks like the schematic for a car bomb.

>> No.400883

>>400849
>>400853
>>400856
OP you're very delutional if you think the cops are not gonna harass you like crazy.

It doesn't matter if you "don't break any laws" (you probably do but forget about that). Cops are guardians of normality and what you are doing is too unnormal for them to allow it.

>> No.400896

>E350

Do you even the mpgs of this thing? So dam fucking terrible

>> No.400897

>>400896
Not just terrible are talking about 13-8mpgs

>> No.400902

>>400050
Your books go in that little space??? i pitty you

inb4 e-books, if you rely heavily on them you have no idea of the cultural significance of concrete real world books

>> No.401223

>>400896
>>400897
it's been said like 20 times a sprinter is being used now.

>>400883
I know it doesn't matter if I don't break laws from experience.

I know how to represent myself in court. I've done it a dozen times in the past, if they want to hassle me I'll go tell them to look up my arrests in their system, and look up how many of those made it past court. If they want to sit in a courtroom for 6 hours, I'll bring my tablet - I can charge it off their wall jacks. But really trolling goes both ways - if they want to arrest me for not owning a house with showers and toilets, and then lock me in a house with showers and toilets - I'll have a field day in court. Judges around here hate wasteful spending, and when I point out the cost of transport, booking, etc, compared to whatever damage what they arrest me for caused - he'll probably get suspended without pay. Without a concrete law to arrest me for, I'm more trouble than it's worth.

>>400902
You're really the worst kind of elitist if this is what you have pity over. I don't carry paper or read paper books, my girlfriend does. Everything I read is in pdf or online. Cultural significance means nothing to me.
In a situation where you don't have much room, you don't clutter what room you do have if you can save that space. It's enough to fit 10 books at a time, library cards yo.

>> No.401238
File: 9 KB, 319x467, shelves.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>400902
also you should know I shrunk the book space down because it was eating too much room.

>> No.401254
File: 136 KB, 541x329, peltierice.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Earlier someone said 2 300w peltier coolers couldn't cool a 150 cubic foot area.

I just watched a video of one 300w peltier cooler making ice in 30 seconds. It looks like this could cool the van sleeping quarters on warm nights. Why wouldn't it work? Is this not sufficient for a 150 cubic foot area?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMYlslqPnM

>> No.401281

>>401254

because temperature is not the same as heat.

ergo:

* paper match lit, about 750F. you can put it out between your fingertips.

* boiling pot of water, only 212F. 3rd degree burns.

the match has a high temperature, but low heat energy content. the boiling water has lower temp, but much higher heat energy.

a van in the sun contains a fuckload of heat. 300 watts won't move all that heat outside the van.

>> No.401292

>>401281
that's a great explanation, thanks.
I had intended to stack them, would 600w do the trick of dropping a 90 degree 150 cubic foot area down to a tolerable 70?

if there is some thermodynamic formula for figuring this out it would be useful.

I'd go with a compressor based cooling system, but they're really expensive and hard to find for a decent 400-500w unit.

>> No.401294

>>386814
Where in Florida are you OP?

>> No.401296

>>401294
Tampa/Brandon

>> No.401323

>>400883

You are an idiot, OP is going to live where he needs to to survive.

This is the new normal. Not edgy, just the way it is now and it's getting worse everyday for a lot of people. Eventually the tax base dries up and the cops are laid off.

Then they are on 4chan reading through a thread about how to live cheaply and comfortably in a Van. There are families living in cars in mass now.

Tent cities outside of every city. So OP is going to have a couple of hassles. He'll learn and get smarter everytime he deals with the situation.

>> No.401327

>>401223
>Sprinter

How? They are expensive

>> No.401332

>>401327
they're advertised for 11-14k at dealerships in my area with 100-180k miles. I've seen some listed for 5k with 380k miles, so one of the 11k models will last.

That said, I go there and argue that that mileage concerns me and it could take work, offer 8k, and the deal gets haggled to 10k. If it doesn't, I go to another dealership that will negotiate.

The goal is to spend less than 15k to get the van going, and under 20k to have everything perfect. So less than 2 years to pay off working part time.

>> No.401337

>>401332
also I already have a 2005 toyota corolla with 90k miles to trade in, so that will help negotiate.

>> No.401611

Have vapor barriers over intake vents, have dehumidifier to clean moisture out of space, insulate the vans ceiling and walls.

Make sure van is white to reduce heating from sun, heat is always easier to make than cold.

To shut up pedo talk, get insurance to cut you a deal with gps speeding checker. Will make you lose ability to steal/leach, but may/may not keep cops from being an active in your face problem. Lower your insurance costs too.

Can get permission from some businesses to hook up power if you are a regular customer, spend more than you cost them in power, grocery store perhaps?? Side job of night watch since you will have security camera's on your van.

>> No.401713

>>401611
vapor barriers? is this something that will keep out water? I had to ditch the idea of mounting the batteries to the undercarriage, not enough room, and the first deep puddle I drive through will be the last. So if these barriers can keep water out of my ventilation tubes that would be nice.

The gps-speed tracker thing is too much surveillance for me. My own doesn't matter so much, but consenting to big brother tracking me is something I can't live down as a person majoring in IT security.

Van will be solid white, I'm thinking about finding an electrician to inspect my equipment for insurance, and offering to advertise his business on the side of my van in addition to payment. That way my van can be parked anywhere and it will look like someone is getting their electrical system checked.

>> No.402975

Vapor Barriers are used in construction to help keep moisture out of roofs and buildings. You can think of the vent sorts as basically very fine filters that help to condense/ remove moisture from the air. Think of membrane dehumidifiers. If you can get a can of hydrophobic spray and coat a vent filter with it, you can either keep moisture out of your van that way(while taxing the fan) or poison yourself with nanoparticles.

Just hook up a high efficiency dehumidifiers intake to the vents that you'd suck more air in with and put one way valves on exhaust vents/fans. Will do the most work for little money. Have a single small air conditioner to chill the air in said van not directly in the ventilation outtakes, and your good to go. A condenser in the intake vent will also go along way, just remember to vent the heat up and out. Reverse the heating/ cooling flows for cold nights.