[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 68 KB, 240x235, Starbucks - corporate coffee sucks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
385512 No.385512 [Reply] [Original]

DIY investing thread?

My investor turned out to be an awful person, and he got fired from his job.
After almost a year of letting my money sit in an index fund, and making like 2%, I've decided I'm done with funds altogether. It's time to start trading like a big boy.

Anyway, when I go on scottrade and look through pages and pages of companies I get a little intimidated. I have no idea what to buy.

Do any of you guys trade? Invest in anything interesting? How did you learn to DIY

>> No.385514

It's really easy, just follow two rules:

1 - Buy a stock before it is about to go up in value.

2 - Sell it before it drops.

You could complicate things with shorts or options or all sorts of other options, but I like to keep it simple and follow the two rules above.

>> No.385516

>>385514
Well yeah, but how do I know its about to go up?

>> No.385520

For each stock, invest one hour a week researching it, competitors, and environmental factors.

Depending on your age and when you plan to retire, 1/2 to 1/5 of your investment can be in volatile stocks.

Just basic guidelines.
Common advice is to buy stocks of corporations you buy the products of. 3m, colgate, coke (but never pepsi that stuff is gross), mcdonalds, whatever.

Generally buy the best of brand, coke instead of pepsi, mcdonalds instead of burger king. They swing sometimes and you can catch that if you watch close, but long term, the product leader will be better investment.

>> No.385526

>>385516
Are you day trading or making long term investments?
Lots of cash or not much?
How much time do you have to put into it?

>> No.385529

>>385526
I don't really know how long term? Whatever makes me the most money I guess.
As of right now I only have 6500. Not much, I know, but enough to justify the trading fee for a few stocks.
I could put in maybe an hour or two a week, possibly more

>> No.385535

>>385529
Then I'd recommend picking a few solid companies that still have room to grow and hold on to them long term. I always recommend buy stocks from companies you like and you personally believe in -- you will be more motivated to keep up with their progress and have a better feel for if they are doing something that could get them into trouble.

>> No.385536

>>385535
Sounds like solid advice.
I guess I'll check on McDonalds first. If there's any company I believe in, it's them.

>> No.385564

Starbucks partner here. Starting on the west coast we are launching our La Boulange line of pastries. They're very good quality and super delicious. We're seeing about 17-25% profit in the stores that have already received them (mostly bay area). Slowly but surely we are expanding this east, where you and your picture can suck it.

In all seriousness, contrary to what your image might say, Starbucks is a strong company that is slowly moving up, focusing first and foremost on quality- something consumers love.

>> No.385580

>>385564
I don't really get all the starbucks hate. They treat their employees pretty well (or so I've heard from friends who have worked there), they make ok coffee considering their scale, they have nice shops with free wifi, they donate tons to charity, and they do their best to get their coffee from growers that treat their workers well (as much as is possible at their scale).

Not like they are a lovable company, but they aren't evil. Not nearly as bad as Apple, and everyone loves them.

>> No.385585

>>385580
We're a great company, most people don't see exactly how much work we put towards making other people happy.

>> No.385597
File: 22 KB, 366x294, S&P-Logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The S&P 500 tracks the top 500 U.S. stocks - in other words, the top 15% out of the 4000 stocks in the NYSE and NASDAQ.

Just to MATCH the S&P 500, all your picks would have to be in the top 15% of stocks!

>> No.385604

>>385585
that's not what seattle says

>> No.385605

OP Apple is still in the shitter and despite how much shit it is, the plebs will lap that shit up, it's going to go up, do it now, or be stupid.
Valentines day is coming up, Hershey is gonna get a real nice boost sometime soon.

>> No.385607

>>385536
>If there's any company I believe in, it's them.
Oh you poor poor McFat sheeple.

>> No.385610

>>385605
Do you really think the maker of the second most popular OS and the second most popular phone deserve to be the richest company in the world?

Shit was WAY overvalued 6 months ago, and is still WAY overvalued now.

>> No.385611

>>385610
>it deserves to be second, duh.

>> No.385617

>>385610
People are idiots.
That's how Apple got this far, that's how it'll get further, and that's how places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, etc. exist.

>> No.385682

>>385516
>Well yeah, but how do I know its about to go up?

The trick to this is called "outsider trading" not insider trading because you don't work for the company or have any ties, but you know someone who does, and you trust the info.

example: your neighbor works for company x, and the two of you sometimes sit on the backyard swing together watching the sunset and drinking beer together. he or she mentions that their company developed a new product which attracted say Google's eye. Google offered $18M to buy company x, but the owner thinks his shit is worth more. BUY NOW
when the news gets out about the deal, the price will go up. As the owner figures out how much he thinks his company is worth, the price goes up. If competitors jump in the price goes up. If you got in early enough, you could make 300 to 1000% in 3 months time. even if the deal falls through, you won't get hurt, if you got in early enough.
Dipshits who bought in after it started climbing could lose their shirt. If it's already tripled, the risk is a 50/50 gamble.

>> No.385685

Peer lending is always a viable investment. Lending Club offers a variety of loan grades, with interest rates varying based on the amount of risk you're willing to put into it.

Last summer, Forbes published an article talking about its reliability, innovation, and direction. The same year, a friend of mine made 7% on his L.C. investments.

>> No.385716

>>385610
They're cash sheet suggests otherwise. They could say fuck electronics we're an investment firm now and still be undervalued. And I'm an android fanboy.

OP
What I recommend for your first year is simple. Use a stock screener. The base of my own portfolio was built on high-yielding dividend stocks that I felt were undervalued. This was part of my long term strategy to build a solid core of productive "safe" investments and then get more risky as time goes on. So, my first purchase was 20year bonds(lol, ya but it's better than sitting in my bank). Second was SFUN @ 12 per share back in July. I didn't care so much what the price did, I just wanted the dividends. From then I've looked at fallen giants(SNE, PC, ATVI) as risky long term investments. Now that I've built my base the goal is to get multiples of 100 in my core holdings. The most active ones first and then sell covered calls on them to produce capital on a long-term hold.

There is no quick and dirty fix to investing. Figure out a strategy that sounds good to you. Do you want to be risky and get safer, safe and stay safe, middle of the road? Each way has it's own problems. I'd say look at your short term and long term goals first. Do you need that 6500 this year, or next year, or is it ok as an emergency fund for 5-8 years while it gets risked on the market? There's lots of information out there.

>simplest strategy I've seen was like this, 25% gold index fund, 25% S&P 500 index, 25% long term bonds, 25% money market. You can adjust as necessary.

>> No.385751

why do people think "oh just invest and im auto-rich!"?

Even with high returns, like 10%, it's still a long term process.

You invest slowly for years and year and year and you never see it again until you're old and wrinkled and no chick would ever want to do you so just go find a new investor (ask for a suggestion from the guy that fired the last one) and start enjoying your life.

>> No.385786

>>385617
starbucks isn't so bad

>> No.385795

>>385751
>Not disregarding women and accumulating currency

>> No.385873

>>385751
This, even if you're playing with 100,000 you are going to be making minimal day to day gains, try out the simulator on investopedia, it's not the best, but it's alright and it has some good basics on real investing in it's tutorial section, as well as some basic videos to explain the structure of stock exchange.

>> No.385980

hitthebid.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIvV2T8ZNU

>> No.385993

Want to invest? what do you think about 6% anual?

is good?

>> No.386042

Protip: Sell your Google stock before they change the way SafeSearch works in the United St... damn it.

>> No.386059

>>385795
>Not disregarding currency and women and accumulating happiness

>> No.386089

>>385580
>I don't really get all the starbucks hate.
Their coffee sucks and they know they can get away with it because 97% of their customer base orders it loaded down with dairy and sugar anyway.
Have you ever had a plain, black coffee from Starbucks? It tastes like burnt. Or at least that's the case for every Starbucks I've ever been to.

>polite sage for non-contributing post

>> No.386090

>>385564
>>385585
>>385580
I really don't hate starbucks, their coffee just sucks compared to what coffee can be. I've been a barista for years, gone to coffee roasting school and own a home roasting facility. If there's anything I know it's coffee, and starbucks coffee taste like shit.

Bringing your roast to french doesn't hide the taste of the shit tier beans you buy.

Also, your employees don't know how to steam milk worth a shit.

>> No.386092

>>386089
I'm this guy
>>386090
It taste burnt because they do whats called a french roast, which basically means leaving the beans in the roaster for too long.
Like .09% of people actually like french roast coffee plain, they just do it to mask the shit coffee they buy.

>> No.386094

>>386092
Oh and now they have this bullshit called "blonde roast" which is like a full city roast, which is what moat people actually like.
It still taste like shit though.

>> No.386096

>>385751
No one said anything about auto rich, we just want to invest.
I'd be stoked as shit to get 10%

>> No.386097

>>386090
>>386094
Tell me where I can learn about roasts.
A book or a web page would be really nice.

>> No.386099

>>386097
http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php
This is what got me started years ago. They have a lot of information on roasts and roasting on there.

>> No.386106

>>386099
>http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php
Not as quite web 1.0 as I expected, but that's alright.

>> No.386122

a good company that not many people think of for dividend payments is wwe/wwf what ever it is currently. I belive its down about half since 2010. Alot of wrestlers make there money with the dividends.

>> No.386139

>>386122

Dude what? You can buy WWF stock?! I can own a peice of John Cena? Simply Amazing.

I got on the Ford train at the end of December...

Officially in the red for me as of today. I see as there is only room for improvement with them, and pretty much plan on holding on to it for a good amount of time.

Any of you guys familiar with the Ford stock or auto industry over all?

>> No.386161

> Any of you guys familiar with the Ford stock or auto industry over all?

sure, industries which need govt bailouts to stay afloat are the best kind to invest in.

>> No.386831

Here is a site that talks about picking stocks: http://dontfightthetrend.com/

>> No.386858

>>386139
I'd go with one of the companies that's pioneering the new air-less tires. Those things are going to be a hit once the R&D is done.

>> No.386871

I'm an european citizen, can I trade US stocks? Where do I start?

>> No.386878

in my option it is a very BAD time to buy stocks. they are at a all time high and they are about to cash. goldmsacks sold all of there stocks and they run the world so they wwould know when to get out and gdp droped for the first time ever so thats not good

>> No.386885

>>385617
For walmart, from an ethical standpoint, it depends on the location and the top management. In mexico there's obvious political corruption. Where I live, though, it's fine. No one else sells binders for 70 cents. Clothes are cheap, too. I haven't gone there in a while, though. Come to think of it, what does walmart actually sell?

>> No.386961

>>386878
Well you need to consider how GDP dropped. GDP is many things. Government-related growth dropped while other stuff "went up" as it's said.

>> No.387597

ITT not one person notices that stocks are in a gigantic ass bubble fueled by infinite free money from the Fed.

Only tards trade this market. There is no more alpha to be had anywhere, only beta and gamma. Bonds are at the end of a 30 year bubble, and are about to break catastrophically.

Buy gold, buy silver. Make sure it is in your hands, and not exposed to counterparty risk. You will be glad you did in five years. I sure am. That's part of the reason that I retired at 29.