[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 237 KB, 347x700, 1355683792735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
368508 No.368508 [Reply] [Original]

i found this picture last month here... have someone tried it? sorry for the english; PS i fucking love cider

>> No.368511

23 liters of liquid

wot

>> No.368510

Cider it is not, but a way to make cheap alcohol.

The yeast, sugar and water combo is the base of home made alcohol. This recepy is something every Finnish person knows and have made themself. What does it tell you that Finnish companies have advertised sugar sales with term that means "so cheap you want to scream" or "so cheap you want to drink home made alcohol".

>> No.368512

>>368510
youre right, lol

>> No.368513
File: 76 KB, 600x450, 1346419810876.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As >>368510 said, it's not really cider, nor will it taste very good. However it's a really cheap way to make cheap alcohol for sure.

If you actually appreciate cider then this is not the way to go. If you just want to get drunk, then go for it.

>> No.368514

if you just wanna get drunk for super cheap, sure go for it.
if you have any self respect, make some beer or proper wine.

>> No.368515

>>368508

It's usually said that it doesn't mention disinfection and that napkin is about the shittiest possible airlock.

>>368510
>"so cheap you want to drink home made alcohol"

Oh? We had ads like that?

>> No.368517

>>368515

Niin halpaa että tekee mieli kiljua.

>> No.368520

mmm i dont care the price, and its true, the pasteurization is important to the cider... eeem, another recipe for cider? PS: i make my own aple juice cause i have a tree in my garden; 1st quality juice lol

>> No.368522

>>368520
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-cider/

>> No.368525

1 kilo of apples
4 lt of water
100 gr of sugar
200 gr of honey
10 gr of leaven
a little bit of cinnamon

cut the apples, and cook them with the 4 lt of water around 15 or 20 minuts... let them rest 3 hours; strain the apples from the liquid.

Add all the others ingredients to the liquid, shake the preparation, close the bottle or the recipient with a woven... its important that could enter some air... let it rest 3 days, and is ready to drink: drink it in less a week

sorry for the english, but the recipe always work for me

>> No.368528

>>368517

Ai niin joo.

>> No.368536

OK, I can legit clear aLLLL this up. I work at a home brewing store. My suggestions are: A) A sealed bucket is better than a water bottle. The water bottles are designed to let air in. Good for water, bad for booze (it will oxidize the alcohol). B) Any yeast will do but if you can buy a wine yeast (Cote du Blanc by Red Star) will make a far better cider. It's cheap and readily available. Make a few calls. Sugar will convert into booze, only. If you use too much compared to juice it will taste like rubbing alcohol. Otherwise, go for it. Finally, juice is fine BUT it must contain NO PRESERVATIVES. That shit will stop the yeast from converting the sugars to alcohol. Finally, you'll need a way for the CO2 to get out but not let other stuff in (airlock). Cover opening with tape, prick a hole with a pin and you'll be ghetto good to go!

>> No.368537

Also, if you fill your container (Bucket, carboy, bottle, whatever) up to the brim and then and the yeast you'll have a shitshow mess to clean up. The yeast will foam up when fermenting. You need headspace for that. If you have a 5 gallon container, make 4 gallons of cider/booze/beer etc. When it's done fermenting you can put it in whatever. Keep in mind it will be flat (non-carbonated). To get there is another step. We can cover that if you're interested.

>> No.368547

I made some mead in a similar cheap fashion. Couple pieces of advice. Start with a gallon container in case its horrible. Use wine grade yeast, not bakers yeast. This improves the taste. Lastly you need to find a good method of separating the liquid from the crap and junk that floats to the bottom. I used coffee filters and boy were they slow and ineffective.

>> No.368548

>>368537
good advices, thanks!

>> No.368551

Oh ya! Final thing. Whatever you use to ferment has to be clean! Like, real clean. I susggest (since we're going cheap here) a cap-full of bleach, a splash, into your container. Then fill it up with water and let it sit for an hour. Then rinse that bitch out with water REALLY well. Then add your ingrediants and you'll be off to the races.

>> No.368554

>>368536
Yes, listen to obi wan. Mind what you have learned. Save you, it can.

Another benefit of a gallon container is you can fit a balloon over the top and poke a few small holes giving a nice release for the air.

>> No.368560
File: 77 KB, 850x768, STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>368508
Goddamnit. Stop posting that image!

>> No.368564

>>368508
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UwX9FvYssc

>> No.368565

>>368554
This is true, much like my ghetto tape plus pin hole trick. The problem with both is that if you are fermenting a lot, especially quickly or at high temps you can blow these makeshift "airlocks" off the container. Basically the goal is to keep the CO2 going out and not let potential infections (bacteria) in. Some bacteria have evolved to be able to eat what yeast cannot. This is what will sour/ruin a batch of beer/wine/cider.

>> No.368567

>>368560
The problem with this image is it will make booze. Nothing about it is in-accurate. It's just unlikely to make anything you want to drink.

>> No.368600

Take 10 peeled oranges,
Jarvis Masters, it is the judgment and sentence of this
Court
one 8-oz. can of fruit cocktail,
that the charged information was true,
squeeze the fruit into a small plastic bag,
and the jury having previously, on said date,
and put the juice along with the mash inside;
found that the penalty shall be death,
add 16 oz. of water and seal the bag tightly.
and this Court having, on August 20, 1991,
Place the bag into your sink,
denied your motion for a new trial,
and heat it with hot running water for 15 minutes.
it is the order of this Court that you suffer death,
Wrap towels around the bag to keep it warm for
fermentation.
said penalty to be inflicted within the walls of San
Quentin,
Stash the bag in your cell undisturbed for 48 hours.
at which place you shall be put to death,
When the time has elapsed,
in the manner prescribed by law,
add 40 to 60 cubes of white sugar,
the date later to be fixed by the Court in warrant of
execution.
6 teaspoons of ketchup,
You are remanded to the custody of the warden of San
Quentin,
then heat again for 30 minutes.
to be held by him pending final
Secure the bag as before,
determination of your appeal.
than stash it undisturbed again for 72 hours.
It is so ordered.
Reheat daily for 15 minutes.
In witness whereof,
After 72 hours,
I have hereon set my hand as Judge of this Superior
court,
with a spoon, skim off the mash;
and I have caused the seal of this Court to be affixed
thereto.
pour the remaining portion into two 16-oz. cups.
May God have mercy on your soul,
Guzzle down quickly!
Mr. Jarvis Masters.
Gulp Gulp Gulp!

>> No.368606

>>368567
No, there is a huge chance it will get infected with bad bacteria or bad wild yeast and produce no alcohol. It can then produce either vinegar or bitter water depending on how bad it is.

It needs an air lock.

Period.

>> No.368637
File: 25 KB, 240x85, 1340822882232.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I saw a video of people in Uganda Making hard Liquor with bananas and they had some good time drinking that shit

How does Banan into Liquor diy?

>> No.368643

>>368508
Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea.... You may as well mix apple juice with methylated spirits (trangia fluid)

>> No.368660

>>368536
Hey man, I work at a homebrew shop too. Where you guys located?

Also, has anybody tried mead? 3 or 4 pounds to a gallon. Fairly inexpensive. Fucking delicious if you put a whole clove or two in. Maybe a chopped up orange for a little tart flavor.

>> No.368663

>>368660
Excuse me, 3 or 4 pounds of honey to a gallon of liquid.

>> No.368667

>>368637
Sugar + yeast = alcohol

>> No.368674

>>368660
I thought mead would taste like honey wine. In reality it just tastes like wine with no honey even in it.

>> No.368689

>>368674
Eh, depends on how much honey is left over after fermentation. You want a lot of honey flavor use 5 pounds per gallon. It can be a little much at that point though. Too sweet.

>> No.369346

>>368606
It will produce both. Booze and maybe something else. The likelyhood of it producing vinegar etc depends on where you are. Wild yeast are everywhere. It will produce booze. But the booze may then sour as other things infect/change it. An airlock is the first defense against all this. But look at wine makers in France. Many use open fermentors. Or the Abbeys of Belgium. Some of the best beer in the world! And open fermentors. The natuiral yeasts in those areas produce good booze.

>> No.369347

>>368689
>>368674
Mead is honey wine. Normally, honey ferments out completely, being nothing more than a super-complex sugar. BUT when you get to high volumes, say 5 punds of honey for every one pound of water, you will end up with some residual sweetness because the yeast has trouble consuming and converting all that. Here's the important part for you DIY folk: mead takes six months to a year to be good. And you need to add yeast nutrient to help the yeast convert allll that sugar. Mead (good mead) takes longer than beer, fine or even hard liqour to make. Fun fact:: The tradition of a Honeymoon was built around the consumption of mead Look it up!.

>> No.369348

>>368660
I'm in the Baltimore area. But I'm trying to get into professional brewing. Any help would be appreciated!

>> No.369349

>>369347
"beer, WINE, or even hard liqour.."

>> No.369350

>>369346
Don't be a fucking idiot. It's people like you that perpetuate that troll image the OP posted and tarnish homebrewing. Fuck off.

>> No.369368

If you guyz are interested in making mead (or other alcohol) I suggest you visit:
http://www.gotmead.com
and study the JAO recipe. (Joe's Ancient Orange).

>> No.369369

>>368667
>Sugar + yeast = alcohol

Yeast is a micro-organism that eats sugar and shits alcohol.

You can make alcoholic drinks from most plants as long as you have yeast, water, sugar, a sterile container and an airlock.

The plant adds flavour.

The yeast, water and sugar create the alcohol.

The sterile container and airlock prevent the culture being contaminated from other micro-organisms.

>> No.369405

>>369348
What's up fellow Baltimore /diy/ke.

>> No.369491

>>369350
Still me. Still work at a homebrewing store. And I still know what I'm talking about. As I stated very clearly earlier: It will make booze, just not something you will want to drink. Probably. It is lack of understanding that will tarnish homebrewing. But science will not. Perhaps you are not familiar with wild yeast cultivation? Or their historic use? C'mon man. We made beer and wine for three thousand years before we KNEW WHAT YEAST WAS. Don't get your nuts in a twist over statements of fact. I advocate good sanitation and good ingredients above all else. The image does not encourage those things. But I also acknowledge science and the fact that the image is correct in what it proposes (bad ingredients and bad booze to get fucked up).

>> No.369495

>>369369
Very true. The only thing about this statement I'd augment is that YEAST add flavor. For example: a wine yeast in a brewery is considered an infection. A beer yeast in a winery is considered an infection. That's why we use bread yeast to make bread and beer yeast to make beer. Yeast is a major contribution to flavor and it's one of the hardest parts for young brewers to master because they simply don't know what kind of profile it contributes.

>> No.369496

>>369405
Whattup kat?. Going to bitgengamerfest in June? If we're gonna drink, might as well do it with rock and video games...

>> No.369502

>>369369
>>369495

>Intelligent /diy/nosaurs everywhere.

When this pic pops up on other boards I want to vomit at how stupid people are. I've heard everything from "bread yeast produces methanol, not ethanol" to "all yeasts are the same".

Not all yeasts were created equal. If you want booze but don't care what it tastes like, bread yeast will work. If you want something palatable, then you should choose a yeast that is suited to what you want to brew.

>> No.369513

You know, you guys keep saying that this recipe is shit. And yeah, It's not gonna be the highest quality of cider. I figure it's a good place to start. A good way to learn the most simple concepts of fermentation. It's a good place to fuck up and learn from your fuck ups. If you're still interested look up better recipes, techniques and equipment. And yeast. (Good yeast kicks so much ass).

>> No.369514

>>369348
Oh sweet. I'm in Tucson. Don't have any advice really, I'm just a humble homebrewer.

>> No.369583

>>369513
I'm telling you, Red Star's "Cote Du Blanc" is amazing. It's cheap, it's in every homebrew store and it makes great white wine, great fruit ine (cider of any kind) AND great mead.

>> No.369590

>>369502
This is legit. Men and women in prison make booze. They don't do it with good yeast. But they do make it.

>> No.369881

>>368508
Lurker here, bumping this thread because of interest, I've been making cider and enjoy this sort of brewing (apologies if this is an incorrect term) and am wondering where to go from here, does any /diy/nosaur here know of similiar easily made alcohol variants that can be made in minimal space?

>> No.369889

I tried something similar. I got two gallons of cider, added a few cups of sugar, and then some ale yeast. Fermentation stopped way too early. I wound up with incredibly sweet cider of very low alcohol. I have no idea why.

>> No.369928

>>369889

you have to put in only as much sugar (including the sugars in fruit, etc) as the yeasts can eat before they literally die in their own shit -- which is alcohol

>> No.369952

There is a great recipe in homebrewtalk.com called "man, i love apfelwein" by a very respected brewer. Check it out. I have brewed it, and this shit rocks. The size of the forum thread will give you an indication at how legit the recipe is. Make sure you use the proper yeast. A single packet of montrachet or whatnot will actually cost you less than a bunch of fucking fleischmann's, and the end product will be excellent and drinkable, as opposed to just "cheap buzz"

>> No.369956

>>369928
Yes, I know yeast can only survive up to a certain alcohol concentration (maybe 15% or so?). But this stuff was probably around 3% alcohol, far too low to kill the yeast.

>> No.369959

>>369956
too high sugar concentration can kill off the yeast, you have to add it gradually over time.

>> No.369962

>>369959
I didn't know too much sugar could do that. Didn't think I added *that* much, but that could be the problem.

I'll try again with less/no sugar when my current brewing experiment fails.

>> No.369969

I did something similar once, i had:
25L container, 2kg of cheap sugar, a couple of lemons, baking yeast.
If you boil the sugar with the acid from the lemons you change it in to another form of sugar reducing the stink produced by the yeast.
You can also try building a still and distilling it, which produces a drink that's somewhat like grappa.

>> No.370940

>>369368
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6885

>> No.370957

learn french, travel to normandy (france), take lessons from some local brewer. you'll learn to brew good cider + a nice vacation.

i'm not a drinker but i did enjoy cider over there, especially the doux or douce or however they call it. it was produced by the peoples neighbor among various other alcoholic beverages like liqueurs and the like.

from what i have seen cider is not just fermented apple juice. he used various apples for a starter, not just random apple juice (43 different brands of apples for his locally famous liqueur, dude went crazy with ingredients)

anyway, i would look for some better recipe than "rotting apple juice"

>> No.370986
File: 832 KB, 625x1393, 1333433128745.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.371020

>>370986
What is the purpose of pot number two? If you used Ice water in pot three would that not alleviate the need for pot two?

>> No.371022

>>371020

You need step two. Don't skip or it'll be too hot.

>> No.371023

>>371020
Sorry by pot number two I meant 1st pot and by pot three I meant 2nd pot.

>> No.371026

I have basically everything ready to go to make a bottle of Kilju.
My only concern is temperature.
I live in quite a cold country and my house is always pretty cold.
Will this affect it?

>> No.371049

>>371026
Kilju comes from Finland, which I believe is pretty cold (compared to most places in the US) to begin with. You should be fine if they were. If you're concerned, get some blanketing around your stuff.

>> No.371055

>>371026
If the yeast gets too cold it will not ferment. room temperature should be fine (20-25C).