[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 60 KB, 449x320, baby kubla.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
363372 No.363372 [Reply] [Original]

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to build a raised bed to maximize space in my room, and instead of a mattress I plan to weave a mesh similar to this photo. The space could be as large as 2 meters by 3.7 meters horizontally, and about 6 feet tall (sorry to mix imperial and metric).
Anyways, I have no idea what I'm doing right now, and am trying to research on designs. I want to have proper support so the bed doesn't collapse on me, but at the same time I want to have as little structure near the bottom as possible so as maximize space. Any tips on economical frame support, or any sites that can help me with some plans?
Thanks.

>> No.363373

Oh, and unlike this photo I won't be building this in the floor, just to clarify it will need to stand alone (but wall-to-wall).

>> No.363375

Reminds me of Jamie mantzels house.
3 story "dome" thing where the top floor is a giant trampoline for sleeping and play.
check him out on youtube.
"JMEmantzel"

>> No.363378

>>363375
>JMEmantzel

Ahhh thats the giant spider robot guy.

I was surprised with the videos and what not he didnt attract more tax attention

>> No.363386

op think long and hard before deciding you want this. 'just like a hammock' it is not and you might be surprised how important having an actual surface to your bed is, both for sleeping and myriad other uses. if you need space i'd suggest you consider a traditional butler bed or just a twin bed on an elevated platform (bunk bed with no lower bunk)

>> No.363390

>>363386
I've read that this concept allows for you weight to evening distribute, making for better sleep. At any rate, I'm been sleeping on a very stiff and very small futon for the past 11 months, and before that slept on children's floor mats, not liking the traditionally bed longterm. I think this would be excellent for ventilation and keeping cool (or warm with lots of comforters). As well, I plan to keep my futon below it to have more workin space. I want this bed to be used exclusively for lounging.

>> No.363453

>>363390
no it tends to bring your legs up, which doesn't rest your lower back properly. And if you get a gf? forget about it. You'll never sleep in it together because it's impossible to get comfortable.

Don't forget that your back needs thermal insulation too - arguably more than your belly-side needs it.

>> No.363485

You could just get a hammock. But if saving space is the idea I would make a bunk bed and use the lower section for a desk or something.

>> No.363488

>upper right frame in OP's pick pulling an inch or two away from the wall
2/10 wouldn't bang

>> No.363540
File: 227 KB, 960x720, full_size_loft_bed_ray.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>363372
OP should have a backup plan ready in case a hammock style is not to his liking, especially since back support might be a issue.

Instead, I'd suggest a loft bed, which is the actual term >>363386 and >>363485 mean to use.

>> No.363547

I'd like to point out a few things. one, hammocks are perfectly comfortable to sleep in, if you have a nice wide one and actually know how to sleep in one.

However, that said, what OP is describing, and what is pictured, ARE NOT HAMMOCKS. It's a mesh net, yes, but not all nets are hammocks.

This is supported from all directions and as long as it is fairly taught, any number of designs through history are based on this concept.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as it's well made and you make a good mesh and it's warm in the room at all times. If you get cold, instead of putting anything under you, physically attach a couple of layers of blankets to the under side of the net...preferably with some reflective material at the base. A couple of dollar store sun screens sewn together would work for this.

>> No.363568

It will be kind of uncomfortable unless you get a spliced mesh instead of knotted.

>> No.364297

While I admire your DIY spirit OP you should be aware of one central tenant of engineering. Everything no matter how well built will eventually fail.

I was camping in a hammock one time and the fucker broke on me in the middle of the night. Luckily I had a nice rock there to break my fall. Landed right on my tail bone. Shit was cash.

>> No.364299

>>364297
over-engineer everything. If it's a DIY project, screws and glues are always better than nails. Failsafes should always be put in place.

>> No.364411

>>364297
You over-loaded the weight limit of the Hammock. You didn't use strong enough cordage, or you failed to inspect it for wear and damage before you used it. Or you bought shoddy, inferior materials/product.

In any case, it is purely, 100%, your fault this happened.

>> No.364790

>>364411

Everything manufactured now is shoddy and inferior. Even your education evidently.

>> No.364836

OP, don't do it.
Or if you really, really want to do it, purchase a hammock first.

On a dare, I set up a hammock (without spread bars) in my old dorm room and slept in it for a month.
Awful back pain.

Good luck,

>> No.364845

>>364790
>buys a cheap hammock
>is obese
>didn't take care of hammock
>surprised when it breaks
>someone points this out
>"U R DUM, ERRYTHING IS CHINESE CRAP AND ERRYTHING FAILS, EVEN IF YOU BUILD IT YOURSELF BECAUSE EVEN THEN IT'S MADE IN CHINA HURRDURR"

>> No.364860

>>364790
he actually has a point make sure your buying good cord and materials

>> No.364865

>>364790
>>364860
Sometimes. There is good quality stuff, yah just gotta look over the item in question, be patient, basically inspect and think vs "I'MA BUY THAT THING CAUSE I SAW IT YAAYYYYY"
Though sleepin in a hammock can cause backpains, it looks like the one in image is more of a tight cargo net whatnot. Dunno how it would be for long term.
Basically, do yer research. Perhaps a foldin bunk maybe better.

>> No.365543
File: 177 KB, 1280x960, 082812161257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>363372
OP, you might be able to build a simple frame out of pipe. I built this bed frame (pic related) a few months ago and I love it. It's just a rectangle with legs held together with four speed rail fittings, upon which I placed the wooden platform that holds my mattress. You could just stretch your net across the frame instead of the platform/mattress bit.

Worth considering because it's rock solid with just one fitting at each corner, you can scale it pretty much as big as you like by getting longer pipes, it's cheap to affordable depending on whether you can get scrap pipe for free or not, and if you hate it in a month, it'll take two minutes to tear down and store.

>> No.365547

that image is insane

>> No.365796

>>364790
Oh burn. I've been using the same Hammock for the last several years, I'm 6'2 and 220lbs. It hasn't given me a single problem.

Though yes, my education was pretty shitty. Thank you, American educational system.

>>364836
sleeping in a hammock and sleeping in OP's concept won't feel even close to the same. Sleeping in a hammock installed by someone who doesn't know how a hammock should be slept in for comfort is also not going to provide the best results.

>>365543
At the heights OP is dealing with, he's going to need at least one angle brace on the piping. Though if he did it against a wall, that wouldn't be a huge deal.

>> No.365871

>>365543
I agree with >>365796
That bed frame needs bracing. It would not withstand any sexytime...

>> No.366003

>>365796
I find it ironic that had that hammock been manufactured in America he likely wouldn't have had any trouble, but had your education been anywhere but America you would have been much better off. It's a wonder that America shy's away from manual labor and production of their own, seems to be one of the few things we're good at.

>> No.366021

>>365543
I was considering getting a bedframe or getting some milk crates it also, but I will check out this pipe frame...
but I'd think it need more support legs then that.

>> No.366059

>>366003
Hell, man, I had a better education in first and second grade than I did exiting 4'th...I was home schooled, and I was proper proper cursive and handwriting. I could do math, spell, and draw. The first year of public school pretty much fucked the whole thing up.

Yeah, my hammock is actually just a chunk of nylon parachute fabric, bounded in. It can support 350lbs, and it's never given me a problem.