[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 44 KB, 600x450, diy[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
36002 No.36002 [Reply] [Original]

Hello fellow /diy/ers. I don't know how well this idea will go over, or if it will work at all, but it seems worth a try.

I've noticed a lot of threads on this board started by "newer" diy-ers that have questions regarding either simple repairs or builds (desks, stuff like that.) It seems that some of them are held back by either a lack of tools or experience. Without the proper tools, simple tasks can be arduous and nigh-impossible. (I can remember a couple of times when I thought "my kingdom for a table saw") And if you're short on funds, messing up the only $100 you had to spend on a project can set you back quite a bit.

That being said, I know a number of us here have been at it for a while, and probably have better outfitted workshops and probably a bunch of leftover materials that are waiting for a project. Heck, even work/storage space can be an issue for some. The purpose of this thread is to connect those of us in a position to help another with those that need help. If you're willing to help, post a general location, what tools you have and a way to contact you. If you have a project you need help with, post what you're looking to do and what you need help with. Keep in mind, the idea here isn't charity (so no "lol I need $$$ to maek things.")

Also, I'm sure some of us that have expertise/tools related to one area might lack in another. If you're looking for some work done in one trade, and willing to trade work in another trade, post here too.

Hopefully this thread works out.

>MY INFO
>Tulsa, OK
>Have Chop/mitre saw, table saw, router, sander, jig saw, sawzall, miscellaneous hand tools and lots of wood scrap, stain, varnish and paint leftovers.
>mail is onetwoonetwo@gmail.com put "diy" in subject since this email gets lots of spam.

>> No.36016

bump 1/3

>> No.36019

Well i guess i will not help anyone as i live in a middle of nowhere. At least i can serve You with a polite bump.

>> No.36032

>Stourbridge, UK.
>Have chainsaw, table saw, jig saw, hand tools, drills and bits, paints and varnishes, plumbing materials, agricultural machinery, rotivators, bushwacker/strimmer, gardening tools.

>> No.36040

great thread idea. bump for you, though I don't have much to contribute.

I have a side project/ tabletop crafting business. jewelry and stationary mostly. not fully self-employed, but on the road to it. I would love to get back into silversmithing, anyone in the Minneapolis area have access to such equipment? I'd love to make some more crafty connections in general..

>> No.36051

>>36032
>>36040
>>36019

Thanks for the bumps guys. If you guys have an anon email someone could reach you at you might want to post it; this being a slower board, if this thread takes it off it will likely be here hours after we've left.

>> No.36070

this is a really shitty idea for a thread
no one is going to live near each other AND actually meet up
it'd be better just to make a thread about tools and their uses

>> No.36075

>>36070
Or as a general guide to tools and tool purchases.

>> No.36085

I possess all the average woodworking tools, and automotive tools you can think of.

Specialty tools I own:
>12 ton hydraulic press
>Mazda rotary clutch & flywheel service kit
>Mazda rotary engine stand adapter
>Clarke 125EN welder, w/ argon-CO2
>Motion Pro motorcycle chain service kit

>> No.36095
File: 24 KB, 457x457, 1287380172165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>36070

Maybe. I think there's at least a decent chance of people meeting up; letting someone use your saw for an hour or giving them a half-quart of unused paint isn't exactly a big commitment, after all.

>> No.36101

>4chan
>giving my address
NOPE!

>> No.36107

>>36101
>going to someone house when they've just told you have a 10ft axe.

>> No.36105

>>36101
this

>> No.36109

>>36107
good thing they couldn't swing it for shit

>> No.36117 [DELETED] 

>>36101
>>36105
>>36107

>"way to contact you" = street address
>implying you should meet up no questions asked, in the middle of the night, alone

>> No.36123

>>36101
>>36105
>>36107

You could always, ya know, use a throwaway email and talk to people first to see if they're legit.

>> No.36141

I like this idea. there's quite a few projects i've wanted to dive into but dont have the resources to do so.

Project: Build a custom arcade cabinet complete with 4 player controller layout (arcade joystick style)

It will house a computer with [hopefully custom build interface] a collection of emulators of all forms (nes/gb/gba/sega/dreamcast/n64/arcade/playstation/etc/etc/etc) with a HUGE library of games (every game for every system i can get my hands on)

it will incorporate up to 4 controllers for each system ontop of the arcade sticks. if you wanted to play mortal kombat 2, sega version, you can pull out a pair of sega controllers from the arcade cabinet and play it just like you would a sega. the idea is to have every game you could imagine with exact comfort match controller wise.

Looking for: Someone with basic/intermediate woodworking tools:
-table saw
-bandsaw (i think thats what its called...)
-other saw related items
-power tools would be of use

Bonus areas:
-knowledge of wood crafting would be a plus. I'm intermediate in the area
-electronic wiring would be a bonus. I am novice at this
-computer savvy would be a bonus. I am an expert at this.

What I can offer:

-labor for labor. I am a computer technician, will be happy to supply free labor on anything you might need help with (network drops, running cable, computer repair, etc etc) in return for help on the project and use of your tools

-parts for parts: I have multiple laptops and desktops on the low, mid, and high range values, I would be willing to trade parts/desktops/laptops in return for materials required in this project (mostly wood, paint, etc) and/or assistance in the project

I have experience in this type of area and your tools will not be in danger of damage, "you break you buy" will be the policy for letting me borrow your tools.

reply in thread with email to contact you if interested

>> No.36146

>>36141

city?

>> No.36156

>>36146
>>36141

Crap...sorry lol

Houston, Texas

if anyone has any interest i'd be game to help build you one as well, we could easily build both at once

>> No.36169

Sometimes i hate living in russia

>> No.36177

>>36070
is right
>>36095
It sounds like a bad idea and this is probably the worst way to do it anyway, just posting your general area and an email adress? People will just sign you up for random spam and if anyone does contact you it will be to get your address for lulz.

Decent idea? Perhaps.
On 4chan? lolno

>> No.36180

>>36156

shoot me an email (onetwoonetwo@gmail.com); the in-laws just moved there from allen and we're going down there in a couple of weeks to help them with the new house. I don't know when exactly I'll be there, but if you still need help I'll have my saws with me and should have at least enough time to cut your cabinet sides for you.

Also if you're making it out of mdf, I would suggest making a square out of pressure-treated 2x4 or 2x6 at the bottom inside of the mdf so that the mdf sits ~1/4" off the floor, that way if water pools on the floor it won't get drawn up to the mdf and your mdf won't swell. Or you could buy plastic feet, but you're probably going to want something other than the mdf to attach them to.

>> No.36186 [DELETED] 

>>36177

>my email is onetwoonetwo@gmail.com, not my primary email
>sign me up for all the spam you want
>or construct an elaborate story to get my address so people can send me pizza I didn't order, I guess

>> No.36189 [DELETED] 
File: 62 KB, 920x657, Rechargable Lamp..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know where to buy those solar panels that are in those side-walk lamps that illuminate during the night? So far it seems I'll have to rip one out of one of the lamps. But is there a way to buy the little panel separately?

I'm gonna try to make this as my first project.

>> No.36212

This is not the stupidest thread idea ever.

I do everything myself if possible, and have loads of tools and experience. I'm also not a creepy oldfaggot - 29 y/old - not that all oldfags are creepy. Anyway, I'm in Ogden UT, and I have many hand tools, both for woodworking and mechanical. I tend to do more in the way of house repairs and house gadgets (just made a magazine rack for each of my bathrooms) than anything else, though I also fuck around with rifles and automobiles a little.

Oh, and I'm not LDS, nor am I anti-LDS. Living in Utah, seems necessary to make that clear.

Added my email. I'm not terrified of allowing an internet person to use my tools or space, but if you're a massive nutjob and scare my gf, I'll not be inviting you back.

>> No.36216
File: 62 KB, 750x621, water-filtration-systems.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>36002
How about instead of the A/S/L bullshit they do on boards like /b/ and /adv/, we could have threads for T/S/L (Tools/Skills/Location) I'll start.

T = All your basic power tools and hand tools
S = Advanced water systems technology (plumbing, filtration, purification, delivery systems). Some automated systems control and chemistry. Basic electrical, automotive and rough-carpentry skills.
L = S.E. Michigan, Detroit area.

>> No.36232

>>36216

I like the T/S/L idea, makes sense for the board.

>> No.36236

Hey DIY I'm a lumberyard fag ive been working in the business for 5 years and will eventually be inheriting about five lumberyard and hardware stores anyways if anyone has questions about DIY projects regarding houses/ roofs/ decks ask here, btw best power tools for wood working - festools look them up basically the Mercedes Benz of tools :)

>> No.36250

>>36232
Let's spread the word

>> No.36256

>>36216

I also approve of the t/s/l idea.

I am a cabinetmaker, I have just about all the tools required for cabinet making, just missing an edgebander and a cnc machine.

/s/...I have skills in both residential and commercial millwork,with metals, plastic laminates, wood, acrylics, fabrics, glass.

I live in southern Ontario Canada.

>> No.36258

>>36236
I'm in the process of buying a small 2 story home (820 sq ft). But the roof is fucked pretty bad. How much can I expect to pay for a "worst case scenario" roof rebuild for a home of that size?

>> No.36266

>>36256
Where in S. Ontario? Anywhere near Windsor?

>> No.36269
File: 90 KB, 492x600, 1319233525183.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

4chan:
>area code hookup
>anyone know where I can buy weed in X city
>fight/fuck/smoke if you live near each other
>I'm looking for a hooker in X city, plz don't be police kthnx

hey guys I have some tools, post if you need tools or want to help with tools
>no way brah its too risky

>> No.36273

>>36258

Is it just the shingles and the osb/plywood underneath, or is it worse than that? If it's just shingles and osb/plywood couple grand tops. (assuming it's asphalt 3-tab)

>> No.36280

>>36269
>no way brah its too risky

FYI, among the tools I own are pistols, semi-auto rifles, shotguns, mace, knives and blades of all kinds, tasers etc.

Internet strangers are welcome to use my crafting tools, and I will use my self defense tools to protect my property and my persons.

>> No.36286

>>36273
not sure yet, but from my first look it seems like just the shingles and plywood. The framing and trusses are (hopefully) sound.

>> No.36297

>>36286

Probably a couple grand then. You might consider adding additional turbines and taking a look at your pluming vents too to see if they need any updating, get it all out of the way at the same time.

>> No.36312

>>36297
Awesome, thanks! That is definitely within my price range. One last question; I forgot to ask about weather/temperature requirements. Can this be accomplished in cold weather? I probably wont take ownership of this home until late November and It will be plenty cold, if not snowing by then.

Thanks for the adv.

>> No.36319

>>36312

I know that they can do it in cold weather, not sure if it affects price though. I would call 3 or 4 roofers and see what they think, estimates should be free. If you don't have any leaks and you don't think you're in danger of having your roof cave in you could put it off til spring/summer if it's cheaper.

>> No.36337

>>36319
Awesome. Thanks again. All of this is good news. The roof wont collapse, but there is a chance of the dining room ceiling caving in over the winter/ spring, but I will be replacing that myself anyway since it looks completely shot from rain damage. There is only one major leak and it is coming from the shingles/flashing around a gabled window. Hopefully it hasn't done any serious damage to the trusses in that area.

>> No.36361

>>36337

As a measure to stop that until the roof can be properly fixed you can go get some cold ap roofing cement and slather it on there. Don't worry about applying too much.

>> No.36408

bump 2/3