[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 9 KB, 259x194, nopoo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
355534 No.355534 [Reply] [Original]

Sup, /diy/

So, how many of you no poo?

shampoo- 1tbs baking soda + 1cup water
conditioner- 1tbs apple cider vinegar + 1cup water

or, any variation if this.

I have been doing it for two weeks and it works just as well as regular shampoo/conditioner. Way cheaper, too.

>> No.355538

I stopped using shampoo altogether and started just giving my scalp a good deep massage and scrub with hot water. At first the oil did build up, but after about a week or two later it diminished and my head found its natural balance.

My hair never looked or felt better, and I barely use any product to style it anymore.

>> No.355542

>>355538
I think i might try this over christmas break.

Did you use anything as a dry shampoo inbetween washes to deal with a little of the grease?

>> No.355544

>>355542
Nah. Nothing at all. The oil build up wasn't even that bad.. I scrubbed my hair thoroughly until I could hear it squeak when I pulled on it.

>> No.355552

>>355534
It's funny this came up on here, a girl I know who is a hairdresser went on a long rant about people who do this. Apparently it's shit.

Mind you she was talking about women's hair, which is generally longer, so maybe it's alright for short hair.

>> No.355554

>>355538
this

some technological achievements mankind has produced DO in fact make life easier. modern medicine is one of these. shampoos however are pointless unless you think you would rather damage your hair to achieve a certain style. your scalp produces enough oil to moisturize your head and if it doesnt, you get a rx, not the otc crap you find in walmart or spend ungodly amounts of money on at a salon.

i stopped using product in my hair and after a year i have soft, silky hair, no dandruff, and no hair loss.

>> No.355556

the oil in your natural hair is good. it may look like shit if it builds up, but it's there for a reason: to protect your hair and scalp.

shampoo is pretty harsh and strips your hair of those natural oils and the point of no poo is to quit using the chemicals that make your hair and scalp bone dry. no, conditioner is not as good as ur natural oils.

baking soda basically does the same thing to your hair as poo and you might as well use poo instead.

>> No.355557

>>355552
>a girl I know who is a hairdresser

women are idiots and will spend thousands of dollars on hair products.

heat treatment? ironing? all that shit hairstylists do actually harms your hair. she's been paid to accept brainwashing from whatever salon she works at/school she went to (lol, hairstyling school)

until she becomes a doctor or wakes up from her delusional female logical fallacy coma, will never understand the superficial horseshit they perpetuate (hair, skin, botox, plastic surgery, nails, etc) is really just time spent injecting and smothering unnecessary chemicals inside and all over your body

>> No.355558

>>355552
I'm sure those women don't clean it well enough.. I can only imagine how long it'd take, especially just starting out when the build up is at its worse

>> No.355601

>>355538
Tell me more. What's your daily routine like? How long is this hair of yours? And how do you stop your hair from smelling?

>> No.355616

>shut-ins giving personal hygiene tips
no thanks

>> No.355618

I tried not using shampoo for a while and just washing my hair with conditioner or just water.
I always get dandruff unfortunately.

>> No.355700

>>355554
but shampoo costs like $5 and lasts at least half a year for me.

the money you spend "deep massaging" and compensating for the emulsion-abilities of soap will rack up the water bill unless you have a flat rate for water.

>> No.355737

Havent used shampoo in 8 months. hair is great, after 2 weeks, its not greasy anymore. For the first month wash with baking soda like every 5 days or so, then just as needed. The longer you go without washing it, the less you neeed to.

Currently i put a bit of tea tree oil in a cup, put a little bit of water in with it, and then rub it into my scalp in the shower. Makes me smell good and eliminates dandruff

>> No.355766

>>355601
unless you have an scalp infection or something hair will not smell nasty if properly rinsed occasionally. if you are intent on using fragrance, try wearing flowers in your hair while you are not in public (or if you are in public and dont give a fuck) a strong flower will spread its aroma through your hair.

>> No.355944

>>355700
>but shampoo costs like $5 and lasts at least half a year for me.

The point is, harsh chemicals completely stripping the oils from your head is bad. Then taking conditioner to fix the damage you are doing to your scalp and hair, its becomes less about the 5$.

Conditioners also clog your pores in your scalp
When you have the oil stripped and the pores clogged, your scalp goes into overdrive and secretes oil like crazy

Thats why people get into this horrible cycle where if you dont thoroughly shampoo every single day, you hair gets extremely greasy

I shampoo lightly once a week (or if I get oil or something in it).
Im sure there are healthy and non damaging shampoos out there, celebrities arent using head and shoulders.
I have a feeling they are stupid expensive and hard to find

>> No.355947
File: 2 KB, 209x214, 453236354265.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>355538
>I stopped using shampoo altogether; My hair never looked or felt better

This.
>hardly ever use shampoo, maybe twice a month, usually just kinda rinse it out.
>Always regret shampooing it because it makes my hair all fucking poofy because there's no oil to weigh it down
>mfw the lady I go to get it trimmed every now and then says I have the healthiest, strongest hair she's ever seen
It also cured my dandruff.