[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 431 KB, 896x3147, 1352349293071.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
350854 No.350854 [Reply] [Original]

Robot building is a interest of mine, but I have no idea how to get started. I'm buying a 3d printer next year, so would that be worth waiting for?

Also info thread

>> No.350861

learn electronics, software, and prototyping / manufacturing methods

>> No.350871

Get an Arduino now, and either a project book or some online guides. Once you get your 3d printer you can print robot parts.

>> No.350877
File: 167 KB, 1024x685, aluhex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Robotics is pretty much just a bunch of other skills smooshed together.

Most people specialize pretty heavily, even at the hobby level, just because it isn't practical to be an expert in everything.

If you are interested in software you could just buy a kit like this:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/03/19/parallax-boebot-robot-for-arduino-kit-video/

If you are interested in mechanical, remote control/non-autonomous stuff might be more appropriate.

>> No.350896

if you're totally new to the thing, you could get a LEGO NXT (Mindstorms)

>> No.350932

B.E.A.M. robotics.

>> No.350974

I suggest that you familiarize yourself with some 3D CAD software like Inventor, if you haven't already. It'll definitely help in making a model of the chassis for your robot, and you can even do some stress analysis on it to make sure that nothing will warp or break. Also, you most likely need it for that 3D printer.

You can get an educational version of Inventor for free. The only difference between that and the professional version is that it puts a watermark on everything.