[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 120 KB, 480x640, Bone Cancer ;D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
339519 No.339519 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any laws in the US about owning an electromagnetic railgun? Like a really big one?

Picture unrelated

>> No.339521

>>339519
At the very least AlGore will beat a path to your door & proclaim you to be the antichrist

>> No.339537
File: 1.29 MB, 158x129, nope.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>339519
>pic
>cranial cancer
>thousands of growing bone shards needling their way into your flesh, skin, brain, and eyes

>> No.339551
File: 18 KB, 344x345, 1305992072096.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The navy has one in dev

It still doesn't work right and requires too much power, which is fine as they have nuclear reactors just for the ship.

I don't think so in your case as they create less power than an air rifle for your intended effect

>> No.339563

>>339551
>The navy has one in dev

American naval railguns are researched, designed and manufactured by British company BAE systems.

The same company that is working on stealth tanks and pulsed magnetic shielding.

>> No.339565

>>339563

All a said is the navy had one

>> No.339568

Not really. Go ahead and build it, you wouldn't be the first to do so.

>> No.339578

>>339565
No dude you mentioned the military and America so you have to be beat down by "facts" because of your freedoms and you must be a fat idiot with your right to bare hamburgers and eat cheese guns.

>>339519
incredibly smart people have been working decades with millions of dollars constantly being spent to try to get a working one. if you can somehow make a working one that's actually useful then you'll be rich.

>> No.339580

>>339578

I am in the uk

I never mentioned the military or America

All I said was the Navy

>> No.339583

>>339578
>No dude you mentioned the military and America so you have to be beat down by "facts" because of your freedoms and you must be a fat idiot with your right to bare hamburgers and eat cheese guns.

Wow, you are an assuming-retard. Congrats on looking like an idiot.

>> No.339589

>>339580
>I am in the uk

Then you should have said Royal Navy.

>> No.339591
File: 3 KB, 126x105, tooe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>339589

They when I post something

I should also state to everyone

That I am going to the royal post office, Instead of post office

pleb

>> No.339596

>>339591
Yes, but once the service is privatised you will no longer need to do that.

>> No.339597
File: 8 KB, 493x402, 1345359419116.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>339596

no-one ever says the royal post office in the first place

>> No.339602

>>339597
Well it's been part of the royal service since the 1600's.

So really they should do!

>> No.339606
File: 12 KB, 210x200, 1337815305693.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>339602

If they weren't crap

Then people would

>> No.339687

Don't build a mother fucking rail GUN. Build a kinetic suborbital launch system. Get into amateur rocketry. Those guys have a lot of powerful friends and will lawyer you though any legal problems you encounter.

FYI don't piss them off. Don't tell them your making a weapon, act like you want to someday launch small shit into space with it. You will have to fire it at sanctioned events which have FAA clearance.

>> No.340082
File: 38 KB, 300x300, 1352801052025.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>339551
through
>>339606

good show chaps

>> No.340113

>>339519
not on the federal level; BATF regulations only cover "firearms" and (through a series of contorted laws from 75 years ago) silencers. The technical definition of a firearm that they use,,,, is that it is a device which propels a projectile by means of a combustible fuel. Any sort of electromagnetic device would not qualify. Flamethrowers don't even qualify, quite surprisingly.

It is possible (though unlikely) that states or smaller bodies of government could have regulations over such a device.

>> No.340117

>>340113
I don't think it needs to be said, but you make it sound as if flamethrowers aren't illegal because they don't fit under the definition of firearm. This of course isn't the case.

Read into the local law regarding firearms, any written law that forbids something contains what they define the weapon as, so even though on the federal level the law includes combustable fuel the definition that applies to you may be different.

An example of this is that I live in Texas, and in Texas you are allowed to carry a knife as long as it is deemed small enough to not cause serious injury to someone, which is odd because you could royally fuck someone up with a god damn swiss army knife in my opinions. However the state of Texas defines it as up to a 5 1/2 in blade.

Another example of differing definitions is that in the county I live in it is illegal to bring firearms to a public park. The given definition of a firearm (though I don't remember the actual wording) includes airsoft guns.

Read into your local laws dude, we can't give you all the answers just from you telling us you are in the US.

>> No.340118

>>340117
Also I am not sure, as you are not asking how to construct it, but I believe this constitutes a weapon, and may violate rule 3. Although it is merely weapon discussion, that is still meant for /k/ not /diy/.
Hope I could help.

>> No.340359

No, you won't get into any trouble for building one. At least, not in the united states.
For my senior science fair, I built a coilgun (similar in type to a railgun, uses a coil to accelerate a magnetic bullet with a magnetic field). I didn't go to jail for it, on the contrary, I won first prize and an internship.
Believe it or not, people actually respect diy engineering.

As for the practical: Building a "really big" railgun will prove difficult for you unless you have a lot of disposable income.
The way a railgun works (you probably know this already), is you have a pair of parallel rails connected to a large source of energy through which your projectile is accelerated. Magnetic forces cause it to accelerate. This energy source is most often a capacitor bank, and this is where you will end up dumping your money into. Capacitors, good ones, aren't cheap, and you'll need a lot of them.
Another issue you'll have is the rails. Your expensive oxygen-free copper rails will be eroded away after a time, quicker if you make mistakes with timing. Plasma pressure might destroy your gun. This is a problem for the Navy, too.
Finally, don't expect to come up with a railgun rifle you can carry around. This thing's going to be bulky and power-hungry.

Here's a website that will help you in your research: http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun2.htm
Happy /diy/ing.

>> No.340383

>>339578
>>Working railguns have already been built and tested.