[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3 KB, 120x120, 120px-Screw_Head_-_Spanner.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
338579 No.338579 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, I've got a fan in my room that I'm unable to change any speed settings one. The dial started to go a bit funny a few weeks ago but yesterday it completely came out.

I've tried to take the casing off the fan, all but 2 of the screws were just normal flathead-screwdriver ones, but there's 2 left in there.

They look like pic related, but the dots would actually be lines that extend all the way out of the screw, leaving metal still in the middle (so a normal screwdriver won't do the trick).

I've never seen anything like it before, I'm wondering what I can use to try and get it out.

Any suggestions?

>> No.338587
File: 302 KB, 1596x1192, HaIFixedIt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>338579
This or carve up a spare flathead's heat to make something that will work. I've done both in a pinch. You can even make your own security heads using nails. Just cold peen them into the general shape then use a Dremel or a metal file to shape it further/dress it up then a torch or gas/electric burner cap to heat treat it. You can also super glue/epoxy the flat head of a nail to it then break the nail off the screw once you are done.

Or, you can be a buyfag and buy a big security driver set. You're not a buy fag are you?