[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 77 KB, 500x332, tumblr_lmejx6MUy41qc3c2to1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
332055 No.332055 [Reply] [Original]

help me build a vegetable patch. I want to make it look like a farm too. I erected a fence, I made my own gate and now I need to grow some fucking food. the patch is 3 meter * 4 meter i think so I got the room. How should I prepare the soil, what's the best way to make a growing bed. What fucking food should I grow?
Im in Australia so it's almost summer

>> No.332093

>>332055

fucking bump cuz it's a fucking good question.

>> No.332116

>acting like a shit cunt
>cant use google

get a load of this shit cunt

>> No.332120

fertilize soil, plant stuff, water it

>> No.332124

>>332055
>What fucking food should I grow?

Make a list of the top ten foods you like to eat. Look up their recipes. Take note of all the vegetables/fruit used to make these dishes. Then see if you can attain these and grow them.

Example, spaghetti sauce,

Tomatoes
Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus)
Onions
Garlic
Oregano
Parsley
Carrots
etc.

Recipes differ radically so choose the ones closest to your tastes. Then grow those items.

>How should I prepare the soil,

That depends on the soil. Is it sandy, more clay like, or thick with humus? Each needs something added to bring it to a middle ground. Like for where I live there's clay-based soil and it needs lots of sand, manure, and yard waste to get it really nice.

>what's the best way to make a growing bed

For raised beds you can go cheap and use wood, which will last a few seasons. You can go a bit less cheap and use stone, brick, or block which will last a life time. There are several other raised bed methods too. I prefer stone, brick, and/or block because it is easier to sit on while working.

Check out "Square Foot Gardening" method and "Companion Planting" method.

>> No.332162

you should have figured out what to plant at the start of spring
aside from that my favorit plant and method is potatos whatever kind get your potato seeds or chop up sprouting potatoes with some rooting hormone on the cut sides get a big bucket with with dirt and seeds , assuming the potatoes didnt die at the end of summer tip your bucket out and retrive your potatoes ,best part is you still got all that room in your garden for other shitlike tomatoes

>> No.332174

>>332124
Good idea for which plants to grow - I went a different route with mine:

What's expensive/low-quality/whatever in stores that you could do better at home? In my garden, peas, tomatoes, and squash (winter AND summer) grow really, really well. The peas are expensive as fuark in store, tomatoes taste like trash in store, and squash is just fun to grow. So I really focus on those 3 (at least 75% of the total area) with some herbs/whatever else on the side.

Oh, and compost. It's easy. And it smells great once it's done. Do it.

>> No.332222

Look up 'Square Foot Gardening'.

Instead of sowing loads of seeds in rows and weeding out to get the spread correct, you greenhouse the shoots, then plant them in raised beds, in plots measured by square feet.

So instead of trying to emulate large scale industrial farming, you get way more yield from the same space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening

And use this, or something like it to schedule when to plant and harvest.

http://www.smartgardener.com/

>> No.332291
File: 70 KB, 460x339, 5532417_460s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>332174
This is also my rule of thumb. I fill my vegetable patch with produce that's cheaper to grow than to buy it. A few exceptions are made for quality (tomatoes for example), because their store-bought counterparts 'taste like trash' as the other gentleman put it.

Also, your soil is everything. Texture, nutrients, moisture retention, temperature. Getting this right is 90% of the work imho.