[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 294 KB, 1600x1200, fags324.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
33048 No.33048 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/
How come there isnt a good smoke grenade stuff yet? Im not even talking just about /diy/, but like even the military grade stuff seems just so... slow?
So, how could it be improved, how to get a fucking wall of thick smoke in mere seconds?

>> No.33055

>>33048
make the hole in the middle of the smoke mixture bigger
more surface area= more smoke faster.

>> No.33113

I dont know a shit about chemistry and the likes, but if there was something that reacted with air and somehow produced somesort of smoke/fog from it = instant smoke screen.

But, im a retard with no knowledge, so fuck that.

>> No.33117

Use more than one. Problem solved. They don't use them for cover anyways they use them to mark their position.

>> No.33120

>>33113

Maybe silicon tetrachloride and ammonia.
Poorfag imitation: hydrochloric acid and ammonia solution.

>> No.33127

>>33120
this will kill you. please only do it if you want to commit suicide in a very slow and painful manner.

>> No.33138

>>33113
You would need to somehow get pure carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, or methane gas to get that effect.

>>33127
Thanks for the warning.

Also, OP, use like 3 parts potassium nitrate, 1 part sugar. Make the hole bigger.

>> No.33192

That pic in op isnt mine, i havent tried to do anything smoke related yet. This idea just came to my mind from watching videos, smoke grenades aint good enough.
Patent a good idea from /diy/ = Profit

Captcha: war brotec

>> No.33198

>>33113
White phosphorus. they use it in military grade smoke grenades. a small charge spread the WP which react with the water in the air. It bonds so much water it's volume increases like 5 times or something like that. look it up, my memory could be weak.

OnT: when I played around with pyro I made my smoke bombs with KNO3, sugar and some paraffin(regular wax candles). don't remember the ratios but I'm sure theres something about it if you google it.

>> No.33208

>>33198
The paraffin sublimates instead of burning and creates a rather thick fog.

>> No.33287
File: 495 KB, 990x2218, Smoke Grenade+.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.33391

>>33048

I use a common 30/70 sugar-KNO3 mix but if you mix carbon (charcoal) it gets faster. You could try some iron oxide as well, maybe sulfur.

Also, kinda offtopic, but someone has the problem of the KNO3-sugar mix starts to "leak" water? I have to put it on a air-sealed container or on 1 day it gets fuc*** weak.

>> No.33411

>>33287

Nice, that will be useful. :D

Thanks alot.

>> No.33413

>>33287
Have to ask before i start this
is it legal to do that?

>> No.33480

hey OP, Gil here, I used to make smoke bombs in middle school using a random online recipe that I found. It's the simple sugar + Potassium Nitrate combination found around the web, the ratio was 4 parts sugar, and 6 parts Potassium Nitrate, (2:3 obviously), this mixture burns incredibly fast when just lit by itself.

The smoke grenade DIY guides such as the one posted in this thread direct you to using a canister of some sort that allows a more controlled burn therefore causing the reaction to go slower, useful for situations like in airsoft/paintball battles or things like that, however if you are looking for a near instantaneous release of very thick smoke, do not build it into a container.

Simply take your KNO3 and your Sugar and mix them as the guide says, but do not add the baking soda (I never did, so I don't know what the effects of adding it are) and simply light that block of hardened compound on fire, and step back quickly. Don't do this on grass or anything that will catch on fire because it burns VERY fast and VERY hot.

>> No.33481

>>33480

Cont.

When I used to make this stuff, the rule of thumb was that 1 pound would create enough smoke to cover a city block, burn time for that amount was about 5-10 seconds. I used to make 2 lb blocks of the stuff and cover my entire street during 4th of July and new years as well as other random holidays.

BTW if you can't find cheap KNO3 around, you can always buy powder form "stump remover" from walmart, that's how I made my bombs, the percentage of KNO3 in a batch of that stuff was something like 95% KNO3 or more. It used to cost about 5 dollars or so for 1.5 lbs from my local walmart, sugar was a little less, I think. I am sure you could go to a dollar store or discount place (big lots, etc.) and find cheaper amounts of the stump remover...

anyway, just be safe, remember that stuff burns really hot, really fast and once you light it, your committing to a rather large smoke bomb, you won't be able to put it out at all, I always used to light it on concrete to be safe...

btw, I never used a fuse if anything I would just set it down and put a flame on it for a few seconds

>> No.33587
File: 265 KB, 1200x800, IMG_1976c2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>33391

A quick photo of that sugar-KNO3-charcoal. The proportion it's bad, so it can be much more stronger.

>> No.33645

hey /diy/ckhead you COULD JUST TAKE A PING PONG BALL WRAPPED IN FOIL AND LIGHT IT ON FIRE YO! WHATCHU DOOOOON YO!?