[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 196 KB, 400x400, 1349719360575.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
315857 No.315857 [Reply] [Original]

I saw an info pic on brewing my own Cider about a week ago. Unfortunately I didn't save it. Could someone post -any- home brewing infopics/helpful information? It's something I would really like to get into.

>> No.315871

Just bumping. BUmp bump bumping.

>> No.315872 [DELETED] 

>>315857

OP, I can help you with beer. I work at a home brew store. What do you want to know?

>> No.315873 [DELETED] 
File: 68 KB, 347x700, cider.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i dont recommend making cider this way, but that's just me.

>> No.315880
File: 77 KB, 850x768, STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>315873
Damn it, stop posting that shitty image.

>> No.315882

This is the cheap-o way to brew some cheap alcohol.
I made 2 gallons of hard cider and have 1 and a half left, I can give you my crappy non-brewer store instructions. (He's obviously going to give you alot more sanitary instructions to ensure you don't just make vinegar)

Take a gallon of apple juice, NATURAL, not from concentrate, boil like 3-4 cups of sugar into it so you get more alcohol, then pour it back into the gallon jug.

Take a packet of yeast, brewers yeast if you can find it but likely you're just a poorfag so dry yeast would work. Activate it in water (should have instructions on the packet) then pour it all in once the apple juice isn't scalding hot (so the yeast isn't hurt/whatever)

Now take the cap, drill or poke about 3 holes in it, ideally as big as a pencil.
(This is VERY important becuase if you don't leave any way for the air to escape your gallon is going to explode and you're going to have a bigass mess.)
Now take the bottle, fold a paper towel in half and place it on top, then take the holed cap and screw it back on to the jug over the paper towel. This is so air can get out but bugs and shit can't get in.
You could also take a balloon, poke a pinhole or few in it and stretch the neck over the top of the bottle.

Either way, now you have a bottle filled with sweeter apple juice and yeast with a cap/balloon on it. Let that sit for 1 or 2 weeks, then pour the juice out taking care not to disturb the yeast. (Your cider IS drinkable at this point)

>> No.315883

You want to pour the juice out and not let all the dead/inactive yeast get into the new bottle. You can leave it in the new bottle (with the hole cap/balloon too) or wash the old bottle out and pour it back in.
Either way at this point you're just letting it sit so all the yeast settles etc. repeat until it's at a desirable level of clearness.

tip: brew like 2 gallons or more at a time. it's just more lenient in case you spill some/want to drink some so you always have a full gallon. sometimes brewing can get messed up

>> No.315885

>>315880
hey guy i more or less did this and have alcohol so I don't know what kind of 'troll' image that shit is. Either way you're changing sugar into alcohol

I know the PROPER way you end up with WINE etc. but this is just for making alcohol

>> No.315886

>>315880

When I made cider I heated 3 gallons of real apple cider, (non-alcoholic, it's the dark brown stuff), and added a couple pounds of table sugar. I added cinnamon, nutmeg and clove and then combined that with 2 more gallons of cold cider in a glass carboy. I also pitched with Wyeast Cider yeast...not bread yeast.

It turned out pretty well, would do it again but I like drinking beer more. OP, if you want to make cider because you think it's less complicated than beer, trust me you can make a good beer, it's simple with the right equipment.

>> No.315887

>>315886

Also make sure the juice you're getting absolutely does not contain potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite. All of it is required to be pasteurized, so that's fine.

>> No.315894

>>315882

Dry brewing yeast does not have to be reactivated. It's ready to pitch in to the fermentor as is because the cell count is much higher than liquid & they already have proteins present that allow them to make alcohol. Look into yeasts like Nottingham and Saf-04

Also, I really would recommend on getting a reliable thermometer. The liquid needs to be under 90 degrees F before you pitch the yeast.

>> No.316010
File: 36 KB, 460x345, 57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]