[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 19 KB, 350x472, pruno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
305778 No.305778 [Reply] [Original]

is it true that i can make prison wine with juice and sugar? can someone clarify this for me

>> No.305783

>/diy/ - Survival and Brewing

>> No.305784
File: 77 KB, 850x768, STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>305778
Prison wine is called, "Pruno" and does not normally use sugar. It uses left over fruit and food and uses old bread for the yeast source. It smells nasty and tastes worse. It is like a vomit that can get you drunk.

Juice and sugar "wine" is is "hobo wine." When talking about quick and cheap wine. There are some pretty good tasting hobo wines too. Essentially, a hobo wine is a type of country wine/fruit wine.

>> No.305792

>>305784
There are naturally-occurring yeasts that will ferment fruit juices and produce alcohol, that's how mankind discovered brewing in the first place, but you have NO idea what species of yeast it is you're getting, and the result may just be spoiled, nasty, and make you sick.

>> No.305794

>>305792
True, but pruno doesn't rely on that since it can take longer.

>> No.305831

>>305783

>implying brewing isn't a key aspect of survival

>> No.305832

>>305792

I know an old timer that's been brewing since ww2, he never uses any yeast, never really has any problems with it.

I use packaged yeast just because it ferments faster.

Also never sterilize anything, aside from washing it good beforehand, never had a problem.

>> No.305977

>>305832
I know several people that have regular contaminations and failed brews. The world isn't the same for everyone.

>> No.305978

Use peels from an apple. These often contain the right yeast.

>> No.306025

Look into open air brewing. A pan used for sweetened rice left to soak on a back hob a few days always smells of alcohol where I live.

>> No.306061

>>305784
you dont NEED an airlock

>> No.306065

It helps if you add turpentine, antifreeze, or rubbing alcohol to it to give it an extra kick.

>> No.306109

>>305977

I've never had a problem with it, in about 10 years since doing it. I dont understand the logic behind it.

Ok wow, you sterilized the fermenting jug. Did you sterilize the water you're putting in? Are the other ingredients sterile? is the air thats used to aerate it sterile? Is your airlock sterilized?

But yeah, makes sense to worry about the container though.

>> No.306111

>>306061

It's good to have, but no you dont need one. You can make one easily out of about 1000 household items anyways.

You can ferment shit without one, if you really understand whats going on, but they're cheap and easy to make so might as well use one.

>> No.306150

>>305784
sure that is a troll image, but the shitty tasting shit that it makes WILL get you drunk

>> No.306230

>>306109
Firstly, you're profoundly missing the point. Secondly, you mean sanitize. There's a difference.
Third, if you 'dont understand the logic behind it' you need to read a fucking book.

Since i'm on my fermenting soap box:
Yes, any liquid with readily available fermentable sugars in a room temperature environment can be made into booze. ANY thing with sugars, from fruit juice to sugar water.
Buy some yeast online or go to a local homebrewing store that sells it. Sanitize your equipment (with bleach water) and boil your mash (or whatever youre fermenting) for 20 minutes and you'll have something worth drinking. You probably wont even get sick, and it wont give you a vicious hangover. You know that white cloudy shit on the skins of grapes at the grocery store? That's yeast. You can use organic grapes to ferment things- that's how wine started.
You DO need an airlock. Gross shit will want to live in there too. But balloons with pin holes in them will make your drink taste like rubber.
It's all about controlling the environment and being able to recreate your successes. By decreasing unknown variables you can make better tasting beverages consistently. Unless you aren't 21, in which case shame on you.

>> No.306254

>>305784
>Racking
That step isn't 100% NEEDED. It just makes it better.

>> No.306260

>>306109
>Ok wow, you sterilized the fermenting jug. Did you sterilize the water you're putting in? Are the other ingredients sterile? is the air thats used to aerate it sterile? Is your airlock sterilized?

I can answer, "yes" to all of these questions. There is a difference between "sterilize" and "sanitize",fyi For brewing, you only need to sanitize. I happen to have a conventional oven and pressure canning equipment. I use these to sterilize all my metal and glass equipment. I don't use water as an ingredient in my brews. All liquids and ingredients used, save for the yeast, are sanitized via potassium metabisulphite. All non-metal and non-glass equipment gets sanitized via boiling, potassium metabisulphite, no-rinse sanitizers, and/or bleach.

>>306230
>But balloons with pin holes in them will make your drink taste like rubber.

Incorrect. If this was correct, the rubber stoppers sold and used specifically for brewing and airlocks would also make the brew taste like rubber. Those stoppers usually stink far worse than any balloon. Neither one contribute any smell or taste to the brews. If your brew tastes like rubber, there is another reason. This is usually caused in beers that have hops in them and have been exposed to ultraviolet radiation. It can also happen with some wines and non-hop beers depending on the ingredients of either one.

>bleach water

Always make sure to state that you need to rinse this off with boiled and cooled water.

>>306254
Racking is the act of removing the liquid you drink from all the lees and other solid ingredients. Drinking a brew that has the lees stirred up into it will make you sick because of the live yeast in it.

>> No.306263

>>306260
>Racking is the act of removing the liquid you drink from all the lees and other solid ingredients. Drinking a brew that has the lees stirred up into it will make you sick because of the live yeast in it.
But I was told it was optional...
>The Orange and the raisins can stay in the mixture for the whole duration but if you want to make the mead a little milder and help it clarify faster you can transfer the liquid into another gallon jug and place the balloon on that one. This would be after the two to three week ferment period has completed. This process is called racking and it will move your mead along nicely.
http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/fast-cheap-mead-making.htm