[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 400 KB, 1676x982, bag 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
304149 No.304149 [Reply] [Original]

Sup, /diy/, just dropping by to hear your general opinion on this.

I usually carry a messenger bag with myself when I'm out, but as I only carry a few items with me (Keys, wallet, celphone, a small notebook and/or headphones, sometimes small tools), I've been meaning to get (or in this case, make) something smaller.

It's supposed to be a smaller messenger-styled carrying bag, worn on the lower back attached on the belt. It's meant for carrying few items while being (somewhat) hassle-free as (unlike shoulder-strapped bags or most backpacks) for more free movement range (running, riding and whatnot). It's meant to be practical while looking casual (hence why I haven't considered kangaroo pouches).

The walls are to be padded for protection, using foam and plastic mesh (the later being mostly so it keeps it's form) in order to protect it's contents. I've considered leather (or an immitation, it's not an issue as long as it's resilient), denim, and canvas for materials.

Now I've got a couple options besides making one from scratch, that is getting a small shoulder bag or otherwise (even a 'manpurse' lol) and modifying it, and I know there's probably somewhere on the internet that sells them premade (I've searched and found a couple, bigger, military-looking ones), but it's not as much in the spirit of this board.

Disadvantages of wearing this I can think of include not being able to see what's being taken or put inside the bag (Which shouldn't be much of a problem as it's not meant to carry much), and possibility of pickpocketing (which can occur with other bags), not to mention falling on one's back (and possibly sitting).

Thoughts? Opinions? Recomendations? Whatever is welcome.

>> No.304150

>>304149
Sorry for the crude drawings as well, I just wanted to lay down the basics.

>> No.304155

>>304149
You need to come up with a catchy name for it. Like I don't know, a booty pack. You're gonna be rich.

>> No.304157
File: 87 KB, 680x680, 0324f_125_detail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.304158

>>304157
Yeah, I've seen that one before, looks pretty good.

More like a bag though.

>> No.304160

>>304149
Just like to note that you're going to have to overcome the whole FANNYPACKFANNYPACK stigma that is going to be brought on by this. Atheistically, I like it.

Only problem I can see is that it's a top down entry which is akward for it being not removed in use. Maybe side entry would be better, with the clip being on the inside so as to avoid thelft (but due to size it wouldn't be hard to push it out of way to unclip)

>> No.304165

>>304160
Not sure there is really a stigma. It's really just more of a fact.

Anyway when you see a guy with a fanny pack the safe assumption is he has a concealed carry license and has a gun in there.

>> No.304169

>>304160
Never heard of such thing around here, but I'll keep it in mind.

>> No.304171

>>304158
They have about 40billion other products like it

>> No.304180

>>304171
I know there's probably a shitload of stuff around like it.

>> No.304184

I was looking for something like this a while back, found exactly what I needed in a motorcycle accessories store...if you're into buyfagging.

>> No.304186

>>304184
I'm not above buyfagging, but I'm more into modifying pre-made stuff I may have laying around.

That being said this is something I'd like to try my hand making from scratch though, if I get the chance that is (and something else doesn't catch my attention before).

>> No.304191

Padding is good but don't made it super-solid. If you fell on it and it was solid it could mess up your lower back.

>> No.304194

>>304191
I'll probably make it soft enough so it doesn't hurt, but still retain it's form and function.

>> No.304216
File: 22 KB, 398x500, The+fence+is+a+damned+good+place+to+be+bro+_6846f244937ad9e61579acfbbc51c322.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

looks big enough to hold a Nexus 7, which is good. The way you have it designed it look like it can bear some weight- just be wary of changing the design, as more weight being carried can make it lean awkwardly on you, and make it hard to walk. Would you maybe consider having a belt just for this? i.e. wearing two belts, one for your pants? You will want a strap, or a handle at least, to carry this bag when you want the load off your waist. If you can make this look good in leather, I'd say, "Big win."

>> No.304224

>>304216
Duly noted. just tried using a notebook of the same exact size (Eerie enough) I have laying around and a belt as a test; It feels just a fit off at first, but it's barely noticing while walking. Still very light and non-indicative of the final thing, but it gives some insight.

I'll probably use some denim I have laying around to make something proof-of-concept first though, but leather sounds very appealing.

>> No.304268

reminds me a lot of the old utility belt threads we had here, A lot of them had a similar large pouch along the back.
considering it's a single piece it actually looks like it could be longer, I would even suggest looking into putting the belt lower on the pouch so most of it hugs along the lower back since that area doesn't do much moving.

>> No.304281
File: 411 KB, 1200x1200, cargo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An alternate solution exists.

>> No.304297

You spelt awkward correctly, the spelling is just a bit awkward ;)

>> No.304372

>Re-invents the fanny pack
>You're going to be rich
>diy

>> No.304624

>>304372
It's what we do.

Except for the getting rich part, I doubt anyone has succeded there yet.