[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 86 KB, 600x450, user10761_pic5107_1229987973.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
291492 No.291492 [Reply] [Original]

I just had one of these happen to me, i lined every spot i could see on the inside of the crack with carpenter's glue and i have it clamped.
how reliable will this fix be?

>> No.291493

bump

>> No.291502

>>291492
Reliable.

>> No.291505

>>291492
You're pretty fucked. Take it to a luthier.

>> No.291507

>>291505
yea, pretty much this. Wood glue isn't going to be able to handle the tension of the strings for very long.

>> No.291509

ghetto fix is to drill a couple holes through it and put bolts with big washers on it.

>> No.291549

Jesus Christ, the horror. How does this even happen?
If done properly a glued joint will be stronger than the rest of the wood. And because of the grain direction I think it will hold up if you did a good job.

>> No.291555

I've heard of more than just a few people doing this (properly) and having it work just fine.

>> No.291560

Don't worry, my Les Paul broke almost exactly like that. I took it to a luthier only because my band payed for it.

I think the guy just glued it together using titebond glue. You should be fine, OP.

Also, the Luthier offered to buy the guitar from me when I went to pick it up. I have dropped the guitar on its headstock after the repair and nothing broke except for the tuners which bent.

>> No.291719

Woodworker here. It's likely that It'll break somewhere else before it breaks at that joint.

>> No.291723

A properly done joint with carpenters glue is stronger than the wood. Make sure that it's a proper fix though, there should be a very thin layer of glue between the pieces, too much glue and you'll get a shit weak joint.

>> No.291729

It's fucked op. If you glue it, the intonation will be slightly off because the glue will ever so slightly move the placement of the head. Because of this you will have a tension problem, and will it will cause a structural failure somewhere else.

You would be better off replacing the neck, but if that is a real Les Paul, then you are going to have more troubles, since it is neck-through.

The cost to "properly" fix this could likely be close to the cost of the guitar. Now, if you want to /diy/, and don't give a fuck if your guitar sounds good, and don't care if you could cause more damage, or are not worried about having the neck splinter and snap in your hands/face while you are playing, then by all means, /diy/ and glue the bitch.

>> No.291731 [DELETED] 

This guy is wrong >>291729

A thin coat of glue on both edges will not elongate the neck long enough to affect the intonation of the guitar. Even if it did you would be able to adjust it in the bridge.

Also, Les Pauls do not have a through neck. They have a set neck. Not a bolt on, but a separate piece set and glued to the body.

Your glue job should be fine as long as it was a light coat on the entire joining surface, properly clamped and left to cure at least 24 hours (I'd wait 48 even) before you string it up again.

Also, if you want more info just google "les paul headstock repair" this is a fairly common problem.

Good luck.

>> No.291742 [DELETED] 

A thin coat of glue on both edges will not elongate the neck long enough to affect the intonation of the guitar. Even if it did you would be able to adjust it in the bridge.

Also, Les Pauls do not have a through neck. They have a set neck. Not a bolt on, but a separate piece set and glued to the body.

Your glue job should be fine as long as it was a light coat on the entire joining surface, properly clamped and left to cure at least 24 hours (I'd wait 48 even) before you string it up again.

Also, if you want more info just google "les paul headstock repair" this is a fairly common problem.

Good luck.

>> No.291748

> If you glue it, the intonation will be slightly off because the glue will ever so slightly move the placement of the head. Because of this you will have a tension problem, and will it will cause a structural failure somewhere else.

lol, no. most fucktarded shit i've heard.

>> No.291749

>>291729
Your post made me cringe so many times. A re-glued headstock joint will be fine in many cases. Also a Les Paul is set-neck.

>> No.291801

West Systems 105 epoxy resin and 206 slow hardener put between two boards with cloth to prevent denting the wood then a vice to squeeze off excess, maybe some super fine grit sandpaper and wood varnish to cover break points. then sell it at unbroken price say nothing and buy a brand new one

>> No.291841
File: 342 KB, 265x198, 1316680540347.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>291729
you should start playing drums

>>291492
Luthier here, just glue it with some good quality wood glue and make sure you put some scrap wood in between the clamp and neck so you dont damage it. It will be stronger than the wood however you will lose some sustain as the glue is less resonant that wood. when clamping make sure the joint is clean and sits where it did originally, if you get a small flek of wood in there and the joint doesnt sit perfectly first time you are fucked basically and will need to take the whole thing off and clamp on a new head. if you look at most cheaper gibson style (angled headstock) guitars the neck is glued on to save monies.

>> No.291869

Good luck.

>> No.291876

I don't know why people bother with LP's.

Fuck, even my 70's ibanez has a 3-piece mahogany/maple/mahogany neck so shit like this doesn't happen and has been dropped many times.

Get your shit together LP

>> No.292000

>>291876

It's always gonna be this way with LPs, the steep headstock angle cutting across the grain at the heel creates an automatic fail point when stressed. Gibson maintain that the angle is vital for string seating because of the shorter-scale neck on the LP so we just live with it and expect the worst, knowing that a (properly-done) repair will at least strengthen a short section of the area.

>> No.292218

>>291876
>>292000
Solution: Take care of your possessions and don't drop your fucking guitar. I own several guitars and have for years. I don't baby them, but I also don't drop them or step on them or leave them in places they will be stepped on. I also don't drop my phone.
I understand that sometimes your strap can slip, but be careful with your shit. If you (or your parents etc.) paid a lot of money for something, take care of it or live with the consequences.
/rant

>> No.292233

I've always been curious as to how people drop and break their guitars.

>> No.293663

Take it to a luthier. This happens to Gibsons all the time, there's not enough wood around the truss rod cavity. That said, I hear hide glue is the strongest, and it's supposed to be difficult to work with.