[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 368 KB, 1136x852, vlad_012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
287477 No.287477 [Reply] [Original]

Haven't posted anything about this in months. It's a dirt bike frame with a lawnmower engine in it, which required a ton of customization to get it installed and running. Same shit you would have to do to make a custom Go-Kart.

I recently replaced the upper motor mount, replaced the air cleaner bracket, painted the rear wheel, removed the pull start cover, shortened the starter cup, installed a toggle switch for turning the headlight on/off, and replaced the intake tubing.

>> No.287480
File: 338 KB, 1136x852, vlad_014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The engine drives the rear wheel through a CVT. The rear swing-arm knock-outs were screwed up when I got the frame, so I had to make a tensioner for the drive chain. I also had to make a custom 60-tooth rear sprocket.

>> No.287482

thats a really sick bike and if you really made it im impessed. Why would you want a lawn mower engine in a motorcycle, considering a motorcycle engine is superior. I could see the purpose for the CVT clutch setup ect if it was a diesel that would make me skippy

>> No.287483
File: 594 KB, 2048x1536, I-remember-you-copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

gj, turned out pretty well

Unfortunatly my big fat ass wouldn't fit on that really well and i would look like that clowns riding those tiny tiny bicycles.

>> No.287484
File: 1.00 MB, 264x237, 1346499899581.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>moped
At first I was like, "meh"
>dirt bike frame with a lawnmower engine
Then I was all like, "very cool"
>I also had to make a custom 60-tooth rear sprocket.
Fuck yes, DIY!

I approve.

>> No.287493
File: 266 KB, 1200x900, vlad_002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've done a great deal of machining and welding on this. I even put the entire electrical system together.
The front fender/headlight was cut and welded out of 22ga stainless steel sheet.
The only part I had help with is the rear sprocket. I made the CAM program for it, but my coworker fixtured and ran the mill.
>>Why would you want a lawn mower engine in a motorcycle, considering a motorcycle engine is superior.
I really like the geometry of a dirt bike frame. But I wanted something low maintenance, and the majority of dirt bike engines are real maintenance nightmares. There's little available in this area for sale used that is in acceptable condition.

I'm doing most of my riding on city streets anyways. It's also an affordable excuse for "doing it myself".
I've only spent $600 on this so far to get to the point where I can rely on it to get me to-and-from work on days when I don't feel like being a cager.
>>Unfortunatly my big fat ass wouldn't fit on that really well and i would look like that clowns riding those tiny tiny bicycles.
Yeah, it's about the size of your average 250cc. 19-inch front wheel, 16-inch rear.

>> No.287500
File: 307 KB, 1136x852, vlad_016.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Later this month I want to reroute the wiring away from the oil drain plug (take a less visible route), and replace the stock exhaust.

>> No.287511

Top speed (and how much do you weigh)?

Really cool looking bike. Although the front part looks a little too batman for my taste.

>> No.287517

Very nice OP, would bang.
Thanks for sharing. Maybe a video update?

>> No.287554
File: 336 KB, 1136x852, vlad_013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>Top speed (and how much do you weigh)?
45mphbecause of the current gearing, 135lb
>>Maybe a video update?
Will get around to it. Maybe this weekend.
Just have to throw together a few brackets for holding the flipcam.

>> No.287595

Hey OP, very cool. What kind of mower did you use an engine from, push or rider?

>> No.287598

I could see someone manufacturing these complete or in kits for a living, hell I'd buy a kit and build this things up if one existed

>> No.287613

>>287598
For the true DIYer all you need is the idea.

>> No.287616
File: 3 KB, 126x126, 1301886998596s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287613

>> No.287648

>>287480
What'd you use for a CVT? Something from a scooter?

>>287598
There's lots of similar kits, but actual requirements for these things vary from state to state. Rare to see any of the kits with the 'automatic' transmission required for motorized bicycles here. Most of them are just not-street-legal low-power dirt bike kits.

>> No.287662
File: 122 KB, 640x480, BTK_TC_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>Hey OP, very cool. What kind of mower did you use an engine from, push or rider?
6.5hp horizontal shaft. The kind you would use for a cheap rear-engine riding mower, or a low-end pressure washer.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ12l5/R-203277122/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053
>>What'd you use for a CVT?
A used Comet Torq-a-verter. They're commonly used for building Go-Karts. They perform better than just using a centrifugal clutch. Mine needed a little bit of machining to fit and align as needed. You just need to pic one that matches the driveshaft size and horsepower of your motor.
>>Kits
I'm sure something similar might be available. There are plenty of people that have made custom motorcycles like mine but used 14hp Diesel engines instead. See
http://www.dieselbike.net/privateconversions/privateconversionsA-H.htm

If you have a rolling frame or a motorcycle with a dead engine, making one of these really isn't much harder than making a custom Go-kart.

>> No.287668

>>287616
No, tard, if you have the idea then you can make it yourself. That is what DIY is all about, not some shitty LEGO kits to build a motorcycle.

>> No.287669
File: 62 KB, 600x502, STREET HAWK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287477
>>287480
Nice bike.

>> No.287670

>>287668
Assembling a kit's more /diy/ than not. Plus I always improvised my lego kits, fuck instructions.

>> No.287673

>>287668
oh please some of us don't have the tools for machining and welding nor the funds to buy them. How far do you even want to take your point? Are you going to buy raw steel or aluminum you're using to build it? No, you're not, so hur dur hur a true DIYer would start from solid block of metal and then melt the down into worakeble parts hur hur

>> No.287674

>>287670
>>287673
For the true DIYer all you need is the idea.

>> No.287675
File: 268 KB, 899x634, 1327600934745.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287670
>>287673
>kits

Fucking piece of shit buyfags.

>> No.287683

>>287675
Shut the fuck up you pissant child you have ruined this thread with your stupid "buyfag" shit

>> No.287701 [DELETED] 
File: 55 KB, 370x300, tumblr_m46looxIi41qe9tnzo1_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287683
Keep you /b/ shit in /b/, please.

>> No.287725

You've inspired me to do something similiar OP! You don't need a licence to drive a moped here and I want to build an electric moped. I've decided I'm going to go to the local DVLA and find out about SVAs for mopeds, so I know what specs I need to stick to.

>> No.287729

I forgot to add that the electric start engine took more modification that I was expecting to get it to work as intended.
The circuit for the key switch is peculiar. The key switch itself has a solenoid built into it that if the alternator produces too much voltage at RPMs beyond what the governor is setup for, it will turn the ignition off. As in actually turn the key on its own, so I can't leave the key in it or risk having it fall out. The electrical system on-off therefore had to be separate from the key switch.

In order to bypass the governor I had to only use the portion of the key switch that powers the relay for the starter motor. I had to hook-up a separate kill switch.
I also had to remove the low-oil sensor that would also shut the ignition off through the key switch if I went up a steep hill.

End result is that starting the bike requires the key. Keeping it running does not.
>>Buyfags vs. DIYonlyfags
Go away.
I didn't DIY EVERYTHING on my bike because I don't have infinite free time.
I didn't DIY the tires, wheels, brakes, frame, suspension, tank, seat, engine, CVT, lights, or components for the electrical system.
There are plenty of parts I could have made myself. But it made more sense to simply buy one for $20 instead of spending $5 to get materials and 2 hours to put them together.

The front fender and handlebars are the only parts I made solely for looks or personal preference.

>> No.287733
File: 316 KB, 1600x600, nem0_spread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>You've inspired me to do something similar OP!
Great.
>>I want to build an electric moped. I've decided I'm going to go to the local DVLA and find out about SVAs for mopeds, so I know what specs I need to stick to.
Electric conversions get expensive pretty quickly. I tried to build one in this frame a couple years ago and had difficulty selecting an affordable motor and batteries that could get me what I wanted.
You will probably have to spend more money on batteries than I have spent to completely build my gas-powered bike.

If you want to research electric drive options check out.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums

>> No.287737

>>287733
That's a handy forum, thanks!
It would only be for around the city, I live in the centre so it would be to uni and back pretty much, range isn't really an issue. I'd be more comfortable with electric motors and controllers than mechanical ones tbh, and I absolutely love the shape of your frame so I'd probably go for something similiar.

>> No.287741

>>287733
>>287737
I really did enjoy the diesel bike conversions link. Interesting ideas, but not really moped-scaled afaik.

>> No.288606

i have no prior knowledge to any of this... But i would like to make a bike similar to this, where would i get started? how much would you think it would cost? i mean, what tools would be practical to buy and what could be machined for me?

>> No.288608

The bike is really nice but it is not a moped. A moped by definition must have pedals. Motor + pedals = moped.

>> No.288854

Short video
https://vimeo.com/49113531

>>i have no prior knowledge to any of this... But i would like to make a bike similar to this, where would i get started? how much would you think it would cost? i mean, what tools would be practical to buy and what could be machined for me?
I suggest you read up on custom Go-Kart builds.
You're likely to need a bandsaw, drillpress, angle finder, carpenters square, grinder, digital caliper, and a MIG welder. A machine lathe would also be a good idea.
Different tools will be needed for electrical work.

It's a worthwhile experience to start a project like this because you're going to learn A LOT about engineering and machining. But there's a great deal you are going to need access to in order to reach your project goals.
I do product prototyping for a living, SO I have access to far more tools at home and at work than the average DIYer.
You will probably end up spending more money in tools than you will on parts for the bike.

>> No.288855

>>The bike is really nice but it is not a moped. A moped by definition must have pedals. Motor + pedals = moped.
I am aware of that. It only qualifies as a "moped" as defined by my state DMV. So it doesn't need a plate, title, or insurance.

>> No.288865

>>288855
Yeah, my state defines it as 'motorized bicycle' pedals or not. Can't argue with the bureaucracy.