[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 9 KB, 250x168, product-shear-thickening-fluid-kevlar-study-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
286699 No.286699 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/ I want to make stab proof armour, mainly because I think it will be a cool project to occupy my free time, and would probably be good to have just in case. From what I've found online the most popular thing these days is Shear Thickening Fluid. I know what that is and how it works, the question being what substances can I use to make it (google only provided water+corn starch and ethylene glycol+silica) and what fabrics can I impregnate with it? I know kevlar works great, but I live in British Columbia, Canada, where we sadly, cannot own bulletproof vests, which would exclude kevlar, unless anyone out there knows if kevlar fabric is legal so long as it won't stop bullets?
Since I'm not exactly Bill Gates I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on supplies.
So, long story short:
Stab proof covering vital organs (not bulletproof)
Relatively inexpensive
Flexible, light
I will also consider alternate methods, chainmail/ plastics, ect. Thank you.

>> No.286710

Hi there, welcome to /diy/

since this is your first time ever here apparently you don't know how to click past page 1

let me help you to threads that already deal with your topic and have answers to some of your questions

>>283823
>>258193

>> No.286711

get -magazines, duct tape
combine said items to make a vest
?????
profit!

>> No.286746
File: 9 KB, 300x223, 80609.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>286711

And while you're at it you could get some full body tattoos and a knife, go out and take vengeance on those filthy Hokudo Group dogs for murdering your aniki, even though your boss forbids you to retaliate.

>> No.286765

Here's everything you need to know on how to make ST fluid armor, they even provide handy instructions almost every step of the way:

www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ada433286

So yeah, you just take some antifreeze(sans water) and mix it with colloidal silica(55-65% vol fraction silica) and you've got shear thickening fluid.

You could probably make some from stuff you could buy at a hardware store.

>> No.286770

>>286765

Yeah, trivial shit, totally possible with hardware store materials.
Has anyone here actually tried to make that stuff? Did it work?

Protip: PEG != glycol.

>> No.286781

>>286770
Yeah one can use polyethylene gylcol, but you can also use ethylene glycol, the same damn stuff in antifreeze.

Source:
http://www.ccm.udel.edu/STF/PubLinks2/BallisticImpactCharacteristicsofKEVLAR.pdf

>> No.286787

>>286781

Yeah, and then you just buy suitable silica nanoparticles from your nearest hardware store.
Has anyone here actually tried to make that stuff? Did it work?

>> No.286848

>>286770
>>286787

If you people would read threads still on the board about this you'd see it's possible and cheap and real easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DcSO4fs64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DcSO4fs64

>> No.286873

Bump for great success.

>> No.287167

1) Raise millions of spiders
2) Farm the spider silk
3) Weave into super awesome armor
4) Become crime fighter

>> No.287176

Sheet titanium on the outside of the vest. Probably won't stop bullets, guarantee it'll stop knives with a small layer of kevlar behind it.

>> No.287289

Thanks for the ideas, recommendations and links, I found them pretty informative. From that I've researched and read from the various links and videos, it seems like Shear Thickening Fluid is the best way to go, since it can be added to virtually any cloth. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DcSO4fs64))
I've tried to find the proper ratio for mixing polyethylene glycol and silica, but came up empty, as with diluting it in ethanol for the soaking process. I also didn't find if the ratio doesn't matter, since I've seen this stuff as a thick paste (that video link) or as more of a liquid. Also ideas for fabrics to use? Kevlar is quite difficult to get my hands on. I would definitely need to back the material with some kind of foam or other shock absorbent material, since STF only blocks the blade, not the kinetic impact.

>> No.287304

>>287167
spiders have cannibalistic tendencies, faget.

>> No.287360

>>287289
You would mix the peg and silica until it behaves like cornflour and water then add the ethanol. The ethanol evaporates in the oven (or on a clothes line?)

>>287304
Yes they do, the female spiders eat the males during sex. A massive tree of tunnels filled with food and leading via larger and larger tunnels to individual cages the size of a single spider would separate them. Add a tiny robot per cage that takes the silk and your in business. That the cheap approach, you could also hire human slaves. Here's the fucker you farm: http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/inverts/nephila.htm

>> No.287363

>>287167
or you can just get your hands on a few of the genetically altered goats that produce spiders silk proteins in their milk.

>> No.287749

>>287363
that works too

>> No.287754

>>287749
They only produce the protein for silk. No one has figured out how to produce it into thread. More spider butt investigations are needed.

>> No.287793

Has anyone tried spray on truck bed liner, with nylon canvas and steel wire mesh?

Seems liek it'd be insanely easy to make (compared to kevlar and STF) but would be pretty damn tough.

>> No.287861

http://projects1.gbppr.org/mil/cntried
http://projects1.gbppr.org/mil/ceramic

>> No.287868

>>286699

Kevlar in and of itself is not bulletproof, it is merely a component in a bullet proof vest. The part that stops bullets is generally either a ceramic abrasive plate or a solid steel plate.

>> No.287869

Wouldn't truck bedliner be heavy and inflexible?

>> No.287877
File: 117 KB, 800x1039, IMG_6123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chain mail helps, easy to make, stab proof armor.

>> No.287880

>>287877
not really...that's why they started using plate armor. Crossbow bolts go between the rings...it's not that far of a leap to imagine someone making an implement that would do the same thing.

>> No.287882

I agree, I'd like this vest to be immune/resistant to all kinds of stabbing implements. I'd imagine a thin shiv would easily slip between the rings, unless it was fine shark mail.
Since I'd rather avoid incorporating kevlar into the armour, are there any alternative fabrics that would be recommended? Canvas? Nylon?

>> No.287883

>>287877

>stab-proof

Except you're completely and utterly wrong

>> No.287884
File: 151 KB, 630x493, 5421133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287880
It's not like you would be stabbed with polearms and arrows.

>> No.287887
File: 71 KB, 640x480, rondels.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287884

Let me introduce you to rondels

Anyway, as far as OP's project goes, remember that some of the most vital points on the human body (underarm, groin, neck) are also joints and therefore cannot be restricted too much by material unless you're willing to sacrifice mobility. I don't know much about this Shear Thickening Fluid but if you could get it on even a T-shirt you'd probably be defended from most everything but extremely committed attacks.

Really the best thing to do in the first place is to not get into a situation where you're gonna get stabbed, but sounds like a cool project regardless. Can't wait to hear the results.

>> No.287891

>>287887
That is very true, but sometimes shit happens, and when shit happens it's best to have an umbrella.
I had put some consideration into protecting the vitals, as there is no point in chest protection if you get your throat slashed. I was thinking about perhaps impregnating a turtleneck sweater with STF, and adding hard plates (steel, ceramic, plastic?) over important organs such as liver, kidneys, ribcage. This not only conceals the fact that it is armoured providing the STF+ethanol+drying doesn't discolour the material as it did in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DcSO4fs64)) the only downside I can see from this idea is it would most likely be quite hot, but I don't know how STF affects the insulation properties of fabrics.

>> No.287917

I live in Vancouver and just the other day I found this crate of kevlar vests in a clearing in the forest, I took a few home. The ones on top of the crate were frayed and seem to be ripped, I took some of the intact ones.

Would OP like some?

>> No.287919
File: 12 KB, 300x300, barrel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287891
I would think that the plastic from a 55 gallon barrel would be pretty durable/stab proof. While it probably would fail after repeated hits in spot, to deflect a few glancing blows with relative ease.
>pic related

>> No.288058
File: 38 KB, 481x504, 1345419323519.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>287917
>>287917
Not OP, but DO WANT

also, here's a handy guide to the penetrating capabilities of commonly found ammo on stationary structures. I know you aren't going to wear plywood or aluminium, but it kinda gives one perspective as to how much it takes to stop a bullet.

>> No.288085

>>287917
not OP either but DO WANT too!

>> No.288101

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikko

>> No.288133

>>287917
I'll pass on a kevlar vest, as I've stated before, I'm trying to avoid it's use due to any issues the law may have. As I've stated before, I'm only interested in stab and slash proof, not bullet proof.
>>287919
Good idea, but I'd have to test that, the problem on which is getting my hands on the material, but I'd think any kind of durable plastic like that would hold up. The good points with that, is it's light, and if it gets damaged, it's easily and cheaply replaced.
I'm also going into town today to check out local stores for PEG/Silica since I've read that they can sometimes be found in hardware stores, as they are used as thickening agents and such.

>> No.288221

OP, I point you to this story from my hometown.

thenorthernecho co uk / news/local/tyneandwear/8456970.Guilty_plea_in_fatal_stabbing/

>> No.288258

http://www.vice.com/behind-the-seams/bogota-s-bulletproof-tailor

This guy is using the stuff for "normal" clothes for the rich and famous. I want a double layer cloak. Shear thickening kevlar under no-max would be awesome. Stab/slash/fire proof outer layer FTW!

>> No.288438

>>288221
While I appreciate your concern, when I make this thing (I couldn't find any PEG or silica powder today) I'm not going to throw it on and tell a dude to stab me. I was planning on either putting it over a hunk of clay or homemade ballistics gel and going at it with a variety of blades.
Though I came up with a somewhat new idea. Instead of making just a vest, I could take a pair of coveralls, and apply STF to the entire thing. Then I would bulk up the vital areas over the chest and arteries with either steel plates, plastic, or sew on extra patches of STF fabric, or a combination of those. I haven't actually made any parts for this yet, because I want to have a finalized design in mind before I begin.

>> No.289309

Rhino Liner.

Stuff can stop a bomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSvVy6oiMZI&feature=related

>> No.289573

Looking for more ideas. Also looking for more source material on the ideas that were already stated.

>> No.289587

>>289573
Thinking about experimenting with Rock-ite cement patch and silicone diluted with naptha. Should run me about $20. Maybe pour it all out on a piece of heavy canvas in a greased cookie sheet on some plywood, then sand the corners of the board with an orbital sander and some dull paper for a poor mans vibrating table.

Rock-ite is really strong when mixed with varying amounts of water (paste or flowable slurry used for patching and anchors), is a super fine powder and runs about $5 a box. Might not be a measured nano scale powder but it's as fine a baby powder. Reacts with water DON"T BREATH! But that makes me think it won't want to solidify like concrete when mixed with silicone as a suspension medium.

>> No.289612

>>288438
Try sum 4mm steel plate, as a scale-type armour underneath a normally heavy jacket. That shit WILL stop a blade, no matter how strong the guy is. Damn, it'd probably stop a bullet (low cal anyway)

>> No.290152

Nice piece of info on shear-thickening/non-newtonian fluid >>290141