[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 760 KB, 1024x768, Penguins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
286037 No.286037 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ I'm in a college dorm, and we're required to keep the non-adjustable AC on, and it's really fucking cold. Any ideas for how to easily heat the place up?

>> No.286042

Plug up some of the ac holes. Wright an editorial in the school paper about wasting energy (give thermometer measurements). Buy space heater.

>> No.286043

same boat here... Freshman at college so it sucks.

I presume opening windows is out of the question due to whatever excuse they say for safety, so I guess thats out of the question.

Simply cover the vent(s) with some covering for a short time every day and the temperature will rise. When the inspect the dorms, remove it for that inspection. I recommend wool since it can actually stop the cold.

As for direct heat itself, maybe a small fire from the table would be nice.

>> No.286045

Wear thicker socks, and and maybe a sweater. Grow the fuck up.

>> No.286048
File: 63 KB, 480x360, sp_1002_01_v6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Simple, just make a bigger hole in the ozone! Oh wait you already are.

>> No.286054

You're complaining about being cold? FUCK! When I went to school they didn't have AC in the dorms. We moved in in August. It was in the high 90's all week outside. 500 people in the building. Two box fans and wearing just boxers, still sweating. Couldn't sleep until like 3 am when it finally started cooling down.

Wear a fucking sweater. If you have access to the thermostat, and each room is independent, get a piece of paper towel get it damp, and set it on the thermostat.

>> No.286069

>>286054
This seems like a good idea, just try to make it really cold around the thermostat. I don't know if I can condone leaving a damp paper towel wrapped around an electrical device, though, could cause problems even if the chances are slim.

What if you made some sort of kooky air pipeline out of paper and duct tape leading from the vent to the thermostat, so all the cold air is funneled directly onto it?

>> No.286074

>>286069
There is no thermostat. I threw a soaked towel over the air vent right next to my computer, and it seems to have helped a bit.

>> No.286080

>>286074
God dammit, I liked kooky air pipeline idea.

In that case, yeah, covering the vents seems like the best solution.

>> No.286085

buy a blanket

/thread

>> No.287611

Put duct tape over the vents.

>> No.288198

If it's still summer, open the windows.