[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 237 KB, 347x700, 1346298417836.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
282352 No.282352 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone ever tried this? Howd it work?

>> No.282353

bump

>> No.282356

>>282352
That is a troll image.

The napkin part is where the fault is. Replace the napkin with either a real air lock, a blow off tube, or at the very least a pin-pricked balloon. All of those will let air out, but won't allow air back in.

The plastic used in water jugs is not properly food safe in all temperatures. It will also leach in the presence of acidic liquids such as a homebrew. The type of plastic is normally "#7 Other". If you are lucky, it will be "#2 HDPE" which is what most gallon jugs are made of like milk and drinking water jugs.

>> No.282355

Needs more turboyeast, also I'm sure there's at least one other /diy/ brew thread. Also is insta-bumping your thread some kind of /diy/ meme?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

>> No.282359

>>282355
I tried this on a much, much smaller scale (2 liters)
However I also did another 2 liters of pineapple, peach and grape juice each.

Ended up tasting like ass, since I used the cheapest of the cheapest, but could you get drunk out of it? Yes. Easily.

You should do it OP if you don't have money and want to get wasted (and want to host fuckawesome parties)

Next time I'm trying strawberry homemade juice (I live in the strawberry capital of the world lel) and I'll try getting some brewer's yeast.

>> No.282362

Thanks everyone!
>>282356
I was planning on making a airlock as well, but didnt know about the plastics! thank you!
>>282359
haha just trying to do stuff, got too much free time on my hands:)

>> No.282363

poster from:
>>282359

>>282356
Ah yes. Didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

Build an airlock, OP. You can find a lot of information in the internet.

Also, get glass containers.

>> No.282369

>>282359
>Ended up tasting like ass, since I used the cheapest of the cheapest,

Incorrect.

It tasted like ass because it isn't a correct procedure. Ingredients are only a small part of a brew going wrong in whatever way it went wrong.

>> No.282371

It works, but bread yeast tastes like shit when you drink it. You also have to kill the yeast if you want to store the finished booze. Freezing works.

>> No.282380

>>282371
>It works, but bread yeast tastes like shit when you drink it

Age it longer. If you drink it within 1 year it is too soon. Otherwise, make kilju.

>> No.282382

>>282369
No, you're gay

It was totally shitty because I used shit yeast, shit apple juice and shit sugar, and stored in a shit container.

The airlock was fucking perfect so yeah fak u faget

>> No.282386

>>282382
How long did you age it?

>> No.282402

>>282352
yes, very near to the pic, and it was awesome. lost half of it to contamination before i could drink it...

>> No.282410

where would one go to get a large glass jug?

>> No.282414

>>282410
This isn't a glass jug.

>> No.282415

>>282414
no shit. but everybody is bitching about plastic, so i want to know where to get glass jugs

>> No.282419

Done this a hundred times but with just turbo yeast and sugar, or even better, potatoes that has been frozen. But I also heated it and ran it through a twirled copper pipe, making it moonshine, you can add shit like that for flavour aswell, but I prefer to add flavor after. doesnt matter how good you do that shit, according to me, it will always taste shit.. but I dont like wine and cider so maybe itäs only me. And as alot of people already said, you need a proper airlock. plastic is just fine, but add a tap like 2 inches from the bottom, so when the yeast sets you dont have to get all that shit stirred up again, you can just let out all the good shit though the tap, then run it through active charcoal... could go on about this all day op, damn you lit a spark in me I havent cared for in years!!

Sorry about any faulty english, swefag here!

>> No.282422

>>282419
and obviously water.........

>> No.282444

Apple juice is pasteurized though.

This wont work.

You need unpasteurized juices.

>> No.282450

>>282415
$8 gallon jugs of shit wine? Share with hobo buddies, have horrible digestive issues, then reuse them.
>>282444
Don't actually need juice, yeast will ferment straight sugar... It's pretty gross, but gets ya drunk.

>> No.282472

>>282444
Why do you think pasteurisation would have any effect on the process? (Hint - it doesn't, as long as there's sugar and yeast it will ferment)

>> No.282479

>>282356
>>282415

Most water jugs are now #1,especially at Walmart and other stores. Check before you buy.

There is nothing terrible that is going to get into your brew from food grade plastics. Some will argue about oxygen permeability,but you're not going to have to worry about it unless you store your brew in there for over a year.

>> No.282481 [DELETED] 

>>282472

The taste, that's what.

If it has its own natural yeast it will be a whole whole whole lot better. I've made apple jack for more than 20 years, and I've never used pasteurized juice. Ever. I've tasted what others have made using pasteurized juice and there is a significant difference.

>> No.282488

>>282472

Pasteurizing the cider kills its natural yeast. OP's recipe is what you make in prison when you have no real control over what you've got. It will make alcohol, and it will get you drunk but if you just want to get drunk to feel drunk (because it will taste like shit) then, well anything I say is just a lost cause.

Just go to a orchard and get unpasteurized juice. Fuck, let them know you're making booze. If you don't look 12 and shit they'll probably hook you up or send you to someone who will.

The point I'm making is taste. They make that garbage in prison in plastic bags and they drink it because what the hell else will they drink. You've got options.

>> No.282493

>>282488
I make cider from apples I collect and reduce myself every year. I would say that maybe one in ten gallon jugs is spoiled through 'natural' yeast - sometimes more sometimes less. Last year three out of ten were undrinkable. My processes are clean and I sterilize all my equipment before use, so I know the source of the spoiling yeast is the apples. I have several times bought cheap pasteurised juice and fermented it (not using bread yeast admittedly - I usually use wine yeast and then add campden when it gets to around 8%) and produced perfectly potable and sometimes even very good cider.

>> No.282497

>>282488

You do not want the natural yeast. There is a reason people use campden tablets. Unless your lambic brewing,but I don't like chancing batches.

Juice you buy from stores is fine,as long as it doesn't have potassium sorbate in it. That with some proper wine yeast,and you are golden.

>> No.282518

>>282410
Local homebrew stores, online from brewing websites.

For used 1 gallon glass jugs you can use old Rossi wine, apple juice, or other jugs.

>> No.282519

>>282444
Incorrect.

Pasteurization has nothing to do with if it'll work or not. You add your own yeasts. Wild yeasts are unpredictable. The only thing pasteurizing changes is the flavor and some nutrients.

>> No.282521

>>282488
>OP's recipe is what you make in prison

Pruno is what you make in prison and is a completely different beast. Like using bread roll crusts to try to get yeast from. OP's recipe is hobo wine.

>> No.282582

be careful if you're brewing your own stuff. it could easily happen that you get methanol instead of ethanol, which could pretty much kill you.

>> No.282597

>>282582
4/10

>> No.282598

>>282582
>be careful if you're brewing your own stuff. it could easily happen that you get methanol instead of ethanol, which could pretty much kill you.

No, it could not "easily happen," you stupid fuck.

All home brewing produces a TINY amount of methanol, but not even close to enough to be harmful. Only distilling produces concentrations of methanol large enough to be harmful, NOT simply brewing wine or beer.

Please don't chime in if you don't have a clue what the fuck you're talking about.

>> No.282622

>>282598
While he is extremely incorrect, you to are only a slight bit incorrect. There is not enough methanol in normal brewing to affect your health even if you are distilling it.

The problem comes from people adding denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) to their distilled alcohol which makes it have a higher alcohol content and of course makes it deadly poisonous.

In order for the tiny amounts of methanol to harm you from distilling you'd need to drink so much ethanol that the ethanol itself will more than likely kill you.

>> No.282623

>>282598
Methanol production is way more of an issue for moonshine distillery and stuff. That's the shit that'll potentially blind you if you don't take all the tiny precaution steps.

>> No.282641

>>282623
read
>>282622
in case you missed it

>> No.282728

>>282622

methanol is still a problem in distilling even when using homebrewed bases

>> No.282780

>>282728
No, it is not. Unless you are doing it improperly.

Don't spread misinformation please.

>> No.282802
File: 10 KB, 250x256, 457043 - spray mask.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>282356
Could you adapt one of those valve things you get on a cheap spray painting mask to do the job?

>> No.282803

>>282780

Agree. I currently have my cider on it's second fermentation with real apples inside. This will go on for a week or So then I will be kegging it. I used 21 ltrs of homebrand apple juice, some lactose (500g) and some us-05 yeast. Going to leave it for 3 months and then try it on tap. I inject CO2.

>> No.282814

No picture attached, sorry guys. Using chant app, such a bitch some times.

>> No.282816

Homebrewing looks like a fun project/hobby, how much does it cost to get the equipment that can produce beer or cider to the same quality as commercial brand (so not moonshine like OP pic)

>> No.282822

With all this new information could someone please make a new image? I want to spread this idea around and can't use photoshop or mspaint for shit.

>> No.282823

Well, for a full fermenter kit it is $31. including tap and bubbler.

Apple juice 3ltr x 7 $24, Lactose (Optional) 500g $7, Us-05 yeast or wine yeast (Gives a fruity taste).

Use plastic coke bottles for starters and invest in glass bottles or keg system later.

Make sure you sanitize everything with Starsan (or equivalent). Also need sugar to prime your bottles.

Also it will get cheaper the next time because you will have the equipment already.

>> No.282826

>>282802
Maybe.

>> No.282837

Seems legit

>> No.282839

Mine was basically undrinkable proof.

>> No.282843

I actually started one from that exact picture a while ago. since the time is 2 months, I have until sept. 31 to open it.

>> No.282874

Unpasteurized-fag here. I am gonna try this recipe since the cost of apples locally will be much higher due to the drought we've experienced.

I've never done it with juice though. My old press will be jelly due to not being used.

>> No.282886

Just a warning, normal bakers yeast will make it taste off. You have to get the right kind of yeast. Either go to a wine store (they might have it) or order something like this off line (this one works wonders! Perfect with white grape juice)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e683/?srp=4

>> No.283090

Us-05 is good yeast to use.

>> No.283106

Just made some apple juice, put it in bottles, sealed the bottles with plastic foil, made holes on plastic foil. The bottles are made of glass, the apple juice is pure apple juice, I just squeezed it from apple puree. My goal is to make alcoholic apple juice aka cider.

Did I do right?

>> No.283111

>>282352
you're just gonna get vinegar

>> No.283117

>>283111
Why and how not to?

>> No.283180

>Exactly two months until Halloween party
>I love throwing parties, but hate spending my entire budget on hooch.

Let's see if I accidentally make all my friends go blind.

>> No.283183

>>283117
Jesus, read the thread already.

>> No.283185

I actually have alot of experience with this OP. Check out this video and tell me if it seems like something you would like to drink. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edoUwvaVy-M

>> No.283190
File: 157 KB, 1680x975, 1344181161109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have done this,,
Equipment you need:
>5-6 gallon Brewer's Bucket
>5 gallon Carboy a/k/a Spring water bottle
> S-type airlock
>clean plastic hose to syphon
>clean 2 liter bottles sterilized with bleach and water solution and then rinsed well to store it in
>bleach
>Campden tablets

Recipe:
>5 gallons of Apple juice organic that contains no sulfites or potassium sorbate. Pasteurized is OK.

>Champagne or even bread yeast

1. Sterilize all equipment with a mild bleach-water solution. then rinse thoroughly with clean water.

2. Pour the cider into the brew bucket and add campden tablets ( 1 per gallon of cider). place lid on bucket or otherwise cover and let set for 24hrs.

3. Disolve champagne yeast in water following the instructions on the package of yeast. Then add to the Cider .

4. Cover bucket loosely with a lid or clean cloth and let sit in a cool place like a basement for 7 days or so. The cider will bubble and froth after a day or
2 let it go for about 6-7 days. Then either add potassium sorbate or sulfites to stop fermentation. Move to the 5 gallon water jug (carboy) let sit for a week or 2 with the s-type airlock in a stopper in the jug top.

5. Let the dead yeasts settle to the bottom of the jug then syphon the cider out leaving and not disturbing the dead muddy looking yeasts at the bottom.

6. Hit it again with potassium sorbate and drain into clean sterilized then well rinsed soda bottles.

>> No.283193

>>282419
>itäs
>swefag here!
ya don't say

>> No.283195

that's too expensive

try this

http://www.ciprianhomorodean.eu/rachiu-din-cacat-si-pufoaica/

>> No.283212

I just started two gallons a few days ago. Cider and also cranberry-grape wine. Used normal bread yeast, so I guess I'll see how that turns out. Hope it doesn't come out nasty.
I'm storing it in someone's bedroom, should I move it elsewhere? I don't want them to get poisoned

>> No.284897

>>283212
Nah, the only thing it should release is CO2. Maybe crack a window at some stage because it'll smell beer-ey, but otherwise you're fine.

>> No.284904

Haven't made cider but I made kilju a couple of times, sold it at parties while I was in high school to make a little extra.
Frankly, it was a hit or miss deal. Hit and it was very potent but didn't taste much of alcohol, more like a soda made of honey (better than it sounds even). Miss and it tasted like I puked in a bottle. Unfortunately I ended up getting saddled with the swill since the good stuff was making me money.

>> No.285048

>>282582
no, no, no. Methanol is only a problem if you're actually going to distill the shit. It vaps at a different temp than ethanol. When people distill improperly they get large quantities of methanol and go blind and die. If you just drink the shit without distilling it, a little methanol won't hurt ya.