[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 40 KB, 561x506, Fail_safe_key.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
279914 No.279914 [Reply] [Original]

I'm thinking of buying a safe and wanted to ask /diy/ on some advice.

The safe comes with a key design with little dot notches in it - looks pretty much like the picture.

Is this key design secure?
(less chance of picked/bumped open?)

Also it has one hole to bolt it down to the floor - how can I make it secure when bolting it to a wooden floor?

>> No.279926

well yeah because all the keys sold will be the same.

>> No.279939

Just buy a reputable brand. Contrary to popular film lore there are not hordes of competent jewel thief's planning their next bust.

>> No.279945

Sounds like garisson locks. We have them on my building. I've never been able to pick my front door, and I'm decent at normal pin tumblers.

>> No.279968

>>279926
Idiot. look at the picture, the key has different sized bumps and some are even missing from the pattern, there's just as many combinations using this technique then your standard key.

>> No.279978

>>279914
Wooden floors suck as they can be ripped apart with little problem. If someone wants the safe all they need is a vehicle and a chain. They'll be able to, literally, rip it out of the house and destroy everything in the way. Doorframes and all. Securing it to your foundation with high quality steel nuts and bolts is ideal. I've seen a few incidents where the safe was heavily bolted to the foundation and an attempted "rip-off" ended in catastrophe for the vehicle.

If you have no solid foundation to secure to then I'd suggest adding weight to the safe and put it in a location where it'd be hard to get around it. Sticking it in a tight closet to block off the sides and back would be ideal.

If you're really wanting to secure it by grounding it then look into anchoring it down into the ground, through the floor.

>> No.279981 [DELETED] 

I now have Jon Onman's SSN

Thanks OP!

Also put a steel plate under the floor to which your safe will be bolted.

>> No.279985

>>279945

Garrison is made by Mul-T-Lock, it's not a type, it's a brand. The key in OP's picture is often described as a "dimple key".

The one pictured is manufactured by Sargent. I believe it's the Sargent Keso.

>> No.279990

>>279978

That's why it's always advisable to locate the safe off the ground floor, if possible. I've installed quite a few safes at work (locksmith here) and we always told people that concealment is just as important as anchoring.

Cover the safe, if it's reasonably small, with a box that says something like "Xmas Decorations" or some other bullshit.

Also, just because it has one hole doesn't mean you can't make more. The bottom of a safe is always the weakest. Put 4 holes (1 in each corner) and use lag bolts w/ washers in each. Try to hit one on a stud in the floor joist if possible (use a stud finder).

>> No.280036

I've only ever seen a dimple lock pick set once and it was very slow. What makes these locks suck is that normally manufacturers only make a handful of different pin combos and they can be bumped very easily.

Really no thief is going to waste their time doing either and will just drill it. That is why you get an electronic or combo lock safe. Thieves take one look at either and don't even bother.

>> No.280039
File: 59 KB, 300x224, burglarized04.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>280036

You were saying?

I've seen them use gas powered safes, torches, thermal lances, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way, no matter what they're face.

>> No.280040

>>280039

Oops, should read "gas powered saws".

>> No.280068
File: 91 KB, 538x800, $(KGrHqEOKooE4t4Q6O1ZBOUnmD7nrw~~48_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get a real safe, not a cheap ass big-box store one.

Secure it down and laugh at thieves.

>> No.280071

>>280036
>>280039
Time.

That is what determines if you safe will actually be safe. The longer it takes to break into, the more risk there is to get caught and arrested. If a thief can sit down at his leisure and pick the lock or break the safe then there's no safe in the world that will prevent him from getting in. However, if the thief has limited amount of time before the risk of getting caught becomes to great then the safe only needs to be as good as the length of time required to break in versus the time they get caught. Make/buy a safe that takes time to break into and place the safe where the area can be monitored in intervals and the safe will remain safe.

>> No.280098

>>280068
woah that thing looks awesome
what wouldnt i do to get one of these

>> No.280111

>>280098
$4000 and a way to get it from point A to your house and you can get one of several varieties off ebay.