[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 23 KB, 390x288, 1278783426188.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
274517 No.274517 [Reply] [Original]

I want to train hop (US). How could I hop a train that isn't parked at a rail yard and how could I find out where it was going?

>> No.274544

>>274517
I applaud your drive but you should know that train hopping is exceptionally dangerous. Other than that, what city do you live in? How do you want to go about train hopping? Through the side hobo style or onto the top from a bridge? Of the two I would say that the former is probably the least life threatening so long as you don't trip.

>> No.274603

If you gotta ask things like this, you ain't suited fer that, mate.
And it's illegal.

>> No.274659

>>274517
>I want to train hop (US).
Don't. The era of friendly engineers and poorly secured rail-yards with empty box cars is gone.

These days, people are on the strict lookout for trespassers (because the company fears liability), flat cars with containers are widely used, CCT, DHS assuming anything slightly unusual is terrorism, etc.

And that's just aside from the usual dangers associated with unauthorized rail travel.

My suggestion: Either become a railfan and go train-spotting, or become a travel-fan and go train-riding (the AmTrak way, not the hobo way).