[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.57 MB, 360x203, N5kEB.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
270965 No.270965 [Reply] [Original]

so /diy/ I want to make an arducopter that has the ability to follow a tracking beacon (Think attaching it to a backpack and bombing down a hill on a bike with the copter following)
Has this been done? I know they can be given pre-programmed coordinates but I want it to track something in real time

>> No.270983

>>270965
Never done anything myself (first time posting here)

Looks like you need some sort of GPS system where the transmitter is in you backpack and the receiver is connected to the helicopter. Since you say you can give them pre-programmed coordinates (I don't know how that's done) I assume the next thing you need is someway of getting the updated coordinates to whatever controls the arducopter (whatever that is).

I've probably just told you things you know already or are completely impossible.

>> No.270991

>>270983
This is definitely possible, But I'm not sure how well it will be able to track something moving fast. GPS tracking for fast moving objects is touch and go at best. I was thinking of radio/RFID tracking, Not sure if this is the board to use or if I should try /sci/ thanks for the bump anyway

>> No.271004

this + streaming the video + Oculus Rift = third person mode in real life... I cant wait

>> No.271011

try GPS - but don't bother with code(ie most) recievers.
get two phase GPS systems - set up one to be a base station, other one to be a rover.
with phase method the vector created from measurement on base and roves stays the same, despite the error. Just do something like:
Tartget vector - current vector = offset vector

If you look up method to get coords via phase method it looks weird as fuck - but it is pretty easy.

Mind you - you need tbh at least 2 satelites above you to get the vector. That is if you want to reduce the error of clock of the gps reciever.

>> No.271019

>>271004
Or google glass style stuff with it in the corner of your vision, Imagine using that on a twisty mountain road Seeing everything around the next corner while still driving. This shit would be amazing

>> No.271023

I remember seeing Sweden rangers service had a drone that used preprogrammed route to scan for growth etc.

Doesn't sound too tough to me.

>> No.271327

>>270965
your main problem is going to be powering the 'copter. the motors eat a lot of power. plus with you wanting to carry a camera and enough sensors not to crash into shit, it won't be light either.