[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 306 KB, 720x960, 2012-08-08 18.41.16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
268819 No.268819 [Reply] [Original]

So this may not be the best place to go about this but I figured I'd give it a shot. Not a total noob with computers but also not amazingly savvy.

Either way, here is my issue: this morning i decided to open up my computer and clean the dust from the inside. I do this every six months or so. I ussually focus on the fan and afterwards my computer tends to run faster.

today it didnt run at all. The power button shows no indication of power working nor do any of the fans turn on or anything like that. The only indication that there is life left in my computer is the blinking green light on the back by the power button. Ifugred something went wrong and undid some screws and opened the box where the power plug goes in and found it to be covered in even more dust (never opened it before) so i cleaned it. still no help. Checked all plugs to see whatsup but as you can see from the picture, theres a lot of useless pugs just kind of laying around.

any advice on how I might go about fixing this? will post pictures of computer

>> No.268823

It's possible your front panel on your box has either become disconnected or shorted out during cleaning.

There's also a possibility your PSU has died. Do you have any old PSU's laying around?

>> No.268825

>>268823
Also, before cleaning you should really remove all components from inside your box.

>> No.268828

Start by reseating everything. unplug the computer from power then unplug and plug the internal connectors back in (mobo power, mobo aux power, etc), push both sides of all your ram modules down to make sure they're seated, same to the PCI cards. Plug it back in and report.

>> No.268829

>>268823

fraid not so its hard to test it without going out and spending 20 bucks on a multimeter. This is the only PC we have in my apartmetn. the rest are all macs.

Either way is the memory salvagable, and does the blinking light on the back imply there is hope for the computer in general?

>> No.268830

>>268828

Is there a good guide existent for this? Im too noob to know where every single plug goes (though I did unplug and plug most of them back in one at a time.

>> No.268832

What did you clean it with?

>> No.268835

>>268832

A sock. Apparently this is terrible. Also used qtips for hard to reach spaces. Id done it dozens of times before without issue. but am being told today it probably fried the bitch.

Going iwth the theory that I fried the fucker, what are my options? could I essentially replace a part or should I go with replacing the computer in general? is the memory possible to save?

>> No.268836

>>268829
The blinking light can be an indicator of a power supply that's turning on and off repeatedly.

This does not necessarily denote bad PSU.

Try what anon suggested first: reseat every component firmly. If you're still getting nothing, remove one component at a time, trying to start after each component is removed.

(pull one stick of RAM, try to start; pull out all HDD except your OS drive, try to start; etc.)

Until all you have left in your box is your motherboard, PSU, CPU, GPU, RAM and OS HDD.

If your box still won't start, you've just narrowed down the suspected devices.

>> No.268838

>though I did unplug and plug most of them back in one at a time.

if you unplugged the little connectors that connect the front-panel/power switch you may have the power switch one reversed, they're usually labled on the motherboard in tiny writing like "pwr" for the power switch etc they will usually have a + sign next to it to to tell you which way around to connect them too, no biggie just try reversing the power one an try powering on again... if you disconnected them at some point

>> No.268840

>>268835
>a sock

Jesus, dude.

Okay well don't do that again.

Your RAM, unless you shorted your whole MB somehow, should be fine. But if you touched any bridges or circuits with a sock, you may be looking at a dead MB.

Do this:

>>268836

>> No.268841

>>268836

Im trying this for now though to be honest im not snure what half of those stand for / mean so its mostly me taking out random plugs and putting them back in for the moment

>> No.268843

>>268841
Stop pulling stuff apart.

>> No.268844

>A sock. Apparently this is terrible

Yeah, especially if it's a nylon sock, I usually use a small bristle brush (natural hair, not synthetic, nylon etc)

As you may know nylon can created/hold a small electrical charge, you may has damaged a component with static... maybe not though, try reversing the little power connector that connects the front pannel to the mother board like I wrote earlier... that's if you disconnected them

>> No.268848

>>268844
how exactly do I go about reversing this?

Also no one has given me an answer on the liklihood of the memory being still good? could I transfer it to another computer assuming the motherboard is fried?

>> No.268850

>>268848
Your RAM should be fine. You can put in whatever PC you want as long as its the same form-factor.

Hang on a second and I'll try to post a diagram that can help you out.

>> No.268852

>>268850

thank you very much anon. And thank you to everyone else who has contributed as well. I know I should probably not be doing this kind of stuff on my own. I make decent money so if I need to buy a new computer htat is always an option, im just not sure what kind of computer is good to work with adobe after effects

>> No.268853

>how exactly do I go about reversing this?

Did you disconnect any connectors in the pic?
See the one that says "power sw" just try turning that around, yours may not say "power sw" but it will be something similar.

If your memory was bad the computer will still generally boot until the memory check or POST..

pic related

>> No.268855

>>268850
Pictured are the Front Panel connectors--basically all those buttons, lights and USB ports on the front of your computer run through very small colored wired into the Front Panel connectors. It's basically a set of switches that lets your computer know it needs to turn on.

It's possible you unplugged one of these when cleaning. Every connector-wire has a few letters on it, letting you know what it does. Most PC/ATX factors are the same.

>> No.268856
File: 35 KB, 425x243, panel_leitungen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268853
>>268853

>> No.268858

>>268853

not sure what connectors are, do u have a pic that can be related so I can see? ill check for the sw to be sure.

>> No.268861
File: 1.25 MB, 964x694, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268855
Goddammit, pic related.

Now, do NOT start unplugging these if they're already plugged in. Just make sure they're seated firmly and that you don't have anything labeled PWR or SWITCH hanging free.

>> No.268862

>>268861

Holy fuck, are you me?
Both thinking the same thing and both forget to post the pic lol

>> No.268863

>>268862
lol.

>> No.268864
File: 134 KB, 480x640, 2012-08-08 19.20.40.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268861

thanks checking now, hard to see which is which cuz in my computer there are a bunch of ones that have been free hanging for so long they still have zip ties on them. however their all labeled "p1 p2 p3" etc. trying to find those ones specifically but no luck thus far.

>> No.268867
File: 84 KB, 500x452, open-computer-cases.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268864
Should be near the front/bottom of your machine. The wires aren't usually very long.

>> No.268868

not sure I found the correct plgs as everythings labeled with P's and i was told not to unplug so its hard to see the tops of some of the pluggedi n things.

in the event this thing is fucked, what from it can be salvaged? someone mentioned the ram, which part is the ram? are they those long green compouter chip things? what about the HD? where is that and how could i safely remove it?

>> No.268869

>>268867

think ive located those plugs but they appear to be in the top of my computer as opposed to the bottom which is where my fan is. very odd.

>> No.268870

>>268868
It depends on what happened to your machine. I've had a power surge fry everything connected to my motherboard.

CPU's generally don't survive power surges. Same with power supplies.

But i have no idea what happened to your machine, sooo...idk.

>> No.268871

>>268869
Is your power switch on the top of your PC?

>> No.268873

>>268871

yes power switch is at the very top of the PC.

If there away I Can plug the HD as an external in to my laptio to see if the files are all there or something? any way to test if anything is salvage worthy?

>> No.268876

>think ive located those plugs but they appear to be in the top of my computer as opposed to the bottom which is where my fan is. very odd

If you didn't disconnect them then leave them alone.

When you cleaned it did you have the power completely disconnected, discharge yourself/wear an antistatic wrist-strap...

And the power switch is ON at the back of the pc right?!

>> No.268878

>>268873
>yes power switch is at the very top of the PC.

Well there ya go. Then your front panel connectors will be at the top of your motherboard. Some builders do this. no biggie.

>If there away I Can plug the HD as an external in to my laptio to see if the files are all there or something? any way to test if anything is salvage worthy?

Sort of. How many hard drives do your PC have?

>> No.268879

>>268878
*does

>>268876
>And the power switch is ON at the back of the pc right?!

Ah fuck I didn't even think of this.

Look at the back of your machine. Make sure this switch is in the ON position.

>> No.268880

>>268876
I didnt go through any anti static steps, just turned off, unplugged, opened it and started dusting. I didnt really touch any pieces except for the fan which i unscrew to get a better cleaning for it.

i plugged it all back in as ussual but it would not turn on.

there is no power switch in the back (though there is the 150 to 230 switch which i know to leave at 150 volts) but the light in the back that indicates power is there blinking. I do not remember if it is supposed to blink or remain straight up green.

>> No.268881
File: 52 KB, 400x280, 64-power-suppy-diagnostic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268880
Every power supply unit has one of these on the back of it. It may be round instead of rectangular.

>> No.268883

>there is no power switch in the back

That's unusual, if the PSU has no switch for power, did you have the power switched of at the wall BEFORE connecting the power lead to the computer again, the sudden surge may have damaged the PSU..

unusual to have no power switch for the PSU though...

>> No.268884

http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm
Read this guy.
Take a couple days and read evyrething he writes about. Your IQ will go up 20 points.

>> No.268885
File: 118 KB, 640x480, 2012-08-08 19.45.23.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268881

I swear to cow there isnt one there. pic related. not there. is this relatively new? as this computer is almost exactly 5 years old today.

>> No.268887

>>268885
Is that a goddamned Dell?

>> No.268888

>>268887

worse. its HP. what woudl you reccomend for someone who spends the majority of his day on Adobe Premiere and After effects? the latter slows my computer down like a mofo and its hard to edit frame by frame when frames take 10 minutes to load when using particle illusion plug ins

>> No.268889

>Is that a goddamned Dell?

Lol, was kinda thinking that myself.

Wonder if the PSU has shit the bed, it does look a low quality one.. god it could be anything, judging by the PSU

I'd just take it to someone OP, could be anything and a techy can test the components for you

>> No.268891

>>268888
Build your own (which honestly seems a bit out of your depth until you take a few tutorials) or buy one of those fancy work-Macs.

Your power supply unit is most likely dead, OP. You can order an extremeness cheap one from Newegg to test this theory, or you can scavenge from this PC to build another. Either way, you need a bro to help you.

Or you can just by a factory-built machine. blehhhh

>> No.268893

>>268889

thanks I suppose thats what im gonna have to do is just put it in a suitcase and wheel chair it down.

as mentioned above are there any reccomendations for the type of desktop good for editing on premiere and after effects? or at least what kind of components i should get?

>> No.268894

>>268891

what kind of site should i go to for building my own? most of the sites ive visited focus on gaming and music and such but none let me select options for video editing.

id like to avoid mac as i already have that in laptop form.

>> No.268896

Would be an idea for him to take it to someone to test the PSU etc, if it has gone it may have taken out other components, if he get get one for buttons then it's worth a try, but no point in throwing money away if the PSU has damaged other components.

>> No.268897

>>268894
www.Newegg.com

I can wish-build a high-end one in about 10 minutes, depending on your budget.

>> No.268900

>>268897
>>268896

I am going ot take it to a place down the street that will give it a free check up and tell me whats wrong and how much itd cost to fix. I think its about time I got a new one either way though.

checking out the newegg site to see about computer building. thanks bro.

>> No.268902

>>268894
http://pcper.com/hwlb

You might want to max out the ram for whatever system you get if you're using movie editing.

Movie editing is one of the few things left that can tax a system to its limits, so you want to buy one as nice as you can afford.

>> No.268903

>what kind of site should i go to for building my own?

Which country are you in OP, if you're in the UK i'd recomend overclockers.co.uk for components etc they will build one for youto your spec, they're a good company.

To be honest, i'd leave building one by yourself for now unless you spend a week or so reading up, the choice of components can be overwhelming.
Not having a pop at you OP but if you are having trouble identifying RAM, HD etc, then i'd have someone else build it for you, don't want to see you waste money, just keep your current pc for learning about pc's etc.. mistakes can be expensive.

>> No.268904

>>268902
The hwlb link gives you 4 price points and will go into detail about each product, and their prices are updated constantly.

It also gives you everything you need to buy.

If you stick with your current ram, make sure it'll fit in the new motherboard, if it doesn't, you should probably ditch it anyway. I know that feel, I have 6 gigs of slow-ass (even for its era) DDR2 ram that I can't use in anything else, and I can't upgrade to a faster latency because DDR2 is overpriced as fuck

>> No.268905

>>268903
This guy is right too though. The HWLB will tell you everything to buy, but if you don't have a static strap, and don't know the feel for the torque on your screws, or know which drives want the coarse thread, and which the fine, you'll just ruin all your fancy parts.

In b4 anecdotal hurr, I never use a static strap.

Read and prepare a LOT for it, or let someone else do it.

>> No.268906

>>268903

i think that might be best Im just having trouble thinking of where to get the help for cheap. I make decent enough money but Ive only really just started working so Im not sure yet. unfortunately im amerifag so i cant use the site.

wish i had real life friends who know anything about computers to help.

>>268904
I dont even know the difference between ddr2 ram or anything so im already clusterconfucked.

Ill take a look at the various sites and see what i can figure out. I think my last computer only had like 2 gigs of ram so anythign else should be an improvement.

>> No.268907

>If you stick with your current ram

He said his comp is getting on for 5yrs old and a HP too, he'd be best just buying new stuff, custom build with decent components.

OP, Never ever ever buy an off-the-shelf pc again, get someone to build you one with decent big-name (well known) components, and you'll see the difference in quality compared to HP, DELL etc etc, you'll get more for your money too

>> No.268908

Im already feeling overwhelmed looking at all these options im not even sure where to begin when it comes to building on these sites. O_O

>> No.268911

>wish i had real life friends who know anything about computers to help.

You've got us OP :3
Post a new thread on /g/ or here on /diy/ post what your budget is and what you want your PC for, in your case editing etc, someone will help you out with components etc, you could buy 'em and just get/pay someone to build it for you OR read up on pc's and do it yourself, it really isn't that hard, just read up and take your time.

You could try posting on /v/ for ideas on a new build too, though they're mostly a bunch of cunts, some of 'em are good guys though

/diy/ is one of the best boards on 4chan though

>> No.268912
File: 33 KB, 425x400, 226033.image10[1].jpg_h=400&w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

flip the little red switch on your PSU and turn it on, then power back down and switch it back. it's a reset button for the power conduits.

>> No.268913

>>268911

you guys have been incredibly nice and I thank oyu. got an online friend helping me with things. The truth is as long as it runs better then the computer i just had for 5 years it probably doesnt matter how good it really is. i can now afforad 8 gigs of ram instead of 2 so thats a thing. I may make another thread for help after I read some more.

thanks guys!

>> No.268915

>>268912
trollface.jpg

Good thing it's already shot to shit.
0/10

>> No.268916

Oh, and IF you do buy your own components, don't buy the most expensive or the cheapest, hit the middleground.

Basically all you need is RAM (the more the better for editing), a processor, a HD, a PSU, a case, and GFX card.... and monitor unless you keep your old one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2053
I know you're not in the UK but overclockers sells bundles which include the main components which are matched to work well with each other, it's good for reference and you can read the customer reviews AND post in their forum telling people what you want your pc for and your budget, you will get good help there.

It's a good site for reference.

>> No.268919

>>268908
Just keep this in mind:

Nearly EVERY PC has 10 basic components

-the case
-the keyboard
-the mouse
-the DVD-drive (or whatever data-input device you have on hand)
-the CPU
-the video card
-the hard drive(s)
-the Power supply
-RAM aka, memory
-and most important of all, the motherboard, which all the other components plug into.

With these things in working order (which basically means you plug them in and press the on button) you can start you computer no matter what. You can add to these 10 components, but you generally cannot take them away and still start your machine.

Your computer will default-boot to BIOS, which is a sort-of a mini-operating system that comes with your motherboard. BIOS will recognize and integrate all the above components into a working machine.

At this point, you configure your boot device to the DVD drive and put in your operating system DVD--windows, if you like, restart the machine, and BIOS talks to your Windows DVD (or whatever) and begins to put it all together.

And the rest is cake. It's cheaper, you get more power per dollar spent, and you have the option of buying quality, long-lasting components.

>> No.268921

>>268919
Your motherboard will also have small printed labels on it to help when putting everything together.

I definitely recommend using Newegg for the reviews/parts integration.

>> No.268926

thanks for all the advice everyone im being brought up to speed with help of a friend so i can udnerstand these terms. basically my last computer only ram with 2 gigs of ram and wasnt that good apparently, so anything I get will be an improvement, which is nice because even up to last night it ran fairly well for me.

can anyone tell me about video graphics cards though? specifically these three and how they might affectt me editing videos:

AMD Radeon HD 6530 integrated graphics

512 MB AMD Radeon HD 7350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 [DVI, HDMI, VGA via Adapter]

>> No.268927

>>268926
CS5 only worked with nvidia cards in 2011, I don't know if they've fixed that yet.

nVidia cards generally take more watts of power to deliver performance (they run hotter, and use more power). Depending what year and when it is in the product cycle they may be performing better than their ATI counterparts.

>> No.268928

>>268926
and no really. Check out the 'high end' system http://pcper.com/hwlb

You can probably ditch the SSD sound card for a normal HDD and the integrated sound.

>> No.268929

>>268927

I think im running adobe after effects cs4 and adobe premiere cs3 so i should be good

>> No.268932

>>268926
>>268926

Don't ever go for integrated graphics, integrated graphics or "GFX" is not a card as such, it's a chip integrated onto the motherboard, no good for gaming or video editing, good for browsing the web etc but that's about all.

At a glance i'd go for the 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 card as it has more memory than the 512mb of the AMD card which would be more useful for video editing.

The AMD card may be faster (havn't read any reviews) but has less memory than the Nvidia.

They are both very low end cards, if you can try and spend a little more on your GFX card, they're listed here in the UK @ around £40, just google the cards and read up on them.

>> No.268934

I love building computers!

Sorry, I'm a huge nerd....

>> No.268938

>>268932

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

so something like that with 2 gb would probably be better right? but still not good for editing because it is a GFX?

>> No.268939

>>268932

Oh, on the subject of GFX cards, remember that GFX cards have a minimum and reccomended PSU wattage.

If you go below the minimum wattage it can cause system unstability, crashes etc.
Allways try to get the highest wattage PSU you can afford (and pick a good brand too)

If you're just using your pc for home video editing then You probably won't need to go above 400-450W for a PSU, but that all depends on the card you plan on getting. For a gt620 or hd7350 400-450W is plenty.

>> No.268941

below I have posted the specs for the new computer im working on. is there anything im missing? anything i should add? its coming out to 616 which is just about right where my budget is at the moment.

• Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window
• Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
• CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
• Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
• Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
• Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
• Motherboard: [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI
• Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
• Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+41] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
• Power Supply Upgrade: 350 Watts -

>> No.268942

Antec Basiq BP350 Power Supply
• Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
• Data Hard Drive: None
• Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
• USB Flash Drive: None
• Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
• Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
• Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
• Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
• Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
• Extra Thermal Display: None
• Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
• External Wireless Network Card: None
• Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
• Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
• Power Protection: None
• IEEE1394 Card: None
• Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
• USB Port: None
• Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
• Ultra Care Option: None
• Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
• Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

keep in mind I have my own monitors and speakers and such

>> No.268943

>NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

>so something like that with 2 gb would probably be better right? but still not good for editing because it is a GFX?

Yes that would be fine for you.

No, no... GFX is just another of saying "graphics effects", "graphics card" etc etc..

All graphics cards or integrated-graphics (a chip on the motherboard) are all GFX,

>> No.268949

>>268941
You don't want an AM3 system.

AMD is quite inferior to intel lately. the i3/i5/i7 series is too good.

This is coming from an AMD fanboy.

get an i5-2500 and a GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3(R2.0) for $220 + $100 respectively.

Also, don't bother with liquid cooling or any fan upgrades. As long as you don't get an "OEM" cpu, it will come with a perfectly good fan, and it's simple to upgrade later.

If you can't afford the i5 processor, get an i3 2105.

>> No.268950

>>268941

you're going for watercooling?!

You want an honest oppinion, ditch the watercooling, it's not needed on that system, spend the extra money on a better cpu or gfx card, you're CPU will come with it's own cooling.

Watercooling is really only needed for high-end gaming systems etc, you're wasting money.

>> No.268955

>get an i5-2500

This, ditch the watercooling get a 2500k Intel CPU instead of the AMD one.

The fan supplied with the Intel/AMD CPU is just fine and plenty enough, it's what I use.

But yeah go for an Intel 2500k CPU and use the stock cooler that come with it

>> No.268957

>>268941
That power supply is also no-name, I don't trust whoever you're buying that from.

Look for a corsair or antec PSU at 550 watts. Those ar emy favorite companies, but there's others that I'm sure are just fine... There are no-name PSU companies that make shit power supplies that will break your computer... your HP had one, apparently.

>> No.268958

>>268950
>>268955

Stock coolers are OK for Sandy Bridge chips, but be careful with Ivy Bridge. Ivy has way too much thermal density and a bad IHS interface.

Oddly enough the Core2 stock cooler works pretty well on an Ivy chip, as it's twice as big and has that much more thermal mass and surface area.

>> No.268963

>That power supply is also no-name, I don't trust whoever you're buying that from.

Also this, Antec, Corsair, BeQuiet etc are all good PSU brands.

As this guy said, go for a well known brand of PSU.

Never ever ever scrimp on paying for a good brand PSU, a no-name brand can and probably will fail at some point and ruin some (if not all of your other components, CPU, M/board, RAM etc etc), i've had it happen

>> No.268965

>Stock coolers are OK for Sandy Bridge chips

Yeah mines a Sandy; running a 2500k, 8gb RAM, 1 HD, 1 optical and an AMD 6850 on a 450W BeQuiet PSU.
Has been really stable no crashes in games in around 2 years, probably pushing it though lol.

Will swap out the PSU when I start getting random crashes as the PSU ages though.

>> No.268966

/diy/ you surprise me, the length of this thread and only one shitpost, have always though this was one of the best boards

>> No.268967

wow thanks for the advice guys! see I was told by my friend on msn to not go for an intel processor but its worked fine for me for years.

re arranging and will report back. can someone fill me in on the usb options? is the current set up so I have no usb plugs?

>> No.268970

>>268915

If you're on ~120V utility, it just won't start up when you flip it expect 230V.

The other way around on ~230V utility though? Fireworks.

Not that many modern switching power supplies even have that selector anymore, since their operating range covers both.

>> No.268972

>can someone fill me in on the usb options? is the current set up so I have no usb plugs?

Your motherboard will have USB ports (maybe around 4) at the back of your pc, and your case will have some at the front. don't worry about UBS ports, you're well in.

>> No.268973

alright here is the new computer Ive selected its a bit more expensive (most of hte basic set ups when i clicked intel were in the thousands so i took this one priced in the high 600s and lowered it) let me know if im doing this wrong, I couldnt figure out all the suggesttions immediately except for the coolant system

• Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-6] (Black Color)
• Laser Engraving: None
• Laser Engraving Message:
• Internal USB Extension Module: None
• Neon Light Upgrade: None
• Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
• Noise Reduction Technology: None
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3470 3.20 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
• Freebies: None
• Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None
• Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
• Cooling Fan: Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
• Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
• Motherboard: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI [-30]

>> No.268975

• Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None
• Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
• Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+14] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
• Video Card 2: None
• Video Card 3: None
• Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+8]
• Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
• Data Hard Drive: None
• Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
• External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
• USB Flash Drive: None
• Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
• Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
• Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
• Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
• Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
• Mouse Pad: None
• Gaming Gear: None
• Extra Thermal Display: None
• Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
• External Wireless Network Card: None
• Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
• Bluetooth: None
• Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
• Video Camera: None
• Headset: None
• Cable: None
• Power Protection: None
• IEEE1394 Card: None
• Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
• USB Port: None
• Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
• Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
• Office Suite: None
• Games: None
• Ultra Care Option: None
• Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
• Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

it still has a liquid coolant even though i selected none, not sure whats up with that.

>> No.268977

Who are you buying this system from OP, link please?

The PSU has no brand mentioned, just curious is all

>> No.268979

>>268977

im haivng a hard time finding good sites to customize but this link makes the customization process easy for me

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000/

any other sites would be truly appreciated anons. this one lets me see what the basic option is, wht my upgrades an downgrades are and changes the price automatically and everything so its easy for me to understand

>> No.268981

>>268973
>i5-3470

This is an Ivy Bridge chip. It'll run rather hot on the stock cooler. You don't need liquid cooling, but a more robust heatsink would help.

>it still has a liquid coolant even though i selected none, not sure whats up with that.

You still have coolant selected somehow. It might be related:

>Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

This is an EXTREMELY weak card:
>NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4GB 16X PCIe Video Card

So much so that I'm not sure why you'd bother over the integrated graphics on the i5.

An ATI Radeon HD 5850 costs around the same as the 630GT and will stomp all over it.

>> No.268985

>>268981
'the choices for that collant were standard or high performance. nothign for regular fan (though the option right before it let me choose regular fan.

as for cards, the one you reccomend is not on the list. what from the list in the website i linked to would work best?

also is the motherboard appripriate?

to be honest i just need things better hten before, which were already very good for me

>> No.268988

>>268979
>>268979

Ok, the 700w PSU is listed as (standard power supply) no brand (which I don't like), but the 500w and 750w is listed as corsair which are a good brand.

As I said earlier the GT 630 is a very low end card and only requires a 350w (minimum)

You could downgrade to the 500w corasir PSU or Upgrade to the 750w, but I wouldn't go with the no-brand 700w one.

That's how these companies get you, they tease you with that little bit extra, hence why it's always best to buy the components yourself and build/get someone to build it for you, you would save money and could afford a better GFX card

>> No.268990

>>268988
>>268988

Also OP, go to NewEgg etc, price up the components you have listed (or nearest available) add them together and look at the price difference, i'll guarantee you the difference will be easily enough to pay someone to build it for you, buy better/more powerful components and still have enough left over for a box of pop-tarts.

Don't rush your purchase, sit on it for a week, and price up other systems/parts.

These companies (although not bad) make a hell of a markup on the systems, just trying to save you money and get a better system dude.

>> No.268994

>>268985
>'the choices for that collant were standard or high performance

You're getting pigeonholed by this site you're using. Neither option is very appropriate.

>as for cards, the one you reccomend is not on the list

They probably don't offer it because it's an older card. It's two generations behind the current lineup yet it's 3-4 times as powerful as the 630GT, which should give you some indication of how terrible the 630 is.

>> No.268996

OP what is the price for the current system you have just above?

>> No.268998

>>268996

about 681

i am trying to shop around but the thing about paying someone to build it is I dont know anyone who i could even pay to do that :s and as for waiting a week on the purchase its not really an option. the majority of my income comes from editing after effects videos, which this laptop does not have the power to do very fast. Im not even sure i can do 1 a day if its a complex shot. so getting a new computer means getting paid again

any other sites that let you customize?

>> No.269011

>>268998

I don't really know of any sites in the US, i'm in the UK, have been here since this thread started bro.

Ok, I see you're in a bit of a situation, needs must and you're losing money everyday you're without a computer.

Stick with the build you have above, you're not using it for gaming so a high end-gfx card is not so important, if your 5yo old HP was enough for you then that build should be good for you, i know the GFX card isn't the best but...

Downgrade to the 500w psu a 700w is not needed for the GT630, but a 500w still gives you enough leg-room to upgrade (if needed in the future)

Do away with watercooling, as you already know.

Make a new thread on /v/ (be prepared for trolls) , /g/ and maybe here again explaining your situation, ask for reccomended companies for custom builds etc.

Wish I could help you more dude.
As a side note, it's 07:16 here in the UK, today is my birthday, i'm 36 and I havn't got a single card yet lol, havn't got too many friends myself dude, chin up :)

>> No.269012

>>269011

Oh, and don't give up on your HP, have a tinker, it may work again and if it doesn't you can use it for leaning about pc's

>> No.269014

>>269011

I understand. I just celebrated my 20th about a week ago. Even my parents forgot. Their now trying to buy me said new computer. i cant turn off the coolant on that thing though, it wont let me and that makes me angry.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2811222&csid=_61

this thing has most of what i put on the other one, but nothing about the graphics card. any suggestions on this is good or any other pre build ones i could try? its also significantly less with all the things i wanted (8 gigs of ram tne i5 processor and all that)

>>269012
im sitll working iwth it and taking it in for a free diagnostic. if anythigns salvageable ill put it in my new computer (maybe the ram) but if its completely saved I still need to upgrade my computer so might try to sell it

>> No.269018

bumping one last time for help with this particular link i found at

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2811222&csid=_61

it seems to have everything i need and is more affordable (albeit less cool looking) then the other site. but it doesnt mention a graphics card just integrated intel HD graphics.

any confirmation on if this is good or at least an upgrade from
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 632MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®

???

>> No.269019

>>269014
>>269014

I'd go with the one you listed before, with the downgrade on the PSU to 500w corsair.

The Gateway one is very sparse on details, probably has integrated GFX (no good for vid editing) and poor PSU etc etc

Atleast the one from Cyberpower has a dedicated GFX card, decent PSU, Decent, motherboard etc etc.

If it was my choice between the Cyberpower and the Gatway i'd go with the Cyberpower as I know time is money for you and atleast you know the Cyberpower has good components.

Another thing if you plan on putting your old RAM (if salvageable) in your new computer along with the new RAM it may actually slow down your new computer as the new RAM in the new computer will downclock (slowdown) to the speed of the old RAM, i'd advise against it..

>> No.269021

>>269019
>>269019

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/DT.GDDAA.009

The gateway one does have integrated GFX, and i'ts PSU is rated 300w max.

It does give you the option of installing your own GFX card, BUT if you do find the integrated GFX to be sub-par (which it will be for editing) you'll be looking at buying a new PSU, GFX card and probably voiding your warranty.

Spend the extra $150 or so on the Cyberpower...

>> No.269023

>>269021

im reassembling my options for it. Is teh collant system going to haunt me later? like do I ever have to replace that or is it fragile? everyone seemed pretty freaked out when i selected that

>> No.269025

also what graphics card is reccomended from this list?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000/

>> No.269027

>im reassembling my options for it. Is teh collant system going to haunt me later? like do I ever have to replace that or is it fragile? everyone seemed pretty freaked out when i selected that

No, nothing bad about watercooling, just not needed for the system, just extra expense, nothing bad about it at all.

You do know you've been talking to the same guy most of the time right?! lol
>>268832
>>268838
>>268844
>>268853
>>268856
>>268862
>>268876
>>268889
>>268903
>>268907
>>268911
>>268916
>>268932
>>268939
>>268943
>>268950
>>268955
>>268963
>>268977
>>268988
>>268990
>>268996
>>269011
>>269012
>>269014
>>269019
>>269021

All the same guy ;)

>> No.269030

>>269023
Liquid cooling is just wayy over kill for the budget system you're building, and only enthusiasts bother. You don't sound like you're ready for it. It's also not a great system. They should be /diy/ed to be good.

>> No.269031

>>269027

I was not really aware justh ow many posts were by the same guy due to the lack of user IDs on this board. thank you so much for helping me Im just having a hard time figuring otu what I need. I make good money off the editing but never bothered ot figure out how it all works. ordering from this site also will not ship to me until august 21st :/

>> No.269032

>>269030

the problem is finding a site that has all the other specs without the cooling system though. I guess the gateway one is still bad for some reason because of the graphics card? but i dont know what one to get with the cyberpower anyways.

>> No.269034

>>269030
He knows it's not the best, he needs a new comp a.s.a.p or his current one fixing a.s.a.p for his work and doesn't have the experience to build his own just yet, do you know of any better off-the-shelf companies than cyberpower or decent companies in the US?

>> No.269036

>>269027
I was pretty sure there was just the two of us agreeing with each other about what he should do, lol

>>268884
>>268902
>>268904
>>268905
>>268915
>>268927
>>268928
>>268949
>>268957

>> No.269038

http://www.googlebb.magicmicro.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=4244

this one seems to have what I need I think? but I am having trouble with selecting certain options. input appreciated on fans and hardrive could help.

sorry to keep bothering anons, and single anon who has been helping most of all.

>> No.269039

>>269034
I actually meant the liquid cooling rig should be DIY'd. Not really knocking him, he just doesn't sound enthusiast enough to want to do that.

>> No.269040

>>269036

Good to know, there are decent people on 4chan, well... I already knew there was, it's just hard to separate the good from the bad when everyone is Anon lol

also have a brofist

>> No.269043

>>269038
Logisys power supply is no go. Switch it to antec or one of the other ones we listed with about 500W.

Do not express assembly/test, I think they're more likely to just skip the test part.

Probably don't need speakers mice or keyboard.

I sort of want you to stick with a Gigabyte Z68 series mother board, which they offer.

I don't make a hobby of constantly staying up on hardware though, I only get back into it when I'm upgrading my own computer, so I couldn't tell you why I want you to take the Z68, only that is reviewed very well by a website I like.

>> No.269044

>Not really knocking him

I know man, you were only saying what I had said earlier lol
He just uses his comp for vid-editing so W/cooling sure as shit isn't needed lol
He tried to deselect it, but keeps popping back up.

OP it does say "(Olympic Last Call Mega Sale - Free Liquid Cooling Kit!)"
maybe thats why it keeps comming back up, I dunno

>> No.269045

>I don't make a hobby of constantly staying up on hardware though

same as me dude, couldn't even tell you what the best GPU or CPU for $ is at the moment

Hard to keep up on tech when it changes so fast

>> No.269046

>>269043

almost done for the night i promise.

is the apevia 500 watt a good option? also i still have no idea what to choose for my graphics card! about to look in to the motherboard options

>> No.269047

>>269043
tl-dr;
yes, that one looks legit. They have nice options. I'm surprised cyberpower was such a problem.

They offer a 3 year warranty and some support, seems nice, service might be slow-ish

http://www.bbb.org/cleveland/Business-Reviews/computers-dealers/magic-micro-computers-inc-in-warrens
ville-heights-oh-11008602/complaints#breakdown

>> No.269049

>>269046
No, never heard of apevia either.

Coolermaster 500W. They're good.

Radeon... 7860 2gb. Again, I'm just going back to the HWLB mid range system.

>> No.269050

>>269049
Radeon 7850, sorry.

>> No.269051

>>269049
about to check to see if hteres a coolmaster option

as for the graphics card that wants to charge me an extra 200 bucks for the option closest to that O_O any chance the any of the less priced ones will work well compared to what i had before?

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 632MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®

>> No.269053

>>269051
Everything in this computer is literally 10 times better than what you had before, computers are that crazy.

Get a radeon HD 7750, should be about $100

>> No.269055

>>269053
They don't seem to stock it. Maybe just get it separate. Installation is pretty straightforward

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=
AFC-C8Junction-_-N82E16814161403-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=5682563

>> No.269059

thats still a bit out of my price range. tryna keep it under 650 total. any of the lower end video cards you could reccomend at least until i can invest in a better one later?

>> No.269064

cant find much info on this thing but its at the right price range for me:

GeForce 210 1gb PCI express 16xdual head HDMI

any info that isnt straight up manufacturer selling info?

>> No.269065

>>269059
If you go under $100 for your video card, you may as well stick with the integrated video, and buy a card later. I don't think CS 3/4 have any appreciable hardware acceleration anyway.

>> No.269067

>>269064
Video card are also intentionally impossible to understand by model numbers. The market generally keeps the pricing straight, but sometimes it's just retarded. I wouldn't know what to recommend that's not on my list from pcper.

At GTX 570 TI is a piece of shit compared to a GTX 560 FXQFJVSDLVJK or whatever. 620>630 or 630HD>670 ... on and on. You need to be totally on top of the ball to have any clue for video cards.

If you can't afford the ones I pointed out, consider dropping to an i3 processor if you want to game on it. If you just want CS, integrated graphics and the i5 will probably do you better.

>> No.269069

>>269065

how badly will that slow me down though? my next project is going to be a bit more "adventurous" then my last few and will involve a lot of particle ilusion mixed with green screening. will the integrated graphics be better then my last card?

>> No.269070

>>269069
CS 3 and CS4 won't even use your card anyway, afaik.

And yeah, ivy bridge integrated video is probably good enough. You could even take your old video card out and put it in the new board to try it. It should still be PCI-E, so it will fit in the new motherboard.

>> No.269075

>>269070
signing out.

>> No.269103

TL;DR, but here's something many of you might like to see:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

>> No.269118
File: 222 KB, 2000x2000, 1309930034010.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

sorry this is all I'm contributing.