[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 495 KB, 990x2218, 1340875561906.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
255683 No.255683 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, I am a 30 year old man with a family. I have always been interested in politics, foreign policy, and the like, but recently, I have begun to fear the end of society as we know it. I was hoping you guys could give me instructions on home defense, how to make my own weapons, and things like that.
Much thanks to whoever helps.
Pic Related-Smoke Grenade

>> No.255692

>home defense
Build a big ass moat around your house
Hope niggas cant float

>Make your own weapons
Pick up a stick
Congratulations, babbys first weapon

>> No.255694

>>252802
This thread is only one page back.

You are a fucking retard if you actually think society is ending and I feel bad for your family. Get out.

>> No.255697

Follow the basic "Emergency Preparedness" plans reccomended for people in hurricane zones, tuned to your specifications. This is just a guideline, you will want to increase amounts (a solid week's worth of food&water instead of 2 days per person, for example)

Get to know your neighbors better. Much better. In many places there is a lack of community feeling, meaning that a neighborhood falls apart into squabbling houses instead of pulling together. At least get to know your neighbors better, along with the house across the street and behind you (in a typical suburb).

Don't build zip-guns or shotgun shell mines. They are not just illegal, they are usually dumb. You are no use to your children if you blind yourself with a "home defense plan" or end up in jail before shtf or whatever you are actually afraid of.

Go to your local gun store and talk to the owner about home defense. If he starts talking about how he can't wait for the apocalypse so he can shoot mexicans.. leave, find somewhere else. A small rifle or shotgun is within most budgets and you should spend the time with instructors/ranges/lessons to become comfortable and confident. You don't want a magic bang stick, you want a precision tool that you can service that just happens to be designed for killing.

Keep your weapons locked up and/or disabled when not needed. You should be able to see the "end of society" coming and spend a minute threading the locked safety wire out, which is much better then you or a child killing themselves or someone else by accident.

invest in strong doors, solid locks, reinforced framing.

>tl;dr
>build your local support network, consider setting aside reasonable basic supplies and get reliable weapons that you are safe with.
>don't be dumb.

>> No.255702

Thank you teka

>> No.255703

> interested in politics
> interested in foreign policy
> I have begun to fear the end of society

You shouldn't limit yourself to tinfoil hat sources only. Or if you do that, at least you should think more than you do now.

>> No.255825

>>255683
Zombie Survival Guide
Replace all instances of the word "zombie" with "nigger", and "brains" with "watermelon/chicken"

Done, you're safe.

>> No.255838
File: 44 KB, 499x527, This pic is a great art work because of the paralelism of her b00bs and the massive gas tanks behind.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>255697
>>255703
the most reasonable comments on 4chan...EVER.
This is why I go to DIY.

pic in in thanks

>> No.255864

guns to be interested in and why

> mosin nagant
The reason this rifle is good is because its dirt cheap (less than 100 bucks) and fires a round that can take down a large deer and even penetrate modern body armor. Its a very simple weapon that has existed since the dawn of the century and has won quite a few wars. Some people will say its shit , but they are retarded and dont see the value in having 1 more gun around that can kill things that are very large for only 90 bucks. Get one with a can of ammo and let it sit until you need it. it might be worth the small investment one day.

> 22. caliber rifle
There are alot of reasons to want a 22 rifle , the most important reason is the ammo can be found pretty much anywhere and its the most popular ammo on the planet. The problem with the 22 rifle is that unless you are a surgeon with the rifle , you can pretty much only kill bunnies , squirrels, foxes and other small animals with it. Make no mistake you can kill somebody with one , but you have to hit a vital organ to do it. The best type to own in my opinion is one that has an internal magazine , such as a tube. The marlin model 60 has a tube loaded magazine. The reason this is important is because if the world goes to shit , and you end up losing a detatchable magazine , you are fucked. Loading takes longer yes , but you are not going to be fighting people with this gun.

>> No.255865

>>255864
> 357 revolver or lever action rifle.
This is important for a few reasons. One reason is that 357 is a powerful round perfect for killing people and medium to large game. The other reason its important is the rifles and revolvers that take this ammo ALSO take the 38. special round which is less powerful but still gives your weapons more all around usefulness because you can use 2 types of ammo with it which is important if you are running around looking for ammo or have to trade for it. Both revolvers and lever action rifles are great because 1. they dont jam and 2. they all have internal magazines that cant be lost. Loading a revolver can be almost as fast as with a magazine loaded weapon if you practice and have speedloaders.

>> No.255870

>>255865
Guns to be looking out for in a short term social collapse , in otherwords periods of time that will be short (a few months to maybe a year) until society recovers and everything goes back to normal.

>223. Rifle (ammo m16 uses)
The reason this rifle is in the short term catagory is because all of this ammo would be gone a few years into a long term social collapse. Its great because its specifically good at killing people. Its round is very fast and can travel pretty far , but its smaller than other assault rifle rounds like the Ak47s 7.62x39 thus it might take 2 to 3 shots to put somebody on the ground. You want to avoid a gun with a direct gas impingement system , this mean the gas travels all the way through the tube to the reciever to cycle the gun. The reason this sucks is because its mechanically unreliable and requires religious cleaning. You want a short or long stroke piston system in your rifle because this eliminates half the cleaning job. Rifles that do this are the FN scar , the HK416 , the SKS , the ak47 and all its other variants and some other guns you can google.

>> No.255871

>>255870
> 9mm automatic handgun.
Some may argue this should be in the long term catagory since the ammo is so common , I would argue that long term a gun unless its something like a glock or walther p99 or ppq , wont hold up very long in a post apoc. These are great because the amount of ammo they hold in a single magazine is massive for a handgun , something like 15-17 rounds of ammo in a single mag. which is alot of firepower for something you can hold in 1 hand. Make sure you get a proven gun , the best on the market is a walther ppq.

>> No.255875

Guns are good short-term but you can only do so much stockpiling. Plus they're noisy as fuck, unless you're planning on going subsonic, in which case your rounds will be even scarcer.

Get good at building crossbows and their ammo, as well as firing one. They're pretty silent and pretty lethal.
Also, you can build them out of everything, as well as the ammo.
Bonus points for makong slingbows.
Look for JoergSprave on youtube.

>> No.255876

>>255875
noise really isnt an issue. All the people still alive after the collapse will have guns and lots of ammo. It will stop being a gun and start being a tool in this society. You will hear gunfire all the time.

But yes get a crossbow or a nice slingshot for ultra long term use.

>> No.255878

but the most important thing you can invest in other than guns is alchohol and lots and lots of water containers with good water filters. People dont often think about things like water in survival situations , but people will not be fighting for food in the post society , they will be fighting for clean water.

>> No.255880

bumping cuz cool thread

>> No.256062

again

>> No.256164

>>255880
>>256062
Fucking knock it off you little cunt

>> No.256517

>>256164
lolno

>> No.256639

>>255683
probably look up some basic self defense moves on top of the better advice on here. always good to know what to do without a weapon.

as >>255692 said get a stick. hell make/buy a walking stick and most people wont thing twice about it. easiest diy would be finding a nice branch, sanding it down and coating it with boiled linseed oil or something for waterproofing/shine

if you dont have a weapon i hear (read too lazy to verify it) that it isnt that difficult to fuck up someones knee if you can kick them in the side of the leg.