[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 295 KB, 800x2962, Mini Cooker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
239416 No.239416 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, I am about to go out camping and I need a camp stove and I know there is a how to recipe how to make one. Do you know it?

>> No.239468

You just posted one.

>> No.239505

There is another better one.

>> No.239516
File: 1.38 MB, 896x1280, 1294800816461.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this what you look for, my brother?

>> No.239522

you know those are shit right

>> No.239527

Search YouTube for "Swedish torch"

>> No.239530

>>239516
>>239416
These are terrible tutorials for these.

The both their cans are fine and the first one is better than the second one, but the way they support things like pots is really shitty and ha to be a fucking joke. You need something that 1 isn't touching the stove and two isn't flimsy.

The best things to use are hardware clothe and flashing. With both you can make a collar that is high enough to allow a proper gap above the stove and since they are circular they are very stable to put pots on. just make them a decent sized diameter for your pots. The flashing ones are good when there is wind and you can make it with a few air holes near the bottom.

I practically have an OCD moment when either of those two images are posted because the supports are so fucking terribad.

>> No.239529

>>239516
Thank you very much!

>> No.239531

>>239530
Or just put up 4 beercans?

>> No.239548

Cat stoves are better and simpler, these are just a waste of time.

>> No.239550
File: 35 KB, 824x660, catstove.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Same principle with less issues

>> No.239807
File: 8 KB, 395x304, tray.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get an aluminum tray (pic related)
The rim will easily support a small pot.
Punch a load of holes along the sides and in the base to allow air intake.
Prop it up on some rocks or wood to let air circulate from underneath.
Use hexamine tabs for fuel.
Pack rigid items inside it to stop it getting squished in your pack,

>> No.241364

Op Whats your problem? do the one on the picture, its easy as shit, i recently made one. if you consider the design being too hard (for me one of the parts bursted several times when putting togehter) search for 'alcohol stove' in youtube, youll find a ton of tutorials and stuff. just pick one out, these are really easy to make and work pretty decent in my opinion.

>> No.241393

Even if you take a stove you should know how to build a fire. The best natural fire for cooking is the dakota fire pit.

>> No.241399

>>241393
Dakota fire pit only works if you have the right conditions for it. Learning how to make a simple 'log-cabin' type fire would be more useful in more varied situations.

>> No.241449

>>239416

Made one of these. Was okay but was garbage compared to my Trangia. The height of the whole oven should be one centimeter shorter and the space between the inside cylinder and outside cylinder should be filled with a wick. I would suggest non-stretch bandage (no elastic) or cotton wool balls teased into shape.

The trouble with the height was that the thin aluminium walls were not conducting the heat well enough to vapourise the fuel when a pot was placed over the stove. The stove went out very quickly, even though there was ample space for oxygen to enter the stove. A wick and reduced height should remedy this by bringing fuel closer to the flame and bringing the flame closer to the fuel.

As for the pot holder. The method shown is a recipe for disaster. The stove is easily tipped over. Burning fuel everywhere!

Instead aim to make a device like the Trangia Triangle. Its three flat pieces of steel or aluminium.
Your next concern is pots and pans, Aluminium or Anodised ones are long lasting and light weight. I have non-stick pans because they are easy to clean, but I warn you, they are easily damaged.

About to go camping, practice run of breakfast. Oats and banana. Shit was cash.