[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 34 KB, 539x277, sdaasdasdsadsad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
238185 No.238185 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/. I have literally no hobbies except vidya games, I really want to change that. My father presented me garage as bithday present, and I want to create little lab in it(not meth or shit like that). I decided to start with smoke bombs.
Can I ask you for your help.
1)How to start, what to read
2)safety rules and equipment
3) necessary ingredients

All help would be appreciated, pic related, this is what I'm planning to start with. Good/bad idea?

>> No.238195

> little lab
> not meth

What do you want to make? What do you hope to do after making some smoke bombs? Explosives? Something else?

Generally speaking, chemistry is kinda bad hobby nowadays. Whenever you try to buy reagents, some fag will think that you're making bombs or drugs. AFAIK in some US states you can't even buy glassware.

>> No.238250

>>238195
>What do you want to make?
I am planning to start with smoke bombs and carefully move to more dangerous stuff

>Generally speaking, chemistry is kinda bad hobby nowadays. Whenever you try to buy reagents, some fag will think that you're making bombs or drugs. AFAIK in some US states you can't even buy glassware.
Its not a problem in my country

>> No.238272
File: 505 KB, 990x2218, Smoke grenade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just something I picked up.

>> No.238278

I'd also like to know.. I can't find KNO3 anywhere in stores, and I don't do online shopping. Damn.

>> No.238285

>>238195
>Whenever you try to buy reagents, some fag will think that you're making bombs or drugs

to be fair, that's what 90% of bedroom chemists are making

>> No.238288
File: 162 KB, 800x1200, 1337856799175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DIY rule of thumb no explosives.

That said You are going to want a shed a fair distence from your house.
Always de-energise your body by touching grounded metal objects away from your work station.
Zero or low humidity is bad while high humidity is also bad. Low humidity is prone to generating static. High humidity can danmage your chemicals.
Always wax metal parts before using them around chemicals (prevents static discharge).
Use more fuse than you think you need.
You will need a nice scale, that can accuratly weight to the ounce.
Thats all I can think of right now.

>> No.238303

>>238278

Look for tree stump remover. The ones that are in crystal form are pretty much 95+% KNO3 you just gotta grind it down if needed.

>> No.238321

Sounds like you have a copy of a certain cookbook, be careful with that mate the recipes aren't always trustworthy in that thing.

>> No.238330

Something easier (and more useful) would be thermite. It's just aluminium powder and iron oxide powder. Make sure that it's ultra-fine (if it's coarse, it might not work, so consider building something like a rock tumbler).

aluminium powder can be bought, or obtained from machine shops, (old[?])etch-a-sketches, and soda cans.
iron oxide can be made easily enough, or bought at paint stores (it's a component of... red[?] paint).

it's something like a 3:8 or 1:2 ratio aluminium powder to iron oxide powder ratio.

This stuff is actually pretty useful, all things considered. It's basically instant welding dust, provided you manage to get it to light.
It burns amazingly hot, though. Be careful that anything flammable is nowhere near.

>> No.238333

>>238288

'no chance of accidental ignition' LOL

If you accidentally ignite thermite you are in a very dangerous place, such as the inside of a furnace. FTWDK: thermite has a very high ignition temperature and is typically ignited with burning magnesium

>> No.238340

Not OP but i'd be interested in a smoke grenade as well. Particularly a "cold burning" one. I have a general idea how to make smoke grenades itself, I just need to figure out how to burn at a lower temp.

>> No.238344

>>238272
this one here, the last one is more likely to produce an explosion than "poisonous smoke"

just a protip

>> No.238343

>>238330
best method of incognito ignition? Magnesium ribbon burns bright as fuck

like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCsbZf1_Ng

what is this "touch paper"

>> No.238347
File: 18 KB, 264x234, corundum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP i can confirm that the saltpeter/sugar works for a smoke bomb. I did that in my 10th grade chemistry class with a friend we stole shit from the lab lol. We didn't use saltpeter we just used pure KNO3

You can also cut up a bunch of ping-pong balls and place them in a foil container-thing
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIg0QSSHovA
if you care to look at this video. It's not as cool as the sugar/kno3 though

>> No.238350

>>238347
potassium nitrate you say? chem fag here. get yourself an oxidizer and turn your smoke bomb into a real bomb : P

>> No.238605

>>238350
Not a very good chem fag.
KNO3 IS the oxidiser in black powder.

>> No.238657

>>238185
I also want to start "smoke bomb diy" how dangerous this method is?

>> No.238660

>get on craigslist
>buy a vintage minibike frame
>put a harbor freight "predator" 6.5 hp engine in it
>go 30+mph on your monster bike

fuck smoke bombs

>> No.238701

>>238657
It's safe enough if you melt the ingredients in a pan and keep the flame low. If it catches fire, e.g., if you're dumb enough to use a metal can as the pan it won't explode but globs of the stuff will start shooting into the air. Worst that could happen is you get burned or blinded if you're not wearing goggles.

>> No.238729

>>238701
thank you

>> No.238734

I'm more curious about how OP got a garage as a birthday present.
> Dad: drunk, forgot his son's birthday.
> Son: "It's my birthday today!"
> Dad: "I got you a present, uh"... looks around... "that shed over there."
> Son: "You mean, your garage?"
> Dad: "Yeah."
> Son: "It's on your property. It has your car in it."
> Dad: "Happy birthday Nick."
> Son: "Nick's my brother, I'm David."
> Dad: "I need another drink."

>> No.238738

>>238734
Something like this, really. I think parents literally forgot about my birthday. Garage is ~2miles away from home btw., thats why I can do anything I want there

>> No.238743

>>238734
lol'd so hard, kudos anon