[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 281 KB, 1280x960, Photo0390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23650 No.23650 [Reply] [Original]

i have 3 old, obsolete computers from the early 2000s. what can i do/make with them that is cool or useful? i haves some basic knowledge of computers, and i have basic hand tools. i just kinda need a new project to keep me busy.

any suggestions?

>> No.23685

ARCADE MAME
DOITFAGGOT

>> No.23695

Make server.

Host a website.

Make a packet radio station (there's guys that still run Commodore 64s for this).

The options are limitless.

>> No.23704

Try making a server

>> No.23714

>>23685
i don't really have the stuff/money for woordwork.

>>23695
i'm not even sure if they'll still start up. they've been out of commission for about 5+ years

>> No.23726

I know it feels like a waste, but the best use would be to donate/recycle/trash them.

Generally, any sort of "always-on" function (like a media sever) you could repurpose them to would be offset by the cost of electricity to power them.

>> No.23730

explore the true power of your computer.
see how much you can do with "slow", when you use proper software.

like the fellow anon before said, a good idea is building a arcade google "Puppy Arcade 10"

>> No.23733

>>23714
If you're too lazy to even see if they work, then why bother asking us what to do with them?

Throw'em in the dumpster.

>> No.23743

>>23714
Send me those computers, then

>> No.23744

try one of these projects:
http://www.heise.de/mach-flott/projekte/

>> No.23749

In the hard drives are neodymium magnets, super powerful and fun to play with. Neat little motors in various drives etc. I like to get the LEDs, switches, wiring, etc for use in other projects.

>> No.23755

Keep the computers working individually, install Windows 95 or whatever (probably abandonware by now) and install StarCraft, Quake, or anything else that is old but still fun.
Connect them all with simple network cables, or connect them wirelessly to a router.
Enjoy your LAN lair.

>> No.23764

y, dismount them all and use it as decoration on wall. full working pc on wall.

not for everyday use, just for teh lulz, a girl can be amazed with that.

HARDMOAR: Use all working pcs to do LOIC stealing WIFI from anyone.

GODMOAR: Buy a SSD drive and put it on ur CAR in PROMODE using a bigger alternator and one moar battery. CARPUTER!!!

>> No.23779

>>23733
no i'm pretty sure the reason i have them is because my grandparents gave them to me. i'm pretty sure when i start them up there's going to be a blue screen saying some file is missing or something. i don't have restore discs, so i never bothered with them. like i said, they're obsolete, so i didn't see a point in getting them running. i'm just trying to find something to do with them, whether it means fixing them and using them for something, or taking them apart and using pieces off them for other stuff.

>> No.23802

>>23744
is there a way to change the website language to english?

>> No.23818

take all the shit out and grow some weed in it.

it's easier than it sounds, look up some guides for "stealth growth" PCs to grow with.

then either smoke it yourself, or if your not into that, then sell it and get double the profit of what those computers were originally worth.

>> No.23822

Provided you can get some flavor of *nix running on them and find a compatible controller that will allow you to run SATA, you can easily make them into NAS servers for your LAN.

Don't need much power (processor wise) just to store files. The only drawback is most older machines have larger power supplies.

I use a older box from the late 90's like this for backups for personal stuff. I don't leave it running all the time though-I'll turn it on about every 2 weeks and run a backup to it while I'm at work-then shut it back down when its done. I have a friend who uses a *nix box like this for his website, it doesn't get a ton of hits, but it works well enough that hes not paying some provider $30 a month for hosting for a small site.

You can get NAS servers fairly cheap nowadays depending on the use, but most of them have sub 1GHZ processors in them, some kind of light *nix system and maybe a gig of ram. You probably have that all sitting right there already.

The only problem will be drives if you can't get modern SATA working-IDE is getting harder and harder to find, and for a fileserver you'd probably want larger drives.

>> No.23835

>>23802
what web browser do you use? I use google chrome and it automatically ask if you want to translate the site to another language such as english.

>> No.23848

is that a penis on the side?

>> No.23859

get your old hdd from it and make this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK9en2H7rBA

>> No.23877

>>23835
firefox

>>23848
yep. the whole case is covered in dicks drawn with crayons. inside and out

>> No.23885

hmmm...I'm in OP's shoes.

no, seriously, i have like a dozen obselete computers that run perfectly. they all have win 98 or 95.

what do?

>> No.23890

Make this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eg8Bh5iI2WY#

>> No.23895
File: 82 KB, 795x612, b8c57e8b783075a5..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23744
>usb rock

seems legit

>> No.23903

You can run pretty much any server application on these old machines; FTP, HTTP, gopher, torrent, eMule, DC, hamachi, vidya gaymes etc.

>> No.23926

>>23885

486 to Pentium 1 era?

MS-DOS VIDYA GAYMEN!

Lots of info on old PCs for gaming: vogons.zetafleet.com

>> No.23945

>>23926
mainly Pentium 3 and some random AMD shit.

maybe a celeron here and there.

>> No.23957

>>23945

If that's Athlon or K6 then it's not shit at all.

Those PCs will make fine servers.

>> No.23965

>>23650
Shouldn't you keep the cases and continue to use them, given that cases these days are as feeble as shit?

>> No.23973

grow marijuanna in each box

>> No.24026

>>23957
the only question on my mind now is why would i need a server -_-

>> No.24060

>>24026
I didn't need one, I just wanted one. (This was in the late '90s) Now I can't live without it. A Linux box is perfect if you want to be able to access your home network from wherever.

>> No.24078

>>23973

is it popular to grow weed in a computer case to trick thermal cameras in helicopters? why have i seen them being used so much for it