[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 125 KB, 721x721, rubber_soul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
235957 No.235957 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone here have any experience repairing/replacing rubber soles for dress shoes?

The local shoe repair guy only works on hard soles... he just told me to buy a new pair of shoes. However, I really like my current pair, cant find a similar replacement and the soles are going to be disintegrated pretty soon.

Can I buy replacement soles? How exactly do I do a decent job?

Thanks in advance.

>> No.237285

Doubt OP is around to read this, but fuck it.

OP, it all depends on the type of shoe you're talking about, and the type of damage/wear they've sustained. Posting a picture would help.

Chances are, your expectation isn't going to be worth it. There's a reason your local shoe repair guy can't help you.

Think about it. Fixing shoes is how he makes his living. It's his job. His LIFE. If HE tells you it's not worth it, man, it ain't worth it.

Most shoes aren't made to have their soles replaces. It's cheaper to make the shoe with molded rubber soles that are attached with adhesives, as oppose to hard leather that's properly stitched.

There are Vibram half-soles, made to be attached to leather-soled boots to increase traction on smooth surfaces. But these are thin, and aren't really made for repairing cheap rubber shoes.