[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 364 KB, 1214x2400, 1339330487833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
232701 No.232701 [Reply] [Original]

brought this back from /b/.

two questions:

1) anyone else have graphics on how to make wine?
2) what's the purpose of the glass of water in the pic?

>> No.232704
File: 33 KB, 396x528, s-type_airlock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1) sorry no got rid of all my pictures to damn many (16,000 kept the backgrounds though)
2)when making alcohol you cant let any oxygen go into it this ruins any chance of getting alcohol, instead you'll have funny flavored something. Basically the guy was to cheap to purchase a air lock pic related

>> No.232705

dont do OP's pic either that shit will be sweet and not very good, good tip is go to a homebrew shop and use white wine yeast, fresh fruits pulped just remember to filter it after or have hanging in a fine gauze, dont know about the sugar either i just use honey

>> No.232706

>>232704
sweet, thanks.
I was looking to make some wine on the cheap,
any advice?

>> No.232707

>>232706
look at mead, it is the best ever and simple (shake water and honey together add yeast) shits easy

>> No.232708

>>232705
oh, awesome.

what about his setup, though?
can I do that?
it seems like it would work.

>> No.232711

it should but with the yeast he uses you will most likely end up at about 5-9% alcohol content, and the amount of sugar he uses seems excessive. But hey give it a try and refine as you like remember to leave it till it stops bubbling

nearly forgot the improtant part CLEAN OUT EVERYTHING THAT YOU WILL USE TO MAKE IT I LOST 10Lt OF MEAD TO A INFECTION OF BACTERIA

Have fun

>> No.232722

>>232711
oh, i know about the cleaning.

and i was referring to using the airlock like he did,
not the ingredients.

>> No.232725

>2) what's the purpose of the glass of water in the pic?

dude was too cheap to spend three bucks on an airlock that would work hella better than the hose and cup setup

>> No.232726

>>232725
airlocks are that cheap?
well shit.
I guess I'll just go and buy one, then.

>> No.232728

>>232726

Hell, I overestimated the cost...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/airlock-s-bubble-type.html

$1.25

so, seriously, don't use a hose and cup setup that can get knocked over and make a mess. use the tool that was designed to do the job

>> No.232731

>>232728
will do.
any other tips?

i was wondering what the best way to sanitize the jug was.
i misspoke earlier: i know the importance, not how to do it.

>> No.232734

>>232731

For glass equipment, I used a fairly strong bleach and water solution and then rinsed with very hot water.

For plastic equipment, I used an Idophor sanitizer solution - which is based on iodine - and then rinsed with very hot water.

Have you read up at homebrew websites? If not, then you should.

>> No.232735

>>232734
i probably will.
i was just looking to do something quick, but hey:
if you want good, then you gotta spend some time on it.

thanks for all your help.

>> No.232736

>>232735
>if you want good, then you gotta spend some time on it.

Very, very true.

Good luck!

>> No.232751

>>232731
After about 2 weeks to a month, the fermentation will slow down and you'll see a lot of sediment on the bottom. This is dead yeast and you need to get the wine off of them before it starts giving off flavors.

Basically, keep an eye on the bubbles coming from your airlock. When you see maybe one bubble every 30 seconds that's about the right time to Rack it. Then you use a siphon to move it into a clean jug without transferring the sediment over.

Cover it with a double layer of napkin/paper towel and rubberband it around the neck of the bottle to allow any additional CO2 to escape during the secondary fermentation.

Then wait about 3 months, Rack it again. Then wait about a year for it to age. During the aging any weird flavors will slowly drop off, and the longer the better.

>> No.232760

>>232701
>>232722
>>232725
>>232728

The water is my blow-off tube airlock. It is extremely simple and highly effective and is very commonly used with high You may note that it actually blew off foam into the reservoir. Had a normal S or 3-piece air lock been used they would have clogged and may have caused a messy eruption.

>Blow-off Tube:
>A venting tube exiting a bung and either fitted with a valve or seated in a sulfite solution. When a demijohn or carboy is used as a primary fermentation vessel, the blow-off tube allows foam formed during the initial, violent period of fermentation to escape without disturbing the integrity of the airlock.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/glossary.asp

I know /diy/ is not full of retards, but this thread man.... the people answering question know only enough to get themselves into trouble. I could write a book with enough corrective material from the absolute bad information posted ITT. It is like you are all trolling the OP.

>>232705
Incorrect. It was one of the best wines I've made. It is a sweet wine though, not a dry wine and finished as close to 16%ABV as possible though it was more like 16.3%ABV I think.

>>232711
Fleischmann's bread yeast is extremely powerful and I've had it reach 19%ABV. You treat that yeast like you would Lalvin EC-1118 as both have the same needs and flavor profiles. You may interchange them in recipes, though I recommend a slightly cooler environment with Fleischmann's yeast than with EC-1118. Be warned though, leave lots of head space or use a blow-off tube because Fleischmann's has more foam (which protects it greatly from infections).

>> No.232770

>>232760
woah, OP here.

so you made that graphic?

what kind of wines do you prefer?
if you like sweet stuff,
your "not sweet" might be too sweet for me.

>> No.232771

>>232760

oh, and is the difference noticeable depending on what yeast you use?

>> No.232808

>>232770
>>232771
>graphic?

Yes. The original thread was on /ck/ a few years ago and included the entire recipe, not just the image; hence the numbering.

>wine you prefer?

Mellow ones and sweet ones. Dry is fine. I don't like overly tannic wines. I made some 19%ABV and 0.989S.G. attenuated dry stuff. The really dry high %ABV stuff like an aged kilju is good for mixed drinks.

>difference between yeasts?

Yes. Some yeasts give you floral flavors for instance. Some make the brew taste beer-like and have a "hay/barley" flavor. How stressed the yeast is, plays a massive role in how well the brew will taste. A very stressed yeast will rupture its cell walls and expel innards into the brew, tainting it with pretty bad flavors. They can also produce other types of alcohols, other than ethanol, while they are stressed. These fusel alcohols/oils can be really bad tasting. Most wines have these to an extent and this is why wines take a long time to age. The aging process mellows the harshness of these flavors through a slow oxidation process.

Among fermentation yeast variants, there are some pretty good charts on everything from their perfect environment to their flavor profile.

As a rule of thumb, don't swap one yeast type or brand for another if there is a recipe that calls for a specific yeast. If you swap them without knowing quite a bit about both yeasts and the recipe, you may not get a good result, or at worst won't get the same result as what the recipe calls for. I don't recommend bread yeasts even if it is Fleischmann's unless a recipe calls for it, you know specifically how to deal with it, and/or you want to experiment. though, if you must use a bread yeast, Fleischmann's brand is what I recommend.

>> No.232867

>>232808
holy informative, batman.

thanks a million.

shoot me an email so i can stay in contact with you during my wine-making,
if you don't mind.

email: skinny_viking@yahoo.com

>> No.232874

>>232867
My apologies, but I don't do that sort of thing. You can find me here and on /ck/ in Homebrewmen threads. Both boards have quite a few brewers. Though, I don't post as much as I once did, I still lurk.

>> No.232916

I made some Appfelwein last semester and while it was okay, it wasn't good.

Anyone got a recipe for something sweet, easy, and high alcohol content?

>> No.233044

>>232760
Late post is late, sorry for hassling your setup Tepache ive only heard from brewery shops telling me to stick to yeast designed for brewing and yours kinda just looked like your average bread yeast and i dont know that brand in AUS

I used a larger container (20Lt) so never had any problems with foam, but yeah the tube will work much better than the airlock

Aha i was right it was gonna be sweet, more of a personnel preference really. Im more impressed with the ABV content you got ill have to look into Fleischmann's yeast next batch i make.

im happy i checked this thread out when i woke up, if anyone wants recipes for other flavours or something different check out ciders or mead usually they have tons of different recipes on the websites ive seen and ciders im sure you can easy make stronger than normal for yourself.

>> No.233092

>>233044
go to homebrewtalk.com

yes you want brewers yeast unless you want to make something like a sweet mead because bread yeast cant handle that much sugar resulting in a more sweet flavor this is good in some cases because it can mask impurities

>> No.233256

>>233092
These statements are completely incorrect and based exclusively on ignorance. A bread yeast like Fleischmann's is often used to restart a stuck brew because it is more aggressive, hardier, and can take far higher %ABV than typical yeast strains without being stressed. When used properly, its only real drawback is the amount of foam produced (for which is was designed to make).

The juice in the OP pic plus the added sugar gives it a max of about 3.8 cups of sugar can result in a max of 16.68%ABV. The wine is just barely sweet with very little residual sugars left over at all. This is because I stopped fermentation before it became dry, using potassium metabisulphite. Otherwise, it would have completely used up all sugars in the brew becoming extremely dry.

You can't mask "impurities" with sugar. You can only age them out, which is what you are supposed to do in the first place.

After bottling:
Tepache: 3 days of aging
Kilju: 1 week of aging (if you age past this, it no longer is considered kilju)
White wine: 6 months to 1 year of aging
Light red wine: 1 to 1.5 years of aging
Dark red wine and light meads: 1.5 to 2 years of aging
Dark berry wines and dark meads: 2 to 5 years of aging
Black Elderberry wine/mead: 10 to 20 years of aging

I have meads from a few years ago that I haven't even tasted yet, because they are aging. Most experience brewers tell people not to taste their brews until after the aging process. this is to prevent newbies from tossing out perfectly good batches of wine because they think the wine is bad. I recommend that people new to brewing taste their brews at every step along the way while keeping in mind that if it tastes bad at that point, it will more than likely taste great after proper aging. You can get invaluable information this way.

>> No.233257

>>233044
Brewery shops want you to buy their products, not the grocery store's products. Each yeast is different. Just as all brewing yeasts are different, so to are bread yeasts.

I've used nearly every wine yeast there is and several bread yeasts. If you want to experiment as much as I do then go for whatever you wish. Any failures you have should be well noted and you will learn a great deal from them; perhaps you'll learn more from those than your successes.

>> No.233319

>>232760
Glad you caught that one Anon, I was just about to activate my rant about relying on only an air lock. Blow off tube is the way to go during the first few days when happy yeast is happy. Having a blowout is no fun.

You can change to an airlock when things calm down a bit. Also, I use a bit of vodka in my airlocks to prevent contaminentation from other bacteria that can hang out in just water; changes in temp/pressure can result in water getting sucked into the airlock.

>> No.233600

>>233319
>changes in temp/pressure can result in water getting sucked into the airlock.

Which is why I use long tubes now. Though, it only happens when the yeast is almost completed fermentation and there's hardly any internal pressure.

I don't rely on standard airlocks anymore now. I have like 30 of them, but I've converted to blow-off tubes for some time now.