[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 190 KB, 1280x960, finger nut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
223770 No.223770[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone got any D.I.Y. accident stories? Pic related.

Person tried to remove a 5/8ths nut from an impact socket by sticking his finger in the nut, while the air hose was still connected to the impact wrench. He then pulled the trigger of the impact wrench, and the nut spun onto his finger.

If spoiler images was enabled on this board, I'd spoiler this. But it isn't, so I can't. Please endure it.

>> No.223773
File: 32 KB, 802x618, 1db05643a6119da9443bf29f6e6900de-dvngcd[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't f

>> No.223774

Not anything worth mentioning. I once accidently nailed myself to some OSB with a nailgun. Straight through the palm of my hand. Didn't hit any bone, nerves or big bloodvessels though. Not really any blood, just a few drops.

Bump for interest.

>> No.223775

I had a story where a guy nailgunned himself through the bollock and into his leg once. Not sure if it was true though.

>> No.223777

It's measly in comparison but a small chip of steel once flew into my eye underneath my safety glasses. I was polishing some steel with an angle grinder. Luckily I had access to an eye fountain and I guess it got out because nothing bad ever happened.

>> No.223779

OP im pretty sure your story beats whatever you will find. The fact that the nut actually screwed itself up his finger is just amazing.

>> No.223783
File: 126 KB, 800x600, 32423423424234234768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>My sis and me moving the cacti from the garden into the house because of the winter
>flowerpots are dug in ground level, have to grab the upper and small part of the pots to get them out
>on pot breaks, the cacti slips and BAM: 1.5 inch long spike right across my sisters thumb
>at first try to get it out with pliers in the first moments of full adrenaline - doenst work ofc
>finally go to hospital, slice all through the thumb to get it out

>> No.223793

Once tested a compressor by plugging the outtake with my finger and turning it on.
The fucker built so much pressure that when I lifted my finger off the pipe the exiting air gave me a nasty burn and shot some chips from the sawed copper pipe into my palm.

>> No.223798

Had a buddy that was helping his dad redo their roof. They were using air-nailguns, and to speed things up he taped down the trigger so all he had to do was bump the nose to pop in a nail.
He forgot the trigger was taped and as he came down the ladder the nailgun bumped against his leg.... *fwomp!* nail straight into his leg. They took him to the ER. Said it was ok til the doc said something to a nurse and she brought in a Craftsman toolbox. Doc took out a pair of pliers and proceeded to pull the nail out.
Xray showed where the nail went in and deflected off the bone. My buddy said he could feel it grinding against the bone as the doc pulled it out.

>> No.223801

My technician at college had a friend who was using a tablesaw to cut a thick piece of wood and the wood bonded after passing the splitter which made the wood splinter and shoot back at the guy. Two friends had to saw parts of the wood off him to get him into the ambulance, lost 5ft of his intestine. He's been a technician for 37 years and is still scared of them.

>> No.223804
File: 2.26 MB, 2448x3264, 2012-05-26 08.48.01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Adjusting the timing on a '63 chevy.
Leaned on the fender to light a cigarette.
slipped.
right thumb got caught between the fan belt and the harmonic balance (pulley on end of crankshaft)
It took what seemed like forever to pull my hand away, I should have yanked all the spark plugs wires off the distributor. but it's kinda hard to think when your hand is being chewed up.

3 surgeries, docs managed to save all my fingers. Last joint on right thumb doesn't work, got some nerve damage.
Still very cautious around running motors.
pic related -it's my thumb

>> No.224013

I was making a kilovolt generator with some diodes and capacitors, though one of the caps was discharged, woke up an hour later with no feeling in my body at all for the next 5 hours

>> No.224018

>>223798

Made all the more stupid because putting your finger on the goddamned trigger doesn't take any time at all. Most roofers that use guns bumpnail.

>> No.224023

a shitty jack bent and dropped a most of a tractor on my foot once, surprisingly I just got a badly bruised toe, and I wasn't even wearing steel caps or anything(although from what I've heard steel caps can be more trouble than they're worth when subject to that kind of weight)

>> No.224024

Itt nightmare fuel omfg.

Not enough wood to knock on. I'm glad I have been so lucky

>> No.224028

My dad cut almost cut his finger off at some kind of saw, maybe bandsaw, in a factory making furniture. He said it was barely hanging on and then he rode his bicycle to the doctor to get it stiched.

>> No.224040

Damn. Wish your friend luck, hope they save his finger, also remind him he's retarded and as an aside, he did successfully get the nut out of the impact socket.

>> No.224053

brother chopped finger off cutting meat at home with cleaver; doctors reattached np
sorry no pics, occurred before digital cameras

>> No.224081

Working as a crane operator. I was working at a power station when the electricity arced onto my crane. I jumped off the truck and never got hurt. Crane caught fire and burned to the ground. Miracle I wasnt killed

>> No.224090
File: 21 KB, 350x522, HITACHI-CB75Fenl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

always remember anons; band saws were originally invented to cut apart carcases when butchering on an assembly line. Shit will go right through your hand like buttah

>> No.224094

when using a table saw to cut wood don't cut when your supposed to tear and vice versa.

it will kick back at you and fly across the room, and your shop teacher will sit there and let it happen because some lessons are better learned the hard way.

>> No.224097
File: 6 KB, 251x189, 1319293241883.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224013
>>I was making a kilovolt generator with some diodes and capacitors

the little wizards in the wall outlets don't like it when you play with their magic

>> No.224101
File: 145 KB, 652x878, di.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Harley, decker
>odd noise
>side of road, on ground looking under bike
>transport truck blows by
>bike tips opposite of kickstand
>arm pinned under bike exhaust
>old ladies stop, can't get bike up
>20 minutes later, bike is off
>parameds try to take to bad hospital
>instead ride 45 minutes to better hospital
>5th degree burns
>visage after skin graphs

>> No.224102

>>224094
>kick back

only had this happen once and thankfully it was a thin piece of masonite. Hit me in the hip on the way out, left a pretty good bruise.

>> No.224103
File: 1.44 MB, 310x240, 1329965058652.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224097
>the little wizards in the wall outlets don't like it when you play with their magic

I spit my coffee

>> No.224119

Had a grinding mask and safety glasses on
Grinding metal on truck

Get a piece of metal in eye, its in the white part
Try and wash it out and doesnt work, still hurts moderately
go to sleep

Wake up look in mirror its starting to leave a brown ring around it so I go to the eye doctor that day

He puts shit into my eye to numb it, uses an apparatus to hold eye open and he uses a fucking dremel like tool to grind it out of my eye

Weirdest thing in the world to see and hear someone grinding your eyeball out

It left a knick in my eye, so I had to wear an eyepatch and apply some sort of gel twice a day for a week

Hurt really bad when it numbing stuff stopped

I wear goggles now, fuck safety glasses

Luckily nothing else bad has happened (knock on wood)
I got too close for comfort to a table saw cutting round stock but thats about it

>> No.224122
File: 24 KB, 300x205, 64161467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Having been a mechanic and a machinist I've been lucky enough to work with both knuckleheads and wise old farts that I'm super careful and no incident- there. Plenty of stories from shit witnessed though.

On the DIY front- took 300 volts across the heart working on a tube amp. Was being careful, just not careful enough. Dazed for the rest of the day.

Bought some industrial strength insecticide and a gallon jug with a little hose and spray nozzle. Shit was awesome (from coastal South, discovered that Tucson has big, mean ass roaches)- worked great. Few months later wanted to re-spray. Cheap ass spray nozzle, like a Windex sprayer, gummed up. Took it apart, soaked and rinsed in hot water for at least 10 minutes. Finally tried to blow out a passage by mouth. Lips went numb in like 60 seconds. Was borderline retarded for 2 days after, very strange and scary. Seem to be OK now years later, but wonder how much damage I did to my brain. They took that poison off the market about a year after.

>> No.224124

>>224122
Fucking love that movie.

>> No.224128

It's only a minor few

>Guitar cutting out and being gay and noisey
>O, look, it's not grounded!
>Preceeds to solder guitar while still plugged into live amp
>Zip Zap oh crap

As a young boy
>Help dad in garden
> Hold this post while I hammer it in
>Fuckwit dad proceeds to climb on ladder with sledge (10 ft tall post).
>"Uh dad, this is a horrificly bad idea"
>Herp derp I'm too old to be wrong
>Head of sledgehammer dislodges, flies off handle and hits me directly in the face, the corner very nearly missing my eye. Needless to say I'm fucking planked onto the ground amd wondering how I'm not in more pain despite being quite sore.
>Uh...you'd better get some ice. We'll finish this later.
>Get yelled at for being reckless by both mother and girlfreind
>Life patterns begin to emerge

>> No.224142

I don't have a picture but I was messing around with a bbgun I had laying around so I decided to open it up and to see how it works, it turns out that it was not a bbgun but my dick, I bled to death.

>> No.224144

I was using a razor blade (not in a utility knife, just the blade) and was cutting patch cables for guitar effect pedals
I dont even remember how I was holding it, but pushed blade through too hard and it cut the tip of my index finger pretty far

Had to get stitches

>> No.224156

>>223770
>Nutting on your own hand..

ISHYGDDT

>> No.224159

>>224023
Steel toe boots are meant to protect against impact... not crushes.

>> No.224166

I tried to do some wood work with an xacto knife.....

>when I was 6

didn't end well and knife went into my hand.

I was smart, washed my hands, got the biggest band aid I could find, and pressed it on my hand as hard as I could.

Then I started crying like a little bitch.

>> No.224171

>>224159

All the same, if you're fucked WITH steeltoes on, you're really fucked without them on.

>> No.224213

Was cutting trees down with a Machete behind my house, small trees barely 4 inch thick, arm started to get tired so I stabbed the machete in the ground and my hand was sweaty, slipped over the guard and cleanly cut my thumb off.

Didn't feel a thing, assumed I hit a nerve, so I picked up my thumb ran back into the house put it on ice bandaged up and went to the hospital.

The needle for local anesthesia hurt more that slicing the thumb off.

>> No.224225

My neighbor works as a painter. He was doing a job somewhere and was using a high pressure paint gun (or whatever you call it). He's been in the trade for years and is very familiar with the tool he was using. The gun slipped and literally blasted a 1/2" hole through his palm. It was disgustinng.

>> No.224248

>>224225
i think the most common one i hear of is steel cutting drop saws shattering and exploding into people peppering them like a bird shot shell

i have to wear safty glasses at my desk now in case some dick sneezs and stabs them self in the eye with a pen

>> No.224250

>>224171
Mythbusters episode. Yes, wear steel toes.

>> No.224253
File: 154 KB, 500x624, 1320587740092.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224213
>>cleanly cut my thumb off.
>>no pain
wut

>> No.224259
File: 69 KB, 478x228, sfw dream weaver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224156
>mfw that pun
I fucking hate you, just so you know.

>> No.224261

>Be 4 (oh boy here we go)
>Making Treehouse
>Sawing a branch that's in the way with a hand saw
>Holding end of the branch with all my 4 year old strength, shit is wobbling
>Run handsaw across the top of my hand
>Ended up tearing a vein, bleeding
>Cool part is I've had this badass blue scar on the top of my hand forever.

>> No.224262

tried to sharpen my pinky finger with a pencil sharpener once

>> No.224266

>Be seven
>decide I wanna make a torch
>get stick.
>get plastic bag.
>wrap plastic bag around one end of stick
>light it on fire.
>huge glop of burning plastic falls on the back of the hand that I'm holding the stick with
>not wanting to tell my parents, I rub dirt on the back of my hand to try and put out the burning plastic.
>have a unique burn scar on the back of my hand, since I never went to the doctors for it.

As much as I played with fire as atalented /diy/er#44; I'm surprised I didn't kill myself or anyone else. Or cause any massive property damage. I think the worst I ever did was set my neighbor's car on fire. Shit was awesome, and he got insurance money for it cause they never did find out it was me.

>> No.224287

>>224266
>I think the worst I ever did was set my neighbor's car on fire.
What the fuck were you doing?

>> No.224290

>>224253
when i was 12 i cut my middle and ring finger off just above the last knuckle and it didn't hurt like you would think. i only cried because i was 12 and was looking at my own bones

>> No.224298
File: 28 KB, 260x228, 1337049147070.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>holding down a steel pipe while cutting one of those string-through plastic holder things
>plastic is tough as shit, knife slips off with the force of a brick and next destination: my hand
>PHEW THAT WAS A CLOSE O-
>look at thumb, skin is cut open and I can see my tendon/bone

it's a real minor incident compared to others here but really it's my only trouble experience

well that and burning my finger with a soldering iron.

>> No.224307

>be 15
>be retarded
>had air rifle (.177, probably 900-1200 fps)
>thought it would be cool to see what happens when you shoot charcoal
>put charcoal in pvc pipe
>put pipe on the ground and aim barrel down pipe
>be retarded and not wear shoes
>pop
>OH GOD WHY DOES IT FEEL LIKE THE SOLES OF MY FEET ARE ON FIRE
>lead and charcoal splinters are embedded in/ shredded my feet

That was fucking stupid

I've also stepped on a hot bbq coal that left a nice fat blister.

And I almost melted the skin off of my hand when I tried to make solid rocket fuel with kitchen utensils and a weak understanding of chemistry.

I was not a very bright child.

>> No.224314

Not like any tool in particular caused it but I separated my wrist from my arm and fractured the two bones in my arm from a ground level fall. Surprisingly didn't hurt.

>> No.224317

>>224090
I know this is goddamn nothing, but I skinned myself on an industrial bandsaw I was using to cut down polyethylene blocks for work. Got too comfy and before I realized what was happening a 4-inch spot on my hand is bleeding and all the skin is gone. Thanks be to whatever was watching that day because if I had been wearing the gloves my supervisor tried to make me wear, I would have probably lost the hand instead.

>> No.224381

>>224102
what do you mean 'tear',please ex[plain I'm a complete luddite

>> No.224395

I got a few from growing up waaaaay out in the country where industrial machinery is common and safety classes aren't.
>My grandfather
>As a young man
>Working on a tractor
>Has his hand jammed in the engine tightening a belt or some shit
>His idiot brother doesn't see him
>Brother decides to move the tractor out of the garage
>Brother gets into tractor
>My grandfather has 0.01 seconds of OHSHI-
>Brother starts engine
>Belt rips my grandfather's thumb clean off
>Blood everywhere
>Screaming
>Brother shuts down engine
>Derp, sorry
He had a little thumb-stump for the rest of his life. Did okay without it.

>Neighbour fixing tractor
>Has it up on blocks
>Crawling around underneath it
>Kicks one of the blocks as he's on his way out
>Tractor falls on him; fuckoff huge tire, 6' tall, directly onto his chest
>Can't get it off
>Can't really breathe well
>Can't call for help
>Suffocates to death over the next FOUR HOURS as the tractor squeezes the life out of him
>Wife finds him that evening

>Be me
>Young dude, 11 or 12
>Dad is building a deck for the pool we got
>Yay pool
>Dad needs generator for circ saw on other side of fence
>Tells me to grab it and haul it under the deck for him
>Be shirtless 'cause I'm swimming or some shit
>"Sure!"
>Run around to other side of deck, wait for dad to hand me the generator
>Dad drops the generator on me
>It had been running for the last half hour
>Exhaust pipe or something directly on my bare chest
>MOTHERFUCKEROW
>Drop generator, 2" patch of skin goes with it
>Smell bacon
Took two weeks before I could take a hot shower without crying. Shit sucked. Dad was slightly apologetic.

>> No.224398

story 1:
putting up scaffolding with my friend and we had two poles left over. decide to smash up this shit robot toy i've had since i was like 12 his first swing hits me right in the back of the head I stumble forward and go lay down for a while. He laughs. best friends ever since...

Story 2
> building a bridge between my mums house and the back garden.
>Have to climb it from floor as challenge
>railing snaps and part of it embeds in my head
>Think about how much its gonna suck when i hit the floor.
>hit the floor
>get up and pull metal out of forehead
>fix railing.

Story 3:
>using drill with a socket to put skateboard together
> topless
>friend drills nipple
> nipple destroyed
>use plaster to hold it in place

story 4
>take socket apart during physics when at school
>fat friend turns socket on when i have screwdrivers in socket holes.
>on floor now
>somehow not dead

tl;dr i should be dead.

>> No.224411

Glorious soldering splashes and also one incident where I fell off a ladder and got a toe cut that went to the bone.

Also, in high school, before I actually became interested in DIY electronics, I was given a soldering iron with a stripped cable and got shocked up pretty bad.

>> No.224420

One of my staff was attaching a panel to a cabinet and was drilling a pilot hole pressing the panel against the cabinet with one hand an drill in the other. Drilled through cabinet, panel and through hand. Hand was tuck to panel and he had to reverse the drill to get it loose.

He missed bone, blood vessels, nerves and sinews and just has a small red spot on both sides of his hand to remind him what he did.

I have a burn mark on my thumb half way down and some missing fingerprint where I managed to act as a conductor for the HT coil on a crt tv I was working on. Also scars on the webbing by my thumb where a fish hook went all the way through. Cat to push it through, cut the barb off and pull it out again.

Friend has 2 scars in one foot where he managed to stab through with a gardening fork and an acquaintance has a mark on his foot where he nailgunned himself to some timber when he was resting the gun on his boot and a wasp stung him and he pulled the trigger.

>> No.224421

>>224420
Oh yes and a friends wife has a long scar on her foot due to me loosing control of a nitro buggy and it slamming into her bare foot. cut right down to bone and took 24 stitches.

>> No.224430

>>224398
>tl;dr i should be dead.

yeah sounds like you're very reckless. Why not be more careful, as one day you won't be so lucky...

>> No.224476

>>224430
sounds more like his friends are assholes than him being reckles...

>> No.224501

I'm not sure whether I should be glad that I've never seriously injured myself despite all the dangerous things I do, or terrified because it means I'm most likely overdue.

I've burned myself welding a few times in the past few weeks, but nothing serious... It's all healed by now.
>TIG welding
>lift up welding mask with left hand after finishing weld
>still holding red hot filler rod
>ouch
>scar across jaw line
>week later, do the exact same thing with my right hand wrist
>30 minutes later, welding at a weird angle, joint isn't filling
>drip of molten metal falls down sleeve
>immediately extend arm outward
>drop burns through sleeve and falls to the ground
>didn't get burned despite jacket nearly catching on fire
>crisis averted

>> No.224516

>Work in the oil industry.
>Connecting a flowline to a wellhead.
>Carrying ~60lb adjustable casing choke.
>Go to set down next to gate valve.
>Retard coworker bumps me.
>Slip, drop adjustable choke.
>Finger gets caught between choke and grease fitting on valve.
>Crushed through my fingernail.

Somehow the nail didn't come off, but that was a couple weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the mangled black hole to grow out past my fingertip.

>> No.224538

>heating lead to pour into a mold
>forget to warm mold slightly
>lead explodes thanks to residual vapour
>coats arm, hand with lead.

thanks to the fact i ALWAYS have a long-bladed knife nearby i could scrape it all off before the burns got too severe.

story #2:
>be lathe operator
block gets jammed onto headstock, and i have to reverse the machine to get to the block and remove it. Forgot to turn off the automatic loader, though, so when i loosen the tailstock the loader comes up and crushes my hand between the steel of the loader and the block(which is VERY firmly jammed on).

spent about five minutes trying to rip my hand free until the boss came along and physically tore me out of the machine.

story #3:
>lathe

be working on lathe, and using 4" by 4" by 6" timbers. one of them has a split that runs 5" down, but isn't visible on either end of the block. It comes out, punches through a quarter inch of asbestos then comes down and just clips my head, knocking me unconscious. If i'd have been stood a couple inches further back there's every chance i wouldn't be able to tell this story myself.

>> No.224548
File: 43 KB, 720x540, ouch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was cutting rubber from a tire with a huge knife to make some sandals, it ended like this.

>> No.224552

Not really an accident, but it could have been pretty serious. When I was ~10 years old I put a nail in a vise and started screwing it in, thinking that the nail would bend. That didn't happen and the nail flew straight into the ceiling, missing my eye by (literally) an inch.

>> No.224558

>>224101
3rd year med school here, burns only ever go to third degree, that's when you loose nervous terminations on the area,love how people without any knowledge talk about 4th or 5th degree burns that don't even exist

>> No.224559

>need something from garage
>stand on a screw

went through my shoe and into my foot.
couldn't take my shoe off because it was screwed to my foot.
had to hop to toolbox and unscrew it out of my shoe and foot.

fucking worst feeling i have ever felt unscrewing it out of my foot.

>shoe filled with blood

>> No.224561

>Repairing circuit in garage to which a street lamp is connected.
>Need to maintain lighting for the night while the circuit is off.
>Get one-ended extension cord.
>Plug cord into another live circuit.
>Proceed to cut end of cord in preparation for wiring it to the street lamp.
>Sparks, sparks everywhere, and I lost my favourite pair of pliers.

I got too ahead of myself.

>> No.224674

>working in bedroom years ago, taking apart an xbox360 to fix RROD, stripped out a small screw and decide to drill it out.
>Propped 360 up against leg instead of taking it to the workbench, because fuck it, this screw is tiny and the last thing holding me back.
>Apply too much pressure to small drill bit and the tip snaps off
>Pressure on drill propels remainder of bit directly into my calf muscle
>Amazing gout of blood, pants ruined, takes an hour to stop
>Never, ever use a drill like that again

I've been hurt a lot, done a lot of fighting and have plenty of stories worthy of this thread, but I've never bled like that before. It welled up through my jeans before I even felt pain, and it was dripping down my leg even while I was putting pressure on it.

>> No.224715
File: 1.86 MB, 2448x3264, asset.JPG?id=575536A2-5346-42F0-B95D-51A8EA774822&ext.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DiskSanderz

>> No.224718

>>224674

Congratulations, you punctured your femoral artery and were minutes from death.

>> No.224723

>>224718
The calf muscle is pretty far off from the femoral artery. It probably was a large blood vessel, but it seems to be fine now, lol. It didn't puncture deeply enough for the anterior tibial artery either.

I never went to a doctor for it, since the bleeding stopped and everything else felt fine.

I *was* worried quite a bit until I found the end of the drill bit on the floor. I thought perhaps it had simply slipped off the screw and had broken off inside my leg. 2 years later, I'm completely fine though.