[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 188 KB, 2000x1500, Koss_PortaPro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
213474 No.213474 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /diy/kes
I'm fixing my headphones and I admit I'm a bit of a novice, although I have done it before. I know red wire is right, green/blue is left and copper is earth, but these headphones have a red, green, blue and copper wires, the green and blue are both coming from the left. What the fuck is going on, and how do I connect them to the jack properly?

Pic related, the headphones I'm fixing.

>> No.213531

bump

>> No.213538

You could just try and connect a weak power source (a single AA cell) to each pair of wires with the phones on your head. When you hear a click in the left ear, you know this pair belongs to the left side. But this method won't tell you the polarity, so you remove the blue plastic lids on the backs of the speakers (they are connected by just push-pins, pry it with a pointed knife) and use an ammeter to find out what is connected to what.You may well discover at this stage that one of the wires is broken somewhere along the cable.

>> No.213549

You do realize that Koss Porta Pro headphones have an international lifetime guarantee?

>> No.213551

>>213538
The green and blue both go to th right speaker, but I am unsure what to do with them. Do I just put them in the right part of the jack?

>>213549
The damage isn't covered by the warranty.

>> No.213592

>>213549
I know about the warranty, but unlike you, I also know that it is with a rather high fee around here. It is not a really free lifetime warranty, but they still call it that.

>>213551
The damage is actually covered too, but that's probably why they introduced the fee.

As for the jack:
Heel/Sleeve: common negative
Ring/Middle: right positive
Tip: left positive

>> No.213874

>>213592

IIRC Its like six bucks for shipping here in the states. Where might you be?

>> No.214172

Here in Finland they sent me an "repair kit" which included both headphone speakers with cable & jack included without any fee whatsoever. I didn't even need to send the broken parts back for inspection.

>> No.214311

>>213874
It is an equivalent of $20 and here in the Czech Republic we don't have as much money to throw out the window, so many people don't even buy Koss phones.
I have actually fixed mine myself a few times, it's always either the cable or hairs under the grills.

>> No.214667

>>213474
You know that the Koss Portapro (my preferred headphones, they're cheap and the sound is pretty good; I like me some bass) has lifetime guarantee right? Just send them a mail explaining what's wrong with them, they'll ship you some new speakers, with wires and everything completely free of charge. I sent my mail on monday, got the speakers on friday, no questions asked.

>> No.215014

>>214172

Did you just email them? Or what?