[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 49 KB, 400x300, aeroponics-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
207798 No.207798 [Reply] [Original]

AEROPONICS, DO YOU SPEAK IT MOTHERFUCKER?

No but really. GARDENING THREAD!

I have a small aeroponics system set up for my tomato plants and some watermelons.

Ideas for advanced set ups? How do you do your advanced gardening? Anyone chemistry buffs with plant growth?

>> No.207799

>>Pic Unrelated

>> No.207804

>Implying you're not starting a grow-op

>> No.207818

I'm unsure what a grow-op is.

I like the idea behind aeroponics honestly. You can grow multiple plants close together, vertically, and have increased food yields? Less water? Seems like an all around smart choice system to me.

>> No.207824

>>207818

I don't know what a grow op is either, but if you need help with your... tomatoes... ask some more specific questions.

>> No.207830

here op.
http://www.windowfarms.org/

>> No.207837

Well, my,,,,.. tomatoes. I was wondering what type of nutrients would best serve my plants? A direct spray nossel is going to be pointed at the roots and will mist the whole PVC pipe (get all the roots).

Looking for anyones plans and or schematics so I can increase my fruit yields. Here Aeroponics does wonders!

>> No.207853

>I have a small aeroponics system set up for my tomato plants and some watermelons.
>tomato plants and some watermelons.
Sure...

>> No.207859

So do you spray the roots manually or have you automated it? Is there a central feed for nutrients or do you refill a bottle for each plant? Have you paired it with an aquaponics kit with fish and algae?

>> No.207861

>>207859

I spray individually. I have a really basic set up.

If you want to describe what you just said, I'd like to learn more. What about fish and algae? I have a central tub for all my nutrients/water supply (15-20 gallons on average inside it). It's solid black so as to keep all light out of it (or as much as possible).

>> No.207863
File: 502 KB, 930x580, newprod-Abi-Opener580x930.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FUNNIEST. PLANT. EVER.

>> No.207871
File: 214 KB, 1280x889, 1279731658620.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yo dawg you gonna want to put grape drink in yo watering water and play it 6 hours of classical music. Yo ----..........,,,,,,,,,,,, Tomatos Gon be purp dawg
Pic unrelated

>> No.207872

*6 hours a day You could also play it phish/umphreys/biscuits/panic/dead

>> No.207874

>>207872
Phish. Seriously? Why not just force them to watch fucken nick cage movies, twisted fuck.

>> No.207875

>>207874
i bet that if you showed your plant nic cage movies it would get you mega ripped-
im talking about tomatos btw

>> No.207890

Anybody know any other secrets to increase fruiting quantities?

I want to increase my yields 10x.

Also, if anyone has schematics for small chambers to grow little seedlings into large plants I'd gladly love to have a look.

My tomatoes have been suffering the last few years fruit wise.

>> No.207900

>>207890
More nutrients, more sun.

>> No.207918

>>207900
Any specific nutrients?

>> No.207927

>>207890
Low stress training, supercropping, pruning, etc etc

You should really lrn2 perfect the art of growing in soil outside before spending a fortune on growing equipment that will grow mediocre veggies at best. Sure you can get beastly beefsteak tomatoes and lettuce year round with hydro/aquaponics but nothing, NOTHING, beats the taste and flavor of wild cherry tomatoes and organic outdoor peppers. You can match, if not beat, hydroponic systems with a small plot of land and good composting ethics.

Try to get some Potash in the soil during flowering/blooming for a quick fix booster.

>> No.208154
File: 324 KB, 1024x768, P1000583.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>207927
What he said.

I do maintain a hydroponic setup (2m²), but only use it for leafy vegetables (lettuce, spinach, ..). When it comes to 'fruity' vegetables (tomatoes, peppers,..) I prefer soil. They do fine in hydroponic setups and often produce more (in weight, not numbers; bigger tomatoes, not more tomatoes), but in my experience this gain in quantity comes at the expense of quality. You get the same watery hydroponic tomatoes you buy at the store, and for me that defeats the purpose of growing them yourself. I gave up on hydroponic tomatoes after 4 years of trying; quantity was great but never got the flavor right.

Also, I prefer hydroponics (NFT, DWC,ebb and flow) above aeroponics. Sure, it looks fancy and when working 100% it outperforms hydroponics in my experience, but it sacrifices practicality to do so. It is harder to maintain, nozzles are prone to clogging after a few grow-cycles (tried 3 kinds), pythium and blight take hold easier, in case of system failure or power-outage your plants are dead in a few hours (instead of 1 or 2 days with hydroponics), bigger fluctuations in ph due to CO2 dissolving more easily into the water (H2CO3-complexes), ..

Pic kinda related; my tomato-seedlings two days ago; almost ready to be planted outside.

>> No.208281

Bump for interest

>> No.208292

>>207918
Potassium and nitrogen mainly. Maybe phosphorus too?