[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.22 MB, 1936x2592, IMG_0156.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
206354 No.206354 [Reply] [Original]

im trying to connect a headphone output to a louder speaker, but every time i connect the red and black wires to the white and black on the speakers it sounds distorted and muffled. however, when i touch the silver wire to one of the red or black ones while connected to the speakers, the audio improves drastically, but usually its either vocals that sound good or instrumentals, depending on which wire i touch it to. could it be a problem with power getting to the speakers? the bigger one is a 30 watt, 8ohm and the smaller one is 10 watts with 8 ohms. they are both connected to eachother so when i hook the speakers to the headphone wire the sound comes out of both. any suggestions?

>> No.206358

The silver wire is a common ground, red and black are the left and right channels, so by using just those wires you are only driving the speaker with the difference between them, hence the muffled BS.

You need to use red OR black and the silver, and use 2 loudspeakers.

>> No.206361
File: 2.28 MB, 1936x2592, IMG_0160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>206358
Like this? it sounds significantly better but still distorted when turned up loud

>> No.206372

>>206361
>>206361

Yeah.

The problem you probably have now is that the impedance of your loudspeaker is probably waaaaay too low to be driven by the headphone output of whatever device your using. Theres not really any way round this other than to use a much higher impedance driver (or several in series) or build a small amp.

>> No.206384

>>206372
this guy is right, you can't connect directly to the speaker because of the impedance, search for a small amplifier

>> No.206394

If that's your photo, it looks like one speaker a woofer and the other speaker a tweeter. That would explain why they sound so different.

>> No.207554

OP, you shouldn't just connect the tweeter directly like that. Although it won't play the lows, it will receive their power and turn it into heat, then not only taking the power from the other speakers, but potentially burning! The easiest way to fix this is to connect a cap in series with the tweeter. A 2uF mylar is a good start. It won't be as good as a proper band filter, but should be passable.