[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.28 MB, 2560x1920, positiveandnegativeedit_cleaned.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
205320 No.205320 [Reply] [Original]

Hello everyone, recently I purchased a laser module off of some Chinese wholesale website. As usual, the product came with the wires practically bent off. The problem is that I have no experience in soldering and was wondering if you could give me some tips.

Some questions are...

Do I have to desolder the solder already on the component before I reattach the wires? Or can I just re-heat the solder already on there and attach the wire to that.

If I have to desolder, do I need a desoldering gun?

The only tools that I have are a cheapo soldering gun (cost like $8, 30w I believe) and some solder.

I would appreciate any tips as I am a complete amateur at soldering. Thanks.

Thank you for your time.

>> No.205324
File: 1.42 MB, 2560x1920, negativeedit_cleaned.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

more images

>> No.205328

>>205320
>just re-heat the solder already on there and attach the wire to that.

>> No.205329

>>205320
1. That will likely work.
2. If you have a soldering iron you can remove solder using solder wick. Flux helps too.

>> No.205330

>>205328
Again, I have no clue what I am talking about.

>> No.205332

its a soldering iron, and yes you can just heat the solder while pushing the wire into it.

you never need a desoldering pump unless you are going to be doing allot of do-over work, there is solder wick which works wonders for 99% of jobs.

>> No.205334

>>205330
I was quoting the part that was right.
Though usually you would need to apply some flux to it to make a solder connection right.

>> No.205337

>>205334
Alright, well thanks everyone for your responses. I will do this tomorrow and I might report back!

>> No.205472
File: 40 KB, 562x437, HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>do I need a desoldering gun?

>> No.205478

>>205320

You don't REALLY need to clean off the old solder, though normally you should. If it flows nice and it's not corroded, it should be fine, just add a bit of flux so it doesn't oxidize. your soldering iron is fine, just be careful cause 30w is a little high for a small circuit board like that. You never need a desoldering gun, like it's been said, a wick is just fine as long as you're not removing alot, then you might use a bulb or one of those spring loaded jobs, whichever you prefer. And if you ever think you might do some more soldering, check out some youtube tutorials, they help alot in the basic do's and don't's.

Good luck with your project!