[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 907 KB, 440x248, notearsjustmeow.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2049503 No.2049503 [Reply] [Original]

Anybody know how you break into these fields? I've doing an associates in IT and hope to finish up soon, but I've been tempted to apply for Electronic Tech positions that include openings for trainees. Otherwise most of them want "electrical/electronics" experience in the +2yr range. The same goes for mechanical tech jobs in industrial/commercial sites. My school offers degrees in EET and MET, which I almost jumped on, but I stuck with a generalist IT program based on future growth for network techs (did extra coursework in this stuff, but I'll do certs too). I've always had a passion for learning about tech and hardware, but I never had a chance to actually do the stuff outside of high school, and I was a retarded teenager so little was learned.

I know Electricians and Mechanics go through an apprenticeship and do sponsored learning through unions or trade organizations, but with techs the requirements are all over the place. I've applied to the trainee positions, but I don't expect much luck since they'll see my diploma as a sign that I'm not gonna stick around. I don't want to go back to school for this shit, but I wouldn't reject a career in it if given the chance. IT is nice, but the market is saturated and it looks like I'll have to shell out money for certs while I grind away as a helpdesk monkey (since nobody wants to train lowly network techs anyways). Right now I make 15/hr as a security guard doing nothing, all the local IT positions at an entry level are paying 13-14/hr. All the techie jobs are paying 15/hr minimum consistently. It doesn't help I'm in an automotive hub, and our software job market is peanuts compared to other cities in the same region. I'm in Michigan, so I don't know how things are around the country.