[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 45 KB, 800x800, air.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2042567 No.2042567 [Reply] [Original]

I've acquired a large ish compressor and a water trap and oiler for cheap to run air tools off. Whats the deal with airlines and their stupid nonstandard connectors? Anyone have any resources to help me identify which quick connectors are compatible? I'm running 1/4" at the minute but plan on upgrading later.

Cheers

>> No.2042676

>>2042567
They are pretty standars. There is technically automotive and industrial and stuff, I think some fit into the others ok, but every retail store I have been in with air hoses and fittings, all of the 1/4” NPT fittings fit together fine.

There are high flow and stuff, but with 1/4p fittings, the bottom right is the male quick coupler and that’s typically already installed on the compressor, then the bottom left is the female quick coupler which goes on the tool end of the hose, then top right is the female fitting that normally goes on the compressor end of the hose and certain tools, top left is the male fitting that goes into the bottom of most tools to connect them to the quick coupler on the line.

>> No.2042685
File: 35 KB, 380x380, FCB1FA8E-6B8C-425B-80EE-D8CC8BD5FB16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2042567
>>2042676
Also if you’re looking at running air tools like 1/2” impact wrenches and stuff, it’s worth looking at the high flow fittings. A bunch of brands have them and the 4pc or 5pc pack of fittings is only a couple bucks more for the high flow which will help out on those high demand tools. Pic related, the regular 1/4” NPT fittings are quite restrictive.

>> No.2042745

>>2042676
>the male quick coupler that’s typically installed on the compressor
So when you disconnect the hose the tank blows down?

>> No.2042876

I use 1/4” high flow v connectors on everything I own. With a 3/8 Goodyear hose. They chooch harder and that’s all I’d invest my money in.

>> No.2042985

>>2042745
No. The quick couplers close off the airflow when nothing is plugged in. Also you have the regulator, so you can turn that down to zero and cut off the air before it even gets to the coupler, that will probably hold air in the tank longer if you wanted to do so. The quick connect things can leak a little though, I’m sure they will wear out after a lot of use, but they’re like $8-$10 for a set of new connections.

>>2042876
This too. 3/8” air hose will help for the high demand stuff, plus 1/4” high flow fittings, that should get max power out of anything you would want to run off a 120V DIYer compressor

>> No.2043009
File: 488 KB, 1080x1027, Screenshot_20210227-211139_Chrome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I use automotive connectors for everything.

Pretty sure beppo meant female connection on the air compressor, if it was the male connector the tank would empty every time you removed the hose.

>> No.2043029

>>2042567
I switched all my shit over to Milton "p" style connectors and it changed my life. They are so much better than that restrictive shit.

>> No.2043101

>>2043029
>I switched all my shit over to Milton "p" style connectors and it changed my life. They are so much better than that restrictive shit.

Those look to be the same as the high flow ones from HF... I changed all my stuff over to them. I had shit luck with their automotive style couplers, but these bigger ones have been awesome so far! I bought a shit ton of the older style when they were clearing them out and starting the swap over to Merlin, and have bought quite a few since they did change over to the Merlin brand. I think I did have a few fittings in the ~ 50 sets I bought that I had to modify a bit to work properly. I chucked them in the lathe and shaved them down a touch if I remember right, and then they worked fine as well.

>> No.2043102

>>2043101
Shit forgot to link to the set I'm talking about...

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-automotive-coupler-and-plug-kit-4-pc-63545.html

>> No.2043117
File: 1.93 MB, 320x454, deal_with_it.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2042567
As far as I know, there's metric and other shit. I switched over to whatever I could find at O'Reilly's because I hate Jews and I never looked back. Good luck to you, you fucking OP nigger. LOL.

>> No.2043172

>>2042985
>The quick couplers close off the airflow when nothing is plugged in.
Only the females. So putting the male end on the compressor doesn’t make sense.

>> No.2043175

they are not stupid, OP just hasn't taken the time to understand the new ish equipment he's found himself in. it will make sense if you just give yourself time... btw, you mention oiler', if you have inline oiler at main out from compressor you'll have to have 2 sets of hoses, 1 for oiled-air to pneumatic tools and 1 for oil-free air for dusting. take some time and figure that out OP.